International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Economist is nothing but an opinion rag with anonymous writers, by their own definition.

The Economist is a news magazine that is frequently quoted by other news organizations. It is arguably the most widely read and respected weekly news magazine in the English language. I would never hesitate to reference the Economist as the source of my information, I would never reference you. Where do you come up with your drivel?

• Like 2

About The Economist

http://www.economist.com/help/about-us

Just because they agree with your ideology does not make them right, or even smart, just opinionated.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"insight (news) and opinion" I don't completely share their perspective on the world so I don't always agree with their opinions, but I respect these opinions as being based on a reasonable analysis of facts. I can't say the same for the nonsense you post.

But this is getting off topic. I will continue to insist the PTP government was elected in an election that was monitored and deemed fair, and PTP tried to have new elections. This makes PTP more democratic than Suthep, the Democrats, and the military, who all oppose elections. You and others like you will continue to insist the election doesn't count because you didn't like the results or the government's policies, and because Yingluck re-assigned a minister appointed by her predecessor, which is somehow an abuse of power.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

The Economist is nothing but an opinion rag with anonymous writers, by their own definition.

The Economist is a news magazine that is frequently quoted by other news organizations. It is arguably the most widely read and respected weekly news magazine in the English language. I would never hesitate to reference the Economist as the source of my information, I would never reference you. Where do you come up with your drivel?

Then when they call themselves an opinion rag and only publish opinions with anonymous writers, you are referencing anonymous. Now that is funny.

• Like 1

An opinion is an opinion and biased at that. The world could use fact based reporting and less biased opinions. Let people come up with their own opinion based on facts, not propaganda.

They print news and opinion, accept it. I don't know of any newspaper or magazine that doesn't do the same. If opinions really upset you then just read the news part.

I'd ask where your facts come from but it doesn't matter, you twist them beyond recognition; declaring that constitutional monarchies are not democracies and using the oath of allegiance to country and constitution that officers in the US military take as evidence that the US military can commit a coup.

Edited by heybruce

A number of academics at our university are posting this frequent Thai-type of response to the outside world.

Amongst several messages, one of which is included in the message below, is the same as I'm hearing from my Thai colleagues and friends, that is, "the outside world just cannot understand the depth of the Thai mind and culture to be able to understand our situation; therefore they have no right to comment on it."

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400839294.644500.jpg

I've found that this comment used when the persons English isnt comprehensive enough to hold their own in a debate.no slight really my thai being

totally poor but Academic's supposedly being the 'intellectuals of any given culture should stick to their 'trade' and thus through their 'trade' should

know better than to publish/post absolute unfounded crap like this.

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

The Economist is now a noted international purveyor of Lese-Majeste crimes which you may be aware that transgressors in Thailand will be tried for by a military court. I do hope none of you falangs in country are formulating your off message false opinions based on such a poisonous tributary of un-Thainess or even worse reading it.

Just saying....

• Like 1

A number of academics at our university are posting this frequent Thai-type of response to the outside world.

Amongst several messages, one of which is included in the message below, is the same as I'm hearing from my Thai colleagues and friends, that is, "the outside world just cannot understand the depth of the Thai mind and culture to be able to understand our situation; therefore they have no right to comment on it."

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400839294.644500.jpg

I've found that this comment used when the persons English isnt comprehensive enough to hold their own in a debate.no slight really my thai being

totally poor but Academic's supposedly being the 'intellectuals of any given culture should stick to their 'trade' and thus through their 'trade' should

know better than to publish/post absolute unfounded crap like this.

Given the kuhn specifically and pointedly speaks to the United States, perhaps he himself might do well to consider the fact Washington DC and Bangkok were founded at the same time in history, and then to ponder (if that's the right word) the vast, divergent, profound differences between the two countries since, presently, and going forward into the future.

There is a link between Thaksin and the Economist.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/19/headlines/headlines_30088758.php

The reason rags such as the economist write arse-licking articles praising corrupt megalomaniancs is because they are paid to do so. Quite simple, don't overthink it.

