Junta wants sweeping reforms before election

Lite Beer

Honestly you guys actually supporting a military coup make me sick!

You wouldn't cop it your own country but you support in Thailand.

The thai majority do not want this they wanted yingluck and the PTP and said so at the ballot box in a landslide only to once again have it ripped away by another coup.

Truly bloody sickening!

Agree 100%

There doesn't exist one nice and happy country in the world that are run by a junta. That took power by a coup. Everywhere else the fight against it. Here a lot if people promote it. I bet they would love N Korea

I would agree if the junta was a permanent fixture as is in many countries BUT here they do their best to stabilize first then have elections.

Your post is OTT re Nth Korea etc. get real. Your PTP was more like Nth Korea than the Junta. Ha Ha a self destructing government, what a load of tripe they were.

The Junta and the coups are a permanent fixture in Thailand. After a couple of years it's a new coup again. Like always

What you want then is Thaksins shins /PTP to carry on cheating the country, When there is protests--ELECTIONS --democracy--are shouted from the roof tops by the reds-----they bleeding BLEW it big time hence the military intervenes.

Then good -- clean up the spew, try again to have a transparent government.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the OP:

The military believes underground movements would soon surface to oppose the coup.

The military dictators and the ammart are deeper into it than they had ever been for a hundred years yet they're still digging.

Good on US Ambassador Kristie Kenney and German Ambassador Rolf Schulze among others for not attending the meeting because, as they said, they want nothing to do with the Thai military as dictators ruling over Thailand. That's an excellent posture by Prez Obama and Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Waiting also for the sanctions coming that were referenced in the OP, by the United States and the European Union. I see the State Department has now issued a travel warning against travel to Thailand, which throws the marker down to begin the international processes to isolate the military dictatorship. Military mutiny coup d'état is already passe' in civilized society but this one is beyond the pale.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. has only just begun to begin for the militarists, the military dictators, the ammart. There's a severe shitstorm headed their way.

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security Situation in Thailand

Thailand Travel Alert

Last Updated: May 23, 2014

The U.S. Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider any non-essential travel to Thailand, particularly Bangkok, due to ongoing political and social unrest and restrictions on internal movements, including an indefinite nighttime curfew throughout Thailand. The Department of State has advised official U.S. government travelers to defer all non-essential travel to Thailand until further notice. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert issued on May 16, 2014.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

How many elected Governments has the CIA managed to overthrow in the past,

So not attending by the American ambassador is a bit hypocritical in my view,

Regards Worgeordie

let's just look at the Ukraine for example....5 billion spent on NGO's to buy the neo nazi's they put in charge - and the 8 week appointed PM already signing the 17 billion euro bailout before the election - which happens to be sunday...the usa likes one or doesn't like the other depending on which side of the fence they want to sit on over each country...the rice scam corruption is in the billions of dollars...anyway - we will see - but someone had to be the referee on this deal...neither side was moving so it has to done - let's hope there is no fighting but hard to believe it won't get ugly here in the days and weeks to come

We all KNOW embassy staff have a deluded, secluded and opportunistic view of the countries they live in. They get swopped every four years and don t give a damn. Shame on them! Shame for judging a coup that is supported by 75% of the people! Shame on judging when the system in place absolutely FAILED! Get out of your special moo baans for embassy staff. Get off your asses, out of your shiny air conditioned premises and see what was happening on the streets! Stop interferring with a natural process. Politics failed. The country in tatters. On the verge of a civil war. Weapons were on the way. You guys are so blind in your ivory towers. Get a life! We live here. This is our home. We live this country. We re not journey men. We re here to stay. And the strife and troubles have torn this beautiful place apart. The coup will HEAL. It will take some time, but it WILL!

Shame on you lot!

Great strategies, peace restored, laws will be changed, warring factions stopped, farmers paid, people who care and are knowledgable will be in charge, economists and the likes. Good job. Carry on!

What streets are you referring to?

