Aussies warned not to travel to Thailand

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says the Federal Government is closely monitoring the coup situation in Thailand and has urged all Australians in the country to exercise caution.

Ms Bishop has called on Australian tourists in the kingdom to abide by the civilian curfew and stay safe.

She has told the ABC the government is now evaluating the broader implications of the coup.

"We had hoped that the declaration of martial law on the 20th of May would provide sufficient security to allow the political parties to negotiate, leading to the early return to democracy. I continue to hope that a way will be found for all parties to resolve their differences through dialogue. Australia believes the sustainable political stability is more likely to be found if a democratically elected government is restored operating under the rule of civilian law."

Aussies warned not to travel to Thailand

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs has issued a "do not travel" warning for four Thailand provinces.

The department says people should not venture to Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla.

It has also advised against travel overland to and from the Malaysian border through those provinces, due to what it calls high levels of ongoing violence.

Julie Bishop says travellers to Thailand should watch for further changes in warnings from the department as the situation unfolds.

"Our consulate officials will be updating our travel advice. We'll continue to closely monitor the situation and update the travel advice regularly. So I urge people to consult the Smart Traveller website and, if they are travelling to Thailand, to take out travel insurance. It is a volatile situation."SBS 22.05.14

Edited by Chris Lawrence

The 'do not travel' warning is the same on they have had in the UK for years due to the problems in the South.

It's nothing to do with the Coup and has probably been in place for the areas mentioned for several years.

The 'do not travel' warning is the same on they have had in the UK for years due to the problems in the South.

It's nothing to do with the Coup and has probably been in place for the areas mentioned for several years.

correct

• Like 1

correct

Just saves them changing it all the time.

I've just booked my next trip, nov-dec,probably be an election, & another coup by then, seriously I hope this is a step in the right direction, for all parties to sit back & comtemplate the seriousness & gravity of the situation, & move forward with a joint workable agreement representing all elements of thai society, FOR KING AND COUNTRY ! CHOCK DEE !

regards S.S.wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

correct

Same here in N.Z---same-old same-old travel warning

This is a misleading post. It suggests linkeage to the coup when it is really a standard travel advisory 'caution' with emphasis placed on a long standing warning about not traveling to the south.

Most Aussies I know would see a government instruction not to travel as a red rag to a bull.

Maybe the warning is old news, but this would slow me down:

Customers of InsureandGo trying to travel to Thailand are “currently unable to purchase a policy with the company”, according to Julius Paramour, operations manager.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-essentials/travel-news/thailand-military-coup-australians-face-travel-insurance-issues-20140522-38rrc.html

Seems like it's not universal, but I'd read my fine print on any policy that I did buy.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Chris, this is the same warning that has been in place for ages.

Those 4 provinces have been on the SAME list for YEARS.

This is just over sensationalism at its worst

Absolutely.

The OP should be given a yellow card, at the very least, for such a headline given the current circumstances.

correct

Just saves them changing it all the time.

Yeah and most disturbing is that they are now including the whole of Songkhla province, a major transport hub for onward travel to/from Malaysia. I realise there have been some bombings in Hat Yai over the years as well as one disturbing attack at Dan Nok near Sadao last December (the major land border crossing between Thailand and Malaysia) but to issue such a warning for that entire province is a bit far fetched. How are legitimate travelers supposed to travel overland to/from Malaysia then, according to the Australian government? Especially those driving their own cars using the expressway from Kuala Lumpur to the Thai border that happens to end at Sadao? Via the impractical and expensive ferry from Satun to Langkawi and then to the Malaysian mainland? Or via the isolated jungle crossing between Satun and Perak? Anyway, to hell with those overly conservative travel warnings. While I agree that Hat Yai may not be a place to linger over an extended period or somewhere where I would spend any time near a police station, railway station or airport, I don't think there's much danger in spending a night or two or just changing modes of transport if you're coming to/from Malaysia. After all, Bangkok too has been subjected to bombings and terrorist attacks (though mostly small scale) and on NYE 2006 I believe it was southern separatists that placed the bomb near Central World that killed 6 people including 3 foreigners and injured dozens more.

It seems that just one bombing or dangerous incident forever tarnishes the image of anywhere in the world outside the most developed countries in the eyes of the Australian government and can never be recovered from.

Also, some pieces of travel advice mentioned by the Smart Traveller website need to be taken with a grain of salt as they have never been updated to reflect greater levels of security or a change in local conditions or entry requirements etc. For example, the outdated "avoid all non-essential travel along the Thai-Myanmar border" as if it were still 1995 when the Karen army was still shelling Myawady and other border areas. It is actually possible to say that the Thai-Myanmar border area is safer than it's been in decades and there's no problem staying in Mae Sot, Umphang, Tha Song Yang, the Three Pagodas Pass or anywhere like that, even long term. It's the far south of Thailand which is now the problem.

They also mentioned very inaccurate advice about Myanmar border crossings. 4 overland crossings were opened last year (all from Thailand) and no, the China-Myanmar border crossing of Ruili-Muse is NOT one of them. It seems the Australian government was never informed of this, even though a simple internet search or a chat with the Myanmar embassy in Canberra could easily confirm this.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I will arrive Monday week for 2 or 3 months unless they stop me getting on the plane in Australia

Then why would there even be flights from Australia to Thailand, if that were the case? Anyway, obviously no government can tell it's citizens where they can and can't go in relation to going abroad, unless it's the North Korean government or not that long ago, the Chinese government. Australia however doesn't have that power over it's citizens.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Maybe the warning is old news, but this would slow me down:

Customers of InsureandGo trying to travel to Thailand are “currently unable to purchase a policy with the company”, according to Julius Paramour, operations manager.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-essentials/travel-news/thailand-military-coup-australians-face-travel-insurance-issues-20140522-38rrc.html

Seems like it's not universal, but I'd read my fine print on any policy that I did buy.

Indeed. And it's finely balanced at the moment as far as travel insurance is concerned. Watching the ever increasing demonstrations against the coup on the news the safety situation is deteriorating fast, if it continues then it's only a matter of time before insurance companies worldwide stop providing cover.

Thai Airlines Fares hopefully will get a bit cheaper.

Though, I'm not holding my breath ... rolleyes.gif

But if you book Turkish airlines who are really cheap,they use thai airways to travel from Australia to Thailand!!