International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why the international alert. The countries were invited to come in for an explanation and showed very little interest.

They remind me of Bush screaming for Democracy and thgen when the Palastian giot it he would not recognize it.

They all fear hearing the reason as they feel the same thing could happen to them.

• Like 1

In most sane democratic countries the army is a servant of the elected govt. They dont place a dictator into power against the will of the voting public. The army chief is hardly an impartial player, being on the board of banks etc. Anyone who believes he will appoint a neutral dictator is dreaming, and reform that will benefit all thais wont be a result of this. My guess is that elections will be a long way into the future , and perhaps will happen only after another civil war. Good luck with thai economy which relies heavily on tourists and industry giants like Toyota and Honda.

Quite. The good General might like to ponder how all of this is going to be paid for in the future?

<But Indonesia stressed that the bloc's charter "emphasizes adherence to democratic principles and constitutional government">

Did they say that with a straight face 55555555555555555.

Who cares what the "international community" thinks. They're just a stinking bunch of corrupt, hypocritical, special only in their own eyes crooks.

For an idea of what they are really like listen to Nigel Farage on the MEPs.

Its a shame these countries do not listen to their Embassies who could advise them that the Military is not as bad as people think. They are not going to war on their people

Of course the Thai Military are at war with the Thai people. If the people resist the Coups do you imagine that the Military will only shoot them with water pistols.
In the present and last coup, the army killed a great deal LESS people than those taksin was responsible for killing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you shouldn't be commenting on this thread.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the Western media all hear the word 'coup' and throw their hands up and gasp in horror, HP being just another bad example of this.

Unfortunately, you really have to have lived here some time to understand the blatant corruption and inept mis-management here - Westerners really SHOULD NOT judge by their standards.

In fact, at a stroke, the country is pretty well pacified, life goes on as normal and the inept and corrupt politicians have been grabbed by the military and put in safe houses after which, they will hopefully be made to answer for their actions.

Butt out all you hand-wringing Yanks UK, Frogs and appeasing pinko Amnesty International, etc - all the General wanted to do was restore peace and order and he's been magnificent at it so far.

Only time will tell what happens next - if it's bad, THEN you can complain ..

Maybe they gasp in horror because Human Rights violated? Curfew? No freedom of speech? Threats if speak against Junta? Arrests without any explanation given? No mention of when civilian administration will be restored?

Do you think is good to complain once people will be killed, silenced forever, or detained for years unjustly?

A question for you: do you live in Thailand?

I don't remember the western media getting involved when taksin was responsible for thousands of Thais being murdered in his so called war on drugs.

A number of academics at our university are posting this frequent Thai-type of response to the outside world.

Amongst several messages, one of which is included in the message below, is the same as I'm hearing from my Thai colleagues and friends, that is, "the outside world just cannot understand the depth of the Thai mind and culture to be able to understand our situation; therefore they have no right to comment on it."

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400839294.644500.jpg

These Thais are right.. Thailand is not a true democracy and therefor a coup is not the same as a coup in a true democracy. As long as politicians can abuse power and nepotism and corruption rules with no checks and balances coups are the answer. Voting is no answer as the ruling party wont change a thing, they will throw some scraps at the poor to make them vote for them and rob the country blind.

The moment strong checks and balances are in place I have no problem with a PTP government that plays fair and sticks to the rules.

I have problems with a PTP government that :

- leaves its own protesters rot in jail because they want to include Taksin in the amnesty

- Who budgets the rice scheme at 0 bt as it would bring in money while loosing 700 billion bt that is not in budget reason for it else they could not do other populist policies. (nothing more as vote buying)

- Removes civil servants once they tell the truth on the rice sheme

- Removes civil servants to make room for family members and trusted people from the Shins thus totally controlling the country

- Tries to get a 2 trillion baht loan without any checks and totally not transparent

- Lie on figures and report untruths all the time (Surapong Kirrirat and others)

- Let senators vote for multiple people and then in court lie about it

- Secretly ad new things to vote for the senators while other anti senators are gone already

- and on and on and on.

Play by the rules and you wont get into trouble.. this all started because of the amnesty of Taksin, they overplayed their hand and now act like its the fault of the opposition

Best post of the day!

• Like 2

So it seems that most of the people posting on this site love military dictatorship.

Unbelievable!

