Protests Against Coup Continue in Bangkok

Lite Beer

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very thoughtful. Maybe some military hip hop for music classes. Drill for boys in sports classes? Mr Robby has problems to understand what a coup means. NO input wanted. They decide. Period. I can see that this imposing of orders on anyone without those time consuming exercises like elections, discussions ets is appealing to certain characters. Thai and others, including online persons.

However, legitimacy is gained exclusively through democratic elections. In Europe, the US, also New Zeeland (check it, yes, unbelievable - it is true!!) and it was so in Thailand, however flawed it was here.

Offering collaboration (look up the word) to promote once 'interests' (what a revealing term) to the current individuals wielding power is a perfect suggestion. But not for one who still upholds the principles of his/her home country and the ideals for which millions fought in WWII who overcame that sort of rule which robby nz seems so enticing.

I m still struggling to understand the logic of people like robby z and his sort. Neither the yellow nor the red shirts liked fair discussion, both abused the democratic process, we all can think of abuses of the law committed by both. That's why many, including myself, dont like those two sides. What I fail to get into my head how a group of people who committed the worst possible abuse of the democratic system can be supposed to perfect it? Given the past record, 1992 already forgotten?, it seems that both those yellow and red shirts pale in comparison to those guys now.

I would try to educate myself if i was you. You have no idea what Democracy is and Democracy is not a Human Right under the UN. You are only entitled to the right to take part in the government of your country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.. Democracy limits this right because it limits the options that are available to you. If I want to vote for a Military Dictatorship I cannot under the Democratic system.because I am limited to social norms. The UK is not a true Democracy because it doesn't have a Constitution and the US is not a true Democracy because I cannot vote for a Communist Candidate.

Most countries live under a Capitalist Democracy. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't have a Communist Democracy. Democracy is a word used by politicians to convince you you are living in a free and fair society. That's all.

If someone like Dr. Thaksin was ever elected to power in the US or the UK those countries would have military coups also.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I have posted very little since TV had to set it's new rules and the boards changed to something out of Alice in Sunderland.

But I have to ask, how could you vote for a dictatorship? as soon as people vote it stop being a dictatorship shirly?

• Like 1

I have posted very little since TV had to set it's new rules and the boards changed to something out of Alice in Sunderland.

But I have to ask, how could you vote for a dictatorship? as soon as people vote it stop being a dictatorship shirly?

It is a Human Right to choose a Dictatorship if you want to. It would cease to be a dictatorship and maybe abolish any further elections, but that is the whole point. It is your Human Right it has nothing to do with Democracy. Thank you for asking the question.

I would try to educate myself if i was you. You have no idea what Democracy is and Democracy is not a Human Right under the UN. You are only entitled to the right to take part in the government of your country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.. Democracy limits this right because it limits the options that are available to you. If I want to vote for a Military Dictatorship I cannot under the Democratic system.because I am limited to social norms. The UK is not a true Democracy because it doesn't have a Constitution and the US is not a true Democracy because I cannot vote for a Communist Candidate.

Most countries live under a Capitalist Democracy. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't have a Communist Democracy. Democracy is a word used by politicians to convince you you are living in a free and fair society. That's all.

If someone like Dr. Thaksin was ever elected to power in the US or the UK those countries would have military coups also.

Just one thing. The US does have a communist party and it has had candidates for POTUS in about 40% of elections in the past 100 years. I mean, when one went into the voting booth, that was a choice.

The US has a constitution including the Bill of Rights which guarantees among other things freedom of speech, freedom of association and freedom to peacefully assemble.

The US constitution is so small that it makes a booklet just 18 pages long which will fit into your shirt pocket. It has to be one of the most powerful things ever written in so few words.

The greatest thing about the US constitution is that it can be changes if a big enough majority want it changed.

The weakness is that it is so concise that the supreme court has to try to apply 200 year old words to the modern situation.

It is by far the best government handbook in the world.

Just one thing. The US does have a communist party and it has had candidates for POTUS in about 40% of elections in the past 100 years. I mean, when one went into the voting booth, that was a choice. LINK

The US has a constitution including the Bill of Rights which guarantees among other things freedom of speech, freedom of association and freedom to peacefully assemble.

