American Teacher’s 2.2 Million Baht’s worth of luck thanks to Pattaya resident

webfact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'd have been well out of luck if I had found it !

In which case you are the sort of person that Thailand can well do without.

Well Glasswort (worm) you piece of S#*^* hope you manage to lose a bag with all you had.

Are you OK?

To have kept the money is plain and simple theft.

If you find something it is NOT finders keepers....you hand it in , get a receipt and then if it is not claimed it is yours.#

That is the honest way things are done.

Seems from your eloquent and well penned reply to Glasswort you don't understand this.

He'd have been well out of luck if I had found it !

So...you would steal it? Become a thief? Is your post serious or am I reading it wrong and a bit of a joke?

What do those equally dishonest clowns that gave you kudos not understand? It is NOT yours to keep.

Hand it in...if it's not claimed ...then it's yours.

I found a wallet last month...ID card, bank cards, personal papers and a sum of money. I went to a lot of trouble to track him down and return HIS property.

But then, that's how my parents raised me.

If I found YOUR wallet, bag of money you would get it back from me. Seems you wouldn't return the favour??

Edited by harleyclarkey

After many negative things said about Thailand and Thai people in this Forum, this post shows how wonderful this country and some of the people here can be -- especially K. Yupin. If James had left that bag in most any other country I know of, he could have kissed it goodbye.

But Thai people can be wonderful and honest, especially helping each other out when things get lost. A friend of mine had her passport returned at one of the large airports here after it was dropped in the bathroom. Where else would that have happened?

But about that reward, James -- 10,000 Baht to K. Yupin is the best you could do? What a cheapskate! You should be ashamed of yourself!

You could have lost it all, you know. Probably would have if I had found your bag. Don't you think what K. Yupin did is worth at least 10%?? A minimum tip in the US, where you come from?

And what about the police? Not every pile of cash delivered to a police station ever finds it way out again, you know? After foolishly losing your bag, you were lucky enough to run into a saintly honest woman and similarly honest cops. And all you can pop for is a smile, thank you, and 10,000 Baht?

Come on, cheapskate, spread a little more of that money around. How about 100,000 Baht for K. Yupin and 100,000 Baht for one of the police charities or funds?

• Like 1

post-206952-0-04916100-1401094087_thumb.

I don't like to make judgments based on appearance but I've watched and met too many western "teachers" here who have no business teaching children anywhere. This guy could be a true scholar, a great teacher from the west, loved by all with whom he works. But I'd also like to believe one with such a credential would groom a bit better.

What a good advert for upstanding American males! Can he not afford a shirt and a pair of trousers for a photocall? I would have thought with just having recovered his missing 2 million baht, he would have made an effort to look more presentable, or maybe the money wasn't actually his, and he was just "keeping it for a friend"! In any case, the lady's conscience is clear, and hope that she gets good luck in return. Not so his - to give her such a paltry amount as a reward is insulting, and going by the opinions of other posters, I hope he has a rethink - after all 10% tip in a restaurant is the norm for average service - more if you are extremely satisfied. I would have been extremely satisfied!

What a cheapskate. Found money reward should be a minimum of 5%.

Even if this guy cut it down to 2.5% it wouldn't be that bad.

And the police should investigate why he was carrying all that money around even Thai property deals these days take bank cashier cheques.

10,000 Baht is just a slap in the face.

I hope some of this guys buddies take him aside and talk some sense into him.

He is doing a disservice to all who may lose money in the future.

What on earth has it got to do with you how much money he has and how he decides to carry it around?

I agree with Wiceman - anybody carrying that amount of money round in a brown bag (especially a "scruffy" teacher) is either stupid or bent. And the 10,000 baht reward is peanuts compared to the amount found.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Something is fishy here. Why is this guy wandering around pattaya with US$ 60k in a bag...He can't get any bank to open an account because of FACTA? I know Thais deal in large cash transactions but very unusual for a foreigner.

Why? Doesn't everybody walk around with that much cash? You may need it when you just happen to meet your dream girl and want to make her smile.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great story.

Goes to show there's good people all over the world.

Yes sure….But this man with the ridiculous reward he gave to this honest Thai woman is not part of them alt=whistling.gif> Pffff

It could well be that it is not all his money. So stop judging. The lady getting $300 was not complaining so why do you?

