Border run crackdown in full force at Thai-Cambodian checkpoints

I will smile wide when I cross through with my non-immigrant type O next week and receive another 90 days biggrin.png

First they stopped the border runners and I did not speak out

Because I was not a border runner.

Then they stopped the TR Visa holders and I did not speak out

Because I was not a TR visa holder

Then they stopped me and there was no one left to speak out.

Before we judge the complexities of how things are done in Thailand I would like to have a look at the fact that the Thai democracy is less than 75 years old. To go into any society or nation one can only hope to understand what this and any other nation facing such historic change goes through. And how it came to grips with old Royalists customs and habits while at the same the time dealing with the newly created establishment. This is the point when this nation was born. I can just imagine what these people went through. They survived ww2...Vietnam...escaped communism and have built a very solid foundation as a modern member of the international community. I would like to get a study sheet on how the first 75 years of America went? Was there any corruption? Was there a class war possible? Did the civil war show how hard it is to get a team together? Where there any carpetbaggers? The American people took several generations to create arguably the strongest nation on earth.Generations that slowly morfed into an organised representative of the people. Love America or not the fact is that democracy is not achieved merely by passing laws. It is achieved just like in America by going through the difficult years to in the end come to a concensus of the majoity. I for one think what we are witnessing is history in the making .It seems to me when it comes to law.the supreme court here, while hated by some, bring down decistions that will one day bring about a fairer system for the nation. I am enjoying being here while it all plays out.

PS

Can someone tell me where to find spell check?? lol

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with this political mess and martial law, they're not relenting on this visa run crackdown.

As I've said previously I have sympathy with some visa runners but you wouldn't be able to go in and out of say the UK, USA, or Aus without a proper visa, so it is understandable why Thailand, or any other country for that matter, would want to get rid of people who stay in the country without the correct documentation.

Except on the Mexican border....people cross over at will.

• Like 1

So if I cross over the thai border by land and re-enter with a single entry 60 day tourist visa, how long will I be able to stay in Thailand?

You can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration giving a total of 90 days. Cost is 1900 baht.

Thank you for your reply, if I apply for a 30 day extension will I need to show any other documentation other than my passport? Is it a simple and straight forward process like the 7 day extension (refusal for extension)?

The new rules present a bigger potential problem for expats in Laos.

I do visa runs to Nong Khai. Sometimes I return to Vientiane same day, sometimes I stay a few days and go shopping. Last month the immigration official for the first time ever grilled me about the number of concurrent visa exemptions in my passport. It took a bit of convincing and pointing out I never stayed in Thailand more than a few days before he would stamp my passport.

I hope they have the same flexibility when the new rules are actually in force.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I will smile wide when I cross through with my non-immigrant type O next week and receive another 90 days biggrin.png

First they stopped the border runners and I did not speak out

Because I was not a border runner.

Then they stopped the TR Visa holders and I did not speak out

Because I was not a TR visa holder

Then they stopped me and there was no one left to speak out.

Yeah but in the words of numerous luminaries on this board, "I'm sorted". wink.png

Because they're cracking down on immigration laws and following the arrest of the two high ranking immigration police officers a few weeks ago I don't think this is just a flash in the pan exercise. Someone has maybe seen an opportunity to get some brownie points out of this.

That doesn't justify sniping at people that have the means or make the effort to obtain the correct Visa suitable for their status in Thailand. We all make choices and sometimes have to live with the consequences.

Mindless speculation, sniping, jealousy, call it what you want. You can always have the last laugh if the prophecy comes true.

Edited by watso63
  • Like 1

So if I cross over the thai border by land and re-enter with a single entry 60 day tourist visa, how long will I be able to stay in Thailand?

You can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration giving a total of 90 days. Cost is 1900 baht.

Thank you for your reply, if I apply for a 30 day extension will I need to show any other documentation other than my passport? Is it a simple and straight forward process like the 7 day extension (refusal for extension)?

Just your passport and copies. It is a simple and routine process.

• Like 1

This is not only about the abuse of the visa system but also about deterring illegal working and identifying criminal elements, particularly those peddling drugs.

If you are a law abiding person then what is happening should hold no fears for you.

This is only what happens in Western countries in any case.

Slight deviation, but as do you mention "..what happens in Western countries .." In those Western counties, when one has a visa, such as a study or retirement visa, you have it, that's it, and you can get on with it. Only in Thailand does one have to report every 90 days, and hand over 1,900 Baht.

That system worked out real well for the US in '01 too

• Like 1

They give them 7 more days to regulate their situation/papers.

Enough time to plan a genuine 90 days tourist visa. Good. Where is the problem ?

I wasn't aware you can get a 90 day tourist visa ?

I arrived here on a triple entry tv and am now nearing the end of my double entry tv which I got from Laos , I'm only 49 so at the moment limited to my visa options so for those that keep saying get the correct visa it's not that easy , I just hope I can get another double entry tv next month. I am not working out here and have proof of funds in a Thai bank ac to show I can support myself ( and gf ) but there's no guarantee I'll get a visa

60 days + 30 extension, walk out to Cambodia, get visa. Walk straight back into Thailand etc. Then apply at immigration for a non o, then after that if you have reached 50 and qualify, apply for an extension of stay. Good luck.

well, at least they give you the time to come back to your condo or hotel to take your possession and leave. Being stranded on the border when you have all your stuff in some room in Thailand it would be extremely problematic.

Don't forget the 20000 cash .... wink.png

Nope, paid for it in the states already, last October.

I just need to walk over and come right back in and get another 90 days, my only expense should be getting the Cambo visa.

