Job Search Advise

Hey all,

I've been reading these forums for some time now and I guess its about time that I started asking questions.

I've been married to a Thai for about 10 years and we've traveled to Thailand many times. We are planning on eventually retiring in Thailand, but we would also like to work there for a while. So my question is this, should I continue to look for a job while living here (which isnt going very well) or should I just pull the trigger and move to Thailand and look for work? If I'm not mistaken, the Thai Visa /Work permit issue shouldnt be too much of a problem because I am married to a Thai National.

Any suggestions or advice?

-Drew

oh, if you are wondering about my professional background, I have degrees in Statistics, I'm a former dot.com'er (Amazon.com) and am now working in the Clinical Trials area.

- Ask yourself. really, why you want to make the move (all the motivations)

- Evaluate your financial needs/commitment

- Can you live with 60KTHB per month ?

- Does your wife work ?

- How much of your lifestyle are you ready to give up ... to get your daily moo ping ?

- Do you have kids (Education = $$$) ?

- Do you need to work or just keep yourself busy ? (maybe an happy dotcomer)

- What was your longest stay in Thailand ?

- Where would you want to stay ? Bangkok/Upcountry

- Take a paper and draw two columms +/-, for your two choices

- count the +/-

And then buy your ticket !

oh, if you are wondering about my professional background, I have degrees in Statistics, I'm a former dot.com'er (Amazon.com) and am now working in the Clinical Trials area.

We are not wondering because it does not matter that much.

Since we understand you are close to retirement, chances for you to find a job are quite slim,...

So follow Singa-Traz advice,...

Bluecat,

Perhaps my post is just a bit misleading. When I speak of retiring, I'm refering to a point in life where I dont "NEED' to work anymore. I'm actually in my early 30s. So "close to retirement" for me is probably not exactly what you were thinking. I've actually had a few hits on my jobs search in BKK, but so far nothing has panned out. I'm wondering if its the work permit issue. From what I've read on the website, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), that my marriage to a Thai, and money in the bank should get me a visa and a work permit without too much trouble. I'm wondering if the job search would be easier if I already had those things in place.

Singa-traz,

Great questions. Too be honest, I've been a gypsy for a lot of my life. I've lived across the US and in Europe and I guess I'm just not that picky about what country I live in. I do love thailand though. I guess one of our major motivations for moving is so that my wife can be closer to her family. Finances, yes these are always the hard part. Actually living on 60K TB a year is not hard (when you already have housing in place). Yes, the wife works, she's a computer scientist. Technically speaking, I dont think I would have to work.. but, god I hate to say it, I like to work.

No kids, so no worries there... just have to worry about us. And I wish you hadnt mentioned moo ping. I've been jonzing for that for a while. :o

I guess to sum in up, we've already made our decision about doing this, I was just hoping for some feedback on HOW to do it.

Thanks for the feedback though!! I gather from the response that a lot of people vaction in Thailand get the idea after one trip that they want to live there. That would be a tough way to go. Even with resources, and a Thai family, its still seems to me like a big step to take. But what the heck, life is a contact sport...

Hey all,

I've been reading these forums for some time now and I guess its about time that I started asking questions.

I've been married to a Thai for about 10 years and we've traveled to Thailand many times. We are planning on eventually retiring in Thailand, but we would also like to work there for a while. So my question is this, should I continue to look for a job while living here (which isnt going very well) or should I just pull the trigger and move to Thailand and look for work? If I'm not mistaken, the Thai Visa /Work permit issue shouldnt be too much of a problem because I am married to a Thai National.

Any suggestions or advice?

-Drew

You'll need to enter Thailand on a Non-Immigrant O class multiple entry visa. You apply for that in your home country based on marriage. You are able to work on that class of visa. You will still need to get a work permit, and an employer will have to assist you in getting one. Being married to a Thai doesn't bring anything like an automatic work permit entitlement. Why not consider setting up your own concern in Thailand.

Setting up my own little business in Thailand is certainly an option. I'm just not sure what sort of business to set up. While I have a huge e-commerce skill set and the obligatory IT skills (networking, linux, html, sql and perl) I would be a little hesitant to invest a large sum of money into the local e-commerce scene without a much better feel for the business climate. I suppose to being a private consultant would still require a work permit.

So, what exactly is the deal with work permits? Does residency confer the right to work or is a work permit still required? Would it be a lot easier to find something if we just pulled the trigger and moved there.. or would it be better to keep searching.

As you have already taken your decision (and really thought about it ...)

- Get a Non-Immigrant O class multiple entry visa, based on marriage (as suggested

- Move to Thailand

- Get your wife a job (would be easier than for you)

- Start some networking

- and you will find something to keep you busy :-)

Economy is doing OK, IT spending is increasing.

The government is pushing the ASP scene (Application Service Provider) ... and broadband is finally starting to happen here.

If money is no longer an issue for you ... move here first, it will be much easier.

Worse case, look for job in Singapore ... two hours flight from BKK, and cheap airline are setting up their operation here.

Your wife as a Thai citizen is allowed to own real estate in Thailand. I would recommend you guys have prenutial agreemant that split your assets and having no common asset. So money on your wife asset can be used to buy house.

Unlike any country in the world including the United States, a Thailand permanent residence does not give you a legal right to work. As a PR of Thailand you find it easier to get a work permit. But you still need work permit.

As a spouse of Thai citizen, you're entitled to apply for PR after living 3 years in the country. The govt gives 100 permanent residency each year to the people of the United States and other US terrritories. So basically, you're flight for 100 slots with your fellow Americans and people under US sovoreinty like Guam or US virgin Islands.

Unlike any country in the world including the United States, a Thailand permanent residence does not give you a legal right to work. As a PR of Thailand you find it easier to get a work permit. But you still need work permit.

As a spouse of Thai citizen, you're entitled to apply for PR after living 3 years in the country. The govt gives 100 permanent residency each year to the people of the United States and other US terrritories. So basically, you're flight for 100 slots with your fellow Americans and people under US sovoreinty like Guam or US virgin Islands.

One point here. That 3 years MUST be on an extended O visa for 3 consecutive years to be eligible to apply for PR. And it is NOT confined solely to Americans.