National Park Fees To Double Again....

NedKelly

Excuse me if this has already been posted somewhere else......but I did look and could not find reference to it....anyway, working in the tourism industry we often get news from various tourism related departments.

the latest one is bound to cause many to criticise and threaten to pack their bags and go home.......

National Parks are set to increase the foreigner enrty fee to 400 baht in September 2006.

I wrote an email to them to ask if it is possible for foreigners who live here and pay taxes, to get some sort of exemption from this........so far no answer....one week and counting...

So slash your wrists, jump off your baclonies and hold your horses......they've done it again !!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National Parks are set to increase the foreigner enrty fee to 400 baht in September 2006.

I wonder how many entrants they'll get at those rates...? It may just inject a dose of reality into the Unseen in Thailand TAT campaign, eh? :o

That actually makes it very exspensive. 200 is actually about right, I don't agree with duel pricing, but I think 200 is not too much to pay. 400 on the other hand is alot to fork out for entry to anywhere in Thailand.

Why can't they just increase slightly, maybe 10-20 baht. Doubling is greedy and shows it's not due to increased costs of running the parks etc but channeling the funds to elsewhere. Maybe governments empty coffers?

My Thai wife while in Australia with me and our kids was delighted to see our great waterfalls and national parks "for free".. While we were in one such location we seen a Thai family admiring the falls and we all agreed on the SCAM the Thai authorities are trying to pull on us is ludicrous.. So to one and all, JUST DONT GO... BOYCOTT NOW.. They will see that 50 % of nothing is still nothing, greedy buggers. Ad

Last time I went to a tourist spot, I paid for all of my wife's relatives who were along and I ended up paying the same as it cost for all of them. It's still cheap but discriminatory. Showing my 5 year driver's licence did not work the last time I tried it, does work sometimes.

The in-laws thought it was unfair and agreed with my argument that if I was let's say a tourist from China and just handed over the money, I'd get in by paying the Thai fee only.

Last time I went to a tourist spot, I paid for all of my wife's relatives who were along and I ended up paying the same as it cost for all of them. It's still cheap but discriminatory. Showing my 5 year driver's licence did not work the last time I tried it, does work sometimes.

The in-laws thought it was unfair and agreed with my argument that if I was let's say a tourist from China and just handed over the money, I'd get in by paying the Thai fee only.

Can be done...

Last time we went up to Doi Ithanaon I got in/up for the Local price (8 of us-bit quiet) and later on when we checked out San Kham Ps hot springs... free...Pay for 5 and got 3 free (mouthfull) tics....

Later on went into the Muang Cave later for a looksee and although paid about 15 bt. ea. thought it was the best thing ever...smashing place but not for the closto-phobs. :o

Where we "live" in Mae On is adjacant to a place called the Mae-Takrai National Park...but never been over the mountain yet to have a shufti....NO Gates......looks good on the internet.

Has anybody been in it?

http://www.thaiforestbooking.com/np_home.asp?npid=3&lg=2

Was north of Khao Yai on the week-end, and went to visit a place. They wanted 50 baht for me and 10 for the Mrs. We showed licence, and the silly bitch behind the counter wanted to see my tax return .... we both hacked into her i.e. even is we gave her, she would have no clue how to read one etc....... she got so sick of the verbal abuse, she finally gave in.

Does anyone know where to get a copy of the formal ruling on this. I am so sick of this anti-white / black ( agreed, if you are from China / Vietnam or anywhere in Asia you would sail through).

At the risk of pissing off the very friendly group of people who populate this board, I want to say that this policy strikes me as reasonably fair. Foreigners from wealthier nations should pay more, even if they are paying taxes. It's not really about race or nationality. It's about the assets that make it possible for wealthy Westerners (and some wealthy Easterners) to set up a life here.

I mean, why do so many people decide to retire to Thailand? OK, sure. The ancient wats, the fascinating cultural history, and the beautiful natural resources are part of the appeal. But, let's get real. A huge number of farang come here because it's a very nice place in which to take advantage of unfair imbalances in the global economy.

Why are so many gorgeous Thai women and men willing to hook up sexually with foreign men and women who would find it much harder (though not impossible) to get a date in their home country?

It's the global economy, stupid!