Right? I already have a Visa, I am not looking to re-enter on a tourist deal.

Even with this political mess and martial law, they're not relenting on this visa run crackdown.

As I've said previously I have sympathy with some visa runners but you wouldn't be able to go in and out of say the UK, USA, or Aus without a proper visa, so it is understandable why Thailand, or any other country for that matter, would want to get rid of people who stay in the country without the correct documentation.

Comparing apples to oranges.

Don't forget the 20000 cash .... wink.png

Nope, paid for it in the states already, last October.

I just need to walk over and come right back in and get another 90 days, my only expense should be getting the Cambo visa.

Right? I already have a Visa, I am not looking to re-enter on a tourist deal.

You are still required to show proof of funds - the visa does not automatically guarantee you entry.

The reason for traveling to Thailand is "Visit Thai wife/child' and they can ask for docs to prove this.

Also they can detain/question you if they suspect you are working in the country.

So be careful that smile doesn't disappear very quickly when the official you get is having a particularly bad day...

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to be affecting Lao citizens....yet. Two Lao friends of mine got their usual 30 day stamp in the last two days, with no indication that this was going to change.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Laos is a member of ASEAN : some member states do not require visa other get it easily...it is a matter of reciprocity

This is not only about the abuse of the visa system but also about deterring illegal working and identifying criminal elements, particularly those peddling drugs.

If you are a law abiding person then what is happening should hold no fears for you.

Slight deviation, but as do you mention "..what happens in Western countries .." In those Western counties, when one has a visa, such as a study or retirement visa, you have it, that's it, and you can get on with it. Only in Thailand does one have to report every 90 days, and hand over 1,900 Baht.

Correct but that is the Thai system of having a properly issued visa. When you look at the visa fees that are demanded by the UK visa service, for example, they are eye wateringly high.

A Tier 1 visa (General) will cost you up to £2007. Thats right, 100,000 thb. and that comes with strict conditions on what you can, and cannot do. If you want to change your status then you have to reapply and pay all over again.

Thailand is very cheap by comparison.

Very interesting krismagi. Thanks for that.

• Like 2

It doesn't seem to be affecting Lao citizens....yet. Two Lao friends of mine got their usual 30 day stamp in the last two days, with no indication that this was going to change.

You may like to apply for Laos citizenship?

Just in case someone wanted to learn Thai, Walen School can help you with a long term ED visa. Please don't give me hard time complaining to moderators about spamming, especially guys on retirement visas bah.gif . Walen School is promoting Thai language and culture, it is a genuine reason to stay in Thailand long term as it takes time to learn the language.thumbsup.gif

Walen School - learn Thai and obtain an ED visa. wai.gif

• Like 1

well, at least they give you the time to come back to your condo or hotel to take your possession and leave. Being stranded on the border when you have all your stuff in some room in Thailand it would be extremely problematic.

Hence the seven days rule.

They even encourage you to get a proper visa and/or a new passeport to fly into Thailand instead of road runs.

Immigration folks are not that bad...

Actually the lady in charge at Poipet this morning was felling very embarrassed to have to do this.

"Dura lex, sed lex"

• Like 1

Laos is a member of ASEAN : some member states do not require visa other get it easily...it is a matter of reciprocity

It remains to be seen if Lao passport holders will continue to get unlimited 30 day stays.

You may like to apply for Laos citizenship?

Thanks but no thanks.

Members of ASEAN basically get a free ride. wai.gif

"Thaivisa has also received information from Bangkok Buddy Travel Service Co.,Ltd, a tour operator based in Sukhumvit Soi 12, that also confirms the news regarding Poipet border officials only issuing a seven day entry stamp to individuals who are not in possession of a valid tourist visa or non-immigrant visa."

Why the hell should people go to the border if they have the proper visa? huh? A lot of confusion in this post! blink.png

"Thaivisa has also received information from Bangkok Buddy Travel Service Co.,Ltd, a tour operator based in Sukhumvit Soi 12, that also confirms the news regarding Poipet border officials only issuing a seven day entry stamp to individuals who are not in possession of a valid tourist visa or non-immigrant visa."

Why the hell should people go to the border if they have the proper visa? huh? A lot of confusion in this post! blink.png

because they have more than one entry visas

Well guys....today, morning, I've been to Poipet and regularly got 30 days.

I had only two previous "30 days visa exempt" in my NEW passport (many more in the old one).....so now I have three and I reached the limit....next time I will need a tourist visa.....so, please, don't give people out here WRONG information!!!!....I think this will be the rule 'til august

Get your facts straight 90 day report is free, extensions of stay are 1900baht

Hmmm. So when was all this announced? Flying in a week today, and only just read about it. We spend about three to four months a year in Thailand during foreign university downtime, when I'm not working.The missus and kids have Thai passports, so no problem there, but since I stopped working in Thailand about ten years ago, I've never bothered with a visa. We have a house not too far from the border, so I just take the 30 days on arrival and pop over the border fortnightly until it's time to leave.

Anyway, too late to do anything about it now. We'll just have to see what happens when we get there.

Hmmm. So when was all this announced? Flying in a week today, and only just read about it. We spend about three to four months a year in Thailand during foreign university downtime, when I'm not working.The missus and kids have Thai passports, so no problem there, but since I stopped working in Thailand about ten years ago, I've never bothered with a visa. We have a house not too far from the border, so I just take the 30 days on arrival and pop over the border fortnightly until it's time to leave.

Anyway, too late to do anything about it now. We'll just have to see what happens when we get there.

Where are you coming from? It's possibly not too late to pick up a tourist visa and save any potential hassle...