Do It Yourself Shops In Bangkok

tangoll

As hobby, I like to do woodworking and will make some of my own furniture when I move into a new apartment at end of the year. Where in Bangkok can I find do it yourself centers or where can I find lumberyards or shops selling wood/plywood sheets, studs, etc. And is delivery service available?

What are standard sizes in Thailand comparable to US sizes like 4' x 8' x half or 3/4 inch sheets, 2 in x 4 in x 8 ft studs, 1" x 4" and 2" x 2" studs?

I realize that having a contractor or labourer to do renovations or built-in furniture is the norm in Thailand, but doing work like this is just a hobby for me and I have all the time in the world to build work tables, shelves, bunk beds, etc.

Thanks.

In the north where I live wood (lumber) is measured as follows:

Thickness is in inches

Width is in inches

Length is in sauk.....one sauk is half a metre....sauk means "elbow" because the distance from the tips of your fingers to your elbow is about half a metre.

Wood is usually sold green (not seasoned) and the dimensions are for green wood unplaned (rough lumber). Some boards can be bought surfaced one side...like a one inch board surfaced on one side might be only 3/4 of an inch thick. In buying lumber you should examine each piece yourself because at least where I buy there is some reallly bad stuff mixed in with the good stuff so it really really pays to choose carefully.

Sizes for lumber I can usually buy (sometimes they run out of certain sizes) in inches include.......1-1/2 x 3 or 4 or 6 or 8 or 10....2 x 4 or 6 or 8 or 10.....1 x 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or 10........6 x 6. For lengths you can typically buy 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 or 13 or 14 or 15 or 16 sauk lengths....but not every length will be available in every size. I live in a small village so I know the wood store people personally so they will rip 2x8's in half for me if I want 2x4's and they don't have any....etc. at no extra cost and you could probably get a store to do stuff like this for you too but they might charge a small amount.

Flat sheet like plywood and gypsum board etc. can be either 4 foot by 8 foot just like in the US or they can come in 120 cm by 240 cm.....so be sure to measure them before you buy them to be sure you are getting the size you want...and also...maybe find out what size you can get before you design whatever it is you are going to build.

There is a large variety of kinds of wood. Good quality wood...meaning hard wood that bugs are less likely to eat...is called "neuea kheng" which means "hard grained"....neuea means "meat" or "grain (like wood grain) and kheng means "hard".....like ice is nahm kheng..."hard water".

If you want to make furniture type stuff then it is best to avoid the green lumber.....it is hard to find dry wood where I live but you should be able to find it in Bangkok I would think.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Chownah

Just a thought.

Do you need a Work Permit to do-it-yourself??

My understanding is that the answer is "no". WP is only necessary if the work is for the purpose of earning money (although the bartering of goods may also be considered).

Imagine if a person needed a WP to wipe their a*se... work involved, but unfortunately no money received. :o

CAB and chownah: thx for the quick replies. I'll check out the Home Pro at Ploenchit BTS Wave Place when I'm in BKK later this month. Info from Chownah is exactly what I was looking for.

So one sauk = 50 cm = 19.68 inches; therefore 8 ft length = 4.88 sauks or about 5 sauks. And a 120 x 240 cm sheet is almost = to a 4 x 8 ft sheet. I'll check with the people at Home Pro on where to get decent or treated lumber in BKK. So standard US sized lumber is actually used and available.

Since DIY takes work away from the locals, maybe the Thai Govt will issue an edict that a WP is required and is equal in cost to lost wages of locals who would have been hired to do the DIY projects (?). Hope I can get into my apartment later this year and get the work done before the govt latches onto this new source of revenue.

Thanks again all.

As hobby, I like to do woodworking and will make some of my own furniture when I move into a new apartment at end of the year. Where in Bangkok can I find do it yourself centers or where can I find lumberyards or shops selling wood/plywood sheets, studs, etc. And is delivery service available?

What are standard sizes in Thailand comparable to US sizes like 4' x 8' x half or 3/4 inch sheets, 2 in x 4 in x 8 ft studs, 1" x 4" and 2" x 2" studs?

I realize that having a contractor or labourer to do renovations or built-in furniture is the norm in Thailand, but doing work like this is just a hobby for me and I have all the time in the world to build work tables, shelves, bunk beds, etc.

Thanks.

I didn't look for your things, but Klong Toy in Bangkok has nearly everything technical I ever saw in my life.

Just a thought.

My understanding is that the answer is "no". WP is only necessary if the work is for the purpose of earning money (although the bartering of goods may also be considered).

Imagine if a person needed a WP to wipe their a*se... work involved, but unfortunately no money received. :o

Just a thought.

YES, you actually DO NEED a work permit ... the law says clearly, that foreign needs a work permit to work in Thailand, regardless on if work is to be paid, or NOT ... if is it a work for money earning or even a volunteer kind of work or work for your own, Thai law doesn't make any different here ... however, no one shall report you to the authorities when seeing you to work on your house improvment, i guess ... (even wipping your a"se... might remain unreported, hopefully ...)

The chief immigration official in Phuket remarked in a Phuket gazette article a couple of years or so ago that the law is interpreted to allow for hobby activities and if anyone should try to interpret it otherwise that you should contact him and he would straighten them out.

Chownah

Give HomePro a shot at the Ploenchit BTS station. They have some decent branded tools in their store. They might also know about the other information you need.

I would imagine most measurements are in Metric?

Home Pro carry a good selection of wood in planed sizes but are very expensive. Check out any Thai timber sales first as you may save yourself some bahts! :o:D

Go to Bang Po / Soi Furniture.

Wood, tools, sandpaper, fasteners, finish. Everything you need.

Also lots of pre made and made to order furniture.

