A Complete Tourist Visa Episode: BKK-NONGKHAI-VIENTIANE-NONGKHAI

Wow, BKK45, great response. And thanks for all your help in these threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most obliged, sir! It's nothing much really :) just paying it forward.

I have Ubonjoe to thank for calming my jittery nerves and to a few other members who provided ways and solutions during my run. I thank them all!

I simply ignored whatever the armchair pundits and lab rats sitting on their high-moral-horses have said for it does absolutely nothing.

For they remain nothing and will never be, till they learn to give without prejudice.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tourists are allowed to change their travel plans. So canceling hotel reservation is ok. In theory one should inform police, immigration or some other government office about the new address but that I have not heard is requested here in Thailand?.

Latest after 90 days people have to report anyway. And if extending 60 days visa tourist will report 60 days after coming into country.

Changing hotel reservation to another hotel is ok. Hotels report their guests.

Thank you, that's a gem of an information I will keep note of. A new lesson learnt. :)

There's a fly in the ointment with respect to this idea of making hotel reservations (to show to thai immigration), and then cancelling them. Under the crackdown as announced, you'd show immigration your hotel reservations and be allowed in, yes, but immigration supposedly checks on you later and if you're not checked-in at that hotel you get flagged, and awarded an OI stamp (or somesuch) on your next exit from Thailand. Then you have a problem the next time you try & enter.

Do I know the details - No.

Where did I see this - One of the many & overlengthy threads on this subject here on TV.

When does this start - In August if memory serves.

Will/can Thai Immigration actually DO this? - Your guess is as good as mine.

Does this apply to t-visa holders as well as visa-exempt entries - I don't think so, but then again there's always the question of immigration officer "discretion", which trumps everything...

Am I talking about what's on the Arrival Card, or a seperate hotel resevation document, or written travel itinerary or what - ask again around September or so...

I highly doubt immigration would have the capability or resources to carry out such work. Thailand isn't a police state (yet) so I can't see them doing such checks when actual police states like China don't even bother. It would be an enormous workload and a lot of travelers arrive in Thailand not knowing where they will stay before arrival. It's also possible to put down one address but actually stay at another. This is not a problem at all.

I think you're just scaremongering. Immigration wouldn't write down or record the details of where you are supposedly staying (which in any case, you are only required to document on your arrival card for the first night's stay) so how would they know where you are on subsequent nights? A large number of hotels etc. don't register their guests with immigration and most of the smaller ones don't require any ID at check-in at all (which I like as I hate all the formality with showing ID and all that). Then there are also people who travel overnight by car, bus, train etc. who wouldn't be registered at all. Also, how would they know/expect what time you would arrive at your accommodation?

Basically, if you have sufficient funds then all is well. You could also show some proof of hotel reservations etc. if asked, but I think it's just given a cursory glance and you are waved on. Never heard it being any different.

And even if it were, you could always do what some Vietnamese travelers did recently when asked to show money at Aranyaprathet, and photographed at immigration using their webcams: Complain to a local newspaper back home, who then relays the information to the Foreign Ministry (or equivalent) who in turn informs the local Thai Embassy/Consulate who are then pressured to stop such practices. Seemed to work in the Vietnamese case within days (they are still questioned for sufficient funds, but there's no need for it to be all in cash and their pictures are no longer taken with the money in hand, which the travelers in question likened to "made to feel like criminals").

Do a search and go to the Toui Tre website (or whatever it's called...they have covered the story and followed up in great detail).

• Like 1

I was thought you book everything before you apply for a visa. If you havent book any of these maybe the immigration finds it or ask for flights and hotels. Is this the additional requirements for getting a tourist visa right?

it depends on the embassy or consulate that you apply to.

Japan embassy tourist visa requirement

5. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with applicants name, flight number as well as date of entry and departure.

9. Detail of itinerary or explanation of purpose of visit to Thailand.

There's a fly in the ointment with respect to this idea of making hotel reservations (to show to thai immigration), and then cancelling them. Under the crackdown as announced, you'd show immigration your hotel reservations and be allowed in, yes, but immigration supposedly checks on you later and if you're not checked-in at that hotel you get flagged, and awarded an OI stamp (or somesuch) on your next exit from Thailand. Then you have a problem the next time you try & enter.