I was out plenty times in

Korat..no problems or disruption there

Saraburi.. no problems or disruption there

Pak Thong Chai..no problems or disruption there

Khonkaen...no problems or disruption there

Pattaya... you guessed it. no problems either.

I could go on and on and on naming towns and cities where the street life was normal, and life was the same as it was two years ago, stop being such a drama queen, and realise that not everyone sees the coup as the be all and end all, and you wont be so jingoistic if the first thing on the Army's agenda was to boot out all the farang and take all their business's and homes off them would you? I know that you will say that that would never happen, how do you know then that a civil war was "on the verge" as you put it, you don't, so you don't have a clue what the Junta are thinking, they're all nice and sweet and smile now, that can turn in a heart beat.

The Iraqi's greeted their "liberators" with the same adulation, that soon turned to rat shit, due to the Military not knowing how to run a country without the co-operation of the Ba'athists who had just been banned, things can still go from flash to bang in Thailand without notice, all it takes is an action from the Military that doesn't sit well with the General population.

I've been there for the past 10 years, and seen the power hungry and greedy Authorities become more and more corrupt as time passed, the brown envelopes rule in this part of the world, corruption in Thailand will NEVER be eradicated.. EVER!!

The country is already in the grips of a civil war in the South, and has been for 10 years.

good points FH !!!

Whatever is needed to restore the country back to norm will never be accepted by the 1% of TVF because never a wrong done and everything is politically motivated they say.

This heading --topic-- is exactly what was said all along by our good thinking 99% of TVF. Go for it guys.

Maybe now you guys are beginning to realize the storm is brewing rather than having past and that the Thailand military have made matters infinitely worse, thus exceeding their massive cock up of a military mutiny coup d'état in 2006.

The 2006 coup was the single most divisive event in the history of Thailand, but that astounding blunder is in the process of being exceeded by this bunch in this time under present circumstances.

The night time curfew is on indefinitely - but you knew that, right? You knew what was coming, right? Tell me you knew. Please tell me you knew.

Douches.

This post is ridiculous.

Quote- "you guys" you mean the 99% of TVF posters ??

You think the military have made it quote "infinitely worse"

Biggest cock up years ago was the reds occupying BKK. but you do not see it that way up to you.

You have no idea the curfew is indefinitely-- why speak like that. ?? Sorry your PTP has been decimated--it must hurt you so much.

I look forward to drastic reforms as always and super clean elections for all citizens. Reforms needed---elections needed.

Try explaining that to all the Farangs and Thais who own bars and other hospitality establishments in the tourist areas all over Thailand, if the curfew goes on for an indefinate period, they will all lose their business's and their investments, instead of business's in Bangkok suffering through the protracted protests.

I'm 100% sure if it was your business that was closed down, through the protests, you wouldn't be so thrilled about the PDRC then, the idea was a noble one, but NOBODY expected the Regime to have remained in place for so long, many business's in Bangkok suffered as a result of these protests

Now many business's all over Thailand will be losing a LOT more due to the actions of the Coup, I can't quite see all these proprietors being "thrilled" about the coup, can you?

AS ALWAYS blame the protesters---blame the coup---blame everyone but the perpetrators --PTP Shins cheating big time---your story is a no go one.

My business was killed when the amnesty was wanting to be passed----here was the MAIN start of all. Now you go and try to explain to most farrangs that it was not the PTP that started the turmoil.

Suppose the coup is better that the reds occupying BKK again and the loss of business they incurred . NO repeat this time red boys.

If you want to see who is considered to be the most corrupt of the Govt departments have a look at the following :

attachicon.gifcorruption index.jpg

This is compiled by the National Anti Corruption Commission and is 2012 vintage. Things may have changed for the Navy now with the Rohinga thing.

Look who is bottom on the list, that is the most corrupt.

That's right, the outfit that's supposed to be fighting corruption in the public service.

What's happened to Customs and Revenue Dept ?

They used to rated the most corrupt almost every year, have they really been cleaned up so much ?

A little hard to believe.

