For fun: Triumph Tiger 1050 sport or MV Agusta Brutale 920

Both bikes have great promotions going at the moment...20% off, so they are still at a jaw dropping 700k plus from a deep jaw dropping 900k plus.

Quite different and sure they won't let me test them, so wonder if anyone here has some experience with one or the other or even both. I guess the Tiger will be more comfy...but the MV well is a MV...nuff said!

They both have 120plus hp...more than enough to get in trouble, should both have decent character to keep one entertained for some time....

So? Anybody, any valuable insight.....as said just for fun...never too old to dream! :)

You can test MV...just in my case they have me test the bike (brutale in my case) only in the small parking lot in front of the dealer...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As a fan of Italian bikes , i would pick the MV as it sets my heart racing , and that is why i own a Benelli and a Aprilia. Just be sure it has had the fueling map has been sorted or modified and now has perfect fueling , as some can be very jerky.Triumph more practical , but (as you say) ,its not an MV.

MVs are sexy but technical wise they still have to learn a bit.

They just lost their license in California wont be able to sell any new models there...

Oh and i forgot the official importer here is same as KTM; both points would make me think.

Edited by Hili

I think MV using the KTM importer is a good thing , as there are far worse importers , and the "big Jap 4" arent going to help , are they ?. Yes , MV fueling has been problematic on some models (899) ?.

totally different bikes.

One is asphalt ADV and the other is naked.

So, first you have to decide what do you want.

Still, Triumph Tiger looks like a better value here with more cc and flexibility but Mv agusta will be easier to ride in a city.

MVA all the way for me.

I would be happy just having one as art where the Tiger is more about function and riding adventures.

You could probably park an MV anywhere because people want to see it like a Ferrari.

A Tiger is like a Range Rover, nice but not nearly as cool or fun to ride.

MVA all the way for me.

I would be happy just having one as art where the Tiger is more about function and riding adventures.

You could probably park an MV anywhere because people want to see it like a Ferrari.

A Tiger is like a Range Rover, nice but not nearly as cool or fun to ride.

Get you there...although the Brutale 920 isn't THAT fantastic looking....it probably is the plainest looking MV of all out there....from what i can see....but the name alone makes it "sexy".

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good look at the MV Brutale 920 and 675 in Bangkok last week. Did just a quick spin in the carpark.

Firstly the guys incl. "the foreigner" (sorry forgot his name and namecard not with me) were really nice, friendly, forthcoming with info.

The 920 looks and is quite a bit bigger than the 675. No big surprise there.

Felt immediately at ease on the 920 and easy throttle response, very smooth, no drama. Breaks very strong. Handled easily. Well just being in 1st and for a second in 2nd gear i can't comment much else. Nice looks on it. Special price pre Bike fair till July 20% discount from 920,000K.

The 675 is and feels quite a bit smaller. A bit more cramped and higher pegs, but not overly so. It felt very light, but throttle was much more twitchy and not as smooth from standstill. Handled of course easily. Probably slightly nicer looking with the 3 pipes exhaust.

Special price 699,000 at the moment.

They told me that they will be opening a showroom in Phuket within this year.

Seems that MV Agusta is getting quite serious as their prices are now quite "reasonable" for completely imported bikes. I know it is not 'cheap', but if you can get a MV Agusta 675 or 920 for less than a KTM Duke 690....than this is quite ok to me. Funny enough both are imported thru the same company. So why or why is KTM outpricing themselves like that is a mystery to me.

Nice bikes for sure....

• Like 1

Just saw a White Daytona 675R today parked

in front of Triumph dealer here

What a nice looking bike

Afraid to ask what the price here is

Nice bikes, but 920,000 baht for some reason whistling.gif

Hahah yeah I just looked too

You know looking at the US price 13,500 or 438kbaht that bike seems a great value for what is

hung on it. I had never seen one up close ...the R model I mean.

I must say I was very impressed. So much so I have been now looking at videos & am even more impressed.

