US envoy Kenney criticised

Lite Beer

"There is a monstrous disconnect between current US government policy towards Thailand and reality. Part of the problem may be that Ambassador Kenney forbade her political officers from physically visiting any of the protest sites.''

Seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me. The US government would not want to be seen taking sides and the US Embassy has plenty of alternative sources apart from official political officers to keep abreast of what was going on within the two camps.

Of course Yon is not a political scientist and is not a Southeast Asian expert by any stretch of the imagination. He is a decent "war correspondent" having a modest military background himself. But he has never seen the bigger picture, never able to accept General Butler's maxim, that war is just a racket.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This US ambassador has been a crawler during her office term here, seemingly attending VIP dinners, trips around and meetings with Yingluck, every time I watched her interviews they were all ---yes maam, no maam 3 bags full. Never a slightest word of criticism,

I do understand she represents US policy here but also can relay more info to Head office---true impartial ones. Me thinks she avoided many happening here.

Not to dissimilar to Dick Head from UK.

Her visible actions are what a Diplomat does.

I think that any criticism would be done by her behind closed doors with the relevant Thais. Diplomacy entails keeping channels open and avoiding a potential loss of face for the Thais.

As someone that worked with a female High Commissioner r in Pakistan I can say that a good representative is not afraid to call a spade a spade. That is what makes a respected diplomat and one that is just a show piece.

Kenny is a good lady and better than some of the others that don't even know the political system or currency of the country they are ambassador for.

The challenge is that she is working for a part of the US government that is in need of repair.

The challenge today is that too many diplomats and politicians in the world worry too much on the media and not enough to what is right and not what people want to hear.

Look at the way countries are running putting in place things that will make people happy and not necessarily do the country any good.

Hell Obama showed how much he cared about here by not coming and talking to the people involved.

the UN is a joke. Look at all the in action that has happened in the world.

Egypt tried democracy and now they have changed to having a newly retired general running the country.

Bottom line a military government that actually brings people together and promotes the betterment of the people is a whole lot better than a government that is run by a family for their own benefit or a country that is run in the feudal style.

General Prayuth please remember that you are to help the people.

*Deleted remark*

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

I'm sceptical about this letter. The language and writing style do not seem to me to come from somebody capable of publishing in academic political science journals, I suppose the author might be a recent Ph.D. who studied at a Thai university.

• Like 1

Nice to see this charlatan getting a little more mainstream coverage. He has been sabre rattling very biased anti govt coverage for ages.

His anti UsA stuff is quite incredible. He is spouting propaganda. So for all those who have a go about nick Nostitz and moan that falangs should stay our of it, this man is a perfect example on.the other side.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Michael Yon seems to be a bit strange based on his stories. Indeed, it looks like the auto-proclamed war correspondent is on the game as a street worker licking some butts when he finds it useful. If you ever read any of his articles, you will likely notice his non-sense. For example, he states that most Thais were happy with the coup. Alright, but wait a minute, there's not even one factual evidence to support his statement. He can have an opinion, but at least it should be backed up with some materials...

Michael Yon seems to be a bit strange based on his stories. Indeed, it looks like the auto-proclamed war correspondent is on the game as a street worker licking some butts when he finds it useful. If you ever read any of his articles, you will likely notice his non-sense. For example, he states that most Thais were happy with the coup. Alright, but wait a minute, there's not even one factual evidence to support his statement. He can have an opinion, but at least it should be backed up with some materials...

He is as yellow as Amsterdam is red. His articles verge on the surreal.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Carlyle, Thaksin, US interests. Enough said.

Do you have any references because i have just come across this and it has got me thinking about what this is all about

The view of 1 American in Thailand is so important?

For every person critical of the US action, I can find another who support it.

And vice versa - for every person supportive of the US action, I can find another who criticize it.

So I don't think Her Excellency will lose any sleep.

Yes. Amazing what happens when newspapers feel so intimidated that they can't print news. The headline, to reflect the past three years on ThaiVisa, should be, "US ambassador praised" as she was tens of thousands of times. But yes, for sure, US ambassador Kenney was criticised. Wow. Impressive. And she was praised as well. Wow. Impressive. That's why she gets the big salary and chauffeur, I guess, because she doesn't have hysterics either time. What a woman, able to take praise and criticism like that.

The "letter" from an unidentified, anonymous alleged American via Michael Yon who had absolutely no part in writing it, is interesting, though. It sounds EXACTLY like similar letters printed in the slavish Burmese media during the Slorc days.

• Like 1

This US ambassador has been a crawler during her office term here, seemingly attending VIP dinners, trips around and meetings with Yingluck, every time I watched her interviews they were all ---yes maam, no maam 3 bags full. Never a slightest word of criticism,

I do understand she represents US policy here but also can relay more info to Head office---true impartial ones. Me thinks she avoided many happening here.

Not to dissimilar to Dick Head from UK.

Her visible actions are what a Diplomat does.