Why do Thai people just smile and laugh when farang butcher their language? And why are they so accepting when we don't even attempt to learn it?

How is it possible that tourists can walk into fishbowl massage parlors and receive two-hour body massages along with "the works" for less than $50 USD?

How is it possible that most farang who have saved up a bit of money can leap ahead at least two or three stars in the classification of restaurants and hotels compared to their home country? Someone who could just barely afford to get a room in a two star hotel in the outskirts of San Francisco that costs $85 a night can now reserve a room in a four star hotel in the center of Chiang Mai that costs only $70 a night! And each beer in the mini-bar costs less than $2! Too tired to go outside for dinner? No problem! Just order room service, and get some excellent Thai food for the fraction of the price of a set-meal at McDonald's.

But wait -- what's that? "Are you trying to tip the waiter? Don't do it, man. They don't tip in Thai culture. And, if you tip more or pay more, you're going to ruin it for the rest of us. Keep the prices low. Don't pay too much. Don't tip too much. We have got to stick together. Seriously, dude. If you have a one-baht piece or five-baht piece left over after a night of serious drinking, you can leave it with the server. But you shouldn't feel obligated to do so. And only do it if the service is really good!"

How is it possible that a farang posting to one of the other forums recently could honestly say that he felt mistreated because he wasn't receiving complete cooperation from his mistress? He was paying her approximately $150 US per month, and she was unwilling to deliver sexual favors and unwilling to gratefully submit to him.

How could this complaint be posted with a straight face?

How is it possible that a proud Thai tuk tuk driver in his mid-30s can turn around to passengers in the back seat and advertise the sexual prowess of the women at Lounge X, Lounge Y and Parlor Z?

How must it feel to watch your sisters, mothers, daughters, girlfriends and boyfriends loving, kneading, and licking farang because they need the money so badly? How must it feel to be forced to basically pimp out the people that you love? Why would you do this?

It's the global economy stupid!

Why do so many companies throughout Thailand have two pay scales? Why do they have one hugely inflated scale for white expats and one super compressed scale for locals? Why do they actually subsidize rent payments for their expatriate employees? Why do some still claim that this is a "hardship posting?"

Why do most farang get to live like kings and queens in this beautiful land? Why are we able to instantly gratify our hedonistic impulses (sexual and otherwise)? How is it possible for long-stay visitors to secure 2-bedroom apartments with maid service and a high-speed connection for less than $800 USD - $1,000 USD a month?

-------

This rant is not intended to serve as a guilt trip. Guilt is a useless emotion. I'm a farang myself, and I'm fully complicit in this madness. I'm not a long-term local, so perhaps these postings come up regularly, and this is nothing new.

I would be lying if I told you that my eyes don't light up when I realize how inexpensive food, drink, digital media and clothing are compared to similar products in the states. And the sexual dynamics work on me as well. I'm just as much a part of this as anyone else.

However, it's time for a reality check. We farang are so very lucky to be here! Life is good and kind to us. When we walk the streets at night, we're actually safer than Thai people who are walking the same route, because would-be muggers and assailants know that attacking a farang is definite trouble.

The tourist propaganda calls this the land of smiles. And, yes, there are so many authentic, friendly smiles in this wonderful place. But, do you ever stop and wonder what else is behind the smile?

If the roles were reversed, how much bitterness would you feel about the smug, post-colonial superiority radiated by the farang?

How much anger would you feel about the fact that the nation's coffee beans are exported overseas, while the only only affordable coffee in town for most Thai citizens comes in the form of cheap, tasteless instant crystals? And, if someeone asked you why you went along with this situation, what might you say?

It's the global economy, stupid.

What about the rows of fiction and non-fiction books with tarted up Thai women on the cover? They boast titles like "Love you long time!" and "Hardship posting volumes 1 and 2." And so on. In these books, Thai women are simply interchangeable receptacles for depressed, fat farang in the midst of a mid-life crisis.

If the roles were reversed, how would you feel? If heavily sexualized pictures of your mother, sister or daughter were on the cover, what yould you think? would you be able to bite your tongue and deal with it? Really? Why?

-----

I'm not trying to be a jerk. But let's acknowledge the situation. When you factor in all of these other ways that the farang benefit, the national park fees really don't seem like such a big deal. Foreigners can afford to pay more. Even retired foreigners can afford to pay more. And they should. After all, why did they decide to retire here? Because their money would go such a long way.

