American Teacher’s 2.2 Million Baht’s worth of luck thanks to Pattaya resident

webfact

It might help if we really knew how much money was lost and found.

According to Pattaya One News the amount is 2.2 million but Pattaya Daily News have the amount at 220,000 Baht.

Looking at the pictures I can see a band of US Dollars totaling USD 2,000 (Baht 64,960), travelers cheques for USD 1,000 (Baht 32,480), a 1,000 Philippine Peso note (Baht 743) and a few 1,000 Baht notes, so for once I'm leaning towards the Pattaya Daily News report on this case.

Whichever the case, the amount is a lot of money to Khun Yupin, but there is a world of difference between 2.2 million and 220,000.

I tend to agree with you. Nothing like 2.2 mill on that table.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cheapskate. Found money reward should be a minimum of 5%.

Even if this guy cut it down to 2.5% it wouldn't be that bad.

And the police should investigate why he was carrying all that money around even Thai property deals these days take bank cashier cheques.

10,000 Baht is just a slap in the face.

I hope some of this guys buddies take him aside and talk some sense into him.

He is doing a disservice to all who may lose money in the future.

What on earth has it got to do with you how much money he has and how he decides to carry it around? And he is a teacher? facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I would think at 63 he is supposed to have some common sense, wouldn't you?

why are people calling the American a slob????? he would have been to distraught to worry about the way he looked, I would have been , 10,000 is a lot of money, you do not know what his money was for.

WHY OH WHY are there so many horrible people ready to jump on the band wagon and destroy people, yes we are all entitled to an opinion but this world would be a much better place to live in if only MAN KIND had good HEARTS.

I am so pleased the American got his money back. good luck to him,

What about some questions regarding this amount of money in cash,Where did it come from? What is it for? The BIB didnt check this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why should they, is there a limit on the amount of money an individual can have in his possession? Just because it's a lot of money to you doesn't mean it's a lot for everyone.

why are people calling the American a slob????? he would have been to distraught to worry about the way he looked, I would have been , 10,000 is a lot of money, you do not know what his money was for.

WHY OH WHY are there so many horrible people ready to jump on the band wagon and destroy people, yes we are all entitled to an opinion but this world would be a much better place to live in if only MAN KIND had good HEARTS.

I am so pleased the American got his money back. good luck to him,

Because everybody's different here and thinks for themselves, there's strength in numbers, or ignorance is bliss, it's everybody's right and you don't have to pay attention. Way down deep inside, I bet most are pleased for him too, but there's just no fun saying praise (whichever to be politically correct).

It might help if we really knew how much money was lost and found.

According to Pattaya One News the amount is 2.2 million but Pattaya Daily News have the amount at 220,000 Baht.

Looking at the pictures I can see a band of US Dollars totaling USD 2,000 (Baht 64,960), travelers cheques for USD 1,000 (Baht 32,480), a 1,000 Philippine Peso note (Baht 743) and a few 1,000 Baht notes, so for once I'm leaning towards the Pattaya Daily News report on this case.

Whichever the case, the amount is a lot of money to Khun Yupin, but there is a world of difference between 2.2 million and 220,000.

220,000 baht combined value in foreign and local currency

Wouldn't it be nice to see less posts calling the guy all kinds of nasty names and more posts calling Khun Yupin a hero for resisting what must have been a treeeeemendous temptation ?

Good news story, I hope he gave her a reward.

Did you not read the whole story, he gave her 10,000 very good of him. It is so nice to read what this lady did when you read of some of the things that go on in Pattaya, she will get good Karma.

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

biggles45, phosphorescent, pingman and 11 others like this

Anyone else here all bitter and twisted because they missed out an a free lunch?

10,000 baht for the good luck of finding this bag and turning it in to the police if pretty fair I reckon.

That's what my wife says as well. She said allot of traditional Thais would have given the reward money back saying it's reward enough just doing the right thing. I guess I still have a few things to learn.

BS, after 16 years of close by observations I say that the badly dressed American gentleman was very very very very lucky to get his bag of cash back. Your Thai wife is obviously lying to you mate. The only reason a Thai would give back the 10k reward is because they'd feel insulted for receiving such a small tip. 0.005%!! Wake up buddy and have another cup of coffee, 5555

I have to agree with what his wife says. I came home drunk one night and had dropped my wallet in the lift of our condo........hundreds of rooms in the place.

I had withdrawn 40,000 baht (oh it's not 2 million) on my way home as I need the cash.