Where did I see this - One of the many & overlengthy threads on this subject here on TV.

Does this apply to t-visa holders as well as visa-exempt entries - I don't think so, but then again there's always the question of immigration officer "discretion", which trumps everything...

Am I talking about what's on the Arrival Card, or a seperate hotel resevation document, or written travel itinerary or what - ask again around September or so...

I highly doubt immigration would have the capability or resources to carry out such work. Thailand isn't a police state (yet) so I can't see them doing such checks when actual police states like China don't even bother. It would be an enormous workload and a lot of travelers arrive in Thailand not knowing where they will stay before arrival. It's also possible to put down one address but actually stay at another. This is not a problem at all.

I think you're just scaremongering. Immigration wouldn't write down or record the details of where you are supposedly staying (which in any case, you are only required to document on your arrival card for the first night's stay) so how would they know where you are on subsequent nights? A large number of hotels etc. don't register their guests with immigration and most of the smaller ones don't require any ID at check-in at all (which I like as I hate all the formality with showing ID and all that). Then there are also people who travel overnight by car, bus, train etc. who wouldn't be registered at all. Also, how would they know/expect what time you would arrive at your accommodation?

Basically, if you have sufficient funds then all is well. You could also show some proof of hotel reservations etc. if asked, but I think it's just given a cursory glance and you are waved on. Never heard it being any different.

And even if it were, you could always do what some Vietnamese travelers did recently when asked to show money at Aranyaprathet, and photographed at immigration using their webcams: Complain to a local newspaper back home, who then relays the information to the Foreign Ministry (or equivalent) who in turn informs the local Thai Embassy/Consulate who are then pressured to stop such practices. Seemed to work in the Vietnamese case within days (they are still questioned for sufficient funds, but there's no need for it to be all in cash and their pictures are no longer taken with the money in hand, which the travelers in question likened to "made to feel like criminals").

Do a search and go to the Toui Tre website (or whatever it's called...they have covered the story and followed up in great detail).

Just a second Tom, did you just compare Immigration procedure/rules between Thailand vs China?

For China visa, up to a year ago (and I doubt things have changed since then) you had to produce a flight ticket round trip and, in most cases, the hotel booking (and in SOME cases, the hotel booking for the entire period, ie. 90 day visa, 90 day itinerary with the hotel reservations covering the 90 days).

Also, ALL hotels in China require your passport to check in, they will photocopy the photo page, the visa page and the stamp in page. They report it to the PSB (Public Security Bureau, basically the police station) within 24 hours. If you stay at a friend's or somewhere else, you have to go to the local PSB yourself and register with your passport and your lease, within 24 hours.

If you forget to do it, don't worry, they will remind you! A management office rep at the building you're staying at will come and knock on your door. Or they may send a nice smiling police woman to knock on your door. It's all polite and smiles, but make no mistake, in China they want to know exactly where all the foreigners are.

The one good thing about China is that you can get a one year, multiple entry, 90 day duration of stay, tourist visa, if applying from your home country.

I was thought you book everything before you apply for a visa. If you havent book any of these maybe the immigration finds it or ask for flights and hotels. Is this the additional requirements for getting a tourist visa right?

it depends on the embassy or consulate that you apply to.

Japan embassy tourist visa requirement

5. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with applicants name, flight number as well as date of entry and departure.

9. Detail of itinerary or explanation of purpose of visit to Thailand.

Yes, different consulates/embassies have different requirements. However, what's with people scaremongering about hotel bookings. While China generally asks for hotel bookings or an invitation letter to obtain a tourist visa (or sometimes for a business visa) Thailand generally doesn't care about such things. Even when they ask, they are certainly not going to make a big deal about them. You make a booking, show them that (whether it's an actual booking, an email confirmation or just a written up itinerary), they'll be satisfied. Thai officials are usually quite nice and even nicer if you can speak Thai. Just see what they want, answer their questions and you won't have any problems.

Just a second Tom, did you just compare Immigration procedure/rules between Thailand vs China?

For China visa, up to a year ago (and I doubt things have changed since then) you had to produce a flight ticket round trip and, in most cases, the hotel booking (and in SOME cases, the hotel booking for the entire period, ie. 90 day visa, 90 day itinerary with the hotel reservations covering the 90 days).