I think that any criticism would be done by her behind closed doors with the relevant Thais. Diplomacy entails keeping channels open and avoiding a potential loss of face for the Thais.

As someone that worked with a female High Commissioner r in Pakistan I can say that a good representative is not afraid to call a spade a spade. That is what makes a respected diplomat and one that is just a show piece.

Kenny is a good lady and better than some of the others that don't even know the political system or currency of the country they are ambassador for.

The challenge is that she is working for a part of the US government that is in need of repair.

The challenge today is that too many diplomats and politicians in the world worry too much on the media and not enough to what is right and not what people want to hear.

Look at the way countries are running putting in place things that will make people happy and not necessarily do the country any good.

Hell Obama showed how much he cared about here by not coming and talking to the people involved.

the UN is a joke. Look at all the in action that has happened in the world.

Egypt tried democracy and now they have changed to having a newly retired general running the country.

Bottom line a military government that actually brings people together and promotes the betterment of the people is a whole lot better than a government that is run by a family for their own benefit or a country that is run in the feudal style.

General Prayuth please remember that you are to help the people.

Your majesty please come forward your children need your advice and leadership.

The fact is, its a volatile situation and having a journalist getting stuck into the story.accusing the ambassador individually of bias without proof is actually endangering her and the embassy itself.

He is spouting unfounded propaganda for what aim I don't know. But he is not a news source. He is the Fox news of bangkok reporting.

All pure opinion and supposition.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Every Thai i have spoke to so far has said that they are happy about the Coup. This interested me as most of them where considered Red shirts. They are still very loyal to their King which may go some way to explaining this.

Do you have any references because i have just come across this and it has got me thinking about what this is all about

Google any combo of words. It was no secret that Thaksin was a consultant for the group even if he 'resigned' back in 2001. You never really resign from the mafia.

His attempts to give Chevron the exploration contract off of Cambodia was no secret either. Or making PTT public years ago.

Michael Yon has always made it clear, he is a "pen for hire". Through his facebook page he asked for contribution to write for the anti government side.

He is not an "american". He is a professional writer hired to present one side of the story.

Oh. Hes a sort-of-the-other-side's Robert Amsterdam, then?

• Like 2

Google any combo of words. It was no secret that Thaksin was a consultant for the group even if he 'resigned' back in 2001. You never really resign from the mafia.

His attempts to give Chevron the exploration contract off of Cambodia was no secret either. Or making PTT public years ago.

And here is gullible me thinking he was a man for the people! Helping the poor, thinking about the majority and not the minority. I understand that these politicians will always have some self interest but &lt;deleted&gt;!! Amazing what propaganda will do. Thank god for the alternative media news sources that i have only recently started looking through.

Good stuff, useful for sure. But the test will come when we learn if you have the guts to post the lowdown on how it was Thaksin, and not Bush as widely believed, who planted the explosives in Building 7.

Off-topic, inflammatory and troll posts removed along with replies.

Please stay on the topic and refrain from making over-the-top remarks.

Your help in keeping the threads on topic is appreciated.

Thanks.

100% Agree and yes I'm an AMERICAN.

Yes, many Americans who move to Thailand sadly abandon the principles their parent country were founded upon. Thankfully, I am not one of them.

Kenney is doing a good job representing US interests in Thailand and defending the rights of the people of both countries with her actions and words. If you truly prefer living in a military dictatorship then by all means enjoy yourself while it lasts. coffee1.gif

Whats wrong with you? You more than anybody can see the Armies actions were not done to end democracy. It was done to end the political hatred and corruption that had taken hold in the 2 major parties and to quell a blood bath. YOU know darn well if political parties started to defy laws and entice terrorism in the US that they would have an Army of feds with shoot to kill orders be they pro or anti Gov. The US is not above what is happening here. They are just more devious in how they resolve it. Thailand needed this reset or would you prefer a civil war like the US had. Thai democracy is still young and learning how it works. But any idiot can see it was NOT working and the parties had twisted everything to benefit themselves.

I think as long as the Army is making progress to end the madness of Thak and Suthep and that they do all they can to restor democracy then they are doing a good job and should not be condemned. They are trying to save the country from its own self destruction which was getting closer and closer every day.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What'svwrong is that Thailand can never become a true democracy as long as corrution is allowed to run rampant from the lowest citizenry to the highest political office. For a democracy, (and I don't think there is a true democracy anywhere on the planet), to function fairly it must be free of corruption. Bribes to poilice, buying your way out of a crime, even murder, buying a drivers license even bribes to get a birth certificate, not to mention all the money that changes hands to build. Face it Thailand is corrupt to the core. I hope the army can sort it out and I agree they needed to do what they did but I hope they don't take it too far and I hope the next legitimate government is not just more of the same but I fear they will be. It is obvious that sides have been taken by the army and they should be neutral. I say side have been taken because although Suthep Thaugsaban and his yellow shirts started this problem and caused the deaths of 27 people I only hear of red shirts being pursued. Suthep should be held accountable for his actions.