When I woke up.......no wallet...........sick as a parrot.

2 days or maybe it was 3 day later I get a knock at the door and it's the Juristic person.

He tells me the lady in Room ** wants to see me.

I ask why he says he desn't know so I go wondering, who is this woman.

She asks me my name and if I have lost anything........I answer and she hands me my wallet with not one baht missing.

I pull 5k out and hand it to her and she totally refused to take one baht.

He daughter about 5 year old is standing in the doorway and I tried to give it to her...............mother pushed her hand away.

Maybe it is a the Thai way I don't know but that's what happened to me.

I also had a mamasan from Soi Cowboy hand me my phone wallet and keys again with nothing missing........I got drunk again LOL and started taking my clothes of to go to bed........I was still in the bar duh!!!!.

She took my wallet and phone for safekeeping and I when left she never seen my goand found my keys.

I went to Fannies bar in Cowboy for a drink and she came running across with my things.......I couldn't even remeber being in her bar........I gave her a 2k tip......she took it :0)

Different strokes for different folks but Thais, if they know you, I find are pretty honest people IMO

Edited by Tanlic

Some Profane and personal attacks have been removed also quoted replies

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

Hang on there you 'condemnists' No one knows how he came by the money, he might have borrowed it, or he might have been scrimping and saving to pay back the loan. Maybe he really has nothing and needed every penny of the amount, thus the small but appreciative reward.

To all the slobs who are "putting the boot in" Give him a go until you find out the truth, but for goodness sake, stop your small minded guessing.coffee1.gif

This is a nice story, why all those negative comments. The guy is on vacation in Pattaya, do you all dress up when you are in Pattaya? Why always all these negative comments on Thaivisa?

The lady has good karma, she is happy and he is happy, everybody is happy, not sure about the guys who write always negative on Thaivisa. Have a nice day.

• Like 2

What a cheapskate. Found money reward should be a minimum of 5%.

Even if this guy cut it down to 2.5% it wouldn't be that bad.

And the police should investigate why he was carrying all that money around even Thai property deals these days take bank cashier cheques.

10,000 Baht is just a slap in the face.

I hope some of this guys buddies take him aside and talk some sense into him.

He is doing a disservice to all who may lose money in the future.

What makes you the expert on rewards wiceman ? Mind your own business.

Circusman, what does Thai Law say about this?​

Found it in the meantime:

Section 1323. A person who finds lost property is bound:

(1) to deliver it to the loser, the owner or any other person entitled to receive it, or (2) to inform without delay to the loser, the owner or any other person entitled to receive it, or (3)
to deliver it within three days to the police or other competent official and inform them of all circumstances within his knowledge which may be material for the person who is entitled to receive it.

However, the procedure provided in sub-section 3 must be followed it the loser, owner or other person entitled to receive the property is unknown or does not take delivery of it.

In any case the property found must be kept with reasonable care until delivery.

Section 1324. A finder of lost property may claim from the person entitled to receive it a reward of ten per cent of the value of the property up to thirty thousand baht, and five per cent on the additional value. However, if he delivers the property to the police or other competent official, two and a half per cent of the value of the property shall, in addition to the reward, be paid as a fee to the Government service concerned, but, in no case, shall such fee exceed one thousand baht.

The finder is not entitled to any reward if he does not comply with the provisions of the foregoing section.

Section 1325. If the finder of lost property has complied with the provisions of Section 1323 and the person entitled to receive it has not claimed it within one year from the day of find, the ownership vested in the finder.

He drops 2.2 million bht = $67,600 in the street & only rewards the good lady with 10,000 bht = $307......tight fisted bas****. I hope he rethinks his reward & seeks out the lady to offer more

If what you say is true....this teacher needs somebody to teach him generosity and appreciation!

Edited by Rimmer

A teacher walking around with 2.2 million baht ? Maybe he is a bank robber ?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Someone should teach him how to look after his money. He also needs some fashion advice.

Agreed, he needs to learn how to take care of his stuff a lot better.

Question, how should one dress when walking around Pattaya? blink.png

Perhaps his dishevelled state has something to do with wandering around Pattaya in a panic and 40 degC looking for his money.

He is a fortunate man, I would have thought the odds of it being found by an honest person were poorer.

What an idiot!

I wouldn't have him teaching tricks to a dog let alone English to a Thai. At 63 why isn't he retired anyway?

Maybe he lost a bag full of money before, looking at his appearance. It is common to pay 10% finders fee