International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

I dunno where you are getting the idea that the Baht will head to 40 ( i'd be happy as I get paid in $) through the week it peaked around 32.8 according to xe.com on my iphone and is now back down to 32.4.. It has remained quite steady for the past couple of months, the coup hasn't effected the exchange rate by much, if anything at all.

The key is in the trading patterns, the BOT has said that they will not allow the Baht to fall. I hope Soros is not listening.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite a bit in international press over the last few days about things that are not allowed to be mentioned, digging deeper into the reasons and back room power play. Quite regular papers too, UK Financial times, the independent, US Washington post. seems to be a real interest in discussing that which cannot be in LOS. A lot of interest from Amnesty International on infringements of basic human rights.

Id say nothing about the international community's concern has changed, if anything the reporters are digging deeper than a week ago and bringing items to the foreground that might have otherwise been ignored or considered uninteresting.

This time the takeover of the country to quash democracy is of such a serious and unprecedentedly profound nature the foreign MSM and NGOs are going where they hadn't ever gone before.

The global reaction is already sparing no inward looking or parochial interests or institutions.

This one is going to cost, and its wages have only begun to be exacted globally.

The coup was not an act against Democracy, it was against Thaksin's government (again) abusing and subverting Democracy and to stop the Red Shirts from continuing their acts of terrorism and threats of civil war.

Prayuth already set as an objective to have elections after reforms to strenghten Democracy are in place, so far the most significant reform has been dismantling the Shinawatra's clan control on the RTP hierarchy, you can't have a funtioning Democracy when the law enforcement works for one political party instead of for the whole society.

By the way, it seems you overlooked this post.

A G. Publicus is well aware of this, it's against his agenda to want to see it. The general briefing envoy's on another thread, and the TV lengthy announcement spelled out clearly what careful path they are taking to avoid anymore political Stunts-again by any elected parties.

There will always be outcry when a country is taken over by military, but we have to look if it seems permanent --or temporary. Amnesty Int., are always on the prowl to condemn and rightly so, but they also will be aware of the situation the nation was in prior to the take over.

So Pub and the rest put up with it the same we had to do with the Shins brigade for 3 years.

• Like 2

Normally YES. With all this dung to hit the fan I'm afraid in the circumstances this time there is NO second chance PTP pushed the boat over the falls.

See sense please your asking for elections that are impossible to carry out in the climate created by diabolical government .

Will not have a decent admittance reply unless you have seen the light. then admit it all has to be cleaned up before any elections are to be held.

If this is not common sense then there is not much more to discuss only Suthep and Dems.

If your main point is to ignore the mega dung governing and hold elections whatever, then your motive on TVF must be to try to disrupt rather than adjust.

Whereas your references to a "diabolical government" and "mega dung governing" are not disruptive in the least and are purely in the interests of reconciliation. coffee1.gif

Sad to say but you are rite the truth must be out for reconciliation. Ask any Rice farmer that committed suicide over the rice scam if he believes in covering up all the dirt will make it all better.

Get back to me on that will you.

In the mean time crusade on. You are accomplishing miracle's.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for me to get back to you on a non existent link between rice farmer suicides and ginjags apparent disregard for reconciliation. To put it bluntly - I will not be getting back to you on that one.

I add that disclaimer just so as the forum doesn't have to read post after post from you claiming you're still waiting for an answer, a familiar, though tedious, ploy by some posters on this forum.

Normally YES. With all this dung to hit the fan I'm afraid in the circumstances this time there is NO second chance PTP pushed the boat over the falls.

See sense please your asking for elections that are impossible to carry out in the climate created by diabolical government .

Will not have a decent admittance reply unless you have seen the light. then admit it all has to be cleaned up before any elections are to be held.

If this is not common sense then there is not much more to discuss only Suthep and Dems.

If your main point is to ignore the mega dung governing and hold elections whatever, then your motive on TVF must be to try to disrupt rather than adjust.

Whereas your references to a "diabolical government" and "mega dung governing" are not disruptive in the least and are purely in the interests of reconciliation. coffee1.gif

Sad to say but you are rite the truth must be out for reconciliation. Ask any Rice farmer that committed suicide over the rice scam if he believes in covering up all the dirt will make it all better.

Get back to me on that will you.

In the mean time crusade on. You are accomplishing miracle's.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for me to get back to you on a non existent link between rice farmer suicides and ginjags apparent disregard for reconciliation. To put it bluntly - I will not be getting back to you on that one.

I add that disclaimer just so as the forum doesn't have to read post after post from you claiming you're still waiting for an answer, a familiar, though tedious, ploy by some posters on this forum.

Fab 4 -with you bringing me back into the picture, posting about my quote " apparent disregard for reconciliation"

Will you get it into your head that reconciliation is fine, if 2 parties are at a situ where common ground can be found.

