Media organisations urge junta to lift coup orders that restrict press freedom

Lite Beer

Media organisations urge junta to lift coup orders that restrict press freedom
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The four major media organisations Saturday issued an open letter to the military junta urging it to lift coup orders that restrict the press freedom and to have a new constitution enacted as soon as possible.

The four organisations are the Thai Journalists Association, the Press Council of Thailand, the Thai Broadcast Journalists, and the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand.

The open letter called on the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council to urgently review all orders that are involved with the journalist duty of the media.

The organisations suggested that the NPOMC should have the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission enforce existing laws to supervise news reports instead of using the restrictive orders to control the media.

The letter also called on the NPOMC to clearly declare that it would support and would not obstruct the journalist duty of all types of media because such a stand would create confidence among Thais and in the eyes of the international community.

The organisations said the NPOMC should urgently arrange for the new charter to be enacted and the new charter should have provisions that guarantee the press freedom.

The organisations also called on the media and journalists to give priority to national interests in their works and provide space for constructive comments for national reforms.

The media and journalist are also called on to have responsibility in their freedom of expression.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-24

• Like 1

Maybe add an extra 2 could be added to the list? CCB, sorry BBC and CNN.

Then again, who wants Jonathan D-Head reporting on behalf of Mr. 'the capital of the Netheregions'?

Edited by UbonRatch
  • Like 1

Pressfreedom is a great good. It can be suspended for a while, but should be restored soon. Same as lifting the curfew, I trust it will not last for weeks.

haha one of TV main champions of a coup now understands exactly what it stands for and wants out.

Is that the sound of the penny dropping?

• Like 1

As long as they are going to be turned down (duh) why not ask for true freedom of press and speech? Get rid of that bs defamation law etc? But information is power, and they want all the power they can grab. And it does corrupt absolutely.

I lost my respect for the Press when Rupert Murdoch bought the Wall Street Journal. America prides itself on freedom of the press. Murdoch had to become an American citizen in order to make the purchase. Consider who controls the Press. So much for freedom of the Press. Is Thailand any different?

• Like 1

The rebels who seized power from the people can try suppressing news and voices of the people but they cannot suppress the truth. The revolt is likely to begin from within the military. Sadly, many authoritative, dictatorial decisions to crack down and oppress the people will continue before this take place.

Edited by icommunity
  • Like 1

The problem with the Media here and USA, they do not just report what is happening, they take sides and slant the truth.

CNN use to be great, but now they have too many editorials and slant the truth.

In USA no Media has the fortitude to tell the person sitting in the White House he is an Idiot, actually he ssmart, just in the wrong way and he does not understand.

So, Thailand, Things could be worse.

"the new charter should have provisions that guarantee the press freedom."

Really, what a novel idea.

The 2007 Constitution, Part 7, Article 45 "Freedom of Expression of Individual and the Press states,

"A person shall enjoy the liberty to express his opinion, make speech, write, print, publicise, and make expression by other means.

The restriction on liberty under paragraph one shall not be imposed except by virtue of the law specifically enacted for the purpose of maintaining the security of State, protecting the rights, liberties, dignity, reputation, family or privacy rights of other person, maintaining public order or good morals or preventing or halting the deterioration of the mind or health of the public.

The closure of a newspaper or other mass media business in deprivation of the liberty under this section shall not be made.

The prevention of a newspaper or other mass media from printing news or expressing their opinions, wholly or partly, or interference in any manner whatsoever in deprivation of the liberty under this section shall not be made ......"

It would be easier to restore the Constitution instead of a wholesale suspension.

It is pure nonsense that somehow the mere declaration of "journalist" entitles the bearer to zero scrutiny. Scrutiny, by definition for press, is partisan; this upsidedonia inverted reasoning that press, the 4th estate, needs to remain aloof of all circumspection in order to properly present viewpoints that [you] may not entirely agree with is a vital requirement. Pure rubbish.

It's not rocket science to note when media is biased, for or against a point of view. When, over time, one notes consistent bias, it's outrageous that somehow mentioning the bias is itself evidence of prejudice; the Field of Journalism establishes and maintains for themselves an esteemed status as an adjunct of government, for which there's no evidence suggesting they've earned. The reason the press have been sacked locally is because "time is of essence" and the junta knows this. They must move quick and delay condemnation until they can enact as many far reaching changes as possible. It's known what the press will do/say if allowed; not because they are moral paragons of virtue but because their self interest is so entirely predictable and self serving locally. I would silence them too. Moreover, I would restrain them until they could establish even a modicum of impartiality- overall. Since it's highly inappropriate to monitor/restrain and measure press impartiality, then let's not do that- wouldn't work. Instead, let's reign in their precious entitlement credentials. Surely, this special status is not applied daily... Hourly... Constantly...

Certainly with regards to international press, there is no evidence they are anything more than tools of political parties, ideologies, or cause du jour. By omission and commission, under the guise of "the facts," they peddle their own agendas but are permitted to do so with your most intimate authorization- "Press Credentials." When the implicit arrangement with the press and the governed was made it envisioned impartial, non-partisan news.

• Like 1

Wish various Radio and TV Networks would learn the correct Pronunciation of the word, "JUNTA."

It is a Spanish word and it is pronounced as, "HUNTA." i.e. "the Military HUNTA has assumed control."

As long as they are going to be turned down (duh) why not ask for true freedom of press and speech? Get rid of that bs defamation law etc? But information is power, and they want all the power they can grab. And it does corrupt absolutely.

