Ex-PMs Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck Shinawatra to establish government in exile

Lite Beer

Dream on,

There is no money to be stolen unless you governing inside Thailand ,

Who in the rest of the world is going to recognise a convicted criminal fugative as a Countries leader, other than maybe a few countries also run by criminals.

You really do have such a short memory Gunna! Don't you know that Nelson Mandela was a convicted criminal.

Just like Thaksin, he was put through a kangaroo court by his political enemies, but eventually came out on top. So in your ignorance, i think that you had better watch out for the likes of Thaksin and the reds. Anyhow, good luck in your dreams, they can only fail in the long run, because the masses are against your lot ruling the roost down in Bangkok. coffee1.gif

Jeez, do you really think Nelson Mandela and Thaksin are similar.

Mandela never denied he broke the law, served his time and when finally freed rose to be one the greatest leader the world has seen. He never allowed things to bitter him, took vengeance and certainly wasn't a common thief. He brought a very divided and unjust society together and avoided the total destruction of his country through vision, leadership and honesty.

Thaksin fled his punishment, avoids appealing or facing 15 other charges, has lied and cheated and been caught, refuses to obey the law, openly favors and enriches his family at the county's expense, finances rebellion and is quite prepared to destroy his country in his vain lust for power and greed to wealth.

See the difference?

No.......... you probably can't.

Clearly one of the better posts of this thread, run out of likes +1

Edited by Rimbuman
  • Like 1

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What moves has Thaksin already made that he can make more? He made a couple of tweets, the first in 250 days, after martial law was declared and has not even said anything since then, and specifically has said to this moment nothing about the coup and certainly not a word about a government in exile.

If Thaksin is going to set up a government in exile, do you not think Thaksin might make a mention of it at some point? After which THEN you can believe it? Or is the collective wisdom of the ThaiVisa Rumour Editor plus the ThaiVisa Panel Of International Foreign Affairs Experts enough for you to go on?

He hasn't said anything about a government in exile?

http://robertamsterdam.com/thailand/2014/05/23/statement-consideration-given-to-formation-of-thai-government-in-exile/

Well, this was posted by his lawyer two days ago. If it was posted against Thaksin's wishes, he should either get on the phone and have it take down or else fire his lawyer.

• Like 2

I don't know why somebody with excellent marksman skills isn't sent to Dubai and with 1 short sharp pop all this problem would be over and Thailand would be able to get back to a normal country again.

Not completely disagreeing with you, but have you really thought about the consequences that action would have here in Thailand. Turn him into an instant Martyr, with a bloody civil war to follow almost immediately. The poor would blame the elite, and all hell would break loose.

This government will have more legitimacy than the military junta, hated, not endorsed, even the senate speaker thrown away as as body to appoint an interim PM.

This government will be a focus point for the opposition in the country, organising funds, equipment, printing publications.

And what if they are endorsed after a while?

And what if the second one, who escaped to the uk, endorses them, as the only hope of returning to thailand?

Governments on exile are known from ww2, de gaulle, czekoslavakian, polish and other governments in london

These governments were in exile in a midst of WW2, fought against a common enemy.

Currently no country is really at such level of conflict with Thailand.

Governments in exile get a homecoming parade either through the might of other nations,

or through a lengthy process of domestic restiveness, where the incumbent regime loses

control.

The first is not very likely to happen. International military intervention or effective economic

sanctions are hard to execute, and getting an international coalition on-board is a pain.

The second option requires a sizable majority actively resisting the regime. As things stand,

there is no such national majority for whatever proposition one may come up with. Even if

there was, these things take a long time.

Clearly he likes the'Democratic system' of his Cambodian friends. He would like to copy it here.

A convicted fellon establishing a government in exile. Sounds like a horse the USA would bet on. They ve had so many good choices in the past.

Give it up already! Hanging on to illusive power makes you look ridiculous and only will cause more bloodshed. There is no 'winning' in that.

• Like 1

I must admit to grave misgivings about the nature of the relationship between Big Brother Thaksin and his baby sister Yingluck.

By all accounts many families in the north take certain types of 'familial closeness' to a whole new level.

I suppose one shouldn't dismiss the probity of such goings on if one hasn't tried it, however his past business dealings and wealth accumulation indicate a person free of any moral compass whatsoever

Edited by makkam

Ah,hubris...thy name is Thaksin! I had many long discussions with other farang who didn't care for him. I would answer their objections with "he is not responsible to us...but to his electorate."

