Australian Overseas Births Register

I wish to apply for an Australian Passport for my son (2 1/2 years old). He has a Thai Birth Certificate & that has been translated into English as required (he has a Thai passport). I have read on the Aust Passport site that we need to include proof of his Australian Citizenship;

APPLICANTS BORN OVERSEAS

If the child does not have an Australian birth certificate, you will need to provide the child’s full overseas birth certificate (with an English translation if in a foreign language) and proof of the child’s Australian citizenship.

An Australian citizenship certificate OR Extract from the register of citizenship by descent OR

Extract from the register of Australian births abroad

I have searched the Australian Embassy (Bangkok) site but can't find any mention of this register. My wife, son and I are in Korea at present, thus a trip to the Bangkok Embassy is not possible. We plan to visit Australia for a week at Christmas and it would be a tad easier if he had an Aussie passport rather than his Thai passport.

Any information would be appreciated.

Pete

You'll have to register him as an Australian citizen first. This takes 5 to 10 days. Then he can get a passport.

The certificate of Australian citizenship is the thing you need. Costs about AUD$200. We are about to go through the process here for our daughter.

http://www.austembassy.or.th/visas/citizenship_eng.php

To be honest, I've never heard of the register.

Having said that, you should be able to do it all in Korea, via the embassy there.