Several retired senior police officers summoned in move to curb influence

Lite Beer

Several retired senior police officers summoned in move to curb influence
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The list of people summoned by the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC) includes several retired senior police officers who are believed still to wield power and have the potential to recruit men and acquire weapons.

This move is seen as a precaution against possible efforts to mobilise armed resistance against the power seizure announced by the military on Thursday.

The first three names in the list are retired General Pallop Pinmanee and brothers General Trairong and General Thuanthong Intharathat, all of whom are known for their close ties with fugitive ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and apparent willingness to do his bidding.

The other retired officers in the list are Air Chief Marshal Sukampol Suwannathat, General Prin Suwannathat and Air Chief Marshal Sumeth Phomanee, who were all Thaksin's Class 10 mates of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School. These men are believed to have had control over the so-called red-allied "watermelon" officers and also allegedly have armed civilians under their command.

Pallop, a former commander of the influential Internal Security Operations Command, is known for switching his loyalties from Chamlong Srimuang to Thaksin after the former took a stand against the fugitive billionaire. Pallop also served as an adviser to Thaksin's younger sister Yingluck while she was serving as prime minister.

Also on the list is former deputy police chief police General Salang Bunnag, who reportedly advised Thaksin on most major issues despite not having armed men under his control. Another key person summoned is former captain Thammanas Promphao, who is said to be retired General Trairong's right hand and has close ties with red-shirt groups in Phayao province, where his wife hails from. A former murder suspect, Thammanas has been active in arranging red-shirt gatherings and providing security.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-24

• Like 2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This "summoning" to the NPOMC sounds a lot like the gestapo or the stasi. The ones who used to be in charge of state security.

Do you think these men sit in the park all day feeding the pigeons and talking about their grandchildren?

I doubt these men are enemies of the General in a hateful sense. As a studied general would, he is isolating those who intelligence shows are in a position to oppose his goals. First and foremost goal is to stop any thoughts and motions toward civil war. Many, many lives are saved by avoiding a fight.

A politicians primary job is negotiate. When you put people into a room and "suggest" they negotiate a solution and they flatly refuse, what choice is left? Clearly, they are not politicians, they are lackeys taking orders. These politicians do not represent their constituents. They represent only the boss.

I guess you haven't been here long enough.

• Like 1

Why don't these people just retire gracefully and prune their roses like other old men do ? Until all these old farts are removed from the political scene to be replaced by young men with fresh idea's, this country will never move forward in a constructive way.

Have to agree that the "old guard" should move on....they've bee in the game, changing parties when ever there appears to be a better side looming....but.....are there the young men with fresh ideas......there's surely plenty of fresh men out there.....but not too many suited for these roles.......and unfortunately, they will more than likely come from "families"!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why don't these people just retire gracefully and prune their roses like other old men do ? Until all these old farts are removed from the political scene to be replaced by young men with fresh idea's, this country will never move forward in a constructive way.

So you think the young and naive...will have better results...than the old and battle tested...?...me thinks...not...

• Like 1

This "summoning" to the NPOMC sounds a lot like the gestapo or the stasi. The ones who used to be in charge of state security.

Do you think these men sit in the park all day feeding the pigeons and talking about their grandchildren?

I doubt these men are enemies of the General in a hateful sense. As a studied general would, he is isolating those who intelligence shows are in a position to oppose his goals. First and foremost goal is to stop any thoughts and motions toward civil war. Many, many lives are saved by avoiding a fight.

A politicians primary job is negotiate. When you put people into a room and "suggest" they negotiate a solution and they flatly refuse, what choice is left? Clearly, they are not politicians, they are lackeys taking orders. These politicians do not represent their constituents. They represent only the boss.

I agree. The General's tactics are sound.

As a humorous aside, maybe the title should have been "Retired police officers are summoned to appear before retired generals...."

• Like 2

I guess you haven't been here long enough.

I would say he just learned lesson 1.

Röhm-Putsch ?

kind of, yes.

any way, good work general. keep rounding them up and detaining them. a dirty, corrupt house like that needs a lot of cleaning.

Thai people i speak with are very impressed with, and grateful to you for what you are doing and like your no non-sense approach. almost all say "where was he earlier?"

I feel the same.

The Fugitive will certainly be contacting people like these to create an armed response to the Army's take-over. While the brainless Reds who respond to his bidding will probably think they will succeed, most will end up dead. Women and children can't respond to their M79s and drive-by shootings, but soldiers can. The day will definitley come soon when efforts are made to have Thaksin handed over to the Thai Army.

• Like 1

Thak has so many he holds in his pocket its going to take months to weed them out. I just hope Prayuth is not only focusing on people but also looking at the financial books of these people and the governments spending

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

from what i read elsewhere, on Monday begins the job of looking into the financial affairs and checking the books of all the parties involved, from the very top all the way down.

That will become interesting, to say the least.

• Like 1

Thaksin responsible for every coup?

The very reason corruption exists is it's accepted like the prisons of Thailand..

And the other reason is that the army only seems to fight it's only people, ask the Japanese...

Well actually that was rewarded in the 'land from Malaysia' guess this was Thaksin again!

Maybe the blue diamonds and 4 Saudi officials was all his fault too....

Obviously the military had no idea or the police..

Though the alleged man -somkid (police chief in charge of rounding up red shirts)was actually promoted by Sudtep?

Somkid has a brother who too is an army general?

Somkid was finally cleared in April this year, it only took 25 years! The biggest trail through all this political shambles..

Oh I mean trial....

• Like 1