International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

They will all mouth similar platitudes - but as long as business interests are safe and there's not mass bloodshed it will be business as usual. The international community is much more worried about Ukraine and the international ramifications than meddlesome domestics of Thailand. Baht seems solid as a rock at the moment as far as Sterling is concerned.

" it will be business as usual "

I have no idea how you could possibly reach that conclusion without knowing exactly how the millions who voted for the previous government are going to react to all this?blink.png

It is not only the millions of destroyed votes, and can only speculate how I would feel if someone ripped up my own ballot, but also the tremendous disruption of busiesses, such as the auto, chemical, electronics and other large manufcaturers plus all their suppliers and others who work 3 shifts in this country and have invested billions of dollars into their infrastructure which are now telling their employees to not come to work due to the curfew. With this curfew, there will be some major problems in Thailand, and hope the military will decide to get rid of it quickly, otherwise the economy will be greatly affected with massive layoffs additionally.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27529563

BBC hinting at an "external factor". The more canny here will know what it is, though more internal really id say.

After 6 months of doing nothing something changed, hold tight this is going to be some ride.

Bull. Just more of the same shallow reporting of the BBCs Jonathan Head.

You obviously read the report by JONAH FISHER then.................

I read Jonah Fishers report as well and he seems similar to Jonathon Head in his way of reporting. No real improvement and mostly one sided.

However if you want to understand Thailand the BBC has produced Thailand military coup - in 60 seconds. A real in depth piece that is about par for the BBC reporting.

All you need to know in one minute.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27297478

Edited by billd766

The Shin's large minority vote translated to a large majority of parliamentary seats. Get it right. They didn't receive a majority of votes.

As I think you well know, Yingluck was PM in a coalition government in which the constituent parties did gain over 50% of the popular vote.

Regarding the international reaction, the BBC is reporting that the US will cut just over $3 million in aid per annum but not end the current joint military exercises - so it looks like just a mild slap on the wrist.

Edited by citizen33

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27529563

BBC hinting at an "external factor". The more canny here will know what it is, though more internal really id say.

After 6 months of doing nothing something changed, hold tight this is going to be some ride.

Bull. Just more of the same shallow reporting of the BBCs Jonathan Head.

You obviously read the report by JONAH FISHER then.................

I read Jonah Fishers report as well and he seems similar to Jonathon Head in his way of reporting. No real improvement and mostly one sided.

However if you want to understand Thailand the BBC has produced Thailand military coup - in 60 seconds. A real in depth piece that is about par for the BBC reporting.

All you need to know in one minute.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27297478

Comment deleted.

Edited by dabhand

Here comes another country disagreeing the coup. It's not just US, UN and UK.

Anyone with some common sense disagree with the coup, sure anyone involved in any economic interest.

I do believe most Tv Suthep and Army coup supporters are retired !

My Thai wife supports the military coup, in fact she goes further and wishes that Thailand could be totally usurped by another country, a country that would restore some decency, honesty and dignity to the nation

She currently sees only negative views from the whole of the international community whenever Thailand is referred. The media only seem interested in the bar scene in Phuket and Pattaya, with the result that all Thai women are viewed as prostitutes, and every man a 'katoey'

The desperation expressed by many, clearly alcoholic, posters because of the curfew, illustrates just another of the country's ills. It is hardly Prohibition, alcohol is still on sale 17 hours a day!

So my wife is one Pheu Thai voter who, while saddened that her government has been ousted, accepts that the military had no choice but to step in

Personally I would like to see the next government formed via Proportional Representation, despite the weaknesses of that system,so that all parties would have a say in the way the country was administered, and all voters could feel that their vote had had some impact.

Much of the bullying and alleged vote buying that occurs in the current 'first past the post' system would diminish given PR. There wouldn't be that same desperation to elect one all powerful party and condemn all others to fruitless opposition

• Like 2

The Coup is EXACTLY what Thailand needed to avoid a civil war and to finally calm down the situation . I hope the Army will stay for several years before the next elections . Long enough to forget about troublemaker Taksin and Co.

European and American / Australian governments ,who always and only think about their profit should keep out of internal affairs of Thailand . They should respect a situation that 75% of Thai people agree to .

Anyway , European Govenments who proved being unable to handle even their own problems , should better look at their own uncapability before they advise other countries what to do .

This is the big chance for Thailand to clean up that mess left by a political system that was based on corruption and selfishness , and start all over again !

This time do it better !

Most political leaders in the world seem to be TERMITES , they are blind , and never stop eating until the tree they are living on is dead !

And these people want to tell everybody else what they have to do ? What a JOKE !

Incapable idiots ! Just a few more years and the real big problems cause by the never-ending greed of the rich industrialized nations will appear !

