National Park Fees To Double Again....

NedKelly

Pardon me ... revise my former post to say Colleges and Universities

One of the formost Uni's in England recently reduced the number of local students it accepts so it can get MORE foriegners to pay 5X as much tuition ... State Unis in the US have 3 tier pricing resident, out-of-state, and international (guess who pays most?) This isn't $5 3-4 times a year either.

Private schools can do as they like ... but I think State Uni's in Thailand have one rate ..... ((And the American Uni here --- crazy $$ for Thailand-- offers discounts to Thais))

I have never heard of a tax id and work permit in tandem NOT get someone in at local prices.

ALL that being said ------ I'll STILL wait for an official announcement!!!

:D

Here we go again. I'll say it one more time and maybe you'll get it. The UK unis charge more for outsiders because the governement subs the locals. The Thai government does not subsidize the locals when enterting national parks, it rips off the outsiders. :o

Exactly. Same in the US. Some states kick in about 60% of the funding per student. So the student or family is paying more than the base tuition as they pay taxes. Also I know some state universities here in Thailand do charge more for foreign students which I have no problem with.

Double pricing is wrong in most cases, though for national parks I don't mind as they are a state "treasure" and the locals do have more right to them and possibly have paid taxes to support them.

In places like Hawaii tourists that are US citizens pay to go to some parks when locals do not.

That being said 400baht is way overboard. Some foreigners will still go as if you are on vacation and have money and only 2 weeks here you are going to fork it over, but I think the number will drop significantly. Imagine a backpacker couple thinking all the other things they could do with 800baht.

This increase creates a lot of ill will towards Thailand’s tourism authority and goverment. Most people will accept, grudgingly, paying a bit more than Thais but over 300 baht more? No most will be quite pissed. I suspect that this increase will either A. not happen. B. be lowered to 300 or less before it starts. C. be put in place then lowered in the future after a wave of negative sentiment.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes , double pricing is for those who are happy to be taken advantage of on grounds of race.

this second doubling to 400b should be music to the ears and pleasure to the pockets of those who believe that all foriegners are rich , and all thais are poor , (even the ones turning up at the parks in 2 million baht suv's with 21st century camping equipment and tv's and dvd's ) and its our duty to patronisingly and sheepishly pay them what they unfairly demand of us.

I spent over one million baht in Khao Sok National Park last year. I go there every week and all I'm seeing is more cheap charlie mass tourism operators coming in to party. I've seen nothing done to help make this wonderful place a true natural/national treasure.

If you save your receipt you wouldn't have to keep paying entry fee :D:o:D

Say what? I do that already. Each time a new westerner arrives, I must purchase a new park ticket. I don't get where you're coming from... sorry, please explain.

huh?

so ... you are taking 1000 new foriegners a week to the park?

Ok, I can't be bothered to read through yet another double-pricing topic all over again..

However yesterday was a very hot day and had trouble finding a nice cool spot that didn't involve airconditioning or shopping malls. So drove half way up Doi Suthep mountain, then realized it had been a while since I was at Montrathan Falls, which is pretty much the only part of Doi Suthep National Park where money is charged.

Was happy to see the big signs with prices for THai nationals and foreigners gone. Just charged me 20 baht without even having to ask, beg or show my tax id. They let our kid in for free.

post-6796-1150691927_thumb.jpg post-6796-1150691950_thumb.jpg

Had a priceless time.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Was happy to see the big signs with prices for THai nationals and foreigners gone. Just charged me 20 baht without even having to ask, beg or show my tax id. They let our kid in for free.

Had a priceless time.

That's wonderful to hear, Chanchao... :o

and it'll be a very proud day for Thailand when EVERY National Park follows that policy....

great pics, too btw... :D

Pardon me ... revise my former post to say Colleges and Universities

One of the formost Uni's in England recently reduced the number of local students it accepts so it can get MORE foriegners to pay 5X as much tuition ... State Unis in the US have 3 tier pricing resident, out-of-state, and international (guess who pays most?) This isn't $5 3-4 times a year either.

Private schools can do as they like ... but I think State Uni's in Thailand have one rate ..... ((And the American Uni here --- crazy $$ for Thailand-- offers discounts to Thais))

I have never heard of a tax id and work permit in tandem NOT get someone in at local prices.

ALL that being said ------ I'll STILL wait for an official announcement!!!