Dear fellow farang. We are the last of a dying breed. Our economic privilege will eventually come to an end. China is ascending. The West is slowing down. And Thailand is slowly but surely back on the track it found before 1997. Of course we all want to take advantage of the cheap food/drink/services while we still can, but plese remember that this is the last gasp of Western empire. Soon, we will be working alongside our Thai hosts -- making similar wages, and facing similar concerns. The more we love the country and the people, the more important it is for us to carry our actual share. So... let's pay more for national park fees! I strongly support it.

Apologies to everyone for the ridiculously long rant. This obviously touched a nerve.

At the risk of pissing off the very friendly group of people who populate this board, I want to say that this policy strikes me as reasonably fair. Foreigners from wealthier nations should pay more, even if they are paying taxes. It's not really about race or nationality. It's about the assets that make it possible for wealthy Westerners (and some wealthy Easterners) to set up a life here.

I mean, why do so many people decide to retire to Thailand? OK, sure. The ancient wats, the fascinating cultural history, and the beautiful natural resources are part of the appeal. But, let's get real. A huge number of farang come here because it's a very nice place in which to take advantage of unfair imbalances in the global economy.

Why are so many gorgeous Thai women and men willing to hook up sexually with foreign men and women who would find it much harder (though not impossible) to get a date in their home country?

Why do Thai people just smile and laugh when farang butcher their language? And why are they so accepting when we don't even attempt to learn it?

How is it possible that tourists can walk into fishbowl massage parlors and receive two-hour body massages along with "the works" for less than $50 USD?

How is it possible that most farang who have saved up a bit of money can leap ahead at least two or three stars in the classification of restaurants and hotels compared to their home country? Someone who could just barely afford to get a room in a two star hotel in the outskirts of San Francisco that costs $85 a night can now reserve a room in a four star hotel in the center of Chiang Mai that costs only $70 a night! And each beer in the mini-bar costs less than $2! Too tired to go outside for dinner? No problem! Just order room service, and get some excellent Thai food for the fraction of the price of a set-meal at McDonald's.

But wait -- what's that? "Are you trying to tip the waiter? Don't do it, man. They don't tip in Thai culture. And, if you tip more or pay more, you're going to ruin it for the rest of us. Keep the prices low. Don't pay too much. Don't tip too much. We have got to stick together. Seriously, dude. If you have a one-baht piece or five-baht piece left over after a night of serious drinking, you can leave it with the server. But you shouldn't feel obligated to do so. And only do it if the service is really good!"

How is it possible that a farang posting to one of the other forums recently could honestly say that he felt mistreated because he wasn't receiving complete cooperation from his mistress? He was paying her approximately $150 US per month, and she was unwilling to deliver sexual favors and unwilling to gratefully submit to him.

How is it possible that a proud Thai tuk tuk driver in his mid-30s can turn around to passengers in the back seat and advertise the sexual prowess of the women at Lounge X, Lounge Y and Parlor Z?

How must it feel to watch your sisters, mothers, daughters, girlfriends and boyfriends loving, kneading, and licking farang because they need the money so badly? How must it feel to be forced to basically pimp out the people that you love? Why would you do this?

Why do so many companies throughout Thailand have two pay scales? Why do they have one hugely inflated scale for white expats and one super compressed scale for locals? Why do they actually subsidize rent payments for their expatriate employees? Why do some still claim that this is a "hardship posting?"

Why do most farang get to live like kings and queens in this beautiful land? Why are we able to instantly gratify our hedonistic impulses (sexual and otherwise)? How is it possible for long-stay visitors to secure 2-bedroom apartments with maid service and a high-speed connection for less than $800 USD - $1,000 USD a month?

-------

This rant is not intended to serve as a guilt trip. Guilt is a useless emotion. I'm a farang myself, and I'm fully complicit in this madness. I'm not a long-term local, so perhaps these postings come up regularly, and this is nothing new.

I would be lying if I told you that my eyes don't light up when I realize how inexpensive food, drink, digital media and clothing are compared to similar products in the states. And the sexual dynamics work on me as well. I'm just as much a part of this as anyone else.