Not a lot of people understand the fact that we have only one planet to live on ! This planet suffers from people as a dog suffers from flees !

Only greedy , they will NEVER have enough !

I hope that Thailand can find a way of it's own , and wont listen to advices from other countries !

Chook-dee Thailand ! Go the right way in Peace and Respect to Nature and to the King and please try to understand the teachings of Lord Buddha ! This is the way away from Greed and Destruction !

Edited by pumpuy

For me.....it's good here.....while a coup is not the ideal climax to achieve a resolution.....with opposing politcal teams both with what appears to be very limited intelligence....even those supposedly educated at Eton.....Thailand needed this to get it back on track......hopefully the military have the wherewithal to get things to a state whereby management can be handed back to civilians....

The west is loaded with over zealous journalists and editors, that want nothing more than to harp up a subject, such as this coup.....

It does seem that Prayuth is ignoring this reaction.....so far so good.

Banned overseas travel for all today......sorry YL.......have to go mail order for Hermes for a while!

"Banned overseas travel for all"????

Not quite all.

See Daily Telegraph (May 23) for some v interesting travel news about important Thai people.

A number of academics at our university are posting this frequent Thai-type of response to the outside world.

Amongst several messages, one of which is included in the message below, is the same as I'm hearing from my Thai colleagues and friends, that is, "the outside world just cannot understand the depth of the Thai mind and culture to be able to understand our situation; therefore they have no right to comment on it."

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400839294.644500.jpg

Maybe we will never understand “ the depth of the Thai mind and culture “ when they threw so much at the Shins and yet seem to totally ignore the corruption, scandal, political and criminal offences of Suthep? And at the end of the day, whether you liked the Shins or not they won a landslide victory, which has now simply been brushed aside

The Shin's large minority vote translated to a large majority of parliamentary seats. Get it right. They didn't receive a majority of votes.

Whether you like the Shins or not, they broke the law, cheated, lied and refused transparency, accountability and tried to suppress free speech and criticism.

They were removed legally. Or do you think court judgement can be simply brushed aside if someone doesn't like it.

There you go again. You lot are amazing. Total silence when it comes to the deserved condemnation of Suthep regarding his corruption, scandal, political and criminal offencesfacepalm.gif

For me.....it's good here.....while a coup is not the ideal climax to achieve a resolution.....with opposing politcal teams both with what appears to be very limited intelligence....even those supposedly educated at Eton.....Thailand needed this to get it back on track......hopefully the military have the wherewithal to get things to a state whereby management can be handed back to civilians....

The west is loaded with over zealous journalists and editors, that want nothing more than to harp up a subject, such as this coup.....

It does seem that Prayuth is ignoring this reaction.....so far so good.

Banned overseas travel for all today......sorry YL.......have to go mail order for Hermes for a while!

"Banned overseas travel for all"????

Not quite all.

See Daily Telegraph (May 23) for some v interesting travel news about important Thai people.

Thanks for the heads up - wonder why he grew a pair of wings? Something at home to hide?

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the Western media all hear the word 'coup' and throw their hands up and gasp in horror, HP being just another bad example of this.

Unfortunately, you really have to have lived here some time to understand the blatant corruption and inept mis-management here - Westerners really SHOULD NOT judge by their standards.

In fact, at a stroke, the country is pretty well pacified, life goes on as normal and the inept and corrupt politicians have been grabbed by the military and put in safe houses after which, they will hopefully be made to answer for their actions.

Butt out all you hand-wringing Yanks UK, Frogs and appeasing pinko Amnesty International, etc - all the General wanted to do was restore peace and order and he's been magnificent at it so far.

Only time will tell what happens next - if it's bad, THEN you can complain ..

Unfortunately the Western media all hear the word 'coup' and throw their hands up and gasp in horror, HP being just another bad example of this.
Unfortunately, you really have to have lived here some time to understand the blatant corruption and inept mis-management here - Westerners really SHOULD NOT judge by their standards.
In fact, at a stroke, the country is pretty well pacified, life goes on as normal and the inept and corrupt politicians have been grabbed by the military and put in safe houses after which, they will hopefully be made to answer for their actions.
Butt out all you hand-wringing Yanks UK, Frogs and appeasing pinko Amnesty International, etc - all the General wanted to do was restore peace and order and he's been magnificent at it so far.
Only time will tell what happens next - if it's bad, THEN you can complain ..

Maybe they gasp in horror because Human Rights violated? Curfew? No freedom of speech? Threats if speak against Junta? Arrests without any explanation given? No mention of when civilian administration will be restored?

Do you think is good to complain once people will be killed, silenced forever, or detained for years unjustly?

A question for you: do you live in Thailand?