The US constitution is so small that it makes a booklet just 18 pages long which will fit into your shirt pocket. That includes any amendments. It has to be one of the most powerful things ever written in so few words.

I understand the Constitution and Bill of Rights very well and they were two of the most powerful documents ever written but as far as the CPUSA goes and I am not a Communist myself, just trying to explain to some people the difference between Human Rights and Democracy. I like this quote from your link " By 1957, membership had dwindled to less than 10,000, of whom some 1,500 were informants for the FBI. "

Some powerful images of the protests on the latest video on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27569193

Another impartial report by the BBC. I can't blame them however because if their own citizens ever woke up to what kind of country they were living in they would want a coup too.

Stupid post of the day. cheesy.gif

Nothing good comes of change at the end of a gun. Its true you only have to look at the record, 19 done and where is Thailand after every one a few years down the line ? right back at square one the only time its become a powerhouse is when civilian rule and democracy ( such as it is here ) is given its free rein.

Sure it'll have problems but until it learns to work those problems out by dialogue and round the table it will continue to be stuck in this cycle. Which is just the way some like it.

And you think its all going to work out just dandy ?

Not a chance imo.

If you check your facts both parties were given the chance to sit around a table and resolve their problems but they failed to do so. That is why the military took power. On one side you have the upper and middle classes and on the other side you have poorly educated people being fed false promises by a convicted criminal living outside the Country. What I was commenting on here is the fact that standards have dropped in regard to the BBC's reporting of events. They are not impartial and the mob was obviously another rent-a-mob paid to create problems when a serous situation exists and needs resolution.

International media has decided to ignore the real facts of corruption and illegal activities of the Thaksin Regime and the real reasons behind the coup. If you have any suggestions to bring both parties together I would be glad to hear them.

• Like 2

Just one thing. The US does have a communist party and it has had candidates for POTUS in about 40% of elections in the past 100 years. I mean, when one went into the voting booth, that was a choice. LINK

The US constitution is so small that it makes a booklet just 18 pages long which will fit into your shirt pocket. That includes any amendments. It has to be one of the most powerful things ever written in so few words.

I understand the Constitution and Bill of Rights very well and they were two of the most powerful documents ever written but as far as the CPUSA goes and I am not a Communist myself, just trying to explain to some people the difference between Human Rights and Democracy. I like this quote from your link " By 1957, membership had dwindled to less than 10,000, of whom some 1,500 were informants for the FBI. "

Sorry. You said

"the US is not a true Democracy because I cannot vote for a Communist Candidate." That isn't true.

The US is not a democracy and never wanted to be. It is a Republic of States. Here's how it isn't a democracy:

There are 50 states. Each state gets 2 senators in the Senate, regardless of the population of the state. That gives the smallest state as much power in lawmaking as the largest state. It is therefore not ruled by a majority of the people, but rather by a majority of the states.

This is a good thing because it stops the biggest city people with big city ideas from ruling the rural people.

"States' Rights" are a big deal in the US.

Edited by NeverSure

Sorry. You said

"the US is not a true Democracy because I cannot vote for a Communist Candidate." That isn't true.

The US is not a democracy and never wanted to be. It is a Republic of States. Here's how it isn't a democracy:

There are 50 states. Each state gets 2 senators in the Senate, regardless of the population of the state. That gives the smallest state as much power in lawmaking as the largest state. It is therefore not ruled by a majority of the people, but rather by a majority of the states.

This is a good thing because it stops the biggest city people with big city ideas from ruling the rural people.

Completely correct it is Proportional Representation that I referred to in a previous post. It is un-Democratic because it is not one man one vote as most people's idea of Democracy is. Thank You!

Another impartial report by the BBC. I can't blame them however because if their own citizens ever woke up to what kind of country they were living in they would want a coup too.

Nothing good comes of change at the end of a gun. Its true you only have to look at the record, 19 done and where is Thailand after every one a few years down the line ? right back at square one the only time its become a powerhouse is when civilian rule and democracy ( such as it is here ) is given its free rein.

Sure it'll have problems but until it learns to work those problems out by dialogue and round the table it will continue to be stuck in this cycle. Which is just the way some like it.

Not a chance imo.