Or the Police! And the bottom is not the "most corrupt" but the least - it says the bottom 5, of which it is the lowest. Knowing what stats are like in this country, not worth the paper is was originally printed on I would suggest!

Will these reforms include the Military? They need serious reforming, to many Generals and to much power over the people. The Military should answer to the Government and not the other way around.

I think we all know that particular answer Chooka.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Clever but obvious move to pay the farmers first. The coup ousted government were blocked at every turn when trying to pay them.

The military have no such restriction.

Suthep,sadly, has won hands down as the military are now implementing everything no sane person wanted to see. Unelected government and officials. Where is Suthep by the way?

I think these guys are in it for a long ride, don't think you will see the illiterate great unwashed having an opportunity to express their democratic rights for some time to come.

Thailand is in a very sorry state.

The failed government blocked themselves when they didn't provide for the farmers before dissolving parliament.

With regard to Suthep: Check the Live Feed.

'Live Feed'? Please share.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728687-thailand-live-saturday-24-may-2014/

Each day's page has been updated frequently with the arrivals at Army Club.

From the OP:

The military believes underground movements would soon surface to oppose the coup.

The military dictators and the ammart are deeper into it than they had ever been for a hundred years yet they're still digging.

Good on US Ambassador Kristie Kenney and German Ambassador Rolf Schulze among others for not attending the meeting because, as they said, they want nothing to do with the Thai military as dictators ruling over Thailand. That's an excellent posture by Prez Obama and Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Waiting also for the sanctions coming that were referenced in the OP, by the United States and the European Union.

I see the State Department has now issued a travel warning against travel to Thailand, which throws the marker down to begin the international processes to isolate the military dictatorship. Military mutiny coup d'état is already passe' in civilized society but this one is beyond the pale.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. has only just begun to begin for the militarists, the military dictators, the ammart. There's a severe shitstorm headed their way.

When banker Mario Monte was made the head of the government of Italy, it was by:

a. a democratic election and majority vote of the people of Italy;

b. appointment at the urging of the IMF, banks, and financial stakeholders,

making him a:

a. duly elected member of the government expressing the will of the Italian people;

b. dictator put in place to extract every pound of flesh available for the benefit of the elite.

When Greek banker Papademos was made the head of the government of Greece, it was by:

a. a democratic election and majority vote;

b. appointment by the urging of the IMF, banks, and financial stakeholders,

making him a:

a. duly elected member of the government expressing the will of the Greek people;

b. dictator put in place to extract every pound of flesh available for the benefit of the elite.

I'm thinking the Pot is calling the Kettle black. Democracy is an illusion. So is Dictatorship. But the words do ellict specific and generally predictable reactions from the masses which can then be used to "spin" issues. The best "Spin-masters" tend to win popular consensus, regardless or whether or not the issue is backed by reality.

I think I'll go plant some tomatoes today. Beautiful day for gardening smile.png

• Like 1

Well father in law and the guy who rents wifeys paddy have been waiting for their rice payments since October. Hopefully the Junta will be good for their word and pay the poor farmers within 20 days.

The problem I see is the country, does not have the money to pay them, if they "find" money then what else suffers.

The country has the money to pay the farmers, but the former government had no means to access it due to their mismanagement of the situation.

One can only hope the farmers will remember this.

The country had the money to pay the farmers. But the former government, despite its goodwill, was prevented to access the money ...

The farmers are not stupid and will remember that

No. Yingluck did not provide for the farmers to be paid before she dissolved parliament.

From the OP:

Waiting also for the sanctions coming that were referenced in the OP, by the United States and the European Union. I see the State Department has now issued a travel warning against travel to Thailand, which throws the marker down to begin the international processes to isolate the military dictatorship. Military mutiny coup d'état is already passe' in civilized society but this one is beyond the pale.

Thailand Travel Alert

The U.S. Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider any non-essential travel to Thailand, particularly Bangkok, due to ongoing political and social unrest and restrictions on internal movements, including an indefinite nighttime curfew throughout Thailand. The Department of State has advised official U.S. government travelers to defer all non-essential travel to Thailand until further notice. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert issued on May 16, 2014.