Also, ALL hotels in China require your passport to check in, they will photocopy the photo page, the visa page and the stamp in page. They report it to the PSB (Public Security Bureau, basically the police station) within 24 hours. If you stay at a friend's or somewhere else, you have to go to the local PSB yourself and register with your passport and your lease, within 24 hours.

If you forget to do it, don't worry, they will remind you! A management office rep at the building you're staying at will come and knock on your door. Or they may send a nice smiling police woman to knock on your door. It's all polite and smiles, but make no mistake, in China they want to know exactly where all the foreigners are.

The one good thing about China is that you can get a one year, multiple entry, 90 day duration of stay, tourist visa, if applying from your home country.

I have heard about that, but if you know someone in China you produce an invitation letter. I have obtained visas for China, including just yesterday with just an invitation letter. Foreigners that get angry with consular officials, think they know the rules better, don't apply for the correct visa, don't know anyone in China etc. have problems obtaining visas. I have never had any problems. Flight tickets are not necessarily needed, it depends on your circumstances.

Not all hotels in China ask for your passport - only the ones that are registered for foreigners, located in big cities and could be bothered going down to the PSB to get you registered. Probably if all you've ever visited was Shanghai etc. then yes, your experience would be as you say, but in smaller cities and provinces with fewer foreigners they are less strict.

If you don't register your presence if you are staying at private accommodation most likely there won't be any problems and no one will know (especially as a tourist or short term business visitor). However, at some point you may need to get registered if only to extend a visa etc. and if you have never registered you might receive a grilling although you could always explain that you were living/traveling elsewhere in the country. This is more of a concern to residents on working/study visas etc. No idea about permanent residents, but likely it's the same for them (as it is for Chinese citizens who also need to be registered in the same way).

You might be able to get a longer term Chinese visa or at least double entries if applying in Thailand, under certain circumstances too - mainly for business purposes though with the right paperwork. Indeed applying in your home country you can get 60-90 days, depending on your nationality.

Just a second,

If you stay at a friend's or somewhere else, you have to <snip> and register <snip>within 24 hours.

The same as here in Thailand, only the person that the abode belongs to MUST register them, same as all hotels etc.. have to.

Nothing new about that in Thailand, just do it for peace of mind.

Did that btw and will do it each and very time for non Thais that stay with us.whistling.gif

Peace and happiness to you all. wai.gif

Win facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Just a second,

If you stay at a friend's or somewhere else, you have to <snip> and register <snip>within 24 hours.

The same as here in Thailand, only the person that the abode belongs to MUST register them, same as all hotels etc.. have to.

Nothing new about that in Thailand, just do it for peace of mind.

Did that btw and will do it each and very time for non Thais that stay with us.whistling.gif

Peace and happiness to you all. wai.gif

Win facepalm.gif

Yes but most Thais are probably not aware of this rule, nor are most tourists as immigration landing cards no longer mention this when you arrive (unlike in the past on the old cards) or in China where arrival cards also mention it. Still, a traveler in Thailand is unlikely ever to have any problems whether they are registered or not, by either a hotel or their girlfriends/friends etc. Registration is important in the event of 90-day reporting for long term residents on visa extensions, but tourists can get away with not getting registered at all (except where the hotel makes the registration).

BKK post #29 I gave you a thumps up for a incredibly informational post earlier.. But I don't see the harm in having a base camp ie apartment lease while your touring Thailand and surrounding countries if you should so choose. I also agreed with your reason for the hotel/flight out for the current boarder crisis so to speak. I pay peanuts for my Apt. per month..I to am 4 years away from retirement and looking for options on where to retire if I choose to in Thailand although I come on triple entries from the USA as compared to your, I think you said multiple back to back 30 day stamps .It just makes sense to me to be able to travel lite IMOP

Edited by riclag

BKK post #29 I gave you a thumps up for a incredibly informational post earlier.. But I don't see the harm in having a base camp ie apartment lease while your touring Thailand and surrounding countries if you should so choose. I also agreed with your reason for the hotel/flight out for the current boarder crisis so to speak. I pay peanuts for my Apt. per month..I to am 4 years away from retirement and looking for options on where to retire if I choose to in Thailand although I come on triple entries from the USA as compared to your, I think you said multiple back to back 30 day stamps .It just makes sense to me to be able to travel lite IMOP

Before the visa crackdown I had always entered the address of my place of lease on the arrival card and was never once questioned. Even had the lease and it's copy with me during the first few runs, just in case.