It seems that people come to Thailand and then lose all their values - if they had any to begin with.

Unbelievable indeed. But not a surprise.

• Like 1

Sky News just shown the 'McDonalds' demo in Bangkok. Their reporter was, as usual, bigging up the situation - probably to justify getting paid 'danger' money. He stated that there were 'huge' numbers of demonstrators voicing their disapproval of the coup.

Best I could see from the TV feed was about 50-100 demonstrators and maybe double that amount of press and camera crew and photographers, plus the usual bystanders pointing their iPhones and tablets at the commotion.

Those viewing from the Sky UK studio were passing comments about how their reporter was, in effect, putting his life on the line to bring out the real story of the opposition to the coup.

That is the International view, for good or bad.

Edited by dabhand

Unfortunately the Western media all hear the word 'coup' and throw their hands up and gasp in horror, HP being just another bad example of this.

Unfortunately, you really have to have lived here some time to understand the blatant corruption and inept mis-management here - Westerners really SHOULD NOT judge by their standards.

In fact, at a stroke, the country is pretty well pacified, life goes on as normal and the inept and corrupt politicians have been grabbed by the military and put in safe houses after which, they will hopefully be made to answer for their actions.

Butt out all you hand-wringing Yanks UK, Frogs and appeasing pinko Amnesty International, etc - all the General wanted to do was restore peace and order and he's been magnificent at it so far.

Maybe they gasp in horror because Human Rights violated? Curfew? No freedom of speech? Threats if speak against Junta? Arrests without any explanation given? No mention of when civilian administration will be restored?

Do you think is good to complain once people will be killed, silenced forever, or detained for years unjustly?

I don't remember the western media getting involved when taksin was responsible for thousands of Thais being murdered in his so called war on drugs.

So, if (and I emphasize IF), there was a mistake by foreign press then (but I remember foreign press denounced possible HR violations also that time), they should make the same mistake twice?

Great way to think...

We live in a very connected world. No man is an island. No country is a 'center' of independence.

I think the North Koreans would disagree with you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So it seems that most of the people posting on this site love military dictatorship.

Unbelievable!

It seems that people come to Thailand and then lose all their values - if they had any to begin with.

You are so right. blink.png

I hate the fact I can now move around now without dodging protesters and their weapons and words of hate. (And so disappointed my kids are now safe from MPGs and IEDs) NOT

I really hate the way Thais might now get a chance of a not-so-corrupt government. NOT

You are right, seems many do lose their values when staying in Thailand.wink.png

• Like 1

Its a shame these countries do not listen to their Embassies who could advise them that the Military is not as bad as people think. They are not going to war on their people

Wonder what would happen if there were really massive demonstrations against the junta?

They will all mouth similar platitudes - but as long as business interests are safe and there's not mass bloodshed it will be business as usual. The international community is much more worried about Ukraine and the international ramifications than meddlesome domestics of Thailand. Baht seems solid as a rock at the moment as far as Sterling is concerned.

" it will be business as usual "

I have no idea how you could possibly reach that conclusion without knowing exactly how the millions who voted for the previous government are going to react to all this?blink.png

It is not only the millions of destroyed votes, and can only speculate how I would feel if someone ripped up my own ballot, but also the tremendous disruption of busiesses, such as the auto, chemical, electronics and other large manufcaturers plus all their suppliers and others who work 3 shifts in this country and have invested billions of dollars into their infrastructure which are now telling their employees to not come to work due to the curfew. With this curfew, there will be some major problems in Thailand, and hope the military will decide to get rid of it quickly, otherwise the economy will be greatly affected with massive layoffs additionally.

From the beginning they said the curfew would not apply to several sets of people, that including odd-hour workers - such as shift workers - so there has been no need to stop working at night. The factory would just need to inform the local army set up, and all should be fine. At worse they can change hours to fit with the 10-5 curfew so people are not travelling between .

Here comes another country disagreeing the coup. It's not just US, UN and UK.

Anyone with some common sense disagree with the coup, sure anyone involved in any economic interest.

I do believe most Tv Suthep and Army coup supporters are retired !

Common sense - how so - just your :sense" perhaps? Is that common?

I'm not retired by the way - was never a Suthep supporter - but support the coup. So how did you arrive at your belief as to demographics?