• Like 1

Thai authority to build state-owned Internet gateway for more efficeint censorship

Wed, 28/05/2014 - 09:51 | by prachatai

The ICT Ministry (MICT) has blocked 219 websites which is deemed threat to “national security” according to the order of the military junta and it will ask Facebook, Youtube, and Line, a chat application, to ban some use accounts which disseminat “illegal” content., Surachai Srisakam, permanent secretary of the MICT, told media on Tuesday.

The MICT is drafting the plan to build the national Internet gateway so that the censoring measures applied by the state will be more efficient. The plan is to have the CAT and TOT, state-owned telecommunication companies, responsible for the gateway. The plan will be completed within one to two months, he added.

Moreover, he said the ministry has applied a more intense measure to “regulate” the Internet and social network. Two working groups have been set up to do this task.

The first group is assigned to monitor and analyse information on the internet, especially the social media. If the first group detects violations of the military junta’s order, it will block the dissemination of that information. The police’s intelligence division, the Technology Crime Suppression Division, and the Immigration Police are responsible for the task.

The second working group oversees the investigation and crime suppression. It has the authority to investigate and arrest people who disseminate “illegal information.” Representatives from the Army work alongside with the police from the techno crime division.

Strange this kind of news doesnt get its onw thread no ??

This has been going on since Thaksin's government - was increased (dramatically) under the 2006 coup and Dems, then pretty much stayed as was until now (as far as I can tell) - MICT has been blocking sites for over a decade now, so not really news. No one cares really, because it doesn't take much know-how or savy to walk around the blocks - that's what the internet was designed for - but no more on that as against the rules to discuss details.

//Edit: Missed '6' off the end of 2006 - doh!

Edited by wolf5370

"Corruption flourished under a succession of military-favoured prime ministers and was bad, too, under the opposition Democrats in the late 1990s."

In other words, endemic corruption did not originate with Thaksin.

Of course it didnt but you are wasting your breath trying to explain that to the Jonny comes lately types on here whos knowledge of Thai politics was picked up on a Pattaya bar stool.

The last time the Democrats were in power with a democratic vote it was corruption that brought them down, and guess what Democrat politican it was? None other than Khun Suthep Thaugsuban giving land to his wealthy buddies that was meant for the poor. In the following 20 years corruption scandals have never been far from his side, whether its government assistance to a media compnay he has invested in or manipulating the price of palm oil in a government post to make himself a multi millionaire.

So pardon us who find the idea this whole debacle was about corruption ridiculous. It was about changing the beneficiary of the corruption.

"It was about changing the beneficiary of the corruption."

That, and other issues which some think will are bringing changes to the socio-political fabric of the country, changes which they want to stop.

Add to that economic change. Before 2001 90% of government investment was in Bangkok, the south was doing well from tourism, and the north and northeast had third world economies, making them a convenient source of cheap, complacent labor for Bangkok and the south.

Since 2001 investment in Bangkok has slowly decreased, it was down to 72% of government investment in 2012 (my source is the World Bank, but I'm leery of posting a link), which resulted in a significant increase in government investment outside of Bangkok. Better roads, schools, clinics, etc., resulted in the peasants getting uppity; workers demanding living wages, hookers getting more expensive, stuff like that. A lot of people don't like this kind of change.

I guess there may be some skewing here due to the BKK mega projects that were underway during the 2000-2012 era - BTS, Express Ways, Swampy - take these costs out, and how does the residue compare to the BKK vs outside BKK change over that time?

• Like 1

Thai authority to build state-owned Internet gateway for more efficeint censorship

Wed, 28/05/2014 - 09:51 | by prachatai

The ICT Ministry (MICT) has blocked 219 websites which is deemed threat to “national security” according to the order of the military junta and it will ask Facebook, Youtube, and Line, a chat application, to ban some use accounts which disseminat “illegal” content., Surachai Srisakam, permanent secretary of the MICT, told media on Tuesday.

The MICT is drafting the plan to build the national Internet gateway so that the censoring measures applied by the state will be more efficient. The plan is to have the CAT and TOT, state-owned telecommunication companies, responsible for the gateway. The plan will be completed within one to two months, he added.

Moreover, he said the ministry has applied a more intense measure to “regulate” the Internet and social network. Two working groups have been set up to do this task.

The first group is assigned to monitor and analyse information on the internet, especially the social media. If the first group detects violations of the military junta’s order, it will block the dissemination of that information. The police’s intelligence division, the Technology Crime Suppression Division, and the Immigration Police are responsible for the task.