Since it was never asked for as proof of address, I just took for granted that it never would and stop carrying it with me during my runs.

In fact, I too, do not see any harm as having my townhouse as my base. I had spent the months of November 2013 to March 2014 travelling to Vietnam, China and India and had flown in and out of BKK a few times during that period.

Somehow with the visa crackdown I felt that by having a permanent address with a 2 yr lease does not make me sound like a tourist and would render suspicions as to what am I doing in Thailand.

Hence, the panic and the worries as I just didn't know what to expect. Though I remembered one of the articles on the crackdown that mentioned the South Koreans, Russians, Vietnamese and Laotians are the target of these crackdowns.

As the saying goes, 'desperate times needs desperate measures'.

Btw, I'm only allowed a single entry TV and 14 days extension if I entered under 30 days visa exemption. That explains double the in/out stamps compared to anyone from a G7 country.

• Like 1

Before the visa crackdown I had always entered the address of my place of lease on the arrival card and was never once questioned. Even had the lease and it's copy with me during the first few runs, just in case.

Since it was never asked for as proof of address, I just took for granted that it never would and stop carrying it with me during my runs.

In fact, I too, do not see any harm as having my townhouse as my base. I had spent the months of November 2013 to March 2014 travelling to Vietnam, China and India and had flown in and out of BKK a few times during that period.

Somehow with the visa crackdown I felt that by having a permanent address with a 2 yr lease does not make me sound like a tourist and would render suspicions as to what am I doing in Thailand.

Hence, the panic and the worries as I just didn't know what to expect. Though I remembered one of the articles on the crackdown that mentioned the South Koreans, Russians, Vietnamese and Laotians are the target of these crackdowns.

Btw, I'm only allowed a single entry TV and 14 days extension if I entered under 30 days visa exemption. That explains double the in/out stamps compared to anyone from a G7 country.

Sorry your last sentence is a bit confusing. I didn't bother to re-read your OP, but I believe you're Singaporean (correct me if I'm wrong)? Anyway, why are you only allowed a single entry TV, is that all that Singaporeans are allowed? And as for extensions on a TV, I thought 30 days were allowed and only for a select few nationals, it's 7 days (such as Sri Lankans, West Africans, Chinese etc.) but for everyone else including Singaporeans it's 30 days (never heard of 14 days).

I still don't see any problems with having a lease. Bring that along with proof of funds, outbound travel when you either travel or apply for a new visa. All that matters is the money and that it isn't being sourced from within Thailand, not what kind of accommodation you are staying at. Thailand isn't Myanmar, where tourists and business travellers are only allowed to stay in hotels i.e. the type of visa determines the accommodation you are allowed to stay in. So you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

Sorry your last sentence is a bit confusing. I didn't bother to re-read your OP, but I believe you're Singaporean (correct me if I'm wrong)? Anyway, why are you only allowed a single entry TV, is that all that Singaporeans are allowed? And as for extensions on a TV, I thought 30 days were allowed and only for a select few nationals, it's 7 days (such as Sri Lankans, West Africans, Chinese etc.) but for everyone else including Singaporeans it's 30 days (never heard of 14 days).

I still don't see any problems with having a lease. Bring that along with proof of funds, outbound travel when you either travel or apply for a new visa. All that matters is the money and that it isn't being sourced from within Thailand, not what kind of accommodation you are staying at. Thailand isn't Myanmar, where tourists and business travellers are only allowed to stay in hotels i.e. the type of visa determines the accommodation you are allowed to stay in. So you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, I am indeed holding a Singapore passport. Singaporeans are only allowed Single entry TV (free) with 30 days extension at the end of 60 days (total 90 days).

Alternatively, we are also given 30 days visa exemption with unlimited border run extension of 14 days each time.

I had 11 border run extensions prior to my last entry when I was warned and advised during my 4th run at Aranyaphratet to apply for a TV. This was 4 days before the first announcement of a crackdown.

