"Extreme" Levels of Roundup Detected in Food

"Why is this happening? Genetically engineered crops are manipulated in a way that could never occur in nature so plants like corn, soy, canola, cotton, and sugar beets can withstand high doses of glyphosate-containing herbicides that would normally kill them. The result? Roundup in food that people and farm animals eat.

As more and more weeds become resistant to glyphosate and GE technology fails, farmers spray heavier glyphosate applications—and more often. Glypshoate is systemic, meaning it's take up inside of the plant. As nonorganic farmers crank up glyphosate use, the Environmental Protection Agency has been slowly increasing allowable levels of glyphosate in food.

The Norwegian study detected a whopping 9 milligrams of Roundup per kilogram, on average. That's nearly double what Monsanto—the maker of Roundup—deemed "extreme" in 1999, according to an article in The Ecologist. But with the emergence of hard-or-impossible-to-kill superweeds, the EPA has quietly raised allowable residue limits in soy by 200 percent."

http://www.rodalenews.com/roundup-food?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-Rodale-_-Food-_-ExtremeLevelsofRoundupDetectedinFood

Edited by Trembly

Outragious whats going on in our foods these days....then combine the added effect here of numpties that just throw in that little bit extra cos they cannot read..or care...as they do not eat their own produce, except for a little bit extra grown out the back not for sale to the markets.

Do you think farmers here care more about the customers health...or making a quid off of their crop no matter what as income is so small anyway, every little bit helps.

We pay extra and buy organic now wherever possible.....still no guarantee unfortunately

Don't get too excited about 9 milligrams of roundup.

You would think that if it kills weeds, it must be terribly poisonous. My friend whose job is dealing with pesticides, etc. told me that you can drink a glass full of roundup and it will not hurt you.

You would think that if it kills weeds, it must be terribly poisonous. My friend whose job is dealing with pesticides, etc. told me that you can drink a glass full of roundup and it will not hurt you.

And "your friend"'s offhand remark is exactly the kind of sloganist lie that Monsanto uses to defend against scientific proof that this stuff is killing us.

Quite suitable for this forum though.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

• Like 1

Chemicals are a part of agriculture and have been for 30 plus years,they are not going away.

What is needed in poorer countries is more chemical users awareness education about application rates,ppe and with holding periods.

A sniff of spray seed resulting in an instant blood nose makes you realise why only competant people should handle chemicals.

Unfortunately here,a dust mask,a backpack, 200 litre drum and your off to make a living. .

your friend works for the devil , yes true drinking one glass wont kill you today but 5 years , 10 ,20 ?? tell him to get some morals and get a real job ......

Just a few comments:

I AM NOT SAYING THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM.

I have not insulted anyone’s view and I hope that this thread remains civil..

None of my comments are meant to be an indication of my opinion on the GM crop debate. I just think science should be for science and not to promote a particular political agenda from either side. When there is a strong political motive (either direction) I have trouble having confidence in the results. I tend to strongly discount emotional or political arguments in making up my mind on any particular issue. I am open minded to different opinions, but opinions are not fact.

I do think this is more of a global political issue than a Farming in Thailand issue. At best it could have gone on the organic farming forum.

If you go to the original study you will see that the article takes some liberties, which is expected if three is a political objective. This is what magazines due and is acceptable.

The “extreme” level quote came from a 1999 statement made on 15 year old science and different context.

The level of glyphospate and AMPA are combined to get the 9mg/kg result. The magazine says, All of the individual samples of GM-soy contained residues of both glyphosate and AMPA, on average 9.0 mg/kg. This amount is greater than is typical for many vitamins. “ So if it is present in vitamins how toxic is this stuff?

The level of glyphosphate alone is only 25% of the allowable FDA limit.

I can find nothing on AMPA other than it is used in some medicines.

In the study the uncertainty levels are given for chemicals in the organic samples, but there is no uncertainty level given for glyphospate and AMPA. The variance in these was “accumulated glyphosate and AMPA at concentration levels of 0.4–8.8 and 0.7–10 mg/kg, respectively” These ranges would give an uncertainty off the charts. I have never seen a proper study that did not give the uncertainties.

There are 10 different variations of GM seeds and pesticide application, but only one sample of seeds for each variation. This would have greatly increased the uncertainty. It would be nice to have seen the individual results considering the .4 to 8.8 mg range

The discussion section of the study is supposed to be discussion of the data. They wander off topic and make several unsupported statements that have nothing to do with the study. Some of this would have been appropriate after the conclusion.

