International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They will all mouth similar platitudes - but as long as business interests are safe and there's not mass bloodshed it will be business as usual. The international community is much more worried about Ukraine and the international ramifications than meddlesome domestics of Thailand. Baht seems solid as a rock at the moment as far as Sterling is concerned.

" it will be business as usual "

I have no idea how you could possibly reach that conclusion without knowing exactly how the millions who voted for the previous government are going to react to all this?blink.png

They cant do much against the army.. so business as usual.

The curfew made provision for people working odd hours - so why did they need to shut operations down overnight?

"..a move the United States said had "no justification" - The USA are experts of unjustified action! I think it is not such a bad thing for Thailand to stop buying arms for its super inflated military anyway, even at a reduced cost - seems to me its the USA that benefits most from it anyway.

The coup will be done and dusted by ASEAN.

• Like 2

A number of academics at our university are posting this frequent Thai-type of response to the outside world.

Amongst several messages, one of which is included in the message below, is the same as I'm hearing from my Thai colleagues and friends, that is, "the outside world just cannot understand the depth of the Thai mind and culture to be able to understand our situation; therefore they have no right to comment on it."

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400839294.644500.jpg

Maybe we will never understand “ the depth of the Thai mind and culture “ when they threw so much at the Shins and yet seem to totally ignore the corruption, scandal, political and criminal offences of Suthep? And at the end of the day, whether you liked the Shins or not they won a landslide victory, which has now simply been brushed aside

They aimed at a corrupt government - was Suthep in power? No. So, there is no more point going after him than the som tam lady that charges you too much. They brushed themselves aside when they asked for parliament to be dissolved last year - that was the end of their mandate under the election you mention, so is irrelevant. Many ministers went on to be fired by the CC - so even less of a mandate. Say it like it is, or don't say it at all. If Suthep was PM, then you would have a point - he isn't, never was and never will; be, so you don't.

• Like 1

Unbelievable the Army makes a safe country to travel in safer and every one gets upset about it.

If I recall correctly the auto makers were looking at loses because of low sales. They should enjoy the brief slow down.

Why do people want Thailand to return to a corrupt system of government. So they can point at Thailand and not look at themselves.

Or are they on thee receiving end of the gravy train the PTP has been running out of it's treasury?

• Like 2

Singapore also weighed in.... with even more pro Thaksin propaganda on Chanel News Asia.

The Singapore Mafia no doubt hoping to reap future benefits from their lucrative relationship with the Shin Mafia.

All the while not realizing that the political winds of change are blowing across Thailand as seen in PTP's disastrous result in the recent Senate Election.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27529563

BBC hinting at an "external factor". The more canny here will know what it is, though more internal really id say.

After 6 months of doing nothing something changed, hold tight this is going to be some ride.

Bull. Just more of the same shallow reporting of the BBCs Jonathan Head.

I thought his name was Richard Head, but maybe I shouldn't report such rubbish? giggle.gif

For me.....it's good here.....while a coup is not the ideal climax to achieve a resolution.....with opposing politcal teams both with what appears to be very limited intelligence....even those supposedly educated at Eton.....Thailand needed this to get it back on track......hopefully the military have the wherewithal to get things to a state whereby management can be handed back to civilians....

The west is loaded with over zealous journalists and editors, that want nothing more than to harp up a subject, such as this coup.....

It does seem that Prayuth is ignoring this reaction.....so far so good.

Banned overseas travel for all today......sorry YL.......have to go mail order for Hermes for a while!

A number of academics at our university are posting this frequent Thai-type of response to the outside world.

Amongst several messages, one of which is included in the message below, is the same as I'm hearing from my Thai colleagues and friends, that is, "the outside world just cannot understand the depth of the Thai mind and culture to be able to understand our situation; therefore they have no right to comment on it."

Why, what is so ruddy difficult about it?

Here comes another country disagreeing the coup. It's not just US, UN and UK.

Well... lets thank <deleted> that its got absolutely NOTHING to do with them.... and which country are you refering to as UN ? Or are you just another ignorant poster..? God love us...! bah.gif

Here comes another country disagreeing the coup. It's not just US, UN and UK.

Well... lets thank <deleted> that its got absolutely NOTHING to do with them.... and which country are you refering to as UN ? Or are you just another ignorant poster..? God love us...! bah.gif

Things are gonna be better with the army, the one decent group, who get things done and don't piss around nor mismanage everything under the sun.

The general is a multi millionaire, worth tens of millions in dollar terms. He sits on the board of over a dozen companies including banks and utility companies and gets an official salary through them and gets much more under the table.

The idea they are neutral and whiter than white is so naive its just pathetic. He is a crucial part of a ruling elite, shoring up their power ahead of the big D Day that is soon to come. (or came a few days ago i suspect but hasnt been announced.)

Could you name some of those companies as a supporting evidence?

Please- Everyone just needs to calm down. wai2.gif All these international dramatic negative responses only adds to the drama. Know that these problems have been around much longer than most of us probably have. Plus things were out of control. How would the US react if these things were happening in the states? There is a near civil war. What else should they do? Wait until how many more people die? They have a lot of pressure on them now.Give them positive help and support! Don't tell them we will turn our backs on them when they need us the most! I wouldn't want to be the guy at the top making the decisions.Who would'? The whole world is just itching to hear his first words so they can critique everything.

Who ever he is I has my prayers and I wish him the best of luck. Do it all for the Thai people.

