American Teacher’s 2.2 Million Baht’s worth of luck thanks to Pattaya resident

webfact

Something fishy about this story;

1) I'm sure there will be a followup story

2) It's obvious by the location that he just got off the bus (Found between the bus station and Sukhumvit rd)

3) So now the story is why some rat faced, 63-year-old so called English teacher be traveling from Bkk to Pattaya dressed worse then some of the homeless be carrying 63k in a Brown Paper bag (I mean he's obviously not off to the realtors to put a down payment on a Condo now is he)?

4) Agree that a Thai might see it as merrit returning the money for NO reward at all but in OUR culture (if we are human) it should have been insisted that she accept more or he might have had none.

To me, these are the actions of a thief !

NOW when they say she turned it into the police, I thought that all the police were kicked out and that the Navy had taken over Pattaya but either iether her and the Police/Navy were VERY honest (Maybe that's why I'm suspicious).

Regardless, I hope visas and WP's are checked.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No your right MTH I'm confused and naive. I have just arrived and a little overwhelmed.

I mean usually I will research something before replying. So many others have drilled down to the differing amounts involved, the photo of the funds and the location of the incident. I only went on the words and photos of the initial story. in short I spoke to soon.

No your right MTH I'm confused and naive. I have just arrived and a little overwhelmed.

I mean usually I will research something before replying. So many others have drilled down to the differing amounts involved, the photo of the funds and the location of the incident. I only went on the words and photos of the initial story. in short I spoke to soon.

In a sense I did the same mistake, by shooting from the hip before I’d let your post sink in.

I definitely agree with your statement, do some research before posting.

I doubt many posters here have even read the whole news article, nor seen the picture with the cash/travelers checks on display.

++++

its most likely not 2.2m baht, look at the pic, more like 200k

the brown bag, is actually some kind of big wallet or something for personal papers, what is wrong about carrying cash in a bag like that? should he have made carried around with a hotel safe?

and also 220k, isnt that much money for a lot of people

why dont you guys take a deep breath before start bashing

It's worth remembering that all of the money may not have been his to spend. He may have had large debts, hence much of it was owed, not OWNED. Still stupid as a box of rocks for carrying it around that way. I'm fairly sure that the lady was happy with her renumeration. That's two months salary for many Thais.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What an idiot!

I wouldn't have him teaching tricks to a dog let alone English to a Thai. At 63 why isn't he retired anyway?

He might love teaching and want to feel like he is helping or feels this is an easy way to remain in Thailand. Also he might not want to retire yet.

Yes, or he might just be an idiot. The facts reported appear to support the latter theory.

As for teaching tricks to a dog, not quite the same as teaching English.

Indeed. Many English teachers here couldn't teach tricks to dogs either.

whether this man is an idiot or not for carrying around that much money.i think he would have been quite distraught at losing it.i think it does quite surprisingly speak volumes about Some Thai people, handing in that much money from a thai is staggering, and puts a lot of people to shame who stereotype all thais as being greedy,this story shows that there is some decency amongst the citizens and of all places Pattaya!Good on you lady may a thousand elephants blow in your direction!

"...this story shows that there is some decency amongst the citizens and of all places Pattaya!"

Wow. Damned by faint praise. You seem to think unless some act of decency is reported on Thai Visa it doesn't exist but that all the nastiness spewed by the malcontents on Thai Visa must have some basis in fact.

I would say there's a great deal of decency amongst the Thai citizenry and whether it's Pattaya or Chiang Mai is irrelevant. Get off the bar stool and meet Thai people that you aren't paying to be nice to you. Most really are quite nice and more that a little decent. You;ll find it a refreshing change from the chronic negativity on Thai Visa.

Including your own.

• Like 1

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

Yes I agree, it is far too little in reward. Normally at least in Sweden, it is believed that 10% is a reasonable reward.

Despite the fact that the lost money was 220,000 and not 2.2 million, what is this incessant babble about the correct percentage reward in Sweden, USA and Timbuktu all about?

This is Thailand. Giving a reward is optional, like tipping. Accepting a reward even more so.

• Like 1

I accidentally left my wallet at a small shop in Ubon a while ago, it had 30-40k in cash, ID's and credit cards including an AmEx black card you could buy a car with. I went back to pick it up and the guy wouldn't take 1 baht for taking care of it for me. I insisted he take something but he said no. My wife said to just thank him and that some people don't want to take money for just being honest and helpful.

Maybe the teacher offered her 100k but she wouldn't take it. I wouldn't take a reward for finding something and giving it back to the owner.

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

• Like 1

Greedy &lt;deleted&gt; should of give her at least £1000 I would of given her £2000 & took out all the family out for a big slap up meal.

Good on the honest lady for doing the right thing she will be rewarded in another way clap2.gif

Despite the fact that the lost money was 220,000 and not 2.2 million, what is this incessant babble about the correct percentage reward in Sweden, USA and Timbuktu all about?

This is Thailand. Giving a reward is optional, like tipping. Accepting a reward even more so.

True, many of our TV members do gladly follow the Thai practice of tipping 5 or 10 baht max.

Good News story .

But, just curious about the following:

1. Why would you carry that much Ca$h around.?

2. How could a Teacher afford to be carrying that amount around.?

coffee1.gif

Edited by Ohio