I will heed your advice and use my lease in the future.

I am considering the Elite 5 year visa which amounts to 8333 baht a month. Do you have any input for this option?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Yes, I am indeed holding a Singapore passport. Singaporeans are only allowed Single entry TV (free) with 30 days extension at the end of 60 days (total 90 days).

Alternatively, we are also given 30 days visa exemption with unlimited border run extension of 14 days each time.

I had 11 border run extensions prior to my last entry when I was warned and advised during my 4th run at Aranyaphratet to apply for a TV. This was 4 days before the first announcement of a crackdown.

I am considering the Elite 5 year visa which amounts to 8333 baht a month. Do you have any input for this option?

Thank you.

Also I would emphasise your available funds if you are ever questioned at the border. That is, show them these funds in the form of cash, credit and debit cards, traveller's cheques (if you have any) and possibly a bank statement from your home bank or a Thai bank showing money that is coming in from abroad or appears to have been withdrawn from an overseas account and deposited into the Thai account. No one will likely care about your lease, but having it with you is not a bad idea because it shows you have a place to stay and can thus support yourself without working. As in any situation, never volunteer anything you weren't asked for UNLESS you are put in the unlikely compromising situation where immigration starts glancing over your passport and it looks like they suspect you are working illegally or something, but I would presume they'll ask you for proof of funds, where you are going etc. first. If you can answer the officer's questions/show proof to their satisfaction, I don't see any problems at all.

The same procedure occurs when suspicious foreigners arriving into Australia are questioned. First, availability of funds is asked for, then proof of source of funds (if necessary) and perhaps accommodation proof, in case the amount of funds for the proposed stay would seem a bit tight if it weren't for the pre-booked or pre-arranged accommodation. For example, if someone had access to $1200 for a proposed stay of 6 weeks, that would seem a bit tight, but if there is a pre-existing arrangement for that traveller to stay with friends, live in someone's apartment or house while they are abroad or if they have pre-booked all their accommodation then that amount might actually last a while, especially if not too much travelling is involved. On the other hand, someone with access to $3000 and planning on staying 6 weeks might not need to prove accommodation has been arranged simply because that amount could see them through their 6 week stay just by staying at hotels/hostels/guesthouses B&Bs.

I wouldn't take it for granted that 14 day (technically 15 day) border runs will continue to be unlimited for Singaporeans as they have been in the past. They may be unlimited in the sense that as long as you have a solid itinerary, appear to be travelling in the region for a while and haven't been living in Thailand for months or years on back-to-back stamps, then you should be OK. Similarly, if you repeated such travel every 6-12 months after an absence of a few months.

If you have the funds for the Thailand Elite Card then go for it. One less thing to worry about and you might actually save some money by not having to do continuous border or visa runs. You might want to just take a wait and see approach to make sure the scheme isn't cancelled or changed in light of the current military takeover. There haven't been any changes announced, but things have a habit of changing at the last minute here. Best would be to ask a Thailand Elite specific question in a separate thread to see if other members know more than I do.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Also I would emphasise your available funds if you are ever questioned at the border. That is, show them these funds in the form of cash, credit and debit cards, traveller's cheques (if you have any) and possibly a bank statement from your home bank or a Thai bank showing money that is coming in from abroad or appears to have been withdrawn from an overseas account and deposited into the Thai account. No one will likely care about your lease, but having it with you is not a bad idea because it shows you have a place to stay and can thus support yourself without working. As in any situation, never volunteer anything you weren't asked for UNLESS you are put in the unlikely compromising situation where immigration starts glancing over your passport and it looks like they suspect you are working illegally or something, but I would presume they'll ask you for proof of funds, where you are going etc. first. If you can answer the officer's questions/show proof to their satisfaction, I don't see any problems at all.

The same procedure occurs when suspicious foreigners arriving into Australia are questioned. First, availability of funds is asked for, then proof of source of funds (if necessary) and perhaps accommodation proof, in case the amount of funds for the proposed stay would seem a bit tight if it weren't for the pre-booked or pre-arranged accommodation. For example, if someone had access to $1200 for a proposed stay of 6 weeks, that would seem a bit tight, but if there is a pre-existing arrangement for that traveller to stay with friends, live in someone's apartment or house while they are abroad or if they have pre-booked all their accommodation then that amount might actually last a while, especially if not too much travelling is involved. On the other hand, someone with access to $3000 and planning on staying 6 weeks might not need to prove accommodation has been arranged simply because that amount could see them through their 6 week stay just by staying at hotels/hostels/guesthouses B&Bs.