I would think that they should have recommended investigating how much of these chemicals find there way into human and animal feeds after processing. How much does glyphospate and AMPA break down in processing? And if they are present in animal feeds what, if any, uptake is there in the animals.

Round up smells pretty bad, it would have to taste like crap.

And you would trust the FDA to ensure that the food you eat is safe ??

Please !!!

When I am at home most everything I eat comes from the wet market without any oversight by anyone. I'm sure the FDA couldn't do worse.

Just a few comments:

I AM NOT SAYING THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM.

I have not insulted anyone’s view and I hope that this thread remains civil..

None of my comments are meant to be an indication of my opinion on the GM crop debate. I just think science should be for science and not to promote a particular political agenda from either side. When there is a strong political motive (either direction) I have trouble having confidence in the results. I tend to strongly discount emotional or political arguments in making up my mind on any particular issue. I am open minded to different opinions, but opinions are not fact.

I do think this is more of a global political issue than a Farming in Thailand issue. At best it could have gone on the organic farming forum.

If you go to the original study you will see that the article takes some liberties, which is expected if three is a political objective. This is what magazines due and is acceptable.

The “extreme” level quote came from a 1999 statement made on 15 year old science and different context.

The level of glyphospate and AMPA are combined to get the 9mg/kg result. The magazine says, All of the individual samples of GM-soy contained residues of both glyphosate and AMPA, on average 9.0 mg/kg. This amount is greater than is typical for many vitamins. “ So if it is present in vitamins how toxic is this stuff?

The level of glyphosphate alone is only 25% of the allowable FDA limit.

I can find nothing on AMPA other than it is used in some medicines.

In the study the uncertainty levels are given for chemicals in the organic samples, but there is no uncertainty level given for glyphospate and AMPA. The variance in these was “accumulated glyphosate and AMPA at concentration levels of 0.4–8.8 and 0.7–10 mg/kg, respectively” These ranges would give an uncertainty off the charts. I have never seen a proper study that did not give the uncertainties.

There are 10 different variations of GM seeds and pesticide application, but only one sample of seeds for each variation. This would have greatly increased the uncertainty. It would be nice to have seen the individual results considering the .4 to 8.8 mg range

The discussion section of the study is supposed to be discussion of the data. They wander off topic and make several unsupported statements that have nothing to do with the study. Some of this would have been appropriate after the conclusion.

I would think that they should have recommended investigating how much of these chemicals find there way into human and animal feeds after processing. How much does glyphospate and AMPA break down in processing? And if they are present in animal feeds what, if any, uptake is there in the animals.

Round up smells pretty bad, it would have to taste like crap.

This weird, specious, equivocation you just posted up there (whatever your bluddy name is) is JUST the kind of gewfy word brew that gets cranked out of Monsanto's Skonkwerks.

Roundup is a slow poison.

It doesn't leave you convulsing on the floor five minutes after you ingest it but it will kill you and it may pass the problem on to your children and others in the community.

In a trewly gewfy attempt at feigned fairness you've tossed of that post.

Looks like the Monsanto's obfuscation and prevarication department goes into overdrive and overtime whenever the corporate web-crawler gets a hit.

Grewvy.

Whatever it takes to feed the kids, right ? Whatchername.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

There are two types of farming.

One which uses chemicals,the other which is organic.

Everyone has a choice to buy organic or non organic.

Nobody likes the multi nationals like monsanto as they have you by the balls with their plant breeder rights.

Most farmers are proud of the end product they produce for sale so generally they will do their best to cater for the market using the least amount of chemical possible.

Like all business,farmers work on margins and do what they think will bring the best return which in most cases is non organic.

There are many organic farmers out there,but the percentage is small.

your friend works for the devil , yes true drinking one glass wont kill you today but 5 years , 10 ,20 ?? tell him to get some morals and get a real job ......

Hmm,

Everybody needs a job and professions differ.

If you had a contract spraying business,broadacre you could make $1500 a day profit and that was 10 years ago

Thats not a bad job if you know what your doing.

Or you could drive your car in peak hour traffic and smog the place up.

Each to there own.

is only a part on how they want to lower the population, grow your food most you can and try to buy from small organic growers, if the request will grow, more people will do

Yes and Obama is an extraterrestrial.

I do grow as much at home as I can but I don't go off into orbit about population reduction conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

is only a part on how they want to lower the population, grow your food most you can and try to buy from small organic growers, if the request will grow, more people will do

You better read the other stories on OGF's story page, where has my old OGF gone?

rice555 ;-)

Vibrator Use Stimulates Better Health New studies show most women and nearly half of men have used a vibrator; those who do seem more health-savvy. Plus: Vibrator 101.