American Teacher’s 2.2 Million Baht’s worth of luck thanks to Pattaya resident

webfact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

biggles45, phosphorescent, pingman and 11 others like this

Anyone else here all bitter and twisted because they missed out an a free lunch?

10,000 baht for the good luck of finding this bag and turning it in to the police if pretty fair I reckon.

• Like 1

What an idiot!

I wouldn't have him teaching tricks to a dog let alone English to a Thai. At 63 why isn't he retired anyway?

"Why isn't he retired"? Because we don't have good pensions in America anymore and the middle class has eroded exponentially over the last 20 years. Unless you're lucky enough to have been a high paid executive or have a good government job or high ranking military job, you're left with Social Security at age 65 which is very small money (if you take SS early at age 62 it's really small) and you must pay very high medical insurance costs (we don't have the NHS like the UK or good health care like Canada that's included as a citizen benefit). Plus our property prices have not gone thru the roof and exploded like UK property owners who got lucky and became millionaires just because they bought a flat in London 20 years ago. So, unless you made big money and invested wisely most Americans have to continue to work as long as they are physically able, that is, if they even have a job that pays a living wage. Now 40% of Americans make less than the 1968 minimum wage (inflation adjusted). That's one of the reasons I live here because of financial concerns...

Well said.

• Like 1

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

biggles45, phosphorescent, pingman and 11 others like this

Anyone else here all bitter and twisted because they missed out an a free lunch?

10,000 baht for the good luck of finding this bag and turning it in to the police if pretty fair I reckon.

That's what my wife says as well. She said allot of traditional Thais would have given the reward money back saying it's reward enough just doing the right thing. I guess I still have a few things to learn.

Edited by Wiceman

I have to agree with you. This is a ridiculous award. 10% would have been proper. This is the strangest story as well. How the <deleted> do you just drop that kind of money. So strange.
  • Like 1

I have to agree with you. This is a ridiculous award. 10% would have been proper. This is the strangest story as well. How the <deleted> do you just drop that kind of money. So strange.

It might help if we really knew how much money was lost and found.

According to Pattaya One News the amount is 2.2 million but Pattaya Daily News have the amount at 220,000 Baht.

Looking at the pictures I can see a band of US Dollars totaling USD 2,000 (Baht 64,960), travelers cheques for USD 1,000 (Baht 32,480), a 1,000 Philippine Peso note (Baht 743) and a few 1,000 Baht notes, so for once I'm leaning towards the Pattaya Daily News report on this case.

Whichever the case, the amount is a lot of money to Khun Yupin, but there is a world of difference between 2.2 million and 220,000.

• Like 1

That's a lot of money to be carrying round in a brown paper bag.

Good lady. I hope she will be rewarded with another 210.000 = 10% of the 2.2 mio. from the tight fisted american.

Take a look again at the foto. What I can see is a brown leather bag, no paper bag.

• Like 1

This Lady did the right thing. It a chance in a million he got it back. Give her what she deserves, You have just won the lottery thanks to a Lady who gave you the correct numbers. 250,000 baht is a good start. If she called him and asked him how much she would give her, if she returned the money, I wonder what he would have said ???

• Like 1

What a poisonous bunch of cretins some TV readers are. Seems like honesty isn't enough these days. The reward given was a gesture of gratitude and I suspect was received graciously.

10%, 5% or whatever of the capital, may well spring to mind if the reward were advertised and actively being sought by the Police but it wasn't. In this case the finder chanced along 'at the right time' and did what few others faced with the same situation would do.

As for all the other inane questions and comments about the guys appearance and did the police investigate the origin of the cash etc,.... well, I'm sure after reading any ot the TV posts they'll be 'back on the case' ASAP to 'dot the I's and cross the T's', just in case HQ checks up !

Quite probably, the finder went straight to the Wat and made a donation of the reward.....no doubt many would have something to say about that too!