And the police should investigate why he was carrying all that money around even Thai property deals these days take bank cashier cheques.

What on earth has it got to do with you how much money he has and how he decides to carry it around?

I agree with Wiceman - anybody carrying that amount of money round in a brown bag (especially a "scruffy" teacher) is either stupid or bent. And the 10,000 baht reward is peanuts compared to the amount found.

Yady Yady Yady Ya, don't know anything about it but judge. Could well be that it was not his money. Is the lady complaining about $300? No. So why do you? And like one poster said "What on earth has it got to do with you how much money he has and how he decides to carry it around?"

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

if i found it he would not have given me 10.000 bhat as he have lost the whole lot and i gone nice holiday to stay in 5* hotels and thanked him for my luck

Yady Yady Yady Ya, don't know anything about it but judge. Could well be that it was not his money. Is the lady complaining about $300? No. So why do you? And like one poster said "What on earth has it got to do with you how much money he has and how he decides to carry it around?"

I repeat - "anybody carrying that amount of money round in brown bag is either stupid or bent"

1. Stupid - no explanation should be necessary, but I am entitled to my opinion, and I am sure the same opinion held my many others that to carry 2.2 MILLION BAHT around anywhere in a brown bag, never mind Pattaya, is STUPID.

2. Bent - It may well be that it was not his money, but to carry 2.2 MILLION BAHT of someone else's money around in a brown bag "suggests" that the money is a bit "dodgy" does it not? But surely a teacher would not be walking round with 2.2 MILLION BAHT of dodgy money in a brown bag, would he?

What a joke story.

Who forgets 2.2 million Baht in a bag?? Does any story in the paper here make any sense!

These stories come round with regularity (usually following some bad press about the police).

Hapless foreigner carrying ridiculous amounts of cash FORGET it or DROP it somewhere!!!!! Honest and good Thai working class Joe hands it in and doesn't steal a satang. (Actually, that bit is possible). The police don't steal anything and trace the owner!!!!! (Absolutely no way). The owner hands over a miserly reward (showing how untrue the story really is). The Thais don't complain about the miserly reward (I bet they would in private though).

It's an old script, guys, come up with something new.

• Like 1

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

if i found it he would not have given me 10.000 bhat as he have lost the whole lot and i gone nice holiday to stay in 5* hotels and thanked him for my luck

Good man Mickyboy.

So...you would steal it then?

And if you lost a large sum of money you wouldn't mind then if the finder told you to stuff it and went on a 5 star trip???

What kind of moron carries around 2.2 million baht in a paper bag, this story is truly bizarre and the lady that turned in the money is a saint...

Perhaps he has just sold a car. Perhaps a condo. Perhaps he stole it, perhaps he borrowed it.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

• Like 1

What an idiot!

I wouldn't have him teaching tricks to a dog let alone English to a Thai. At 63 why isn't he retired anyway?

He might love teaching and want to feel like he is helping or feels this is an easy way to remain in Thailand. Also he might not want to retire yet. As for teaching tricks to a dog, not quite the same as teaching English.

I’m amazed that there are so few here on the forum realizing that most likely the amount of money lost was about

220K not 2.2M Baht

Handing over 10K as a finder’s fee is close to 5% and maybe a bit on the low side, but still a very nice reward for a good deed.

Sorry to everyone for jumping the gun.

I let this persons title and disheveled look prejudice my opinion of his actions.

I posed the question to some Thai friends and the consensus was that they would all expect the finder to report the loss, as the passport connected it to the likely owner. However, they all agreed that without such identification being present, that they would be reluctant to hand the money in to the police, and more tempted to keep it. Much the same as in any other country probably. Nothing but respect to the lady. She deserves the highest praise for acting in accordance with her conscience. As for any reward...up to him and his conscience, I guess .

• Like 1

I’m amazed that there are so few here on the forum realizing that most likely the amount of money lost was about

220K not 2.2M Baht

Handing over 10K as a finder’s fee is close to 5% and maybe a bit on the low side, but still a very nice reward for a good deed.

Sorry to everyone for jumping the gun.

I let this persons title and disheveled look prejudice my opinion of his actions.

Cleaning up my mistake and leaving my sincere apologies Wiceman!

Edited by MTH