Here we go again. I'll say it one more time and maybe you'll get it. The UK unis charge more for outsiders because the governement subs the locals. The Thai government does not subsidize the locals when enterting national parks, it rips off the outsiders. :o

Exactly. Same in the US. Some states kick in about 60% of the funding per student. So the student or family is paying more than the base tuition as they pay taxes. Also I know some state universities here in Thailand do charge more for foreign students which I have no problem with.

Double pricing is wrong in most cases, though for national parks I don't mind as they are a state "treasure" and the locals do have more right to them and possibly have paid taxes to support them.

In places like Hawaii tourists that are US citizens pay to go to some parks when locals do not.

That being said 400baht is way overboard. Some foreigners will still go as if you are on vacation and have money and only 2 weeks here you are going to fork it over, but I think the number will drop significantly. Imagine a backpacker couple thinking all the other things they could do with 800baht.

This increase creates a lot of ill will towards Thailand’s tourism authority and goverment. Most people will accept, grudgingly, paying a bit more than Thais but over 300 baht more? No most will be quite pissed. I suspect that this increase will either A. not happen. B. be lowered to 300 or less before it starts. C. be put in place then lowered in the future after a wave of negative sentiment.

So you havn't got a clue what's gonna happen then really! :D

Its in the Thai paper today, ThaiRath. Thai fees will be 80 baht (depending on the park) and foreign fees will be 400.

Briefly Translated From the Thai Rath Newspaper - Today:

It is reported that, commencing 17 Sept 2006, the entrance fees to national parks and wildlife sanctuaries will be adjusted. 28 of the country’s main, large national parks, will raise their fees to 40 (adults) and 20 baht (children)

As for other national parks such as: Koh Surin, Koh Similan and Koh Tarutao etc… the entrance fees will be adjusted as follows: 80 (adults) 40 baht (Children, students etc) Foreign nationals will be charged 400 (adults) 200 (children) at every national park.

Original version in Thai language can be found at:

National parks double in price

Edited by stevesuphan

dont know what all the fuss is about, whats 400 baht :o

Personally national parks bore me to death and you wont see me at one, but if you want to go just pay up or jump the fence. Simple as that.

having a whinge about it doesnt do anything

dont know what all the fuss is about, whats 400 baht :D

Personally national parks bore me to death and you wont see me at one, but if you want to go just pay up or jump the fence. Simple as that.

You're exactly the type of punter they're targetting :o

I guess some people have differnt issues and causes to you, if they find this particular issue unjust then they should voice their opinion. I find the pricing differential to be unjust as well - you don't.

No problem there. If you, however, don't believe that having a whinge will change anything then do you just accept anything that is thrown in your way? You don't have a whinge when the government raises tax on the usual cigerattes and beer? Raises car registration costs? The price of petrol (of whihc more than 50% goes to the government in the form of tax)

having a whinge is a good thing and having a forum to whinge about it is even better.

80 บาท เด็ก 40 บาท สำหรับชาวต่างประเทศที่จะเข้าไปในอุทยานแห่งชาติทุกแห่งผู้ใหญ่เก็บคนละ 400 บาท เด็ก 200 บาท ส่วนนักเรียน นิสิต นักศึกษา ชาวไทยในเครื่องแบบ หรือทัศนศึกษาเป็นหมู่คณะจะเก็บค่าบริการในอัตราเด็ก. .....

No doubt about it......can I shoot me other foot?

...dont try and understand...western humour.. :o

I've been to quite a few of the National Parks and frankly I am not overly impressed. I've seen a lot of garbage thrown around and no one (park officials included) that cared to pick it up. I've been camping in the parks, only to have an extremely noisy bunch of people playing music and drinking most of the night.

I guess some people have differnt issues and causes to you, if they find this particular issue unjust then they should voice their opinion. I find the pricing differential to be unjust as well - you don't.

No problem there. If you, however, don't believe that having a whinge will change anything then do you just accept anything that is thrown in your way? You don't have a whinge when the government raises tax on the usual cigerattes and beer? Raises car registration costs? The price of petrol (of whihc more than 50% goes to the government in the form of tax)

having a whinge is a good thing and having a forum to whinge about it is even better.

I only whinge if it affects me alot, 200 baht isnt something that I would worry about, yeah cigs in my country are 3x then what I used to pay say 9 years ago. But hey if I dont like it I should just quit.

A packet of chewy used to cost me 40 cents, in the city I pay $1.40 but I dont go around stressing about it.