As 'The Yanks' say...."if you don't like it, suck it up"

....Oh, and "Have a nice day Y'all"

• Like 1

It might help if we really knew how much money was lost and found.

According to Pattaya One News the amount is 2.2 million but Pattaya Daily News have the amount at 220,000 Baht.

Looking at the pictures I can see a band of US Dollars totaling USD 2,000 (Baht 64,960), travelers cheques for USD 1,000 (Baht 32,480), a 1,000 Philippine Peso note (Baht 743) and a few 1,000 Baht notes, so for once I'm leaning towards the Pattaya Daily News report on this case.

Whichever the case, the amount is a lot of money to Khun Yupin, but there is a world of difference between 2.2 million and 220,000.

It was also reported as 220,000 on the news of one of the tv channels last night.

It's off topic to discuss the american's looks or his T-shirt. It's also silly to ask why he is still working at the age of 63.

I do not have a teacher's diplom but would like to teach (or do something useful) at the age of 65. Even at the age of 75.

Better than hanging around feeling bored and drinking beer all day.

Back to topic. The amount is still unknown. Was it 2.200.000 THB or was it 220.000 THB ?

The latter one seems to be more likely.

• Like 1

What about some questions regarding this amount of money in cash,Where did it come from? What is it for? The BIB didnt check this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2.2 million returned. How much tea money?

I don't like to make judgments based on appearance but I've watched and met too many western "teachers" here who have no business teaching children anywhere. This guy could be a true scholar, a great teacher from the west, loved by all with whom he works. But I'd also like to believe one with such a credential would groom a bit better.

• Like 2

whether this man is an idiot or not for carrying around that much money.i think he would have been quite distraught at losing it.i think it does quite surprisingly speak volumes about Some Thai people, handing in that much money from a thai is staggering, and puts a lot of people to shame who stereotype all thais as being greedy,this story shows that there is some decency amongst the citizens and of all places Pattaya!Good on you lady may a thousand elephants blow in your direction!

• Like 1

What an idiot!

I wouldn't have him teaching tricks to a dog let alone English to a Thai. At 63 why isn't he retired anyway?

Where does it say he's teaching English to a Thai?

Just because some of the Thai Visa cadre of English teachers who work at the Fly By Night English Academy & Massage Parlor "earn" Baht 15,000 to Baht 30,000 a month, doesn't mean that's what someone who's properly qualified and employed at a quality school would be making. And why should someone retire at 63 if he enjoys the work he's doing?

Sounds like someone's a little jealous.

"I wouldn't have him teaching tricks to a dog..."

Unless you work in the personnel office at a circus and are looking for a new dog act, something tells me that hiring others has never been part of your job description.

• Like 2

What an idiot!

"Why isn't he retired"? Because we don't have good pensions in America anymore and the middle class has eroded exponentially over the last 20 years. Unless you're lucky enough to have been a high paid executive or have a good government job or high ranking military job, you're left with Social Security at age 65 which is very small money (if you take SS early at age 62 it's really small) and you must pay very high medical insurance costs (we don't have the NHS like the UK or government health care like Canada that's included as a citizen benefit). Plus our property prices have not gone thru the roof and exploded like UK property owners who got lucky and became millionaires just because they bought a flat in London 20 years ago. So, unless you made big money and invested wisely most Americans have to continue to work as long as they are physically able, that is, if they even have a job that pays a living wage. Now 40% of Americans make less than the 1968 minimum wage (inflation adjusted). That's one of the reasons I live here because of financial concerns...

Yep, Australia wants to be like this as well, I feel for older Australians who did not acquire property or lost it in failed marriages. They have nothing and a pension will not pay rent. See you all in Thai or other developing nation.

• Like 2

Yes. Agreed. 10% would have been fair. Then you say, that's a lot, well $60 grand is better than nothing.

He should be grovelling with gratitude.

Where are the Thai bashers now? Could only happen in Thailand? that sort of thing .. . ..