I would have been one of those farang who didn't care for him. I saw him as a liar and a crook from the moment I first heard anything about him. BTW, that was when T was bosom buddies with the Finance Minister, and those 'insiders' craftily switched all their baht to dollars - the day before the FM floated the baht. Instant riches, ha ha ha ....all the way to the off-shore banks.

Who were the losers, you might ask? The Thai people, and anyone left holding baht.

Government in exile is a fantasy. Even so, I don't think I'd want my lawyer spouting off about it while I'm in custody of the military.

Maybe that is the tactic ? Provide some basis for detaining Yingluck indefinitely or for longer than the stated 3-7 days and hey presto, instant focal point for anti-coup sentiment.....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, trying to create a Myanmar type situation with Yingluck playing the lead female role. In 20 years time, she may measure up to the real thing.....if she lasts that long.

I attended two sessions of the Tibet Government in Exile Parliament in 2009. HH the Dalai Lama had, by that time, already freely given up any political ruling position. This Govt in Exile has a PM and a Parliament. Its authority comes from other Tibetans in Exile voting in the area of Dharmsala, the real town location, only near McLeod Ganj, who are ethnic Tibetans. This Govt reach does NOT extend into Red China nor the occupied Tibet.

It has been permitted to locate in India by the India Govt. Tibet situation has NO parallel to Thailand's; it was occupied and stolen by a foreign power, Red China. Totally different. It is so difficult to extend compassion to so very many typists on this venue who spout like drunks at a bar--all ignorant exspurts. But thanks for the practice to extend compassion anyway, such exercise is good for anyone.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What would a Govt in exile be able to accomplish? Other than keeping the hate fires burning brightly.

I think the objective is that - in the case of international intervention - the government in exile would be allowed to return to power if the junta were overthrown. Memory may fail me but I think that's happened in other countries with "governments in exile". (No, I can't provide an example but I think it's occurred, historically speaking.)

Dalai Lama has one government in exile for Tibet.

I visited the town once, McLeaod Ganj, a very Indian/Scottish name. And where were the USA when that happened? They did absolutely nothing because there was no oil and they were scared of the Chinese. Pathetic that when a country like Thailand has a legitimate coup that they get their noses into it. I could go on about Iraq, Afganisthan etc but off topic.

The announcement came from Robert Amsterdam, the lawyer who has clients like Mugabe, and other African leaders who aren't welcome in many countries, and all should face trial in the ICC in the Hague.

That tells us enough.

Ah,hubris...thy name is Thaksin!

I've been coming to/living in Thailand ever since the campaign that led to Thaksin's election.

I saw him as a Thai Carnegie or Gates.....a man who made his billions and decided enough was enough, and would devote the rest of his life to improving his country (especially the many have-nots).

The first term, he had a coalition government, and pushed through many sensible and much-delayed reforms (30 baht health insurance, OTOP). There was an air of excitement and the country was developing rapidly. I had many long discussions with other farang who didn't care for him. I would answer their objections with "he is not responsible to us...but to his electorate." The second term he won an absolute majority, and the mask began to drop. The abuses came more often, and I stopped defending him, and began apologizing for my own stupidity. He was arrogant, possessed of overweaning pride, and (as we later found out) greed and corruption. If he had only ended that TV appearance in which he bragged about selling his family's telecommunications interests to Temasek (the sovereign wealth fund of Singapore) and not paying taxes, with something along the following lines..."despite that, I will put one-third of my profits in a fund to improve education, health and conservation in this country." No demonstrations, derogatory songs about the square-faced man, nor any coup would have succeeded. Finally, the 80% getting milked by the elite would use their minds and breathe free.

But Thaksin had two tragic flaws - avarice and hubris. So sad...The people needed (and still need) a good, creative leader who would make Thailand a more egalitarian, educated country, full of opportunity for all. A leader who would have clean hands and speak truth to power. In short, Thaksin could have ascended the heights, but instead, he's still playing in the muck. The results...eight wasted years and more to come. With Asean integration on the doorstep, this could not have come at a worse moment.

Spot on +1

I've been coming to/living in Thailand ever since the campaign that led to Thaksin's election.

I saw him as a Thai Carnegie or Gates.....a man who made his billions and decided enough was enough, and would devote the rest of his life to improving his country (especially the many have-nots).

The first term, he had a coalition government, and pushed through many sensible and much-delayed reforms (30 baht health insurance, OTOP). There was an air of excitement and the country was developing rapidly. I had many long discussions with other farang who didn't care for him. I would answer their objections with "he is not responsible to us...but to his electorate." The second term he won an absolute majority, and the mask began to drop. The abuses came more often, and I stopped defending him, and began apologizing for my own stupidity. He was arrogant, possessed of overweaning pride, and (as we later found out) greed and corruption. If he had only ended that TV appearance in which he bragged about selling his family's telecommunications interests to Temasek (the sovereign wealth fund of Singapore) and not paying taxes, with something along the following lines..."despite that, I will put one-third of my profits in a fund to improve education, health and conservation in this country." No demonstrations, derogatory songs about the square-faced man, nor any coup would have succeeded. Finally, the 80% getting milked by the elite would use their minds and breathe free.