The second working group oversees the investigation and crime suppression. It has the authority to investigate and arrest people who disseminate “illegal information.” Representatives from the Army work alongside with the police from the techno crime division.

Strange this kind of news doesnt get its onw thread no ??

Is 'regulating' the internet the 21st century equivalent of 'burning books'?

No its more like having a locked section of the library, in which illicit books are kept (many libraries have such an area in main cities by the way - books that are too valuable, but also books that are outlawed - and pretty much all countries have outlawed books of one sort or another). Just saying.

Arisman, storming the ASEAN venue in 2009, talking about burning things in 2010, fleeing to Cambodia, saying he wouldn't feel safe with the previous government, set conditions to come back.

It would seem both Ms. Thida and Dr. weng are also still detained with tomorrow their seventh day.

Anyway the international community is very concerned some have it. Personally I don't mind doing without shoutcasts from UDD leaders.

Yes the international community are very concerned. The Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association have issued statements calling for the release of journalists detained by the army and to practice freedom of the press

That should tell even you something.

That they don't practise what they preach?

• Like 2

Of course it didnt but you are wasting your breath trying to explain that to the Jonny comes lately types on here whos knowledge of Thai politics was picked up on a Pattaya bar stool.

The last time the Democrats were in power with a democratic vote it was corruption that brought them down, and guess what Democrat politican it was? None other than Khun Suthep Thaugsuban giving land to his wealthy buddies that was meant for the poor. In the following 20 years corruption scandals have never been far from his side, whether its government assistance to a media compnay he has invested in or manipulating the price of palm oil in a government post to make himself a multi millionaire.

So pardon us who find the idea this whole debacle was about corruption ridiculous. It was about changing the beneficiary of the corruption.

"It was about changing the beneficiary of the corruption."

That, and other issues which some think will are bringing changes to the socio-political fabric of the country, changes which they want to stop.

Add to that economic change. Before 2001 90% of government investment was in Bangkok, the south was doing well from tourism, and the north and northeast had third world economies, making them a convenient source of cheap, complacent labor for Bangkok and the south.

Since 2001 investment in Bangkok has slowly decreased, it was down to 72% of government investment in 2012 (my source is the World Bank, but I'm leery of posting a link), which resulted in a significant increase in government investment outside of Bangkok. Better roads, schools, clinics, etc., resulted in the peasants getting uppity; workers demanding living wages, hookers getting more expensive, stuff like that. A lot of people don't like this kind of change.

I guess there may be some skewing here due to the BKK mega projects that were underway during the 2000-2012 era - BTS, Express Ways, Swampy - take these costs out, and how does the residue compare to the BKK vs outside BKK change over that time?

I'm puzzled, the numbers are top level comparisons of infrastructure investment in Bangkok to infrastructure investment outside of Bangkok. Why would I want to factor out significant infrastructure investments before making the comparison?

There is a link between Thaksin and the Economist.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/19/headlines/headlines_30088758.php

The reason rags such as the economist write arse-licking articles praising corrupt megalomaniancs is because they are paid to do so. Quite simple, don't overthink it.

Someone who was a consultant on a Thaksin sponsored foundation at one time worked for the Economist, among other publications, so the Economist can't be trusted--is that it?

Just out of curiosity, what are your squeaky clean news sources?

Gen P live on TV has just said a new government by 1st October 2014 but no mention of elections?

Initially appointed PM and interim government much as Suthep wanted but then full elections within 1 year after reforms are in place,not quite what Suthep wanted as elections were not an option.

Bangkok Post is reporting a different version of what General Prayuth stated in his address.

And what do they say? I watched it live and saw and read basically what I posted.

Wow, nice little tantrum.

If you are such a stickler for the Democracy-Coup-Better Democracy narrative then go read on the 1960s coup in Turkey.

Now back to the topic...

Your introducing the 1974 Carnation Revolution in Portugal was a bust from the beginning so now you've been honed in on yet another coup d'état, this time some vague event that supposedly occurred in 1960s Turkey.

No offense intended to the countries, but all of this comes down to a turkey making posts on a wild goose run that has come to its end on a rather short lived trail. I hope turkeys can swim.