If you check your facts both parties were given the chance to sit around a table and resolve their problems but they failed to do so. That is why the military took power. On one side you have the upper and middle classes and on the other side you have poorly educated people being fed false promises by a convicted criminal living outside the Country. What I was commenting on here is the fact that standards have dropped in regard to the BBC's reporting of events. They are not impartial and the mob was obviously another rent-a-mob paid to create problems when a serous situation exists and needs resolution.

International media has decided to ignore the real facts of corruption and illegal activities of the Thaksin Regime and the real reasons behind the coup. If you have any suggestions to bring both parties together I would be glad to hear them.

OK a few things.

1 less than 8 hours over two days does not constitute much of a chance to sit down and thrash out a solution .... that is a lack of patience.

2 the BBC I refer to as the British Brainwashing Corporation although there was nothing bias about that article the UK is a functioning democracy and isnt going to paint any Junta as necessary.

3 Your claim of a rent a mob is based on nothing but speculation, it could be but equally it may very well not be, you really think people cant protest here based on their own opinions or outrage ? At the moment i dont know if youve noticed but protesting is in Vogue no one I know is happy about having yet another coup.

4 Your real facts as you like to put being ignored by the international media extends to all outlets i suppose....that would then include other than main media who btw pretty much all say the same thing and its not out of love for their own mass media which they despise.... it couldnt just be that they being able to come to their own FREE and printable conclusions and having access to information that is actually uncensored outside Thailand . Yes thats right the outside world has far more information available to it than most do here.

5 Im afraid your opinion the UK would have a coup if the masses woke up is so far off base its untrue, the UK has changed massively in the past 50 years for the better and its done it all without any military intervention ( apart from the green goddesses occasionally ) Change takes time and we understand that there.

I am not going to get into the Thaksin is the devil debate yet again, i dont like the guy at all but its impossible to even have a decent conversation with anyone whos already of the strong opinion you hold .. no offence but I dont want to waste my time but safe to say imo hes no worse or better than many others before him and no doubt many others currently about here and will be around in the future.

Bringing both parties together was a good step, failing to have patience and giving it the time and determination to get them to thrash out a compromise was imo a mistake. Talks take time and that was not given ... not at all.. a few hrs after the coup then a summons and expecting a deal on the table in two meetings is ridiculous... these are politicians and hard headed,they do nothing fast.. a few weeks and pressure to find a solution would have been more realistic and imo more sensible than to go the whole hog and renege on the claim of no coup only 48hrs earlier.

Im afraid I go with the international media on this one... and no i dont believe they dont have a clue, in fact they have far more journalistic experience and information at their disposal than we do here... and crucially more freedom to say what they think.

Thats not to say I rely on the BBC or CNN because i dont, alternative media and not so main stream news channels are my preferred option, and a wide one at that... there is not much support anywhere for a military takeover of a country in the free world. Thailand is nothing special in regards of how the free world sees military takeovers,

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

It is a Human Right to choose a Dictatorship if you want to. It would cease to be a dictatorship and maybe abolish any further elections, but that is the whole point. It is your Human Right it has nothing to do with Democracy. Thank you for asking the question.

You may think it is your right to choose dictatorship.. But you would need a majority.. And then, after a dictatorship chosen by the majority was installed, how can other people exercise their right in a few more years, dictatorship removes peoples rights, its not a one time then stop, its an ongoing process of selection.

Not a chance imo.

OK a few things.

1 less than 8 hours over two days does not constitute much of a chance to sit down and thrash out a solution .... that is a lack of patience.

2 the BBC I refer to as the British Brainwashing Corporation although there was nothing bias about that article the UK is a functioning democracy and isnt going to paint any Junta as necessary.

3 Your claim of a rent a mob is based on nothing but speculation, it could be but equally it may very well not be, you really think people cant protest here based on their own opinions or outrage ? At the moment i dont know if youve noticed but protesting is in Vogue no one I know is happy about having yet another coup.

4 Your real facts as you like to put being ignored by the international media extends to all outlets i suppose....that would then include other than main media who btw pretty much all say the same thing and its not out of love for their own mass media which they despise.... it couldnt just be that they being able to come to their own FREE and printable conclusions and having access to information that is actually uncensored outside Thailand . Yes thats right the outside world has far more information available to it than most do here.