What you do not want to hear or will never admit to--that your one party does not merit to be brought together to the table, as it's intentions were only to seek power for the Shins, and their record speaks volumes.

You do never join together Gannets ---into talks with anyone. They do not deserve a second chance.

You have a record (habit) of not answering posts that dig deep into PTP wrongs. You are similar to Yingluck avoid awkward questions that exposes PTP.

Meanwhile nearer to home, the other paper has two conflicting articles about how the UDD and it's members are reacting to the coup.

It's front page story (naturally) is headlined "Junta says reds are joining peace train" - however no UDD leaders are quoted confirming what the Junta has said they are supposed to be doing. Whereas inside there is an "investigative report" headlined "Out of step with Junta" which tells a more realistic story with quotes from actual UDD members. It makes interesting reading when juxtaposed.

Quite a bit in international press over the last few days about things that are not allowed to be mentioned, digging deeper into the reasons and back room power play. Quite regular papers too, UK Financial times, the independent, US Washington post. seems to be a real interest in discussing that which cannot be in LOS. A lot of interest from Amnesty International on infringements of basic human rights.

Id say nothing about the international community's concern has changed, if anything the reporters are digging deeper than a week ago and bringing items to the foreground that might have otherwise been ignored or considered uninteresting.

This time the takeover of the country to quash democracy is of such a serious and unprecedentedly profound nature the foreign MSM and NGOs are going where they hadn't ever gone before.

The global reaction is already sparing no inward looking or parochial interests or institutions.

This one is going to cost, and its wages have only begun to be exacted globally.

The coup was not an act against Democracy, it was against Thaksin's government (again) abusing and subverting Democracy and to stop the Red Shirts from continuing their acts of terrorism and threats of civil war.

Prayuth already set as an objective to have elections after reforms to strenghten Democracy are in place, so far the most significant reform has been dismantling the Shinawatra's clan control on the RTP hierarchy, you can't have a funtioning Democracy when the law enforcement works for one political party instead of for the whole society.

The democratically elected government was swept out by two coups, one judicial and one military.

The current government is a military one that rules by martial law.

Democracy is gone.

No democracy on the horizon.

The chief of staff of the U.S. Army called Gen Prayuth to urge immediate restoration of democracy and got a run around.

Don't try to give me promises or assurances when the government was swept out by a military mutiny coup d'état because I won't believe you. No one on this side believes you. No one has any reason to believe you.

No reason whatsoever.

• Like 2

The democratically elected government was swept out by two coups, one judicial and one military.

Democracy is gone.

The chief of staff of the U.S. Army called Gen Prayuth to urge immediate restoration of democracy and got a run around.

Don't try to give me promises or assurances when the government was swept out by a military mutiny coup d'état because I won't believe you. No one on this side believes you. No one has any reason to believe you.

No reason whatsoever.

Same old rubbish Publicus.

Democratically elected (and that's disputed) never mind though--Because when the PTP attained that, they turned their back on democracy to rule the Shin style and again had to be thrown out--TRUTH .

The government were not acting as a normal government acts in democracies. Believe all you want ,

To add the Pro government posters have near all gone now -at least they are honest and give up the propaganda for PTP

Blame Suthep before now blame the army, look at yourselves and see what harm you did.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

Democracy is gone.

No reason whatsoever.

Your avoidance of the stated reasons for the coup duly noted.

It's not a matter of believing in me or not, it's a matter of assessing the facts as they develop. Comments like this "No one on this side believes you" tells me that you have no interests (or capacity) to assess anything that goes against your prejudices, you think something, therefore it is the truth.

You like to talk tuff with martial law and a column of tanks behind you.

This won't last forever.

Then what will you do.

We'll find out in due course and time.

• Like 1

Democracy is gone.

No reason whatsoever.

It's not a matter of believing in me or not, it's a matter of assessing the facts as they develop. Comments like this "No one on this side believes you" tells me that you have no interests (or capacity) to assess anything that goes against your prejudices, you think something, therefore it is the truth.

This won't last forever.

Then what will you do.

In the aftermath the easing of curfews are underway as they were at first not convinced the hostilities were fizzling out.

I feel so much better now you have pointed out I have columns of tanks behind me.

Agree it won't last forever, once the scum have appeared in the courts. and normality returns to Thailand after your disaster government.

We will rejoice in the new transparency.

Time is our friend--your time expired PTP were out on the tip.

Meanwhile nearer to home, the other paper has two conflicting articles about how the UDD and it's members are reacting to the coup.

It's front page story (naturally) is headlined "Junta says reds are joining peace train" - however no UDD leaders are quoted confirming what the Junta has said they are supposed to be doing. Whereas inside there is an "investigative report" headlined "Out of step with Junta" which tells a more realistic story with quotes from actual UDD members. It makes interesting reading when juxtaposed.