I wouldn't take it for granted that 14 day (technically 15 day) border runs will continue to be unlimited for Singaporeans as they have been in the past. They may be unlimited in the sense that as long as you have a solid itinerary, appear to be travelling in the region for a while and haven't been living in Thailand for months or years on back-to-back stamps, then you should be OK. Similarly, if you repeated such travel every 6-12 months after an absence of a few months.

If you have the funds for the Thailand Elite Card then go for it. One less thing to worry about and you might actually save some money by not having to do continuous border or visa runs. You might want to just take a wait and see approach to make sure the scheme isn't cancelled or changed in light of the current military takeover. There haven't been any changes announced, but things have a habit of changing at the last minute here. Best would be to ask a Thailand Elite specific question in a separate thread to see if other members know more than I do.

I duly appreciate your time and input, thank you.

Yes, I do have proofs of funds deposited overseas into my Singapore UOB account monthly. This is the main account I am using to withdraw money here. All my credit cards are issued in Singapore, too. Have yet to open a local bank account, though.

Indeed, I will check with Thailand Elite if there would be changes to the visa issued in the near foreseeable future, and how if it does change, would it affect me?

Thank you, again! smile.png

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quotes

Re: Thailand Elite. ?

8333 baht a month? Is that for a year? I get American disability money for a neck problem.

I can collect for six months overseas..I have some land to sell, on my cold Hawaiian Mountain.

Then I would be able to stay possibly, as Im over sixty and play music to make retirement mo' better!

lol

Aloha

Re: Thailand Elite. ?

8333 baht a month? Is that for a year? I get American disability money for a neck problem.

I can collect for six months overseas..I have some land to sell, on my cold Hawaiian Mountain.

Then I would be able to stay possibly, as Im over sixty and play music to make retirement mo' better!

lol

Aloha

The 5 year 500k baht Elite Visa (8333.33 pm), yes sir! :)

So let me get this straight???

The OP is telling us how to enter Thailand with a Tourist visa....

Even though he surely is not a tourist...Correct?? Hmmm...

Same I do every 5 weeks with my 30 day entry stamps..

Edited by glassdude007

Thank you.

I duly appreciate your time and input, thank you.

Yes, I do have proofs of funds deposited overseas into my Singapore UOB account monthly. This is the main account I am using to withdraw money here. All my credit cards are issued in Singapore, too. Have yet to open a local bank account, though.

Indeed, I will check with Thailand Elite if there would be changes to the visa issued in the near foreseeable future, and how if it does change, would it affect me?

Thank you, again! smile.png

Interesting reading recent press release on Thailand Elite site. expecting 1300 new members within one year from relaunch of the elite card this month. B100,000 agent sales commission per contract. Reeling in the big fish, the fix is is in!

Edited by arunsakda

So just to make this clear. The crackdown is not about Visa Exemption stamp anymore. According to OP's post they are not letting people with Tourist Visas in the country if they don't have flight back home/ hotel bookings and such.

Officially some of the rules were supposed to be enforced starting from August 12? But I guess the immigration got excited and went with it..

So just to make this clear. The crackdown is not about Visa Exemption stamp anymore. According to OP's post they are not letting people with Tourist Visas in the country if they don't have flight back home/ hotel bookings and such.

Officially some of the rules were supposed to be enforced starting from August 12? But I guess the immigration got excited and went with it..

So what???

Every tourist visa that I have applied for the last 10-15 years. I had to show a return ticket to get the visa. The embassy or consulate don't even look at it if you have that.

And my friend came here on Thursday last week with a tourist visa. And he didn't have to show any return ticket or hotel booking. Just went through immigration.......so I don't even understand why he did all those things???

Edited by bangkoklasse

So what???

Every tourist visa that I have applied for the last 10-15 years. I had to show a return ticket to get the visa. The embassy or consulate don't even look at it if you have that.

