Small portions food

namdocmai

Restaurants in BKK serve smaller foodportions every year. The amount of rice is so small now that i like to order a big bowl (which serves 4-5) for myself and that's still not enough for me alone.

Is a normal portion of rice enough for you? Also when i order pee-set (extra big) then still i get a very small amount so now i order 2 or more meals everytime.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what weight is the op ?

what weight is the average thai whos about as muscular as a schoolgirl ? :)

but yes ,they have definately been giving smaller portions in the last few months due to rising costs of rice ingredients ? lol

the 30 thb meals are tiny now ,the ones that stayed the same size are now 40-45thb

2 differt approaches to tackle the same problem

Oh you guys think i 'm a fat american? I am 88 kg and very tall and active so for me the meals are just small.

I ate in a thai steakhouse one day, costed around 60 baht a meal but man was it small. Small piece of chicken, some sauce (a teaspoon full),a leaf of lettuce, 5 french fry's and that was the meal.

Or in Foodland restaurant, mixed grill for 180 baht and i got 4 very small pieces of meat.

I know the prices are not skyhigh but why those small portions? So how can there be so many fat people in Thailand?

Which restaurants are you refering to? if those posh places where they serve an average tasting tom yum kung for 350 baht, then yes, smaller portions. If from the small shophouses/family owned Thai restaurants, then no the portions are enough to fill and made with love and dedication. Plus the same dishes that serve in posh places costs 10 times less.

"Also when i order pee-set (extra big) then still i get a very small amount"

Well, that's probably because "pee-set" means "special", and not "big". Special, as in for example, "pad thai peeset" will usually get you pad thai with shrimp instead of chicken or egg.

There's probably a better way to say it, but try "jaan yai" (big plate). Maybe someone can chime in with a better word to use.

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 1

Well my wife taught me to ask for pee-set as being extra large.

If you order kao pad american in Black Canyon then now you get a very small cup or fried rice with that. And also only 2 slices of ham instead of 4 like in the past.

Yes posh places think it is hi-so to give very small portions. Prices went up a lot the last years. I remember some years ago a really big deepfried seabass from the tank costed like 180-200 baht while now it costs sure 250-300 for a small one.

Even my wife complaints about the small portions these days. If we order a dish like duck in coconutcurry and only get 4 small pieces of duck for 120 baht then we are not happy.

Or kao pad khung with only 3 small prawns for 50 baht. I wished they had a pee-set for that with many prawns for 100 baht.

Those who run restaurants in Bangkok are in it only for the money and for whatever reason seem to be able to get away with serving low quality food and tiny portions perhaps because Bangkokians have low standards and are time constrained. I would be interested in seeing their profit margins.

Ask locals for places that have been there for twenty-forty years. Those type places do not do the portion and quality fiddling like you see at the gypsy run restaurants/stalls.

Oh you guys think i 'm a fat american? I am 88 kg and very tall and active so for me the meals are just small.

I ate in a thai steakhouse one day, costed around 60 baht a meal but man was it small. Small piece of chicken, some sauce (a teaspoon full),a leaf of lettuce, 5 french fry's and that was the meal.

Or in Foodland restaurant, mixed grill for 180 baht and i got 4 very small pieces of meat.

I know the prices are not skyhigh but why those small portions? So how can there be so many fat people in Thailand?

thais are either malnourished looking or obese ,not many fall in between at a healthy looking weight and build

especially in the poorer areas of bkk

they love to eat KFC and its ridiculously fattening greecy <deleted> ad drinking beer

probably responsible for the men ,also theres far too much sugar in every drink

which contributes to it

i am about the same height and weight and i have to order two meals in most places because

even though the food is cheap you would still be starving eating just one wafer thin steak and

a single leaf of lettuce and 4-5 french fries

i suppose its due to the fact that thais are starting to like farang food like pizza ,pasta ,steak etc

but these things cost more than a typical thai meal so they give the smallest portions possible

so they can put a sign outside that says " steak for 49thb or 69thb " instead of saying its 200thb

and giving a western sized portion

Yes i need 2 meals or a kao pad, som tum, fried fish all for myself then i have enough.

Black Canyon also sells steaks haha, one day i tried their t-bone and they even asked me how i wanted to have it, well medium. The steak was sooo thin that it was all well done, chewy and not nice at all. Another day i was very hungry and easy ate 4 american breakfasts in Black Canyon. They had never seen that before.

Also the deepfried seabass is expensive i think. They are bred in a river, not filleted or marinated it is just an opened deepfried fish for 300 baht. For that money i can have a big codfillet from the ocean in Europe.

Yes many Thai don't eat properly or healthy. The skinny girls almost eat nothing at all, not even when the boss is paying a superdinner for them. The men don't like vegetables and also don't eat much. They care for their drinks more.