However, it's time for a reality check. We farang are so very lucky to be here! Life is good and kind to us. When we walk the streets at night, we're actually safer than Thai people who are walking the same route, because would-be muggers and assailants know that attacking a farang is definite trouble.

The tourist propaganda calls this the land of smiles. And, yes, there are so many authentic, friendly smiles in this wonderful place. But, do you ever stop and wonder what else is behind the smile?

If the roles were reversed, how much bitterness would you feel about the smug, post-colonial superiority radiated by the farang?

How much anger would you feel about the fact that the nation's coffee beans are exported overseas, while the only only affordable coffee in town for most Thai citizens comes in the form of cheap, tasteless instant crystals? And, if someeone asked you why you went along with this situation, what might you say?

What about the rows of fiction and non-fiction books with tarted up Thai women on the cover? They boast titles like "Love you long time!" and "Hardship posting volumes 1 and 2." And so on. In these books, Thai women are simply interchangeable receptacles for depressed, fat farang in the midst of a mid-life crisis.

If the roles were reversed, how would you feel? If heavily sexualized pictures of your mother, sister or daughter were on the cover, what yould you think? would you be able to bite your tongue and deal with it? Really? Why?

-----

I'm not trying to be a jerk. But let's acknowledge the situation. When you factor in all of these other ways that the farang benefit, the national park fees really don't seem like such a big deal. Foreigners can afford to pay more. Even retired foreigners can afford to pay more. And they should. After all, why did they decide to retire here? Because their money would go such a long way.

Dear fellow farang. We are the last of a dying breed. Our economic privilege will eventually come to an end. China is ascending. The West is slowing down. And Thailand is slowly but surely back on the track it found before 1997. Of course we all want to take advantage of the cheap food/drink/services while we still can, but plese remember that this is the last gasp of Western empire. Soon, we will be working alongside our Thai hosts -- making similar wages, and facing similar concerns. The more we love the country and the people, the more important it is for us to carry our actual share. So... let's pay more for national park fees! I strongly support it.

Apologies to everyone for the ridiculously long rant. This obviously touched a nerve.

I'm sorry, but I misunderstood most of that...

Could you type it again and explain things more completely, please?

-------

-----

Have you been to Thailand? Are you here now? ...

Do you understand even the first part of your refrain? "It's the global economy.."?

If you were a country that wanted and desired the foriegn currency coming in ... would you turn around and treat the tourists and retirees as a minority to milk?

If you object to the "more fun aspects" of Thai life ... please help the Gov't enforce the laws that already exist about it .... or are you forgetting that those same "fun aspects" are by FAR more available to locals than to people not from Thailand? ((Current estimates for prostitution are that country-wide only 10% of the sex-workers work in businesses frequented by people other than Thais))

If you object to cheap housing ... realize that often (not always) the same place rented to a Thai at one price is rented to Farang at a different price. <<Highly illegal where I come from>>

Anyways ... your rant was the same one sided drivel we see in here all the time ... either ... it is UNFAIR blah blah blah ... that Thais/Tourists .... etc ....

Instead of Global economy ... it is LOCAL eonomy .... that is the issue ... live with it :o

Just to get back on track and on topic, i have had several local tour guide industrys here in Kan. confirm that there is a planned price rise to 400 Baht, they are all Thai run and they are just shaking their heads going why, why why. With the very low numbers of tourist right now (in the low season) the planned price hike is rather worrying for them, that come the high season when they really need to make a good income after the low season people will just say no. The parks here are a large source of income for the local tourist agencies and they are very concerned about this.

Putting aside the contentious issue of double-pricing for a moment... I'm sure there will be any number of people who disagree with me, but I have never thought that Thailand really has all that many national parks that are worth seeing for 200 baht, let alone 400 baht.

Dr. Adis Israngkura, an economist at Chiang Mai University and a consultant to Thailand's first and foremost "think tank" (Thailand Development Research Institute) conducted a research project for TDRI on this very topic and wrote the best paper, "Determining entrance fees to national parks: the case of Thailand" that I have ever encountered on the subject.

The paper, published in 2001, made the following recommendations:

1. Higher fees, for all, to the more popular parks with many facilities, which can subsidize the smaller parks with very few facilities.