How many elected Governments has the CIA managed to overthrow in the past,

So not attending by the American ambassador is a bit hypocritical in my view,

Regards Worgeordie

You think this is over with?!?

Look out your window tonight while you're at home due to the indefinite curfew and you'll see a bad moon rising.

I see the bad moon arisin'

I see trouble on the way

I see earthquakes and lightnin'

I see bad times today

http://www.songlyrics.com/creedence-clearwater-revival/bad-moon-rising-lyrics/

Smell the coffee.

Wife and I go to bed at 9pm and are up about 5am. Like the vast majority of rural folks (who make up the vast majority of the population), the curfew has no effect at all on us. Soooooo.....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The latest international news is that the head of the Junta will be the next PM of Thailand.

Although some might think that's a good idea, I don't think Prayuth would consider it a promotion.
It's not about a promotion. Only about money

It's about power.

Prayuth has managed to take the wind out of the sails of many Pheu Thai and UDD supporters by placing the payment to the farmers as being the number one top priority.

Not really.

It just shows the money to pay the farmer has always been here.

Who stopped the payment ?

The farmers are not stupid.

If you think things are so straight forward, why no free election ?

Yingluck stopped paying the farmers before she dissolved parliament, and Yingluck made no provisions to pay the farmers when she dissolved parliament.

You think this is over with?!?

Look out your window tonight while you're at home due to the indefinite curfew and you'll see a bad moon rising.

I see the bad moon arisin'

I see trouble on the way

I see earthquakes and lightnin'

I see bad times today

http://www.songlyrics.com/creedence-clearwater-revival/bad-moon-rising-lyrics/

Smell the coffee.

Wife and I go to bed at 9pm and are up about 5am. Like the vast majority of rural folks (who make up the vast majority of the population), the curfew has no effect at all on us. Soooooo.....coffee1.gif

It's the roosters, they set the pace.

Prayuth has managed to take the wind out of the sails of many Pheu Thai and UDD supporters by placing the payment to the farmers as being the number one top priority.

Not really.

It just shows the money to pay the farmer has always been here.

Who stopped the payment ?

The farmers are not stupid.

If you think things are so straight forward, why no free election ?

:-)

I've been saying this for a long time, the fact that the money has been so easy to allocate proves beyond a sadow of a doubt that the payments never were an issue for the government, and that it was being withheld to punish the farmers for supporting PT. Unfortunately PCAD supporters of the Scamper variety don't have much in the way of critical thinking so this never occurred to them.

The inconvenient truth is that Yingluck stopped paying the farmers before she dissolved parliament, and Yingluck made no provisions to pay the farmers when she dissolved parliament.

If the government had the money, why didn't Yingluck pay the farmers before she dissolved parliament? And when dissolving parliament, why didn't Yingluck include provisions to pay the farmers?

While he is at reforming how about reforming the kangaroo courts that are filled with yellows and hand down bias verdicts time after time!

And reinstate yingluck as PM!

While I agree with what you say, I don't really think Yingluck should come back. Whatever you think of Thaksin you have to agree he draws anger like a lightening rod draws lightening...he is just too polarizing a figure to have any of his relatives involved in government ever again. Don't give the "Yellow Shirts" an excuse to do this again. I know they will look for any excuse if they do not win the next election, but Thaksin and his family turn these people into rabid dogs. At least give them less to chew on next time.

I really don't believe Yingluck did anything wrong, but she was too influenced by her brother who is now harming the country by staying involved in politics. Basically, she wasn't astute enough or smart enough to be a PM...she is not PM material. The northern part of this country needs to find a solid, educated and respected person to run for PM who does not have ties to the "Shin" family and who is also not a radical "Red Shirt".

Edited by oneday
  • Like 1

Honestly you guys actually supporting a military coup make me sick!

You wouldn't cop it your own country but you support in Thailand.

The thai majority do not want this they wanted yingluck and the PTP and said so at the ballot box in a landslide only to once again have it ripped away by another coup.

