Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai Closed?

FACTOR

I live in Nong Khai, and from what I hear, they are checking everyone leaving very closely.

Apparently, they are leaving very few Lao people in today - those coming to go to hospital and other emergency cases.

So no, it's not closed, but it's not the best time to cross there unless it's absolutely necessary.

I would stop at Immigration on the road to the bridge and ask them what's happening if I were you.

Otherwise, all is pretty much normal around here; just an increased military presence at various places.

• Like 1

heard its closed to Farangs entering and all thais are being checked so that any red shirts can not leave the country.

Security at several border checkpoints were strengthened on Friday following the military coup on Thursday.

NONG KHAI: -- Soldiers were assigned to the checkpoint bordering Laos at Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai’s Muang district. Thai citizens were prohibited from crossing the border to Laos but Laotians were allowed to return home through the checkpoint.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....-4#entry7871736

Also heard Pailin and Osmach are closed entering Cambodia and Poi Pet is ONLY open till 5 pm ratehr than 10pm

heard its closed to Farangs entering and all thais are being checked so that any red shirts can not leave the country.

Security at several border checkpoints were strengthened on Friday following the military coup on Thursday.

NONG KHAI: -- Soldiers were assigned to the checkpoint bordering Laos at Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai’s Muang district. Thai citizens were prohibited from crossing the border to Laos but Laotians were allowed to return home through the checkpoint.

Also heard Pailin and Osmach are closed entering Cambodia and Poi Pet is ONLY open till 5 pm ratehr than 10pm

How can they tell if someones a red shirt or not unless they are well known?

I crossed around 3pm on Friday coming into Thailand from Laos, no problems whatsoever.

It sounds like it is not the same for all people.

Are you Lao, Thai, farang or ??? thanks.

I am farang, went over on Thursday morning to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, came back Friday afternoon with a new Visa......

am sure they have a list with photos, and same with the Cambodian borders. Immigration is all computerized

Although it would be quite easy to slip out of the country

• Like 1

This from my Japanese friend who lives in Savannakhet, Laos yesterday afternoon:

"I decided to go to the border by my motorbike, and trying to walk into Mukdahan by myself.
As a result, no problem. They say, foreingers can get in, but Lao can not.
"

He had earlier been told the international bus was cancelled when trying to buy a ticket at the Savannakhet bus station.

NONG KHAI: -- Soldiers were assigned to the checkpoint bordering Laos at Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge in Nong Khais Muang district. Thai citizens were prohibited from crossing the border to Laos but Laotians were allowed to return home through the checkpoint.

He? What's the colour of a red shirt?

• 3 weeks later...

My wife has told me the Friendship Bridge from Nong Khai to Vientiane has been closed or blocked. Anybody know about this?

Thanks.

How can you post this since my wife told me the internet has been blocked by the military junta?