5 Im afraid your opinion the UK would have a coup if the masses woke up is so far off base its untrue, the UK has changed massively in the past 50 years for the better and its done it all without any military intervention ( apart from the green goddesses occasionally ) Change takes time and we understand that there.

I am not going to get into the Thaksin is the devil debate yet again, i dont like the guy at all but its impossible to even have a decent conversation with anyone whos already of the strong opinion you hold .. no offence but I dont want to waste my time but safe to say imo hes no worse or better than many others before him and no doubt many others currently about here and will be around in the future.

Bringing both parties together was a good step, failing to have patience and giving it the time and determination to get them to thrash out a compromise was imo a mistake. Talks take time and that was not given ... not at all.. a few hrs after the coup then a summons and expecting a deal on the table in two meetings is ridiculous... these are politicians and hard headed,they do nothing fast.. a few weeks and pressure to find a solution would have been more realistic and imo more sensible than to go the whole hog and renege on the claim of no coup only 48hrs earlier.

Im afraid I go with the international media on this one... and no i dont believe they dont have a clue, in fact they have far more journalistic experience and information at their disposal than we do here... and crucially more freedom to say what they think.

Thats not to say I rely on the BBC or CNN because i dont, alternative media and not so main stream news channels are my preferred option, and a wide one at that... there is not much support anywhere for a military takeover of a country in the free world. Thailand is nothing special in regards of how the free world sees military takeovers,

Your post contradicts the title of your avatar.

Bringing the 2 parties together was never going to work but only stimulus by the military could make it happen. Early realisation that the children could play nicely together required decisive action at last.

The rice farmers will now get paid, the Baht has strengthened and the BoT talks of the economy being stabalised. That is not a bad result for the first few days and I am warming to this junta.

You speak of patience. Patience needs to be shown by those wishing to protest against the coup. Of course, everyone wants to see Thailand managed democratically - that is TRUE democracy, free from corruption, graft and vote buying for starters. That was certainly NOT in place and there is now hope of improvements. Prayuth should be given breathing space to implement the necessary changes and move towards a democratic process. Street protests cannot help and I suggest they are intended to be inflammatory.

Journalists - they should butt out and report on whats happening rather than try and create news. Fueling the actions of protestors simply puts them in the scum category for me and (I never thought I would hear myself say this) supports the policy of censorship.

• Like 2

At the first meeting, Prayuth told told each delegation to come back the next day with three items on which they could compromise. Each team had around 20 hours to prepare for the next meeting. It seems to me that Prayuth wanted to see progress, and not necessarily the solution on the second day.

On Thursday or Friday of the previous week, Suthep aligned with the Senate showing both his ability and willingness to compromise.

Thaksin, on the other hand, forbid PTP & UDD to compromise, which sealed the fate of the negotiations and forced Prayuth's hand.

3 Your claim of a rent a mob is based on nothing but speculation, it could be but equally it may very well not be, you really think people cant protest here based on their own opinions or outrage ?

If you check Sunday's Live Feed, the anti-coup protesters have already admitted to being a Red organization. And we all know what that means.

• Like 2

Not a chance imo.

OK a few things.

Your post contradicts the title of your avatar.

Bringing the 2 parties together was never going to work but only stimulus by the military could make it happen. Early realisation that the children could play nicely together required decisive action at last.

The rice farmers will now get paid, the Baht has strengthened and the BoT talks of the economy being stabalised. That is not a bad result for the first few days and I am warming to this junta.

You speak of patience. Patience needs to be shown by those wishing to protest against the coup. Of course, everyone wants to see Thailand managed democratically - that is TRUE democracy, free from corruption, graft and vote buying for starters. That was certainly NOT in place and there is now hope of improvements. Prayuth should be given breathing space to implement the necessary changes and move towards a democratic process. Street protests cannot help and I suggest they are intended to be inflammatory.

Journalists - they should butt out and report on whats happening rather than try and create news. Fueling the actions of protestors simply puts them in the scum category for me and (I never thought I would hear myself say this) supports the policy of censorship.

Unfortunately the world dosnt work like that. People will be people and every action has a reaction, encouraged or not.