In Thai it's called "Thanon Sai Mai" (or Soi Wat Batcha, i believe is the official name), runs between Pracharat Rd. (extension of Samsen Rd.) and Thanon Krunkthep - Non. (Bangkok - Nonthaburi Rd. ). Easiest access is from Bangsue railway station.

It's the place in Bangkok for anything regarding woodwork. Toolshops, Wood in all quantities and qualities. It's a Soi about a kilometer or two long, with hundreds of shops dealing in wood related businesses.

Edited by ColPyat

• 1 month later...

I've been to the Home Pro shops on Ratchada Road, Ploenchit, and Prachachuen. The Prachachuen road shop has a wood centre on the 2nd floor which has a variety of good quality unfinished wood in different sizes and shapes that would fit the needs of most diy-ers. If your purchase is over baht 3000, they deliver in Bangkok area. There's also a workshop where they will do simple furniture and staining to your specifications. Here are some representative prices:

Unfinished wood sheet: 100*200*2 cm: baht 2140; finished with stain: baht 2889 per piece

Square poles: 7*7*73 cm: baht 163

9*9*73 cm: baht 287

flat length piece: 10*200*2 cm: baht 226

plank: 1*8*99 inches: baht 780 for better quality wood; baht 306 for poorer quality.

Special sale of their stained 4 leg rectangular table: 80*120*75 high cm: baht 2000. (just as an idea of cost of their own made furniture)

I also went to Bang Po area, and on Pracharat Sai 1 and on Soi Pracha Narumit, you will find many wood working shops and saw mills, etc offering for sale all kinds of unfinished wood, and furniture like doors, chairs, benches, cabinets, bed end posts, etc. I didn't check on prices because to sand and stain the lumber is too much of a job for me. I'd rather just buy the better quality wood from that Home Pro shop and have them do the staining.

Edited by tangoll

Not sure if it would suit your needs, but there are a lot of outfits selling used wood taken from old factories, rice mills, and other structures. If you take the road from Future Park heading towards Nakorn Nayok you will encounter quite a few on either side of the road. No green wood there.

Shellman: yes, Homepro on Ratchada is nice, but no wood centre there; Pracha Chuen road Homepro has the wood centre, so need to go there. Thanks for website; most sections still under construction.

Qualtrough: thanks for info on used wood shops, but I don't need that big a quantity, so the selection, and especially the finishing/staining service and free delivery for over baht 4000 purchase, available at Homepro Pracha Chuen is plenty good enough for me.

In fact, considering the example on the stained 4 leg table, Homepro's promotion price of baht 2000 is less than cost of lumber if you do it yourself. It's the psychic pleasure of doing the table yourself in exactly the size and shape you want that can't be valued in money.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Bang Po furniture / woodwork area?

Could someone give me a Google map location for this mysterious area?

Am I near with this ? 13.8174N 100.5331E

Please, no directions, just a Lat & Long reference.

Thanks. :o

Edited by GungaDin

Bang Po furniture / woodwork area?

Could someone give me a Google map location for this mysterious area?

Am I near with this ? 13.8174N 100.5331E

Please, no directions, just a Lat & Long reference.

Thanks. :o

It's Soi Pracha Rat 24, you were close but it's more like 13.809210N 100.522617E

• 3 months later...

In Thai it's called "Thanon Sai Mai" (or Soi Wat Batcha, i believe is the official name), runs between Pracharat Rd. (extension of Samsen Rd.) and Thanon Krunkthep - Non. (Bangkok - Nonthaburi Rd. ). Easiest access is from Bangsue railway station.

It's the place in Bangkok for anything regarding woodwork. Toolshops, Wood in all quantities and qualities. It's a Soi about a kilometer or two long, with hundreds of shops dealing in wood related businesses.

Hello,

Any map available ?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I went there looking for 2 items

exotic wood (amboyna burl etc)

Band Saw

Essentially the only wood available is teak

I found some band saws, no variety and all 10K Baht

• 3 months later...

On a similar topic of wood working, I'm constantly amazed at the quality of work done by Thais with no power tools. This old boat builder was way up a hidden valley where there was no electricity for 30 kilometers. He was on the final stages of caulking the planking when I took these photos. The boards were all teak cut about one inch thick and about 10 inches wide. The same quality of teak would cost a fortune in Canada. Having built a few wooden boats myself I can appreciate the skill needed to do such a fine job.

Boat_builder_5.jpg

Boat_builder_4.jpg

Boat_builder_3.jpg

Boat_builder_2.jpg

Boat_builder_1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went there looking for 2 items

exotic wood (amboyna burl etc)

Band Saw

Essentially the only wood available is teak

I found some band saws, no variety and all 10K Baht

I also went up there with high expectations and was VERY disappointed!

Sure enough it's a long road, but you could easily cut out about 90% of

the shops there and get the same products in 6 shops instead of the 40 or

so that are there all just selling the same stuff as the shop next door.

Absolutely rubbish! And hardly cheap!

All teak, teak, teak! As if it's a teak-pusher's ghetto or something! No choice to speak

of and only about 4 or maybe 5 places on the whole stretch that sell sheet wood,

each of which are small with poor stock and not much viability to truly go about selecting good

wood (or plywood or MDF or whatever else you may have in mind).

1 place at the end furthest from the river is a larger size and has a bit more choice,

but the prices are hiked up accordingly.

Surely there's better/other places in the whole of Bangkok?

I used to live in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) - a city about a tenth the size of Bangkok - and I knew

about 5 or 6 streets/areas not far out of the centre, where you could go and buy much more

variety of wood and lumber (and MDF/plywood etc) at a fraction of the prices they ask here.

How is that so?

Is it just a well-kept secret or something?

????

Edited by damaja