Donz, it's not a matter of stressing, it's a matter of having a public forum to air your views.

I cursed the eastern Distributor, I cursed the tolls and charges . . . growing up in Vaucluse it used to be so easy to get to Randwick for Uni or Edgecliff to park the car before going on to the Cross - - - now? I curse the development they have there. Hate the charges that were foisted upon the population as they live on a promontory . . . hated driving into Pitt Street to work . . . I bitched about it, did I still do it? yup.

Anyway, or many people here this forum is the only place they can bounce off ideas with 'like-minded' people . . .

I visited Phu Kradung in dec 2000, just after they raised entry fees to 200 baht. I also absolutely wanted to re-vist Khao Yai this year and did so, at the price of 200 baht also.

I would have visited many parks in my numerous travels around the country but avoid NPs . Good for Thailand, they don't give a shit, neither do I.

Just note that the cost to enter Florida's Everglades NP is 10 usd for one car-one week. Who is reasonable I ask you?

Donz, it's not a matter of stressing, it's a matter of having a public forum to air your views.

I cursed the eastern Distributor, I cursed the tolls and charges . . . growing up in Vaucluse it used to be so easy to get to Randwick for Uni or Edgecliff to park the car before going on to the Cross - - - now? I curse the development they have there. Hate the charges that were foisted upon the population as they live on a promontory . . . hated driving into Pitt Street to work . . . I bitched about it, did I still do it? yup.

Anyway, or many people here this forum is the only place they can bounce off ideas with 'like-minded' people . . .

The eastern distributor is alitttle different to the 200 baht price rise.

Because the new toll way was trying to force everyone though it and shutting down other roads to jam it up and in some cases people got confused and ended up in the tollway having to pay what $10 or so.

That was effecting the whole city's traffic. This national park is just a price rise which you can choose if you want to go

Is this going to make Thai National Parks some of the most expensive to visit in the world!?

National Parks Service

Seems to have a yearly arrangement where you can visit as many as you like and most seem to charge per car. Feel free to correct me as I'm not from the USA, but this is what it seems from the websites.

Snowdonia

Snowdonia - 2nd largest Nat. Park in UK. No entrance fees.

Also the Lake District has no fees that I can remember neither the Peak District.

Canadian National Park - Banff

Most expensive at a Canadian Nat. Park is around 300Bt. Discounts for yearly,family, senior, child etc etc

The wages they pay are less, their maintenance costs are less, very few run any sort of educational exhibits or information centres that could be compared to others worldwide. Conservation programmes, research programmes??

If they want to lift their national parks to international level, they have to do much more than charge a big number at the gate.

yes , double pricing is for those who are happy to be taken advantage of on grounds of race.

this second doubling to 400b should be music to the ears and pleasure to the pockets of those who believe that all foriegners are rich , and all thais are poor , (even the ones turning up at the parks in 2 million baht suv's with 21st century camping equipment and tv's and dvd's ) and its our duty to patronisingly and sheepishly pay them what they unfairly demand of us.

I spent over one million baht in Khao Sok National Park last year. I go there every week and all I'm seeing is more cheap charlie mass tourism operators coming in to party. I've seen nothing done to help make this wonderful place a true natural/national treasure.

If you save your receipt you wouldn't have to keep paying entry fee :D:o:D

Say what? I do that already. Each time a new westerner arrives, I must purchase a new park ticket. I don't get where you're coming from... sorry, please explain.

huh?

so ... you are taking 1000 new foriegners a week to the park?

No silly Sally... I take a few people per week. We stay for a few days on each trip.

The million baht wasn't for the park fee, but for all expenses - longtail transfers, bungalows, food, drinks, etc. Man, talk about reading between them thar lines. :D

dont know what all the fuss is about, whats 400 baht :D

You're exactly the type of punter they're targetting :o

Touché !!

Just note that the cost to enter Florida's Everglades NP is 10 usd for one car-one week. Who is reasonable I ask you?

And, I might add, the park is well maintained. There aren't piles of trash sitting around everywhere. Loud music isn't allowed. You can't disturb the other guests or wildlife. In other words, they actually enforce the laws!

I said earlier that I would be more than happy to pay even more than 400 Baht if the quality of the parks increased... meaning, Thai laws on protecting the environment are enforced, laws about disturbing wildlife and other tourists are enforced and better management in general takes place. We all know that none of this will happen of course. THAT is why I'm a whinger. :o