But Thaksin had two tragic flaws - avarice and hubris. So sad...The people needed (and still need) a good, creative leader who would make Thailand a more egalitarian, educated country, full of opportunity for all. A leader who would have clean hands and speak truth to power. In short, Thaksin could have ascended the heights, but instead, he's still playing in the muck. The results...eight wasted years and more to come. With Asean integration on the doorstep, this could not have come at a worse moment.

Excellent point.

The thing *I* have learned in a misspent life is that the rich people are exactly the ones who never, ever have enough. And yes Bill Gates, I'm looking at you. Yeah, you're a good guy this week, inoculating kids, but you will NEVER stop taking money for your semi-broken operating system and you will NEVER give any of it back, even in free support, say.

People like Thaksin who got to the top of the money through... er, even-more-questionable means that the completely amoral and unethical Gates will use those same tactics and invent others, because they want more, more, more and there is not such a thing as "enough". The "self-made" rich man is a lifetime addict to accumulation, and he will never stop. Like Gates, Thaksin has given away lots of money and set up foundations and education and all. He set up Otop and a terrific medical programme, and village funds that mean Isan people don't spend the winter in Bangkok any more.

I'm not blind to his achievements. But he can't stop accumulating, and therefore he never will, and if it's a fight between accumulating more or doing some good.... well, it's no fight at all, not at the time.

Right, Bill? Right, Warren?

Plus, as a bonus, you are right about Thaksin's personality and his need, his total need, to dominate and get his way. Kind of like an army general, actually. It destroyed him just as it has destroyed all the generals who made coups in the past 30 years and this one is absolutely toast.

Now then, what about a poll...... not the usual nonsense we get here but a substantial, independent one..... to finds out how many support of a Shin government in exile.

Some would say we've already had one for three years and that's why we are in this mess now, others that it's what the people (even the unpaid farmers) want. Well let's find out.

The announcement came from Robert Amsterdam, the lawyer who has clients like Mugabe, and other African leaders who aren't welcome in many countries, and all should face trial in the ICC in the Hague.

That tells us enough.

Exactly what crossed my mind.

So much for his ' I've quit politics' mantra. Note to self: never believe the man.

It would be irresponsible of him to allow this current dictatorship to continue their human rights violations unchallenged. He is far from perfect to be sure, but when given the choice between a quasi-corrupt politician and a violent military dictatorship, I'd pick the imperfect politician every time.

Would expect nothing less from you....

.................."It would be irresponsible of him to allow this current dictatorship to continue their human rights violations unchallenged."...............

Anyone with even half a brain would know that if it were not for one Thaksin Shinawatra we would not even be talking about this "violent military dictatorship" as you so dramatically call it. Anyone with half a brain, that is.

You so generously call the on-the-run criminal in hiding a "quasi-corrupt politician".

The meaning of the word "quasi" is - seemingly; apparently but not really, being partly or almost

Seems your hero is seemingly; apparently but not really, partly or almost hiding behind a sand dune somewhere in the Middle East, or in some tacky Chinese owned penthouse somewhere in Asia. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Good, at last some positive news.

The Bangkok elitist military royalist oligarchy will now have to deal with the government in exile on a daily basis while it sends out to its supporters (the majority of the population) information on how to resist this facist takeover.

The generals think their proxies can run the country successfully even after two years of Abbhisit's efforts failed.

This is just adding more fuel to the fire for PTP's supporters.

I would not be at all surprised if there was a civil war in Thailand and the Reds slaughter the lot of them.

I think you may not be too far off the mark. The protests against the coup already seem to be gaining momentum. Provided the protesters remain peaceful, the military will be boxed into a corner and the more likely scenario will be the removal of General P by the so called "watermelon" generals.

• Like 1

Excellent point.

The thing *I* have learned in a misspent life is that the rich people are exactly the ones who never, ever have enough. And yes Bill Gates, I'm looking at you. Yeah, you're a good guy this week, inoculating kids, but you will NEVER stop taking money for your semi-broken operating system and you will NEVER give any of it back, even in free support, say.

