Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

Can anyone tell me why they have shut all the schools in Thailand. I'm in the UK at the moment and have just spoken to my wife and she tells me our daughter can't go to school until further notice because the military have closed the schools. What rubbish is that !!!! ????

Maybe you should get her to read or listen more carefully.

Schools are closed for three days. Today, Saturday and Sunday. As schools are mostly closed on Saturdays and Sundays it is a little difference to until further notice.

If you read other threads here the official notice is given which is however not surprisingly in Thai.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does this means there will be no flights landing at night,or do people have to sleep in the airport until 5am? what about all the nightshift workers?what about the tourists? what a crap holiday they will have if they cannot enjoy the nightlife.coffee1.gifwai2.gif

As a matter of fact, people are allowed to travel; they just need to have ID's and tickets on them. And the nightlife is crap, anyway.....

Anyone think National Peace and Order Maintaining Council, has a similar ring to Burma's State Peace and Development Council?

More like the "Ministry of Silly Walks". Guess you know your Monty Python?

Anyone think National Peace and Order Maintaining Council, has a similar ring to Burma's State Peace and Development Council?

Got my memdership card written on the back of the licence for my cat

Buses still seem to run. MIL got ticket Khon Kaen -> Pattaya, leaving 8:30pm. She'll be in the bus during the curfew.

Is that good or bad news?

Coming to see you or leaving? biggrin.png

Good news, coming here. I've got a super MIL smile.png

Bus is due at about 7am.

• Like 2

More like the Ministry of Frontal Labotomies and having a serious fascist tendency coupled with group-think.

How does one get a 6am flight, assuming you'd need to be at airport at 5am, leave Sukhumvit at 4:15. Am I going to get shot?

I would leave Sukhumvit at 8pm and go to the airport then. They have said they have made a space to wait. Alternitively see if you can get a room in the hotel at the airport.. Leaving at 4.15 am puts you at severe risk of being late as even if you can get transport you need to ensure that you have got tickets on you and be prepared for any stops at checkpoints. If the drivver is on their list you could have a real problem,

How does one get a 6am flight, assuming you'd need to be at airport at 5am, leave Sukhumvit at 4:15. Am I going to get shot?

I would leave Sukhumvit at 8pm and go to the airport then. They have said they have made a space to wait. Alternitively see if you can get a room in the hotel at the airport.. Leaving at 4.15 am puts you at severe risk of being late as even if you can get transport you need to ensure that you have got tickets on you and be prepared for any stops at checkpoints. If the drivver is on their list you could have a real problem,

Apparently, one is allowed to travel to the airport anytime as long as one is carrying id and travel documents.

More like the Ministry of Frontal Labotomies and having a serious fascist tendency coupled with group-think.

Life has taught me it is better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy! cheesy.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You wake up one day and find yourself in a military run country - who would have thought such a thing could happen ?

I think anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming.

Did you see it coming ?

yep sure did.

If you had two brains, would be twice as thick ? or would that be four ?

tongue.png

Thais love being out at night and who can blame them, the weather is much cooler. It will be interesting to see how strictly this will be enforced...

As an aside, I have not seen one soldier on patrol in Chiang Mai. Just my personal experience...

Well I live here and soldiers are everywhere if you bother to look. All major intersections have several armed soldiers standing, inconspicuously, at the side of the road.

Good night tourism.

I mean how does that even work now?

Many tourists enjoy the night life of Thailand. This is a nail in the coffin for tourism if they are going to be confined to thier hotel rooms after saving all year for a holiday.

My understanding is that tourism only represents about 12% of GDP. I doubt they are not too concerned about tourists as a whole. Clearly, Pattaya etc. will be

Really; did you follow the Rayong oil spill. Believe me; Thailand is very concerned about tourists. It impacts the country in more ways than people think; international trade, investment, etc............
Thailand's biggest concern is tourism. Tourism feeds the government, the scammers and the non existent prostitution industry
  • Like 1

Just got the news some restaurant can close at 2300 today and tomorrow at 2400 this is Mukdahan , they got official letter from police with thise times stated

The days left to your "paradise" are counted.

Not quite sure why you say that. Because the army has taken over? Again? I feel safer on BKK's streets now than when various colored shirts were taking pot-shots at each other.

So then you assume that the colored shirts are knocked out.

Thai people are among the most vengeful in the world.

The country, after this sharp tourist rebuff, has not much to loose anymore. They are now asian last in many things: rice exporters, english speaking, tourist destination. And when a country decides that there's not much to loose, anything can happen, especially with an army like this one...

Call me drama queen if you want... I'm safe here in Canada! ... and I made it to happen: CNX-YUL

D€ck head. Cheerleading for violence safe from Canada. While in the same breath denigrating Thais. No words are strong enough to express what scum you are. Stay in Canada and don't come back.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What a wise man you are! You understood my intention right on: I'll never be back in Thailand.

No need to be cheerleading for violence, it's already going on...and more is coming up as we all know.

I hope by that time all the scums like me will have found their way out. You stay...Cheer!

Ratchada soi 3, off the main road, sitting in thai bar, no one going home, food being served and beers flowing, curfew, what curfew!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good to see some sort of normality coming back. Just read elsewhere as to how many there are of these army folk - "The Thai military now has more than 1,750 flag officers (generals and admirals), a bloated number for a military of its size. Many of these officers - perhaps most - do not perform duties commensurate with their rank and many literally have no job at all. What they do have, however, is the rank, high salary and status among the rank and file that comes with the position of a flag officer.". Blimey no wonder they say the devil find works for idle hands.

It's going on 23:00 hours now and the traffic in Pattaya is light for a Friday night, but from what I can see a lot of people are still walking about, driving, many shops open, motorcy taxis looking for fares, etc. Nothing like last night or what we experienced in the previous curfew a few years ago. I expect if nothing is done about this tonight, by tomorrow night it'll be all but finished.

Has the curfew been lifted? I ask because the karaoke bars in my street are still open and blaring away they did close last night quickly; the two 7/11's are open and people walking in and out ... last night closed quickly; plenty of cars in the street; and all my cable stations have come back on as well as Thai TV. Looked at BP and Nation but did not see anything suggesting it was lifted.

Has the curfew been lifted? I ask because the karaoke bars in my street are still open and blaring away they did close last night quickly; the two 7/11's are open and people walking in and out ... last night closed quickly; plenty of cars in the street; and all my cable stations have come back on as well as Thai TV. Looked at BP and Nation but did not see anything suggesting it was lifted.

I don't think it has been lifted, Jomtien is a ghost town everything closed including the 7/11's

also hardly any traffic on the roads.