UDD led by who---??? my god you have a nerve to even speak about the unspeakable.

This won't last forever.

Then what will you do.

Is that a threat, Publicus?

• Like 1

This won't last forever.

Then what will you do.

In your own words...

it's a matter of assessing the facts as they develop

wink.png

This won't last forever.

Then what will you do.

In your own words...

it's a matter of assessing the facts as they develop

wink.png

I'm quaking in my boots... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Democracy is gone.

No reason whatsoever.

That argument works both ways so is a pointless one. Why is your "truth" any more truthful then his "truth". He assesses the facts in a different way to you.

Yet your "truth" is right. Why, because the army says it is?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Democracy is gone.

No reason whatsoever.

That argument works both ways so is a pointless one. Why is your "truth" any more truthful then his "truth". He assesses the facts in a different way to you.

Yet your "truth" is right. Why, because the army says it is?

I would interject that that is Indeed true, but as you know his truth is the one and only true truth, so I seriously doubt he's capable of getting the vital point of your post.

Almost every one of these guys are that way.

No negotiations, no compromise, no possible middle ground agreements, not ever. And this side always has to look into the mirror, reflect, repent, which is to say to see it their way, entirely and completely.

And they arrive here each day in armored personnel carriers with .50 caliber machine guns on top besides.

As you and I know however time continues to be on the side of democracy despite the refraud reforms they've been banging on about since January 1st and even before..

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

Channel News Asia points to economic uncertainty and mixed sentiments.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/thai-coup-raises-fears/1141076.html

In the words of Ian Jury, Reasons to be cheerful, part 3, whistling.gif

"there is still nervousness about a regime that has put the air force chief in charge of the economy and appointed the navy commander to oversee tourism".
  • Like 2

So much machismo going on here, my dick is bigger than your dick blah blah blah, a simple question then, have any of the G8 countries changed their opinions and stance over the Coup? simple yes or no?

Despite the well written and presented arguments about the previous Government, it's not the subject headline, the subject is about the International Alarm, which a lot of people seem to have forgotten, it's not about the failings of the Government, it's not about the good job the Military seem to be doing so far, it's about what the International community's response to the coup.

Has their stance and posture changed, if it hasn't, there's no real argument is there?

This is a rather simplistic view, but its not as bad as dick measuring between forum members

So much machismo going on here, my dick is bigger than your dick blah blah blah, a simple question then, have any of the G8 countries changed their opinions and stance over the Coup? simple yes or no?

Despite the well written and presented arguments about the previous Government, it's not the subject headline, the subject is about the International Alarm, which a lot of people seem to have forgotten, it's not about the failings of the Government, it's not about the good job the Military seem to be doing so far, it's about what the International community's response to the coup.

Has their stance and posture changed, if it hasn't, there's no real argument is there?

This is a rather simplistic view, but its not as bad as dick measuring between forum members

Governments do NOT do this on a monthly basis, every day it will be monitored and assessed, you have seen and read a few headlines, but the diplomatic channels are forever working.

In your line of thinking a government makes a comment and it sticks ?? for how long until YOU hear the next one ---no no. assessed everyday.

You can pick out so many countries that either frown ---openly condemn---say please restore as quickly as possible--and so on.

If it is so badly run where have diplomatic ties been cut, and by which countries???

There is no complete disorder, as there was with the PTP. calm seems the order of the day normality is on the road back restrictions are being eased.

Just because the Military are involved does not mean that it's intentions are bad. Unless you go back down memory lane.

Sorry guys much of this is an alternative face save as was Suthep. Shame on the Shins for getting us into this.

• Like 1

The pro-military side in this debate could strengthen their arguments significantly by describing how efficient, well run, and effective the Thai military is, and by providing evidence that the generals have no tolerance for corruption or conflict of interests in their own organization.

They could try. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

The pro-military side in this debate could strengthen their arguments significantly by describing how efficient, well run, and effective the Thai military is, and by providing evidence that the generals have no tolerance for corruption or conflict of interests in their own organization.

They could try. cheesy.gif

Try?

Most efficient coups in the world, most coups in the world, inquire about our "coup rate".

Need a peaceful coup? Call for price. No tanks? Never mind, we can help.

World leaders in terms of citizen support, up to 75%, guaranteed better than any corrupt politicians.

Happy coups are our specialty, normalcy included in every package.

Call between now and Dec 14 and get free urban Army-citizen disco parties.

Is your democracy infected with corruption? We guarantee results and provide references.

Strong record on lowest international alarm rates.

If you need a tank coup, we can provide the ladies.

girltroops.jpeg

PS. You may terminate the coup any time you are ready for a clean election!

Edited by rabas