I was right with you till you said Suthep caused the deaths of 27 people. Suthep was trying to make thaksin's proxy government accountable for their actions. And the PTP governments' militaristic members bombed & shot Sutheps supporters. You believe it was the protestor's fault? Why, because they should just lie there while Thaksin's proxies raped the country, with zero accountability?

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 2

Yes, many Americans who move to Thailand sadly abandon the principles their parent country were founded upon. Thankfully, I am not one of them.

Kenney is doing a good job representing US interests in Thailand and defending the rights of the people of both countries with her actions and words. If you truly prefer living in a military dictatorship then by all means enjoy yourself while it lasts. coffee1.gif

Whats wrong with you? You more than anybody can see the Armies actions were not done to end democracy. It was done to end the political hatred and corruption that had taken hold in the 2 major parties and to quell a blood bath. YOU know darn well if political parties started to defy laws and entice terrorism in the US that they would have an Army of feds with shoot to kill orders be they pro or anti Gov. The US is not above what is happening here. They are just more devious in how they resolve it. Thailand needed this reset or would you prefer a civil war like the US had. Thai democracy is still young and learning how it works. But any idiot can see it was NOT working and the parties had twisted everything to benefit themselves.

I think as long as the Army is making progress to end the madness of Thak and Suthep and that they do all they can to restor democracy then they are doing a good job and should not be condemned. They are trying to save the country from its own self destruction which was getting closer and closer every day.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This reply has merit and many good points. However, I prefer to attack and dismantle the position and not the poster.

The opening line, "What's wrong with you", would tend to put me on the defensive and turn off the message.The generous use of "you" seems counterproductive and simply omitting it would relay the same point without the barb of personal attack.

The "But any idiot can see" comment has an ambiguous meaning and seems to question the OPs

intelligence.

Written communication takes thought and practice. Knowing the subject matter is important. How to share it or make a point without offense is a greater challenge.

As for Ms. Kenney, I don't know her intentions or her communications with Washington D.C. concerning the present political situation. I'm not I charge of this purely Thai matter and I don't know more about it than anyone else that is not directly involved.

Just my two-Satangs worth.

Edited by Benmart

Good stuff, useful for sure. But the test will come when we learn if you have the guts to post the lowdown on how it was Thaksin, and not Bush as widely believed, who planted the explosives in Building 7.

Your sarcasm is saying what. The test will come when we learn if you have the guts to post what you really want to say and show your true colors.

Michael Yon has always made it clear, he is a "pen for hire". Through his facebook page he asked for contribution to write for the anti government side.

He is not an "american". He is a professional writer hired to present one side of the story.

Oh. Hes a sort-of-the-other-side's Robert Amsterdam, then?

Go read his Facebook and page and try to.challenge a word he says. You will be dumped on by teenage insults from his yellow shirt groupies and he will block u preventing debate.

He is not a news source. He has been part of the machinery to drag the US embassy into this story. I hope there aren't any serious repercussion.

• Like 1

An analogy between the two Gulf wars could be made to the 2006 and the current coup in Thailand: They were/are trying to chase out a so-called undesirable.

Hopefully, the Generals in this case won't make the same mess of this second chance...

At least with this coup the Generals in question are Thai: they speak Thai, read and write Thai and consequently fully understand Thai culture and, more importantly, along with their familes, they live in Thailand as citizens of Thailand.

So, it could be argued they have a far better idea of what is really happening with the politics in Thailand and how to fix it They have a real, not vested interest, in returning the country, quickly, to a fully functioning and safe society for their familes and for all Thais.

People who live in glass houses...

• Like 1

Go read his Facebook and page and try to.challenge a word he says. You will be dumped on by teenage insults from his yellow shirt groupies and he will block u preventing debate.

He is not a news source. He has been part of the machinery to drag the US embassy into this story. I hope there aren't any serious repercussion.

I'm trying to dig up in my memory, sans Google, the name of the ... I want to say "troubled" Australian who got involved on the stage and the press just as the 2010 events were coming to an end. A completely unhinged, self-appointed messenger for the red shirts as Mr Yon is for the yellows today (except without the stage of course). Well, I'll have to look it up.

Conor Purcell. "I was in the Australian army for seven years and...."

I really thought he was ill, but in any case, the red shirts used him just as the yellows are using this poor fellow, who really seems to have no clue despite his total commitment to the causes of Mr Suthep and Mr Sondhi and his very professional hatred for his own country - where by "professional" I mean paid for.

Saksit Saiyasombut's blog has nice background.

Edited by wandasloan

3.5 million is a drop in the military ocean. In soccer it wouldn't even buy a decent goalkeeper.

Just wait until we need an airport or harbor for our military. In the US we have the most ignorant and arrogant people in the government. First Obama has to go and the other liar Kerry who told us that he was a Mekhong hero.