US suspends one-third of military aid

Lite Beer

US suspends one-third of military aid

Washington:-- The United States has suspended one-third of its aid to ally Thailand after a coup and cautioned tourists as international calls mounted for a return to civilian rule.

Moving swiftly a day after the military seized power, Washington said yesterday it froze $3.5 million in military assistance out of around $10.5 million in total aid to America's oldest treaty-bound ally in Asia.

The United States contacted junta leaders and urged "the immediate restoration of civilian rule, a return to democracy and, obviously, respect for human rights during this period of uncertainty", State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters.

Washington had warned the Thai military, long a central player in the kingdom, to stay on the sidelines despite years of political upheaval. Secretary of State John Kerry voiced disappointment on Thursday and said the coup had "no justification".

The United States toughened its travel advice, joining Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore in urging its tourists to reconsider travel. The State Department said US government officials had suspended non-essential visits to Thailand until further notice.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-25

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 mill out of 10.5 will not hurt the Army. Its hard to believe the US condemns this knoeing full well that if a political uprising occured there that they would not use the real Army but instead they would use an Army of police to attack the people. In thailand that would have only caused a lot of deaths. Also it is a sure thing that the US knows and understands the reasons why and knows that these political parties are undemocratic and totalitarian in their rule. The US knows none of these leaders respects the rule of law and judicial process. Maybe the US cut some money visually and is sending more money to them secretly

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thesetat2013

Thailand’s Defense budget in 2013 was 178,441,000,000 Baht. The US Defense funding cuts are only a political gesture. US has for years threatened to downgrade Thailand to Tier 3 status due to human rights abuses, that includes the military’s involvement, that again would be a political gesture with no meaningful financial measures.

• Like 2

Well I knew Washington was pretty ticked at the Thai military for its military mutiny, and most here and elsewhere pretty much expected military aid and assistance to be cancelled or severely cut back, but Washington has taken some pretty drastic steps. It's clear Washington sees the present coup as a game changer of an event that may alter U.S.-Thai relations in new and important ways.

Still, I seriously doubt Gen Prayuth, the military high command, the Bangkok ammarts, the Bangkok and Surat middle classes give a rat's arse.

Washington knows anyway that the Bangkok elites, despite the Sino-Thai heritage of so many, oppose Beijing's blockbuster infrastructure projects such as the Kra Canal, which the military also violently oppose. Beijing isn't going to gain much if anything from the current impasse in relations between Washington and the Bangkok ammarts and elites.

Obama administration cancels military training exercise with Thailand due to coup

The Obama administration said Saturday it has canceled a major military training exercise with Thailand, and a visit by U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Admiral Harry Harris, in response to last week’s coup by the Thai army.

The U.S. military also revoked an invitation to the commander of the Royal Thai Armed Forces to visit the U.S. Pacific Command at Pearl Harbor next month, Adm. Kirby said.

• 52bb84ab2373f214540f6a706700b8c6_mugshot

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Saturday that the U.S. also has canceled a U.S. government-sponsored firearms training program in Thailand for the Royal Thai Police that had been slated to begin May 26, and a U.S. government-sponsored study trip to the United States, scheduled for June, for several senior Royal Thai Police officers.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/24/obama-administration-cancels-military-training-exe/

• Like 1

Well I knew Washington was pretty ticked at the Thai military for its military mutiny, and most here and elsewhere pretty much expected military aid and assistance to be cancelled or severely cut back, but Washington has taken some pretty drastic steps. It's clear Washington sees the present coup as a game changer of an event that may alter U.S.-Thai relations in new and important ways.

Still, I seriously doubt Gen Prayuth, the military high command, the Bangkok ammarts, the Bangkok and Surat middle classes give a rat's arse.

Washington knows anyway that the Bangkok elites, despite the Sino-Thai heritage of so many, oppose Beijing's blockbuster infrastructure projects such as the Kra Canal, which the military also violently oppose. Beijing isn't going to gain much if anything from the current impasse in relations between Washington and the Bangkok ammarts and elites.

Obama administration cancels military training exercise with Thailand due to coup

The Obama administration said Saturday it has canceled a major military training exercise with Thailand, and a visit by U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Admiral Harry Harris, in response to last week’s coup by the Thai army.

The U.S. military also revoked an invitation to the commander of the Royal Thai Armed Forces to visit the U.S. Pacific Command at Pearl Harbor next month, Adm. Kirby said.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Saturday that the U.S. also has canceled a U.S. government-sponsored firearms training program in Thailand for the Royal Thai Police that had been slated to begin May 26, and a U.S. government-sponsored study trip to the United States, scheduled for June, for several senior Royal Thai Police officers.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/24/obama-administration-cancels-military-training-exe/

So what! I'm sure you are reading content in the international media that is blocked in Thailand as to the underlying reasons for the current power play

So what! I'm sure you are reading content in the international media that is blocked in Thailand as to the underlying reasons for the current power play

So it's pretty clear where the United States stands in the current power play, wouldn't you say?

Elections, democracy, rule of law and all of that that the Thais regard as superfluous to anything and everything.

Unprecedented actions to isolate the military coup dictatorship of a formal national security treaty ally.

The military ruling council will go ahead with Suthep's design to limit democracy, to restrict it, to narrow it so the feudal status quo not only can be maintained, but shall be strengthened to last in perpetuity.

If there ever again is to be any kind of democracy, that is.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight.