• Like 1

My Thai wife supports the military coup, in fact she goes further and wishes that Thailand could be totally usurped by another country, a country that would restore some decency, honesty and dignity to the nation

She currently sees only negative views from the whole of the international community whenever Thailand is referred. The media only seem interested in the bar scene in Phuket and Pattaya, with the result that all Thai women are viewed as prostitutes, and every man a 'katoey'

The desperation expressed by many, clearly alcoholic, posters because of the curfew, illustrates just another of the country's ills. It is hardly Prohibition, alcohol is still on sale 17 hours a day!

So my wife is one Pheu Thai voter who, while saddened that her government has been ousted, accepts that the military had no choice but to step in

Personally I would like to see the next government formed via Proportional Representation, despite the weaknesses of that system,so that all parties would have a say in the way the country was administered, and all voters could feel that their vote had had some impact.

Much of the bullying and alleged vote buying that occurs in the current 'first past the post' system would diminish given PR. There wouldn't be that same desperation to elect one all powerful party and condemn all others to fruitless opposition

I was in 7-11 yesterday (buying bread and milk, not beer I might add :)) and realised it was 22:30 - no worries, walked home - no worries. Common sense prevails - farang with 7-11 bag heading to moo bahn from nearby 7-11, probably not a threat.

I like your wife's thinking - maybe wouldn't go as far as occupation by a foreign power though :)

I would like to see primaries here - not for leadership, but to limit the parties standing. There are far too many tiny parties that force a coalition - this induces promises and graft. I would like to see two rounds - the first to eliminate all bar say 4 top parties, and then them to go to vote. This would likely bring about a fairer seat allocation. I would also like to see a change that cabinet members, including the PM, selected only from elected MPs (or any party) - interestingly neither Thaksin or Yingluk would have been PM under such a system!

I think that question should go to you - as you have just used your freedom of speech and voiced against the Junta - anyone knocking at your door right now? No? Strange that! Curfew? Happens in many democracies following a mass breach of the peace - does that stop them being democracies? Sometimes some rights have to be curtailed either individually (such as imprisoning someone) or en masse (such as a curfew so innocents are not hurt and insurrection can be limited). Who was arrested without explanation? Everyone so far announced as arrested or having reported, has either been released already (just where is YL now?) and/or the reason is known well to all. How can they announce when order will be restored unless they either have a crystal ball - or use severe measure to achieve it - neither likely. the latter hardly desirable! People have been killed - and many more were going to be killed - complaining was not getting very far now was it? How many have been killed by the junta since then? Well, erm, that would be none then - even from those 21 self proclaimed terrorists caught yesterday! Yes, if someone is detained unjustly for years, then complain - if someone is executed extrajudicially - then feel free to complain - hasn't happened yet though has it?

They gasp in horror for what you say, BECAUSE they do not live here and have no idea what a coup means here - or why it was necessary.

I think that question should go to you - as you have just used your freedom of speech and voiced against the Junta - anyone knocking at your door right now? No? Strange that! Curfew? Happens in many democracies following a mass breach of the peace - does that stop them being democracies? Sometimes some rights have to be curtailed either individually (such as imprisoning someone) or en masse (such as a curfew so innocents are not hurt and insurrection can be limited). Who was arrested without explanation? Everyone so far announced as arrested or having reported, has either been released already (just where is YL now?) and/or the reason is known well to all. How can they announce when order will be restored unless they either have a crystal ball - or use severe measure to achieve it - neither likely. the latter hardly desirable! People have been killed - and many more were going to be killed - complaining was not getting very far now was it? How many have been killed by the junta since then? Well, erm, that would be none then - even from those 21 self proclaimed terrorists caught yesterday! Yes, if someone is detained unjustly for years, then complain - if someone is executed extrajudicially - then feel free to complain - hasn't happened yet though has it?

They gasp in horror for what you say, BECAUSE they do not live here and have no idea what a coup means here - or why it was necessary.

I live and work in Thailand, and my post was previous the last nice developments of Martial Law against who speaks about Junta. Of course I will be not an idiot and avoid to write further negative opinions about it, neither I will lick them boots.

By the way your sinister joke was really a cheap shot. I don't like your style, why in the heaven are you attacking me personally? And would you like to see someone knocking at my door now?

You have your idea, I have mine, and you better make your debate without personal attacks.