2. Higher fees, for all, on long week-ends/holidays when parks tend to be heavily visited to help ease congestion and lessen environmental degradation, which will result in increased visitor satisfaction.

3. Annual memberships and lifetime memberships should be offered and available to all.

4. Both Thai and foreigners should pay the same entrance fee, but special services should be made available to the foreign visitor for additional higher fees, such as English-speaking tour/travel guides or English-language information booklets/maps. "The current policy unnecessarily jeopardizes the the image of the overall tourism industry."

5. Entrances fees should be exempted for the elderly, the handicapped, and children visiting on school trips.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I FULLY SUPPORT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE RECOMMENDATIONS.

SJ

Putting aside the contentious issue of double-pricing for a moment... I'm sure there will be any number of people who disagree with me, but I have never thought that Thailand really has all that many national parks that are worth seeing for 200 baht, let alone 400 baht.

Spot on my friend, but don't say it too loud 'cause it seems to piss off quite a few people and you'll probably referred as a cheap charlie. Shhh... don't spoil their grand adventures in the parks :o

1. Higher fees, for all, to the more popular parks with many facilities, which can subsidize the smaller parks with very few facilities.

2. Higher fees, for all, on long week-ends/holidays when parks tend to be heavily visited to help ease congestion and lessen environmental degradation, which will result in increased visitor satisfaction.

3. Annual memberships and lifetime memberships should be offered and available to all.

4. Both Thai and foreigners should pay the same entrance fee, but special services should be made available to the foreign visitor for additional higher fees, such as English-speaking tour/travel guides or English-language information booklets/maps. "The current policy unnecessarily jeopardizes the the image of the overall tourism industry."

5. Entrances fees should be exempted for the elderly, the handicapped, and children visiting on school trips.

good ideas , all of them.

the double pricing issue has always been a contentious one , but whacking it up to 400b is plain crazy. for those prices they will have to actually offer some services and facilities over and above the smelly toilets and minimal information signposts.

and does this mean that all those "attractions" that are privately run and have 2 -tier pricing will double their entrance fees too.

Just a silly question really.

How many of the people reading this thread and posting on the forum regularly visit national parks.

Where I live there are 4 fairly close together and I have been to 2 of them. The last time I went with my family and friends I paid the full farang price of 200 baht (about the cost of a bottle of Sang Som) and the rest of the family all 7 of them went in for free.

I don't go that often but I would venture to suggest that a lot of the protesters about the price pay more than that every night that they sit in a bar drinking beer and bitching about a service that they rarely, if ever, use.

I have been here in Thailand a long time. I love the country and the people (hate som tam) but to my way of thinking the price increase wil only hurt your pocket if you make a habit of going to the national parks 3 or 4 times a week.

If you never go, grow up and stop bitching about something you never use.

How many of the people reading this thread and posting on the forum regularly visit national parks.

Where I live there are 4 fairly close together and I have been to 2 of them. The last time I went with my family and friends I paid the full farang price of 200 baht (about the cost of a bottle of Sang Som) and the rest of the family all 7 of them went in for free.

I don't go that often but I would venture to suggest that a lot of the protesters about the price pay more than that every night that they sit in a bar drinking beer and bitching about a service that they rarely, if ever, use.

I have been here in Thailand a long time. I love the country and the people (hate som tam) but to my way of thinking the price increase wil only hurt your pocket if you make a habit of going to the national parks 3 or 4 times a week.

Yeah , we all can see the logic of your post... :o another one glad to be f....

Good point except you are making assumptions about people you know nothing about.

I, too, have lived here a long time, do not drink (nor hang out in bars) and have visited National Parks in the past but my husband will not go to a place that charges his wife 10 times what he has to pay. He finds the double pricing unfair and offensive. I think he figures that somehow, being his wife, and as he is the one who supports me, I shouldn't have to pay inflated prices simply based on the color of my skin or nationality.

So, you see, for some people, it isn't about the money, but the principle.

yes , double pricing is for those who are happy to be taken advantage of on grounds of race.

this second doubling to 400b should be music to the ears and pleasure to the pockets of those who believe that all foriegners are rich , and all thais are poor , (even the ones turning up at the parks in 2 million baht suv's with 21st century camping equipment and tv's and dvd's ) and its our duty to patronisingly and sheepishly pay them what they unfairly demand of us.