thais who want to show off falang friend

coconutbar

I'm a girl but I've had people seem to want me to go hang out with them but not really be interested in talking to me at all hahhaa and they always want to take pictures with me for some reason.

Many times I've had strangers come up to me and ask to take a picture with me like I'm some kind of celebrity or something hahahaha

The funniest one was a girl using the excuse that she had to take a picture with a foreigner for her school assignment.

I've had the school assignment excuse tons of times...the first 2-3 months I was here it was daily!

• Like 1

Its an odd one isn't it... My best mate is a Thai chappy... we generally hang out in a primarily Thai bar, the people who go there are decent people, everyone knows everyone, its safe and good fun...

As everyone knows everyone we often get talking to friends of friends, strangers become friends etc...

A couple of times I've been chatting away with people I've just been introduced to and the camera's come out... They want their photo taken with me, it feels very strange and weird. I can't figure this one out, other than wanting their photo taken with a token Westerner. Its a little embarrassing, like spending a moment in celebrities shoes without being anything near a celebrity, it momentarily polishes the ego and makes me smile.

In another (younger) bar a few weeks ago, while leaving with my friend I was stopped and asked to pose with a mixed group of late 20 somethings for a photo... I never worked that one out. Again, it brought a smile to my face though.

With regards to 'Showing of the Western Friend'... I used to get that impression sometimes, but the consistency of friendship has been more genuine than that.

That said, given a situation similar to the Op, I'd be very careful about going anywhere with someone I have just met.

anyone else been in the position where a thai justs wants to show off that he has a falang friend????

So he brought you two beers and you became his friend? Normally I hold out for three beers and taxi fare home.

Or was he just using you to attract the ladies, knowing the ladies would head straight for the ferang and generally avoid the Thai guys ?

Just a thought

Another observation about the behavior of 67 million Thai people based on the assumption they all act like workers in the sort of sleazy bar that attracts these "irresistible" farang.

Seriously some of you need to come out in the sunlight from time to time.

Many western foreigners never seems to get tired of the attention they receive based on the white skin, "the Whitey", rather than the person they are.

Me personally, I got tired of it a long time ago...

I have two very good Thai male friends. One, I met through our wives, is twenty years younger than I, the other is about my age and just came up to me in a bar and started talking. They know each other now, through me. I've known both of them for 5 or 6 years and they go out of their way to sit and talk with me whenever we meet. They also insist on paying the tab when drinking or eating. I have had to argue with both of them to share the bill. They seem truly interested in me and what I think about Thailand and other things in general. I've been to the homes of each and to the parents' home of the younger. I attended the wedding of the older friend's son, and am the Thai equivalent of godfather of his grandson. Are they showing me off, I doubt it. Most of the places we frequent together, I frequent alone too, and they both know it. Gee, just like three buddies back in the real world, eh?

• Like 1

Or was he just using you to attract the ladies, knowing the ladies would head straight for the ferang and generally avoid the Thai guys ?

A pimp impersonating a police officer?

Used to happen to me on a fairly regular basis. I started calling it "The Monkey Show". The wife, who's a teacher, would take me

to these teacher functions and I was always the only falang in the crowd. I don't speak much Thai and most of the folks at these affairs didn't speak much English, so it was real uncomfortable for me.

After a while, I just stopped going unless it was a very important "face" thing for my wife.

At first she pitched a fit, but I asked her to put herself in my position and see how she would feel.

After that, she said she would only ask me if it was a V.I.P. affair. However, that being said, I did have one really goofy thing

happen a few weeks ago. The wife said she was going to visit some old classmates and a couple of her old teachers from the early days, and would I please, please, please, do a Monkey Show? I agreed for her sake and we went.

We visited her old teachers who, luckily, could speak a bit of English, and had a nice visit.

After that we went to see her old classmates who, as it turned out, had a tutoring school that was in the middle of an

"open house, parents visiting day". To my surprise, I was introduced to the students as their "guest" English

instructor! I wound up being paraded around to each of their ten classrooms to

give an impromptu English lesson to all the students and was introduced with much fanfare to all the parents. This wasn't a

Monkey Show, it was a three ring circus! Needless to say, me and the little woman, had a serious chat on the way home.