All those who were detained have been released... Where did you get that? Don't make up things thanks.

And as seen as you are not able to sustain a civil debate, please ignore my posts from now on.

Where did I attack you, personally or otherwise? No I would not like to see someone knocking at your door - that was far from the point though - the point is that freedom of speech has not be curtailed as far as you suggested. It was probably a poor turn of phrase and a language problem, I apologise if you took it as a shot - it was merely meant as an example that its not really as bad as suggested.

I did not say "All those who were detained have been released" I said "Everyone so far announced as arrested or having reported, has either been released already (just where is YL now?) and/or the reason is known well to all" - i.e. some have been released (YL and Abhisit for example - to give one from each side) and of the others still held we know about, the reason for their detention is obvious - inciting or partaking of, violence etc. I made nothing up - are you suggesting that Abhisit and YL are still in custody?

You really must either learn the language you are debating in better, so you know when you are being attacked and when not - or grow a thicker skin. Sorry, but at no time was I uncivil to you in my post.

I live and work in Thailand, and my post was previous the last nice developments of Martial Law against who speaks about Junta. Of course I will be not an idiot and avoid to write further negative opinions about it, neither I will lick them boots.

By the way your sinister joke was really a cheap shot. I don't like your style, why in the heaven are you attacking me personally? And would you like to see someone knocking at my door now?

You have your idea, I have mine, and you better make your debate without personal attacks.

All those who were detained have been released... Where did you get that? Don't make up things thanks.

And as seen as you are not able to sustain a civil debate, please ignore my posts from now on.

Where did I attack you, personally or otherwise? No I would not like to see someone knocking at your door - that was far from the point though - the point is that freedom of speech has not be curtailed as far as you suggested. It was probably a poor turn of phrase and a language problem, I apologise if you took it as a shot - it was merely meant as an example that its not really as bad as suggested.

I did not say "All those who were detained have been released" I said "Everyone so far announced as arrested or having reported, has either been released already (just where is YL now?) and/or the reason is known well to all" - i.e. some have been released (YL and Abhisit for example - to give one from each side) and of the others still held we know about, the reason for their detention is obvious - inciting or partaking of, violence etc. I made nothing up - are you suggesting that Abhisit and YL are still in custody?

You really must either learn the language you are debating in better, so you know when you are being attacked and when not - or grow a thicker skin. Sorry, but at no time was I uncivil to you in my post.

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize. Even if it is not a funny joke or examples in times like this, I overreacted.

For the rest, believe me, I lost my mood to debate. Actually situation is very heavy, I am glad you see it in a serene way.

I wish and I hope the best for Thailand, Thai people and all foreigners living and working in Thailand.

Peace...

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize. Even if it is not a funny joke or examples in times like this, I overreacted.

For the rest, believe me, I lost my mood to debate. Actually situation is very heavy, I am glad you see it in a serene way.

I wish and I hope the best for Thailand, Thai people and all foreigners living and working in Thailand.

Peace...

No worries friend - peace to you too smile.png

//Edit: PS: I am always serene when there is nothing I can do about the situation - no point worrying what you cannot change.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 2

Unbelievable!

We don't "love" military dictatorship, we just hate the bunch of crooks that were in charge before, and welcome a possible change to a better government.

"possible change", interesting. Roll the dice, see what happens. Or perhaps more appropriately, hit that unreliable watch with a hammer and hope it runs better.

What's the worst that can happen? Well in the case of Thaksin and company, the worst might be years of corrupt iron-fisted autocracy barely disguised as democracy, similar to Suharto in Indonesia and Marcos in the Philippines. In the case of generals who feel they can run a country better than an elected leader, look no further than Burma from 1962 until, well, we're not sure.

It's not my country and not for me to decide, but I favor letting the Thai people decide, not the military. Inexperience with democracy will lead to mistakes and harsh lessons, but I'd rather they go through that than possibly go through what Burma went through for a half a century.

• Like 1

Here comes another country disagreeing the coup. It's not just US, UN and UK.

Of course any elected government has no choice but to condemn the coup so that their military doesn't get any ideas. But under the elected government Thailand was sliding into recession because of the political deadlock. I'm sure many people will be glad to have a period of stability where they are able to access government services which have been interrupted for the past 6 months.

• Like 1