Philips air fryer

JesseFrank

Does anyone has one of these and want to share his experiences. My major use would be for french fries.

I have now an oil based deep fryer, which I bought from Europe, but it's quite a hassle to clean it all the time.

My biggest concern with the air fryer is that the fries will not taste the same, since there is no oil involved, and that it also requires quite some cleaning. I use the frozen fries as they are available from the supermarket.

It all looks perfect in the adverts, but the way an appliance is shown in the adverts, is usually not completely like it is in real life.

So I would like to hear your real life experiences

xl_Philips_Airfryer_3_624.jpg

My sister got one for an anniversary gift. You realize they cost almost $300.

It's so loud the neighbors bang on the wall when she uses it. All conversation must cease.

You might notice they never play the live sound track in the adverts. It's like having a blender on BUT for twelve minutes instead of 1 or 2.

Did I mention the blast of ultra hot air dehydrates the food and wrinkles it up?

Just another overpriced geegaw you will use 3 times and forget about.

Up to you.

'nuff said

~

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is like I said in the OP, in real life it's often not the same as in the adverts.

That it could make a loud noise is indeed something I even hadn't thought about, and for sure a reason to stay away from it.

Here in Thailand I've seen them for 6500 Baht, which is about the same as a decent deep fryer, but I would like to here some positive experiences before I buy one.

I went to home pro to buy a refrigerator and they were demonstrating them. Not very loud and the french fries I tasted were good. I didn't see the raw fry so can't comment on that. They had three different kinds. I'd go and look and ask them to turn one on for you. Which I'm sure would be no problem.

I agree, in a large open store environment it may give the impression that it sounds much quieter than at your home kitchen .

Anyway, I can't believe that there are no members who have personal experience with this appliance.

Of course on the giant home pro warehouse floor it won't sound so loud. If you have your kitchen outside like many Thais do maybe it won't be so bad.

'nuff said

True enough. They had three different kinds of air fryers that they were demonstrating and giving away free fries and chicken wings. The most interesting one had a revolving tray. I seem to remember a promo price between 6 and 7 thousand baht but I could be wrong. It was a couple of weeks ago.

Jesse, I thought you'd had a bad day on the spelling front and the topic was about Philips hair dryers.

I am in my room, just about to turn the lights off and stand in a corner for half an hour.......................sad.png

Sorry, don't know anything about either.

tongue.png

Jesse, I thought you'd had a bad day on the spelling front and the topic was about Philips hair dryers.

I am in my room, just about to turn the lights off and stand in a corner for half an hour.......................sad.png

Sorry, don't know anything about either.

tongue.png

Sorry I didn't know that you suffered from the floor lamp syndrome.

I bought one late last year as I couldn't find a decent western style deep fat fryer.

I used it once to cook chips made from fresh potatoes. They tasted horrible. The thing is now gathering spider webs in the dark recesses of the kitchen cupboard.

• Like 1

I bought one late last year as I couldn't find a decent western style deep fat fryer.

I used it once to cook chips made from fresh potatoes. They tasted horrible. The thing is now gathering spider webs in the dark recesses of the kitchen cupboard.

You could offer it to @JesseFrank to try out first hand.

We bought one this year from Home Pro. It was a Europen brand. It was 6000 baht but were given 2 electical appliances as well. One was a toaster and the other a blender. When frozen chips are cooked a drop of oil is used. They come out very tasty We use it for other items as well. It is a little noisey but we are happy with it.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

Recently bought a Tefal Actifry for 6k bht at Robinsons complete with giveaway electric kettle.

It makes great fries and wifey has already experimented with other recipes.

It only makes a little noise and overall it has been a very good buy.

• Like 1

We bought one this year from Home Pro. It was a Europen brand. It was 6000 baht but were given 2 electical appliances as well. One was a toaster and the other a blender. When frozen chips are cooked a drop of oil is used. They come out very tasty We use it for other items as well. It is a little noisey but we are happy with it.

I read on reviews that you have to stay with the cooking process as you have to shake them every 5 minutes, other wise they will fry uneven.

Is that correct ?

I read on reviews that you have to stay with the cooking process as you have to shake them every 5 minutes, other wise they will fry uneven.

Is that correct ?

The one we have the chips are rotated all the time.

Edit

i will post the brand and photo tomorrow for you.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

Is that correct ?

The one we have the chips are rotated all the time.

Edit

i will post the brand and photo tomorrow for you.

I look forward to the picture or the brand and model number .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Would one of them microwave-sized convection ovens be a more useful alternative, coz that's all it's doing, blowing hot air innit?

A microwave sized convection oven will be at least triple the price I guess

I have one and taste is great . HOWEVER do not waste your money on this, get the 1000 baht one, does exact same thing for 1/5 of the price
http://www.lazada.co.th/hanabishi-hco-11a-46119.html

What you picture is a halogen oven, no air involved, so different kind of animal.

Are you sure you can make frozen French fries without oil in a halogen oven ?

Would one of them microwave-sized convection ovens be a more useful alternative, coz that's all it's doing, blowing hot air innit?

A microwave sized convection oven will be at least triple the price I guess

Not so, I was looking at one a while back and it was about 9k.

Recently bought a Tefal Actifry for 6k bht at Robinsons complete with giveaway electric kettle.

It makes great fries and wifey has already experimented with other recipes.

It only makes a little noise and overall it has been a very good buy.

This what we have.

http://www.tefal.co.th/

Thanks, will look into it right away.It sounds like a better deal than the Philips, financially and in practice.

I tried the fries and was not impressed. Reminded me of old style "oven fries" from the 80 ' s. Probably better for wings.

Also consider for how many persons you cook. Our rectangular fryer takes about 2.5 ltr oil and is good for 4 portions. The air fryers I saw are maximum two portions.

Also likely not practical for spring rolls and stuff, as it lacks some fat needed for taste.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is that correct ?

This is the inside of the Tefal Actifry. Chips sit in the basket which rotates. You set the timer for 15-20 minutes and leave it to do its own thing, no shaking required.

post-41485-14011582564702_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Haogen ovens have a fan in the top. Halogen light provides the heat and the fan circulates the hot air so very similar to an air fryer. Fries can be cooked in them but not tried it myself.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

77 calories in a potato. 20 calories 1/2 tsp olive oil. Cut the potato in strips and shake in a plastic bag with the oil and seasoning and bake in an oven. About 100 calories. 1 potato made into french fries 330 calories.

Did I do the math right?

• Like 1