Edited by newcomer71
  • Like 1

Its a shame these countries do not listen to their Embassies who could advise them that the Military is not as bad as people think. They are not going to war on their people

Of course the Thai Military are at war with the Thai people. If the people resist the Coups do you imagine that the Military will only shoot them with water pistols.

• Like 1

They will all mouth similar platitudes - but as long as business interests are safe and there's not mass bloodshed it will be business as usual. The international community is much more worried about Ukraine and the international ramifications than meddlesome domestics of Thailand. Baht seems solid as a rock at the moment as far as Sterling is concerned.

" it will be business as usual "

I have no idea how you could possibly reach that conclusion without knowing exactly how the millions who voted for the previous government are going to react to all this?blink.png

they DO NOT GIVE A DAMN. No money for votes no care. Only you are.

They are sick of all the corruption and hurt yingluck and her despotic nepotism created

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

I am disgusted to be British, countries should be supportive of any action to eradicate corruption in Thailand.

I can understand America withholding aid seeing that the main recipients are gusts of the military but I would have thought any company that has invested in Thailand would like to see corruption eradicated, ...unless they illegally purchased their concessions.

• Like 2

Its a shame these countries do not listen to their Embassies who could advise them that the Military is not as bad as people think. They are not going to war on their people

Of course the Thai Military are at war with the Thai people. If the people resist the Coups do you imagine that the Military will only shoot them with water pistols.

Next Songkran...

I am disgusted to be British, countries should be supportive of any action to eradicate corruption in Thailand.

I can understand America withholding aid seeing that the main recipients are gusts of the military but I would have thought any company that has invested in Thailand would like to see corruption eradicated, ...unless they illegally purchased their concessions.

I am amazed that people think the military actually wants "to eradicate corruption in Thailand". And some of these same people accuse others of ignorance!

• Like 1

And I am disgusted also, being British, that there are still British people out there, like yourself , with an IQ lower than a door mouse, supporting cowardly acts.

Firstly the RT Army were not only the first but also the foremost bunch of thieves set-up solely to protect certain self interests and in return given carte blanch for undertaking any illegal activity necessary to ensure a steady income. Way before Thaksin was born and 1000% more corrupt then he could hope to be . Name one military in the world that owns their own media and has serving generals on the board of so called private companies and are allowed to show off their corrupt earnings by public displays of arrogance with total impunity ? Let's not forget their refugee smuggling exercises. Oh yes I suppose you think that their complicity in cross border drug smuggling is also honorable and professional ?

If you really want to see corruption eradicated then it is they who should be "hung-out to dry", next the RTP and just about every department under them.

This coup is all about maintaining their status quo and their positions which are, and hopefully will be, eroded for good by the general populace not accepting these band of pirates any more.

As you say countries should be supportive of any action to eradicate corruption, but they can not be, nor should they be, supportive of an action that replaces a corrupt but legitimate government with an absolutely corrupt , gun toting, dictatorship which is exactly what this general is moving towards. How many political prisoners were there in 2006 compared to the current period ?

Actually there are a lot of countries where the military is allowed to get deeply involved in the economy, often on a monopolistic basis--Pakistan, Egypt, Iran, and Myanmar to name a few. Of course these countries aren't noted for clean, competent governance.

• Like 2

And I am disgusted also, being British, that there are still British people out there, like yourself , with an IQ lower than a door mouse, supporting cowardly acts.

Firstly the RT Army were not only the first but also the foremost bunch of thieves set-up solely to protect certain self interests and in return given carte blanch for undertaking any illegal activity necessary to ensure a steady income. Way before Thaksin was born and 1000% more corrupt then he could hope to be . Name one military in the world that owns their own media and has serving generals on the board of so called private companies and are allowed to show off their corrupt earnings by public displays of arrogance with total impunity ? Let's not forget their refugee smuggling exercises. Oh yes I suppose you think that their complicity in cross border drug smuggling is also honorable and professional ?

If you really want to see corruption eradicated then it is they who should be "hung-out to dry", next the RTP and just about every department under them.

This coup is all about maintaining their status quo and their positions which are, and hopefully will be, eroded for good by the general populace not accepting these band of pirates any more.

As you say countries should be supportive of any action to eradicate corruption, but they can not be, nor should they be, supportive of an action that replaces a corrupt but legitimate government with an absolutely corrupt , gun toting, dictatorship which is exactly what this general is moving towards. How many political prisoners were there in 2006 compared to the current period ?

Perhaps you should question your own IQ level, before denigrating another's. See if it is sufficiently robust to make sense of your peculiar grasp of Thailand's issues, in particular the reach of its corruption tentacles.

• Like 2

Generals do not know how to run a country, they all are stupid crooks. Tourism is going down, production is going down, exports are going down, Thailand will become a poor country on the level of Myanmar and Laos if military dictatorship continues.

• Like 2