Looks like they made a very nice bike/deal there at Triumph

PS: sorry for drifting off topic OP. Just coincidence a Triumph caught my eye today wink.png

Edited by mania

Just saw a White Daytona 675R today parked

in front of Triumph dealer here

What a nice looking bike

Afraid to ask what the price here is

Nice bikes, but 920,000 baht for some reason whistling.gif

Hahah yeah I just looked too

You know looking at the US price 13,500 or 438kbaht that bike seems a great value for what is

hung on it. I had never seen one up close ...the R model I mean.

I must say I was very impressed. So much so I have been now looking at videos & am even more impressed.

Looks like they made a very nice bike/deal there at Triumph

PS: sorry for drifting off topic OP. Just coincidence a Triumph caught my eye today wink.png

is all good...although the Daytona is not a naked bike....but engine wise sure competes with the Triple from MV (but Street Triple R is the more obvious competitor). I believe Triumph has a discount also for the Street Triple r at the moment, going for around 690,000 but not quite sure. So Brutale 675 vs Street Triple R. The Brutale 920 competes more with the Speed Triple, but at much lower price.....haha MV cheaper than Triumph!

of course they are all bloody expensive compared to other countries....but that does not help us here in Thailand. I gave up comparing prices long time ago. It is now more 'what am I willing to spend' for a particular thing! When I first arrived in Thailand I thought a bar of chocolate was ridiculously priced and did not buy for a couple of years...now, it is just...what the hell....if i want i have to spend! Other things are cheaper here....so we can't get it every way!

• Like 1

of course they are all bloody expensive compared to other countries....but that does not help us here in Thailand. I gave up comparing prices long time ago. It is now more 'what am I willing to spend' for a particular thing! When I first arrived in Thailand I thought a bar of chocolate was ridiculously priced and did not buy for a couple of years...now, it is just...what the hell....if i want i have to spend! Other things are cheaper here....so we can't get it every way!

Agreed Frank & I too accept that we are here & price is what price is here.

Funny you mentioned chocolate as it was something I noticed a few years ago when we arrived too. smile.png

Only reason I still look at US prices is we still own our home there

& mainly moved here as my wife's parents are in their 80's&90's now

So I wanted my wife to have time with them while they still exist.

But eventually we may likely move back as we live in a beautiful spot there

So I am always thinking smile.png hmmm if we move back I would buy????

• Like 1

^ I agree, but less so than I would have 5 years ago...

I think a lot of the new releases have been sensibly priced which makes the Triumph's pricing look a bit silly/outdated now. For example in reviews between the Z800 and the Street Triple, the Street Triple normally takes it by a whisker. And yet the Z800 is 375k and the Street Triple is double that. So you're paying twice as much for maybe 10% more bike. Even the Hypermotard and MT-09 are under 500k.

• Like 1

^^

I check US prices so I know how badly we're being screwed on the LOS price- if it's more than roughly double here, we're being gouged well beyond even what import taxes call for- my favorite case-in-point is the 1290 Super Duke- at $17K, it should be ~1.1m in Thailand, but KTM is charging 1.4m... I'm down on KTM for that (though if I wanted an Enduro I could be seduced by the 690;)).

Still, if something grabs you hard enough and you have the means to afford it, there are worse ways to 'bite the bullet' than buying yourself the motorcycle you really want- you'll remember the joy of having the bike long after the pain of paying the price has faded- the decision to buy something really sexy on two wheels rarely comes from a rational place.

I think the tiger 1050 would be perfect for Thailand, not too bad for city.

But of course you can still get he Versys or V-Strom for more or less half the price.

There is also the V-Strom 1000, still cheaper but not sure what the price is.

Had a good look at the MV Brutale 920 and 675 in Bangkok last week. Did just a quick spin in the carpark.

Firstly the guys incl. "the foreigner" (sorry forgot his name and namecard not with me) were really nice, friendly, forthcoming with info.

"The foreigner" is Jean-Pierre Benveniste. He's GM for MV Augusta in Thailand. I had quite a long chat with him at Panda a few weeks ago. Nice guy.

Have you considered the FZ-09. If it's just fun that you're after …