After 1000's were killed & imprisoned during the Tiannaman Square protests, the US maintained Most Favored Nation trading status with China. But a largely peaceful coup in order to avoid further violence in Thailand gets condemned by the imposition of sanctions.

I guess it's really true. Size does matter.

• Like 1

The US set the Thai army up and nurtured this creature while pandering to its every move over the decades since the beginning of the communist threat. The Thai military is a creature of US geopolitical maneuvering.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The US should stick to its rules and suspend any aid just like it would to any military dictatorship. This small amount is piddling.

Noitom, Very true, and I think they will suspend all aid like they have to by law, but even $10 million is a piddling amount! The real hurt will come when the U.S. government puts a halt to all military shipments of any kind to Thailand, as the Thai military is not well stocked in the spare parts department thumbsup.gif Hopefully it will not come to this, but I must say it is looking kind of scary right about now, what with this latest news of abolishing the Senate and taking absolute dictatorial power sad.png

• Like 1

If Thailand's neighbor to the North decides to offer support - the US will run back with check in hand.

I live in Las Cruces, NM, if I travel West or East I must pass through a Border Patrol check point and declare my nationality and allow them to look through my car if they so choose. Occasionally, there are night time stops here by the local police looking for drunk drivers, regardless all drivers are required to provide drivers license, auto registration and proof of auto insurance. If I catch a flight I have to empty my pockets and take my shoes off for semi-literate TSA employees who are rude and poorly trained. They follow the rules but wouldn't recognize a terrorist if he wore a sign.

This certainly makes me glad that the US government doesn't violate constitutional rights nor condone police state tactics.

Russia's Putin may offer some help once he knows the US is against the coup; after all, anything the US condemns cannot be all bad!

Edited by IBoldnewguy
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The US should stick to its rules and suspend any aid just like it would to any military dictatorship. This small amount is piddling.

Noitom, Very true, and I think they will suspend all aid like they have to by law, but even $10 million is a piddling amount! The real hurt will come when the U.S. government puts a halt to all military shipments of any kind to Thailand, as the Thai military is not well stocked in the spare parts department thumbsup.gif Hopefully it will not come to this, but I must say it is looking kind of scary right about now, what with this latest news of abolishing the Senate and taking absolute dictatorial power sad.png

Give samples of the parts to China - they will happily copy, manufacture and supply they at a lower cost, 55

So it's pretty clear where the United States stands in the current power play, wouldn't you say?

Considering the US cut aid by only $3M, it looks like the US quietly supports the current power play.

• Like 2

Considering the US cut aid by only $3M, it looks like the US quietly supports the current power play.

The US has, and will, support any government that emerges, has a semblance to democracy, and continues to be an ally. Why are so many people getting in such a fit over this. The US gives such a minuscule amount to Thailand compared with other recipients, that to infer the cutting of this small sum amounts to anything other than what the US is obliged to do by its own internal laws is stupid.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

The US has, and will, support any government that emerges, has a semblance to democracy, and continues to be an ally. Why are so many people getting in such a fit over this. The US gives such a minuscule amount to Thailand compared with other recipients, that to infer the cutting of this small sum amounts to anything other than what the US is obliged to do by its own internal laws is stupid.

And you of course do recognize that my post you quote in part does not necessarily exclude the given reality, demonstrated over 200 years,,that you reference in your post.

Reciprocally, you would recognize the United States can and consistently does have and express a preference of a certain kind of government over alternatives that may be unattractive for any number of reasons, and that Washington often expresses its preference in plain language everyone can understand, i.e., a democratic government of some reasonable kind..

In other words, while Washington often must play the hand it is dealt in a given country, it very much prefers a democratic government

After all, the reality of international common law is that a military mutiny coup d'état is deemed illegal if it fails, legal if it succeeds. That's an entirely amoral and pragmatic legal technicality - some would say immoral and a gross inadequacy of jurisprudence..

• Like 1

And you of course do recognize that my post you quote in part does not necessarily exclude the given reality, demonstrated over 200 years,,that you reference in your post.

Reciprocally, you would recognize the United States can and consistently does have and express a preference of a certain kind of government over alternatives that may be unattractive for any number of reasons, and that Washington often expresses its preference in plain language everyone can understand, i.e., a democratic government of some reasonable kind..

In other words, while Washington often must play the hand it is dealt in a given country, it very much prefers a democratic government

After all, the reality of international common law is that a military mutiny coup d'état is deemed illegal if it fails, legal if it succeeds. That's an entirely amoral and pragmatic legal technicality - some would say immoral and a gross inadequacy of jurisprudence..

Principles of international public law are not too relevant here, nor is there anyone to enforce them anywhere as we witness daily. And, I don't care to argue the morality of international jurisprudence as that serves no purpose outside of academia. Whether this current restart, in the form of a military coup and subsequent purging of Thaksin influences, reforming a constitution, and other reforms results in a relatively peaceful and bloodless return to a form of democracy is what is relevant.

Your views are well know on this forum, and are in many ways noble, but often ignore the realities of the situation in Thailand, and as I've noticed in China. This is not a slur on you. You are obviously an intelligent & educated person. However, your reverence for unworkable noble principles in these place in Asia does not serve a practical reality.

• Like 2

You're missing a hellova lot in this, historically between the two countries and presently.

You're looking at a single speck of sand and declaring that you've found a beach.

I wonder what you might declare whenever you spot a single puddle of water.

• Like 1