Edited by yougivemebaby
  • Like 1

These Thais are right.. Thailand is not a true democracy and therefor a coup is not the same as a coup in a true democracy. As long as politicians can abuse power and nepotism and corruption rules with no checks and balances coups are the answer. Voting is no answer as the ruling party wont change a thing, they will throw some scraps at the poor to make them vote for them and rob the country blind.

The moment strong checks and balances are in place I have no problem with a PTP government that plays fair and sticks to the rules.

I have problems with a PTP government that :

- leaves its own protesters rot in jail because they want to include Taksin in the amnesty

- Who budgets the rice scheme at 0 bt as it would bring in money while loosing 700 billion bt that is not in budget reason for it else they could not do other populist policies. (nothing more as vote buying)

- Removes civil servants once they tell the truth on the rice sheme

- Removes civil servants to make room for family members and trusted people from the Shins thus totally controlling the country

- Tries to get a 2 trillion baht loan without any checks and totally not transparent

- Lie on figures and report untruths all the time (Surapong Kirrirat and others)

- Let senators vote for multiple people and then in court lie about it

- Secretly ad new things to vote for the senators while other anti senators are gone already

- and on and on and on.

Play by the rules and you wont get into trouble.. this all started because of the amnesty of Taksin, they overplayed their hand and now act like its the fault of the opposition

Good post.

This is so stupid. Other than the Japanese factories here (which have a rightful gripe if they currently run their facilities 24/7), all the other countries are so misinformed. The US is just pissed off because ex-Carlyle crony Uncle Thaksin, may soon lose his grip.

Of course everyone knows this coup is just a show anyway. A way to pacify the general Thai public since the two sides couldn't come to an agreement anyway.

http://altthainews.blogspot.sg/2014/05/thailands-operation-valkyrie.html?spref=fb&m=1

Tony C is dong a good job on his www.altthainews.blogspot.com

but yes the "internal" factor is still a hole lotta red shirts that may get fired up and start looking for any reason to start something - it ain't over yet

• Like 1

OMG...the Thai Military is coming...

Get a grip...this is Thailand...not Africa or South America...Martial Law...is a precursor to forming a democratic government in this country...and you should already know that...and quit acting like an overbearing school principal...

be assured I'm no supporter of Thaksin and I sincerely hope bloodshed can be avoided at all costs. I have a lot of family in country who just want to get on with their lives and earn an honest living. Whose considered response would be a curse on all sides who seek violent confrontation.

The Thai mentality is what cause all the problems in the first place. "Mai Pen Rai", we're bleeding out as a country through the corruption of our own elected government for personal gain. Whenever an issue comes up, it is heated for a bit and then swept under the rug and hidden from view. I'd like to say that this is exactly what is needed, but I'm pretty sure that after this coup everything will go back to the same thing. The fact is, we cannot just get on with our lives, something has to be done or we'll be back here again in a few years. It's our duty (the people's), to make sure the changes happen.

• Like 1

Its a shame these countries do not listen to their Embassies who could advise them that the Military is not as bad as people think. They are not going to war on their people

Well...Let's wait and see if you're right. I hear the buggles and drums. Don't you?

Edited by Gil

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27529563

BBC hinting at an "external factor". The more canny here will know what it is, though more internal really id say.

After 6 months of doing nothing something changed, hold tight this is going to be some ride.

Bull. Just more of the same shallow reporting of the BBCs Jonathan Head.

As I've said before, the BBC seem to have their head up their axxe when it comes to reporting anything about Thailand; they seem to be sxxt scared of saying anything that could be deemed derogatory and fail to report major accidents that occur in the country, but can go on and on about accidents that occur in other countries in south east asia. If you want to get any form of 'in depth' reporting about Thailand and what is going on then listen to the Australian TV channel. I'm from the UK by the way; before anybody accuses me of being 'biased'.

I'm sure that the 'half wits' from the UN, are getting ready to fly a huge delegation over to give their 'advice' and fill a few 5/6 star hotels to help the Thai economy out. This seems to be one of the very few things that they ARE good at spending huge amounts of money on.

They will all mouth similar platitudes - but as long as business interests are safe and there's not mass bloodshed it will be business as usual. The international community is much more worried about Ukraine and the international ramifications than meddlesome domestics of Thailand. Baht seems solid as a rock at the moment as far as Sterling is concerned.

By meddlesome domestics, do you mean what's being said about the possibility of northern red shirts getting encouragement and support for a civil war from southern insurgents or from communist influences like China and forcing the USA to side with a military interfering with democracy and elections; effectively altering the balance of power in SE Asia?

Problem with the international and media response is that they only can see things in face value. They haven't spent the time here day to day seeing what's really wrong

They only see a democratically elected government being deposed by a military regime. Especially to left leaning organizations, that's black and white grounds for condemnation. End of discussion

But the flaws in the form of democracy they have here are deep rooted. If you have a populace who seem determined to keep electing governments which are endemically corrupt and simply bad for the country as a whole, then this kind of thing is somewhat inevitable when you have a army which is quite independent compared with western military forces. The dynamic is simply different and in the end democracy is not a concept that can be implemented overnight, Thailand's version needs quite a bit of refining, compared with other countries the democracy here just a child in terms of age and children can behave unpredictably. And may need a bit of policing

The flaws are deep rooted in Sakdina, not democracy. How arrogant and naïve to declare that a government that has won six consecutive elections is simply bad for their country, not your country, not the hi-so elite's country, but their country. If you can't take off the rose colored glasses that are okay with people of privilege and influence usurping the rights of common people, at least think a little instead echoing a party line while fantasizing yourself one of the influential usurpers.

• Like 2