Your use of the word tantrum is incongruous with my plain and factual presentation in the post above. And if you think or believe someone you can access is a historian you'd need to think again.

Thank you for handing your sword over to me and, yes, now back to the topic you rather ungraciously disrupted.

Why don't you wait and see what the coup does to Democracy here in Thailand? Your arguments are based in demagogery (and strenous straw-clutching), nothing good will come out of it because you say so, not very convincing.

Neither are the insults or the unbecoming self congratulation.

No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way(s).

There is a first time for everything is there not.

I see in the BP sutep and the yellows celebrating at a lavish French restaurant.

Meanwhile the poor who supported him and slept on the streets and handed over their hard earned are asking what about us and where's the money gone?

Sorry guys you were a means to an end and now you got the coup you wanted unfortunately you are just not one of the elite!

• Like 1

"...It is arguably the most widely read and respected weekly news magazine in the English language."

-- heybruce

The economist is rated as the 94th most popular news magazine by paid circulation out of 100 in the US. Circulation is even lower in other English speaking countries. It's 3 closest rivals are House Beautiful, Conde Nast Traveler, and Architectural Digest. Speaks volumes about your ability to argue..

• Like 2

Dear John Kerry,
$10 million aid-cut means very little to Thailand. The Thaksin regime has abused more than $8,000 million out of the national budget. If the US is so happy and proud to support Thaksin corrupted regime, so be it. Someday the US will wake up and realize the difference between the authoritarian Thaksin regime under the disguise of their brand of democracy, and the full democracy as described by Alexis de Tocqueville 180 years ago. We in Thailand are now fiercely fighting for full democracy and will not settle for less.

Dear BBC and CNN,
Crisis in Thailand is certainly beyond your grasp. Time and more education will improve your understanding of Thailand.
Somkiat Onwimon
Bangkok
23 May 2014

rubl you consistently and persistently ask indiscrete questions and require politically sensitive answers during a highly volatile time.

Someone has to point this out to you so you can know what so many others over on this side well know.

So I speak to you as if I were someone's Dutch uncle to advise you, to request of you, to use your better judgement, to think twice before demanding of myself, as you have done, or of others, as you also do do, that they name names.

The constitution is vacated by the ruling military council. There are no standing laws in Thailand. The few and only laws that exist are ad hoc laws spun out arbitrarily and summarily by the ruling military council of absolute rulers. You know this. Now kindly connect the dots, thx.

Cheers. wai.gif

The Lese Majeste laws are in effect.

The others are on hold until reform and in turn democracy can be restored.

The PTP have been very naughty…It is time for their parents to give them a good spanking and change the rules to ensure they don't disrespect democracy again.

The PTP doesn't respect democracy? What about Suthep's thugs who disrupted an election, the anti-Democrats who didn't want elections, and the military that staged a coup? To use rabas' words--logic weeps!

I'm sure the knee-jerk response is to claim the elections were corrupt, so I'll jump one step ahead of you--show evidence that the 2011 election, which was monitored and declared legitimate, was not legitimate.

That is why reform is needed. Thank you for highlighting that.

Be patient.

I see in the BP sutep and the yellows celebrating at a lavish French restaurant.

Meanwhile the poor who supported him and slept on the streets and handed over their hard earned are asking what about us and where's the money gone?

Sorry guys you were a means to an end and now you got the coup you wanted unfortunately you are just not one of the elite!

What a pathetic little man you are. Politicising an entirely private event where the man celebrated his 48th birthday and his 15th wedding anniversary. Are you that desperate? Seriously, you need to get a life.

There is a time and place for everything!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just read a blunt Financial Times leader of yesterday which spells it out. (You know, the FT - that wild eyed, ignorant, irresponsible newspaper prone to promoting chaos and criminality. Who anywhere in the world would take any notice its leaders?)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/804d7ebc-e59f-11e3-a7f5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz330vg34dh

Nothing personal, but I really dislike to get a pointer to an article and then need to register first before I can even see some of it.

Agreed.It would be good practice when showing a link to indicate by means of a £ sign that one needs to subscribe or register in order to read the full article.In the case of the FT it's straightforward to register and this allows access to a limited number of articles per month.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app