Truly bloody sickening!

A 47% or so majority voted for PTP. A recent Dusit poll said an over 75% majority support martial law.

The message seems clear to me!

Polls are very easy to skew if you wish.

If its so totally obvious to the vast majority theres no problem in a referendum then is there ??

Or suddenly not so sure of your support..

The referendum comes after the reforms are proposed.

... at least a start into the right direction. Reforms will be massive ...

How do you know they are heading into the right direction??

They have already started or perhaps you hadn't noticed?.

Ginjag,

You do realise that protestors were the both sides of the camp, and they were BOTH to blame, you're like a stuck record with this anti government , if it was so bad, why did you chose to stay?

I'm sorry that your business was killed off too, and that goes for anyone else who's business has been effected by the current political situation, may I be so bold as to ask what your business was?

I had no opinion of the Government as they never did anything to me, or caused me any hardship or difficulties, wasn't in Thailand long enough to be able to judge the apparent ineptness of the Democrat run one, or the Robbing PTP one, but you bang on and on and on about the failures of the PTP one, as if they are the only ones to have ever done wrong.

The amnesty Bill is a red herring, and given that you have lived in Thailand for a long long time, should be very aware of the "issues" going on behind closed doors that is at the root of the current situation, but you can't and will not because you're so blinkered that you're focusing on the woods, and not seeing the trees, I might be relatively new to Thailand, but I know that there's things going on that can't be discussed, about an event that's imminent, I don't care about the PTP, I don't care about the UDD, I don't care about the PDRC, what I do care about is how that event is going to effect all the Thais.

Now, in saying all that, it's evident that the PTP were very poor Government, but voting them out after making claims that the "majority" wanted a change WOULD have been the logical step to take, but there is no logic in Thailand, there never was a "majority" it was political spin, if that "majority" wanted the PTP/UDD out, they would have and should have had the opportunity to VOTE them out, but you are the one who will cry but but but Thaksin will buy the votes... utter and complete , the truth is the PDRC and anti Government groups NEVER ever had the majority, what you're really saying is that yes, the "majority" is there in spirit, but they will be bought for 500 baht, and Thaksin wins, well you have a very very very low opinion of the this "majority" if they can easily be swayed to vote for 500 baht, the vote buying is an excuse, a very poor excuse, because the bottom line is that you either have the majority who want reforms and the PTP out,and they will not be swayed by 500 baht regardless, or there never was a majority as it was never given the opportunity to cast their votes, and rid the Regime that way.

Not everyone is as blinkered as you appear to believe they are.

Now enough about that crap, who are you rooting for in the Champions League Final tonight? biggrin.png

What a fantastic post.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From the OP:

Thailand Travel Alert

I love to see posts that are straight out of the Robert Amsterdam/Thaksin/Red PR book. Well done Publicus. However, most of the decent and normal working class people I have spoken to would not agree with you and stand squarely behind the army. The ammart are a fiction, blown out of all proportion such as your boss' claim to be a democrat. Role on Thaksin: the ultimate Autocrat!

Given your ignorance, of Thai society, culture, politics, government, I'll enlighten you here and now, for which I'm sure you'd be grateful because now you can have some notional awareness of things you hadn't ever known about Thailand: I am most pleased to educate you in this matter from your non-base of zero knowledge. You believe anything you're told concerning Thailand, so why not believe myself or others over on this side.

The following descriptions are sourced from Michael H Nelson of the Southeast Asia Research Center of the City University of Hong Kong, who was also a Visiting Scholar on the Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University, in his work, The Electoral Rules Concerning The House of Representatives in the 2007 Thai Constitution. The URL is posted at the conclusion of the post.

*** The informal socio-political networks (categorized as ammart) of leading bureaucrats, technocrats, and academics involved in politics and administration, who claim to possess superior knowledge as well as morality and thus consider themselves to have special rights in guiding the country's social, political and economic directions (this group is Thailand's version of Plato's true navigators).

*** The military as a self-interested and closed organization that also poses as the self-appointed guardian of national unity and survival, protector of the monarchy, and final arbiter about who is allowed to govern the country.