• Like 1

Don't most of us, Thai or Martian, just want to feel good about our lives? Have some substance and meaning to it. Suds and trolling for women aren't my style. I enjoy people and if sharing time with me in civilized manner . . . is good for another, it has to be good for me and my loved ones. I only have one real Farang friend in Thailand and though we work for the same cause, we don't live near each other. The time with my Thai friends save for perhaps one (I'm not sure.) We just enjoy being together. Like myself most are family people and they will never let me spend one baht. I read semi regular, TV and it seems our life and life style isn't common. None of us are so busy that we don't have the time to, Thank God for Life. At least once per day. It remedies more than we can understand or imagine. If you don't already, try it, you will like it. Especially when we don't think things are going our way. Now all proceed and, Let The Good Times Roll. Enjoy your life. Be love.

Just a thought

most thai ladies like to show off their farang men ( if they look ok ) but never had a thai man show much interest

Few times I was also invited into the company of locals (in 3 different countries) what looks at the time as show off as being "friends with a foreign professional"

Yeah, my MIL likes all the village to see she has a farang SIO. There's only a few other farang in the surrounding areas. BIL will encourage me to go wherever with him. At first I thought he was just being hospitable, but since then I get the feeling he just wants to be seen.

Wifey parades me around her school where she teaches.

I guess I'm just too handsome for words?

Can anyone tell me where to purchase the code book to translate some posts.........like.... "MIL" followed by...."SIO" followed by..."BIL".......what is wrong with continuing in plain English seeing as you started that way?

Basic tv abbreviations 101.

Whilst I can guess, although probably incorrectly, you recently posted acronyms, I totally fail to see how Roiet (101) fits in.

Why not use the Queens English so that we can all understand the points that you try to communicate.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

The Queen's English....that is sterling suggestion. Thank you.

I get it quite a bit, up here in the VERY rural north. Am 1 of 5 foreigners within 30km, and the only female. The teachers at school LOVE to take me out with them so that they can introduce their foreign friend to everybody. For the first few months it was cool to meet so many new people, but now over 2 years later it is just almost an inconvenience, especially when they want to go to Lampang or Nan....having to drive a few hours to get there.

So really they are just after free lifts then !

Used to happen to me on a fairly regular basis. I started calling it "The Monkey Show". The wife, who's a teacher, would take me

to these teacher functions and I was always the only falang in the crowd. I don't speak much Thai and most of the folks at these affairs didn't speak much English, so it was real uncomfortable for me.

After a while, I just stopped going unless it was a very important "face" thing for my wife.

At first she pitched a fit, but I asked her to put herself in my position and see how she would feel.

After that, she said she would only ask me if it was a V.I.P. affair. However, that being said, I did have one really goofy thing

happen a few weeks ago. The wife said she was going to visit some old classmates and a couple of her old teachers from the early days, and would I please, please, please, do a Monkey Show? I agreed for her sake and we went.

We visited her old teachers who, luckily, could speak a bit of English, and had a nice visit.

After that we went to see her old classmates who, as it turned out, had a tutoring school that was in the middle of an

"open house, parents visiting day". To my surprise, I was introduced to the students as their "guest" English

give an impromptu English lesson to all the students and was introduced with much fanfare to all the parents. This wasn't a

Monkey Show, it was a three ring circus! Needless to say, me and the little woman, had a serious chat on the way home.

Fine; but did you have a work permit ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sat in a restaurant last night a 4 SCB staff eating there start talking to me and one of the managers asks if he can have his photo taken with me.. not sure why, there are loads of falangs here

You probably look like someone famous.

I had it once and they asked for my autograph.....I signed it Mr Bean.

• Like 1

Fine; but did you have a work permit ?

Nah. It was a one off, spontaneous thing and we've never been back. Even if we do go back to visit, there won't be any teaching going on. I'll be sure of that!

Yeah, my MIL likes all the village to see she has a farang SIO. There's only a few other farang in the surrounding areas. BIL will encourage me to go wherever with him. At first I thought he was just being hospitable, but since then I get the feeling he just wants to be seen.

Can anyone tell me where to purchase the code book to translate some posts.........like.... "MIL" followed by...."SIO" followed by..."BIL".......what is wrong with continuing in plain English seeing as you started that way?

Try this:

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp

Basic tv abbreviations 101.

Whilst I can guess, although probably incorrectly, you recently posted acronyms, I totally fail to see how Roiet (101) fits in.

Why not use the Queens English so that we can all understand the points that you try to communicate.

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

Jargon. The Queen's English may not be up with the times.

Thai people can be very conscious of their position on the ladder of life. If they are near the bottom of the ladder and prone to vanity, then being seen with a wealthy person (all western are considered wealthy) is an attractive proposition.