Army announces Phuket curfew

Lite Beer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My school's managment just emailed all parents to cancel school tomorrow.

Why? School hours are outside of curfew times.

Yeah probably should have started my own topic on this.

Not sure why. Thai owned, so treading the cautious path on what to do.

A tourist area like Phuket, Bangla and the likes closed. Nuts. Shows like Simon and FantaSea unable to operate..

What about late night flight arraivals ? And departures ?

See other posts.

Apparently tourists arriving and departing from and to the airport will be allowed to travel.

However, expect delays and possibly being checked at road blocks during curfew periods.

Have passport and all travel documents with you in case asked for inspection.

And relax, I've been through this before myself personally in 1992.

Usually only lasts a few days until they feel security is good enough to relax curfew hours.

You, as a tourist are NOT a concern .... just keep calm and go with the flow.

• Like 1

All's quiet on the western front, very quiet, wonderously quiet. I thought I lived in a quiet area before, but with no traffic on the coastal route it's dead quiet. Did just hear activity at the airport, but could just be repositioning for morning flights. Waves on the beach sound like they are next door

As if they are not thick enough here already.Give em another day off to get under peoples feet in the supermarket.

As if they are not thick enough here already.Give em another day off to get under peoples feet in the supermarket.

blink.png

I was woken up at 2am by 4 Chinese tourists who walked from the airport to my hotel.

'Did you know there was a military coup a few hours ago?' I asked.

'No, we have been on the plane for 6 hours - whats a coup???'

'er, never mind - good night!'

:)

• Like 2

A tourist area like Phuket, Bangla and the likes closed. Nuts. Shows like Simon and FantaSea unable to operate..

What about late night flight arraivals ? And departures ?

See other posts.

Apparently tourists arriving and departing from and to the airport will be allowed to travel.

However, expect delays and possibly being checked at road blocks during curfew periods.

Have passport and all travel documents with you in case asked for inspection.

And relax, I've been through this before myself personally in 1992.

Usually only lasts a few days until they feel security is good enough to relax curfew hours.

You, as a tourist are NOT a concern .... just keep calm and go with the flow.

I was also here in 1992, had to fly to Bangkok 2 days after the crackdown where the roads were deserted. No school today so should be quieter on Phuket's roads as well. I hope the rugby is back on soon.

I'm a bit surprised that people did obey the curfew times as well as they seemed to do yesterday. I don't think this curfew can last for many days or weeks. At some point people simply start acting as it would be normal time. Keeping the businesses open for a bit longer, until those are open all the night.

I'm a bit surprised that people did obey the curfew times as well as they seemed to do yesterday. I don't think this curfew can last for many days or weeks. At some point people simply start acting as it would be normal time. Keeping the businesses open for a bit longer, until those are open all the night.

Agreed!! 2-3 days MAX in Patong

The curfew will help cut down electricity usage during the gas plant shut down so hopefully we will at least not have to suffer blackouts.

The electric usage may not be as down as you think, in fact, electric usage may even be up.

Everyone will be now in their home, or hotel room, all with fans, air con, lights, TV etc on, where as with no curfew, they would be out, with nothing on in their home or hotel room, and then home and straight to sleep.

Sure, the tourist areas use a lot of electric, but that electric catered for for many people, at the same time. Now, individuals mush all use electric, across the island, so they actually could end up using more, over a wider area.

So, having an open air beer bar with 5 tourists in it, under the curfew, sees those 5 tourists back in their rooms, each with an air con, TV and lights on.

The big hotels are going to see a spike in their electric usage.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

The curfew will help cut down electricity usage during the gas plant shut down so hopefully we will at least not have to suffer blackouts.

The electric usage may not be as down as you think, in fact, electric usage may even be up.

Everyone will be now in their home, or hotel room, all with fans, air con, lights, TV etc on, where as with no curfew, they would be out, with nothing on in their home or hotel room, and then home and straight to sleep.

Sure, the tourist areas use a lot of electric, but that electric catered for for many people, at the same time. Now, individuals mush all use electric, across the island, so they actually could end up using more, over a wider area.

So, having an open air beer bar with 5 tourists in it, under the curfew, sees those 5 tourists back in their rooms, each with an air con, TV and lights on.

What TV?

What TV?

Over in Kata we still had all the non Thai channels at 10.00 when I set off, but over here in Patong nothing except that rousing (?) Music.

What TV?

DVD movies. Movies stored on a device conected to a TV. Live streaming off the internet and computer, connected to a TV. Downloaded movies. Many ways to TV with a broadcast.

I have about 1TB of stored movies, and that's small, by many standards.

Many tourists travel with a device, usually a tablet, with movies stored on it, to watch on the plane. They also have a HDMI cable so they can plug it into their TV, for rainy days or hangover days.

Edited by NamKangMan

What TV?

DVD movies. Movies stored on a device conected to a TV. Live streaming off the internet and computer, connected to a TV. Downloaded movies. Many ways to TV with a broadcast.

I have about 1TB of stored movies, and that's small, by many standards.

Many tourists travel with a device, usually a tablet, with movies stored on it, to watch on the plane. They also have a HDMI cable so they can plug it into their TV, for rainy days or hangover days.

+1

Agreed!! 2-3 days MAX in Patong

What abo9ut the vibrant night life on the quiet side...Rawai/NaiHarn

Army just seen passing Phuket airport. The online news source which shall not be named also stated that the Navy security personnel from the 3rd Area Command at Cape Panwa will be involved in enforcing the curfew in Phuket.

post-153200-0-70866200-1400830262_thumb.

Where is the police? I rode from aopor to town and first police I saw was in saphan hin.

Traffic was smooth and more polite than normal.

Sent from my Nokia_X using Tapatalk