People like Thaksin who got to the top of the money through... er, even-more-questionable means that the completely amoral and unethical Gates will use those same tactics and invent others, because they want more, more, more and there is not such a thing as "enough". The "self-made" rich man is a lifetime addict to accumulation, and he will never stop. Like Gates, Thaksin has given away lots of money and set up foundations and education and all. He set up Otop and a terrific medical programme, and village funds that mean Isan people don't spend the winter in Bangkok any more.

I'm not blind to his achievements. But he can't stop accumulating, and therefore he never will, and if it's a fight between accumulating more or doing some good.... well, it's no fight at all, not at the time.

Right, Bill? Right, Warren?

Plus, as a bonus, you are right about Thaksin's personality and his need, his total need, to dominate and get his way. Kind of like an army general, actually. It destroyed him just as it has destroyed all the generals who made coups in the past 30 years and this one is absolutely toast.

Black smoking burned toast, curtains.

Well despite all the anti Government posts I think the government has a genuine and legitimate right to do that unlike the Military who have no right in power. Not that I like the government or supported them but they where elected by the people. I do support the rule of law and democracy and would not support a Dictator no matter who he was.

• Like 1

Which is exactly what Thaksin wants. Then she ends up looking good, like Aung Suu Kyi

Don't you know that Nelson Mandela was a convicted criminal.

Just like Thaksin, he was put through a kangaroo court by his political enemies, but eventually came out on top.

Yingluck = Aung Suu Kyi

Thaksin = Nelson Mandela

cheesy.gif

the Thaksinites are a laugh a minute

Yingluck and Dr. Thaksin may be jokes in your limited community, but the international community sees them differently.

Perhaps amongst some Montenegrins, Nicaraguans, and Ugandan's, Thailand Police Lieutenant-Colonel Dr. Thaksin is seen as a good guy and prosperous fellow citizen.

btw, if you can cite the international community referring to him as Nelson Mandela, that would be a welcome addition to the thread.

Edited by valvenus

It is suggested that English posters on this site refrain from criticizing any political faction in Thailand. Plus, since 95% of the Thai people can't read English, your wasting your time holding forth. The Thais, which ever side prevails, will find a way out of this.

I think you may not be too far off the mark. The protests against the coup already seem to be gaining momentum. Provided the protesters remain peaceful, the military will be boxed into a corner and the more likely scenario will be the removal of General P by the so called "watermelon" generals.

I would go further than that. If the protesters do not remain peaceful, the military will be MORE boxed in, unable to make any arrests and make examples of the bad eggs, but forced to either retreat or take no prisoners, as the cameras roll. It wouldn't be the first time, heh.

No army can cover itself with glory shooting its own citizens in the streets, including the inevitable reporters and innocent bystanders. Even if the citizens are (supposedly) armed. Oh I know the ThaiVisa Committee On Protecting Elite Views would be quite voluble, but for them I have two western words:

Kent State.

Government in exile is a fantasy. Even so, I don't think I'd want my lawyer spouting off about it while I'm in custody of the military.

He made this statement last Thursday whilst be interviewed by Australian media, (ABC) his interviewed was beamed live into Thailand via the Australian network. The Thai Military have no power to stop the Australian government T.V station from broadcasting.

And it's very well known how biased the ABC is in Australia. Any chance to possibly cause a problem they will take.

They should be ashamed of themselves for 'reporting' this kind of rubbish.

• Like 2

Thaksin's increasingly losing it.

Also very inconsiderate that this Amsterdam guy apparently cannot keep his mouth shut. He has just ensured that Yingluck and other PTP and red shirt key members will be able to enjoy military hospitality for a prolonged time.

Meanwhile Montenegro has perhaps already offered Thaksin a barren 100 sq.m. rock island off the Dalmatian coast where he can hoist his home-made flag and play his anthem, "Shinawatra ueber alles", every morning for a contribution of a mere 200 million US$ to the local economy; a steal, really.

Nothing wrong with indulging the lunatic's delusions of self-importance by fleecing him for everything's he's worth and as long as it keeps him happy. Ask Amsterdam. He's not working for free either and must have made a sizable fortune from Thaksin over the years.

Good, at last some positive news.

The Bangkok elitist military royalist oligarchy will now have to deal with the government in exile on a daily basis while it sends out to its supporters (the majority of the population) information on how to resist this facist takeover.

The generals think their proxies can run the country successfully even after two years of Abbhisit's efforts failed.

This is just adding more fuel to the fire for PTP's supporters.

I would not be at all surprised if there was a civil war in Thailand and the Reds slaughter the lot of them.

Did you accidentally smoke your socks?

NO! but i think that you have got yours pulled over your head and down over your eyes. whistling.gif