*** The politicians with their vast informal and exclusionary networks at the provincial, regional, and national levels (including their factions and political parties), who claim that they represent the people, and that constitutionally produced electoral success provides them with the democratic legitimacy to govern the country and dominate the other groups and models in terms of policy making.

Not the ammart, but indeed a core essence of Thailand are :

*** The people themselves, who are the supposed sovereign of the democratic political system. Their involvement in politics as citizens,voters, party members, target group of policies, civil society groups, protestors, and social movements has had a rather mixed record, but it has recently been put into focus by a substantial increase in politicization.

Mr Nelson also includes a description of the Thai monarchy which I omit from this post, not because there is anything controversial about it - it is a straightforward factual account by Mr Nelson - but because I personally prefer to exclude the mention or description of the monarchy from the contentious tones of this particular thread and topic.

http://www.academia....ai_Constitution

you said myself and others on this side so you ok with corruption.sir....your blinded by your own ignorance..one sided..why dont you try and look at the bigger picture i am new to posting here but i am thai i know much much more than you..quoting others is narrow minded try and quote yourself..its called critical thinking which us thais cant do apparently

Whatever is needed to restore the country back to norm will never be accepted by the 1% of TVF because never a wrong done and everything is politically motivated they say.

This heading --topic-- is exactly what was said all along by our good thinking 99% of TVF. Go for it guys.

Maybe now you guys are beginning to realize the storm is brewing rather than having past and that the Thailand military have made matters infinitely worse, thus exceeding their massive cock up of a military mutiny coup d'état in 2006.

The 2006 coup was the single most divisive event in the history of Thailand, but that astounding blunder is in the process of being exceeded by this bunch in this time under present circumstances.

The night time curfew is on indefinitely - but you knew that, right? You knew what was coming, right? Tell me you knew. Please tell me you knew.

Douches.

This post is ridiculous.

Quote- "you guys" you mean the 99% of TVF posters ??

You think the military have made it quote "infinitely worse"

Biggest cock up years ago was the reds occupying BKK. but you do not see it that way up to you.

You have no idea the curfew is indefinitely-- why speak like that. ?? Sorry your PTP has been decimated--it must hurt you so much.

I look forward to drastic reforms as always and super clean elections for all citizens. Reforms needed---elections needed.

Try explaining that to all the Farangs and Thais who own bars and other hospitality establishments in the tourist areas all over Thailand, if the curfew goes on for an indefinate period, they will all lose their business's and their investments, instead of business's in Bangkok suffering through the protracted protests.

I'm 100% sure if it was your business that was closed down, through the protests, you wouldn't be so thrilled about the PDRC then, the idea was a noble one, but NOBODY expected the Regime to have remained in place for so long, many business's in Bangkok suffered as a result of these protests

Now many business's all over Thailand will be losing a LOT more due to the actions of the Coup, I can't quite see all these proprietors being "thrilled" about the coup, can you?

I think you will find many, if not most foreigners with tourism related businesses, support the coup. Many were already suffering due to the chaos that existed, and with no end in sight. The coup will likely increase the suffering, but at the same time provides hope that the suffering will end soon. A good trade off.

Sure, small businesses with no financial cushion may die, but I think the rest believe they will be better off in the long run.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

Well father in law and the guy who rents wifeys paddy have been waiting for their rice payments since October. Hopefully the Junta will be good for their word and pay the poor farmers within 20 days.

The problem I see is the country, does not have the money to pay them, if they "find" money then what else suffers.

This might, or might not be the case, because we really don't know whether Thailand has not sufficient money to pay the rice farmers.

Nevertheless, should the state be short of money but want to pay the rice farmers then they have to engage in Q.E. - (quantitative easing) in order to print new money to pay the farmers.

Depending on the amount of the Q.E. printing, the THB will then lose some value in FX., and farang's will be pleased because the value of USD, GBP, EUR, etc ... will increase, hence a better money exchange for them.

Edited by personchester