I think knowledge is power. Information is often slanted, biased and self serving. Thai media and press are not above being biased and misleading.

Wish various Radio and TV Networks would learn the correct Pronunciation of the word, "JUNTA."

It is a Spanish word and it is pronounced as, "HUNTA." i.e. "the Military HUNTA has assumed control."

Hmmm . . . I bet everyone that reads this post thinks the same thing wink.png

If the journalists don't conduct themselves in a better manner, I would be inclined to crackdown on press reporting for 7 days.

As has been the norm for the last 25 years, journalists are only interested in sensationalising - and even fabricating situations.

It is pure nonsense that somehow the mere declaration of "journalist" entitles the bearer to zero scrutiny. Scrutiny, by definition for press, is partisan; this upsidedonia inverted reasoning that press, the 4th estate, needs to remain aloof of all circumspection in order to properly present viewpoints that [you] may not entirely agree with is a vital requirement. Pure rubbish.

It's not rocket science to note when media is biased, for or against a point of view. When, over time, one notes consistent bias, it's outrageous that somehow mentioning the bias is itself evidence of prejudice; the Field of Journalism establishes and maintains for themselves an esteemed status as an adjunct of government, for which there's no evidence suggesting they've earned. The reason the press have been sacked locally is because "time is of essence" and the junta knows this. They must move quick and delay condemnation until they can enact as many far reaching changes as possible. It's known what the press will do/say if allowed; not because they are moral paragons of virtue but because their self interest is so entirely predictable and self serving locally. I would silence them too. Moreover, I would restrain them until they could establish even a modicum of impartiality- overall. Since it's highly inappropriate to monitor/restrain and measure press impartiality, then let's not do that- wouldn't work. Instead, let's reign in their precious entitlement credentials. Surely, this special status is not applied daily... Hourly... Constantly...

Certainly with regards to international press, there is no evidence they are anything more than tools of political parties, ideologies, or cause du jour. By omission and commission, under the guise of "the facts," they peddle their own agendas but are permitted to do so with your most intimate authorization- "Press Credentials." When the implicit arrangement with the press and the governed was made it envisioned impartial, non-partisan news.

Is it me or does anyone else not have a blo*dy clue what this post is all about? Alright, I can get the jist of some of it but the key message hardly leaps out at me and seriously what is "upsideonia"?

Might be an idea to make your point without exercising your voacb muscles so the poor folk like me can really get to grips with what you are trying to say. Somewhere in there I would like to think there is a really good point, I'm sure there is, just wish it was clearer.

I'm surprised the Junta hasn't yet pulled the plug on the internet and GSM networks yet.

business has to continue working, you pull the plug on that an the Junta has even greater problems to restore the situation in the country.

Second even the junta wants to chat on social media, unhappy soldiers is not a good thing. Pull the plug might be today the thing that will make you the most unpopular . See what happened in turkey some month ago.

I called today TRUE MOVE, I was told, they do not know when they re allowed to send again! blink.png

The crazy thing is that when my local cable service in Udon Thani resumed the BBC, Australia TV, Channel News Asia etc. were all immediately available.

I wonder if cable networks elsewhere were the same or still blocked ?

TRUE brought back everything except BBC and CNN.

• Like 1

I tend to just read news these days on the internet but I know some used to say it properly. In not sure but I think Robert Amsterdam uses the correct pronunciation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

NongKhaiKid

Platinum Member

Posted Today, 05:36

ALFREDO, on 24 May 2014 - 16:00, said:snapback.png

I called today TRUE MOVE, I was told, they do not know when they re allowed to send again! blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png

The crazy thing is that when my local cable service in Udon Thani resumed the BBC, Australia TV, Channel News Asia etc. were all immediately available.

TV5MONDE (channel 124 TRUE VISIONS SAT) is still blocked as I write. Will be "made available soon" they say...

How do you pronounce Paris - Paris or Paree?

And do you say Me-hi-co for Mexico?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I called today TRUE MOVE, I was told, they do not know when they re allowed to send again! alt=blink.png>

BBC and other news channels are also available on Sophon Cable in Pattaya. Last night, there were more channels blocked on True Visions than just the BBC and CNN.

Alan

The problem with the Media here and USA, they do not just report what is happening, they take sides and slant the truth.

CNN use to be great, but now they have too many editorials and slant the truth.

In USA no Media has the fortitude to tell the person sitting in the White House he is an Idiot, actually he ssmart, just in the wrong way and he does not understand.

So, Thailand, Things could be worse.

All very true. Take FOX NEWS for example.Their "fair and balanced news" has devolved to nothing more than a variety show. Not anything in the way of unbiased news.

I enjoy watching Aljazeera. However, even their coverage of the Thai situation is tainted by the bias of their reporters in Thailand. So, what news agency can be trusted to report the facts, without putting their own slant on it?

I called today TRUE MOVE, I was told, they do not know when they re allowed to send again! blink.png

Yes, yesterday late afternoon, Satellite connection was on again, but NO International New channels! nono.gif

Close to home here ...

In a separate summons, the outspoken columnist Pravit Rojanaphruk, who writes for English-language paper the Nation, was asked to meet independently with the junta and said on Sunday morning he was en route to army headquarters. "On my way to see the new dictator of Thailand. Hopefully the last," he tweeted. He did not appear to have been released by Sunday evening.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/25/thailand-coup-king-adulyadej-junta-senate