You should have read my slogan before trying to be smart. The reality is all parties here are more than aware of the capability of the Military and they would have known there was only going to be talk or coup, now given that they are all Thai and have seen first hand past interventions im more than certain that the stimulus was already there without going to the extreme, what wasnt there was time.

The media will not butt out either thats another reality and they will report as they find, like it or not Thailand atm is of interest to the world, no small amount being it has set itself up for one of the worlds most favourite tourist destination. Ohh yes its tourist hub and dollars ensures that millions and having been here will be reading the news.

There was never an ideal solution but there was the reality of a beginning of compromise and talking had it been given a real chance. Not now

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The US constitution was written at a time when many of our technologies did not exist and by people who could not have imagined the world we now live in. I would suggest that it is an outdated document in need of serious revision. It was not written on stone tablets by God, it was written by slave owners with muskets.

The issue here is the long term intentions of Prayuth - if his intentions are to seize power and keep it under some sort of military dictatorship then I'm all for these people protesting - but ask yourself - do you honestly believe that is his intention ?

I for one do not, I believe general Prayuth has no intention of remaining in power - the Thai people wouldn't let him anyway, I believe he is trying to put in place the changes/reforms that would prevent Thailand ever needing the military to step in ever again, a strong Constitution with the holes plugged - law reform - strengthen the institutions/courts there to protect the constitution - set in place serious penalties for those that corrupt and abuse power - accountability etc etc, the list is huge - and equally it is a challenging task to get right so this is going to take brains and time - I don't see the need to rush

These few hundred people have said their bit and protested - we got the message now move on and let this process take it's course and see what good comes from it for all of Thailand

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The US constitution was written at a time when many of our technologies did not exist and by people who could not have imagined the world we now live in. I would suggest that it is an outdated document in need of serious revision. It was not written on stone tablets by God, it was written by slave owners with muskets.

No sorry. The Supreme court functions to keep the constitution's interpretation up to date.

"Equal Justice Under Law . . ."

These words, written above the main entrance to the Supreme Court Building, express the ultimate responsibility of the Supreme Court of the United States. The Court is the highest tribunal in the Nation for all cases and controversies arising under the Constitution or the laws of the United States. As the final arbiter of the law, the Court is charged with ensuring the American people the promise of equal justice under law and thereby, also functions as guardian and interpreter of the Constitution.

More photographers than Red Shirt protesters.

anti-coup protesters actually

I'm not so sure - the leaders of this group are very clearly red as are you

I am not red I am pro-democracy, pro-reform and anti-violence on either side

or are you saying that's red?

Edited by binjalin

The issue here is the long term intentions of Prayuth - if his intentions are to seize power and keep it under some sort of military dictatorship then I'm all for these people protesting - but ask yourself - do you honestly believe that is his intention ?

No he wont keep power personally, but he will do all he can to see revisions to the systems so that his cronies, backers and their interests gain as much power as possible..

If you dont think that is the very essence of what is at play here you really dont know much about how thailand works.

• Like 1

No he wont keep power personally, but he will do all he can to see revisions to the systems so that his cronies, backers and their interests gain as much power as possible..

If you dont think that is the very essence of what is at play here you really dont know much about how thailand works.

He will keep power personally. Tis you who don't know the system. Check the past coups for verification.

Sorry. You said

Completely correct it is Proportional Representation that I referred to in a previous post. It is un-Democratic because it is not one man one vote as most people's idea of Democracy is. Thank You!

One man one vote for your representative which is sent to the government (and the seats are broken up by population). The president is elected by electoral college because of necessity (can you imagine a national recount 50 years ago? ) Those that are sent to the electoral college are voted on a one man one vote basis (and follow the will of the local people) and provides a much more manageable recount ability. The only time it fails is when it is extremely close in popular vote nationally and the distribution of votes is uneven (maybe certain seats breakdown 90/10 vs the average of 55/45). But then 2 things differ.... constitutionally the president is a weak presidency (the current congress has not reigned that in), and if one wins 49/51.... does either really have a clear mandate anyways? Since legislation is constitutionally the responsibility of the lower house and not the president..... any legislation would have to get support for all 3 levels of the administration.... this was done on purpose so that it was more representative of the will of the people in general. It is not working out that way right now because corruption in the system makes representatives less amenable to finding a middle ground.