Rising costs + wanting to make more profit. Seems a national pastime now. Btw, 'peeset' refers to size in the food service industry here and will be understood as such to mean a larger portion.

not where I live. it means special

• Like 1

Rising costs + wanting to make more profit. Seems a national pastime now. Btw, 'peeset' refers to size in the food service industry here and will be understood as such to mean a larger portion.

not where I live. it means special

Well i 'm in Europe now and here the Chinese restaurants have a "special" for many dishes. Then you get the more luxe version of the dish. Strange that they don't have specials in Thailand. I have never seen a kao pad special or a pad thai special. What i miss is a kao pad Thai with satay, vegy, peanutsauce, pickles, peanuts/grated coconut...more like the indonesian fried rice with many extra's.

If i order a fried rice with 2-3 sidedishes at the Chinese takeaway here in Europe it will cost me about 8-9 euro but then 2 big eaters can have a proper big meal with loads of expensive vegy, meat fillet, sidedishes, sauces, pickles for 8 euro. I wished we had take-aways like that in Bkk where you can wait on a chair in aircon, read a magazine and bring the food home.

Edited by namdocmai

I suggest the OP go eat gai yang on the street. Maybe the prices have risen 5 baht compared to 10 years ago but from what I can see the chickens are about the same size.

the sticky rice portios have gotten smaller that come with the gai yang

now they are very thin for 5thb or thicker for 10thb but basically seem to have doubled in price

as the "thick" packages were 5thb for a long time

I suggest the OP go eat gai yang on the street. Maybe the prices have risen 5 baht compared to 10 years ago but from what I can see the chickens are about the same size.

now they are very thin for 5thb or thicker for 10thb but basically seem to have doubled in price

ok I will take your word for it. Perhaps it's a thing called inflation...heard it existed in other parts of the world as well.

ok I will take your word for it. Perhaps it's a thing called inflation...heard it existed in other parts of the world as well.

i think you will find its called hyperinflation

most things are costing way more than they did a year ago

Inflation.

Food sellers trying to keep the price the same but compensating with either smaller or lower quality portions. I've noticed this over the past few years.

Piset means special. But when ordering food, it means asking for a bigger portion or more of one ingredient - piset moo...more pork please.

• Like 2

Inflation.

Food sellers trying to keep the price the same but compensating with either smaller or lower quality portions. I've noticed this over the past few years.

Piset means special. But when ordering food, it means asking for a bigger portion or more of one ingredient - piset moo...more pork please.

Yes that's what is going on now, they make the portions smaller for the same price. I don't want to leave a restaurant feeling hungry so i will have to order an extra dish then.

I rarely eat chicken from the street, gai yiang is hard to find in restaurants. I can't remember i saw that, it is always deepfried chicken or fillet. Japanese restaurants have nice grilled chicken so i eat it there.

Sticky rice with mango and coconutsauce costs 50 baht now in BKK-suburbs. How much is that in your places?

Sticky rice with mango and coconutsauce costs 50 baht now in BKK-suburbs. How much is that in your places?

40 baht is the norm in Chiang Mai. I remember when it was 15 baht, but it was difficult to find shops that would sell it to farangs for that price.

Now i 'm thinking that maybe restaurants don't like it when people have leftovers. In Bkk loads of people ask for a doggybag and then the waiters have to pack all the food for no extra money. Restaurants even offer you to pack the leftovers sometimes.

There should one standard cup that restaurants can use for rice, now they all use a different size of rice cup.

I never had the extra egg on top, i won't order it anyway because i allready eat plenty eggs in LOS.

Well my wife taught me to ask for pee-set as being extra large.

It usually means to put a fried egg on top.

thats kai dao

Yes it is, but that is what you get when you ask for pee-set.

not where i live

The size of the main food dishes is simple to explain .. everything is going up in price. And the government regulate dished food prices to 35 b (not 100% sure on the price) so something has to give

. Portion size!

And OP that's a very cheap Chinese Takeaway you go to in Europe!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The size of the main food dishes is simple to explain .. everything is going up in price. And the government regulate dished food prices to 35 b (not 100% sure on the price) so something has to give

. Portion size!

And OP that's a very cheap Chinese Takeaway you go to in Europe!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

food prices are not regulated to 35 thb in my area of bkk

they charge 25 for a few greasy noodles i a bowl or 500 for a pizza or a good steak depending on the shop

as far as i know ,they charge as much as they possibly can while still retaining customers

new shops open and close all the time ,i went for a walk down my soi and found about 4 new food shops that werent there about a month or 6 weeks ago ,a shop opens selling a novelty food like pizza or steak and if it appears to be doing well someone copys their idea and opens another one right beside it lol