And my friend came here on Thursday last week with a tourist visa. And he didn't have to show any return ticket or hotel booking. Just went through immigration.......so I don't even understand why he did all those things???

The operative word is 'CRACKDOWN'! Thus, the people denied entry even with TV issued were those who already has a history of many border runs stamped in their passport, unless proofs such as flight itinerary, hotel bookings and 20000 baht in cash. Many were unable to show these proofs.

I am one who already had many border runs stamped in my passport and would be right in the cross hair's of the crackdown target.

That's my raison d'etre!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for all the information, this site is a real life saver to people in my situation!

Another case study if you have time, could benefit others in a similar situation.

Last time I did a border hop and to get another 30 days exempt, I really had to negotiate and they only just gave it to me, they were going to give me just 7 days, am surethey will if i try again; I know – CRACKDOWN!!

I am planning on leaving Thailand by the end of this year (partly because of the visa situation smile.png) so if I could get a double entry tourist visa from Vientaine, that will last me (with the 1 month extensions.)

The question is… will they give it to me? And let me use it? My passport is an ugly mess of tourist visas and in/out stamps.

I will take travel itinerary and hotel bookings as suggested, and will be able to show 50,000 B cash.

If you experts could give me your opinion I would be very grateful. I teach English on the internet, no visa available for this.

Passport details:

UK citizen

5 x Tourist visas

8 x 30 days exempt

Apr 2012: single tourist (kuala lumpur)

Jul 2012: single tourist

Oct 2012: flew china/usa/mexico

Nov 2012: single tourist (kuala lumpur)

Feb 2013: double tourist (Vientiane) – expired before 2nd entry!

Jun 2013: single tourist (vientaine)

Sep 2013: 14 days exempt (ranong)

Sep 2013: flew Cyprus

Oct 2013: 30 days exempt (suvarnabhumi)

Nov 2013 – jan 2014: 30 days exempt (x3) (ban phu nam ron; kanchanaburi)

Feb 2014: 30 days exempt (don muang) [laos/Thailand/Vietnam/thailand trip]

Mar 2014: flew cyprus

Apr 2014: 30 days exempt (suvarnabhumi)

May 2014 - jun 2014: 30 days exempt (x2) (ban phu nam ron; kanchanaburi)

Edited by pak nam tom

THUS your trip was a success, very good report

It always amazes me at the Thai embassy how so many people show up and or are not aware of what is going on in the world, let alone Thailand.

I dropped of my passport yesterday in Vientiane and saw so many people jusr show up with their passport and try to hand it in with no photos are copies and ask for a tourist visa, guess these are all the quality tourists PT brought in

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi guys, thanks for all the information, this site is a real life saver to people in my situation!

Another case study if you have time, could benefit others in a similar situation.

Last time I did a border hop and to get another 30 days exempt, I really had to negotiate and they only just gave it to me, they were going to give me just 7 days, am surethey will if i try again; I know – CRACKDOWN!!

I am planning on leaving Thailand by the end of this year (partly because of the visa situation smile.png) so if I could get a double entry tourist visa from Vientaine, that will last me (with the 1 month extensions.)

The question is… will they give it to me? And let me use it? My passport is an ugly mess of tourist visas and in/out stamps.

I will take travel itinerary and hotel bookings as suggested, and will be able to show 50,000 B cash.

If you experts could give me your opinion I would be very grateful. I teach English on the internet, no visa available for this.

Passport details:

UK citizen

5 x Tourist visas

8 x 30 days exempt

Are you saying that at Ban Phu Nam Ron the officials were reluctant to give you the full 30 days? That must be the first report I've read on that. So far I've always read that Ban Phu Nam Ron still gives in-outers the chance to renew their Thai stays almost indefinitely.

Passport details:

UK citizen

5 x Tourist visas

8 x 30 days exempt

Are you saying that at Ban Phu Nam Ron the officials were reluctant to give you the full 30 days? That must be the first report I've read on that. So far I've always read that Ban Phu Nam Ron still gives in-outers the chance to renew their Thai stays almost indefinitely.

yeah im afraid so, apparently the day before i went everyone got 7 days. my recent flight out is what clinched it. that loophole didnt stay open for long

Edited by pak nam tom