9 baht per unit electricity, worth fussing about?

I found new apartment that fits my needs perfectly, but the electricity rate is 9 baht per unit. I'm thinking about trying to negotiate it down, but I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, since I don't know how much a unit of electricity is. If this is one of those things that makes a $1 per month difference I probably won't even bring it up

My usage is pretty consistent each day: I always have a ceiling light on and an 18 inch fan running. My 24 inch LCD monitor and laptop are on 15 hours a day, because I work online. I do not watch TV or run the air conditioner. I use one of those big mini-fridges that are popular in apartments here.

Should I even try to negotiate the electricity down to six or seven baht per unit? Or is this a non-issue?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought condo is 4.50 (not 100% sure)

but 9 is far too much.

I have a condo, 2 people living, we cook often at home use aircon in the night and tv, laptop are running but in day time from 08.00-16.00 no one is home.

We use about 450 units per month, when I rented the place the owner wanted 7 per unit so I told him I will only rent when I pay 5, now I am happy to life there

don't sweat it... with your limited usage the difference between 8 and 9 is probably around 60 baht.... if you run air it is a different story... you should still have a bill around 500 baht or less...

4.3 Baht out here in the rice paddies, varies slightly depending on usage (variable surcharge), for private dwellings.

BUT, yes we are getting screwed in Udon Thani where we are renting an apartment for our daughter attending collage there. = About 9 baht - NOT NEGOTIABLE. We accept the pain for the proximity to the school.

he's rippin you off. youre probably only using about 300 kw-hr/month and it costs him about 3.5 baht/kw-hr

Electricity Normal Rate (Residential) Energy Charge (per kWh) Baht US$ Consumption not exceeding 150 kWh per month First 5 kWh (0 – 5th) 0 0 Next 10 kWh (6th – 15th) 1.8632 Next 10 kWh (16th – 25th) 2.5026 Next 10 kWh (26th – 35th) 2.7549 Next 65 kWh (36th – 100th) 3.1381 Next 50 kWh (101st – 150th) 3.2315 Next 250 kWh (151st – 400th) 3.7362 Over 400 kWh (401st – up)

Edited by AYJAYDEE

he's rippin you off. youre probably only using about 300 kw-hr/month and it costs him about 3.5 baht/kw-hr

Electricity Normal Rate (Residential) Energy Charge (per kWh) Baht US$ Consumption not exceeding 150 kWh per month First 5 kWh (0 – 5th) 0 0 Next 10 kWh (6th – 15th) 1.8632 Next 10 kWh (16th – 25th) 2.5026 Next 10 kWh (26th – 35th) 2.7549 Next 65 kWh (36th – 100th) 3.1381 Next 50 kWh (101st – 150th) 3.2315 Next 250 kWh (151st – 400th) 3.7362 Over 400 kWh (401st – up)

I think that those figures are misleading as they do not include the Ft charge, which ,this month was 0.69 Baht/ KWh and 7% VAT.

If the apartment block condo owns the individual meters and pays the MEA/PEA using a single overall meter then he will be on a high commercial rate.

That said 9 baht.KWh is definitely too high.

For info... 2 of our actual bills this month work out at 4.4 and 4.8 baht /KWh ( Total amount due divided by number of units, both domestic, and billed/paid direct to PEA) Difference in cost is due to number of units used.

About 8 baht the norm.

You also pay for lighting on landing and stairs ,pump for the water to get it into higher floors,security lighting outside too

The common fee covers those costs, not the individual electricity bills.

The "normal" price for electricity is around 4-5B/unit though the exact price varies according to individual circumstances.

I expect the OP's KWH usage would be about 300 KWH/mo (if that) since he's not using any A/C. Using the electric bill calculator at the MEA (Bangkok Electric Co.) website, select the Residential 1.2 rate with 69 stang current Ft rate, 300 KWH/month would cost Bt1,305/mo including all taxes/fees...and this equates to Bt4.35/KWH. And if you use a LOT more than 300KWH per month in your home like I do, the residential rate per KWH including all taxes/fee can end up around Bt4.8/KWH. PEA rates (out in the provinces) are practically the same give or take a few stang. Some landlords do like to make a profit not only on the rent they charge you but also the electric bill.

Government electric is less than 4 baht 9 baht is a rip off although I know of people paying a lot more try and negotiate for 6 baht cos sure as hell at some stage they will put the price up next year

Electricity Normal Rate (Residential) Energy Charge (per kWh) Baht US$ Consumption not exceeding 150 kWh per month First 5 kWh (0 5th) 0 0 Next 10 kWh (6th 15th) 1.8632 Next 10 kWh (16th 25th) 2.5026 Next 10 kWh (26th 35th) 2.7549 Next 65 kWh (36th 100th) 3.1381 Next 50 kWh (101st 150th) 3.2315 Next 250 kWh (151st 400th) 3.7362 Over 400 kWh (401st up)

Now get to the bit about fuel surchage.

and after that get the bit about tax

Now you have the real rate.

Edited by harrry

I was similarly caught many years ago when my then landlord insisted on THB 6 per unit when the Govt rate was THB 2.5. My average bill exceeded THB 2k per month which at the time was dearer than same @ a flat in central London. The same bloke had the gaul to charge THB 6k to install a landline (I told you it was a long time ago!) & as soon as I agreed (thinking it was coming from the phone company) he cut 30 m of surplus wire from the house next door & "plumbed it in" while pocketing the going rate with a perfectly straight face.

His face was a picture when I dropped the keys in his hand at the point of renewal...

HTH

Edited by evadgib

About 8 baht the norm.

You also pay for lighting on landing and stairs ,pump for the water to get it into higher floors,security lighting outside too

That's what rent is for.

It's illegal to add a surcharge to the price of public utilities in most countries. However it is not illegal in Thailand. Therefore, let the consumer freely accept or reject the contract.

Tell your landlotd that that you need his illegal electrical surncharge scam reduced because you use a lotta juice working online outta your flat.

There is no point in arguing.... his condo, his rule....legal or illegal, why should the OP start a renting contract already arguing?

It'd be a very bad start.

Just give up and look for another condo to rent. If you really like that condo, as previously suggested, as long as you do not use an air con your bill won't change that much.

As others said: price per kWh increases with consumption.

Prices are identical nationwide.

Typical household consumption and tariff (1.2) results in something in the range of 4.3 o 4.6 Baht/kWh.

So you are paying twice the price.

If your consumption is really that low, you probably end up paying 2000 instead of 1000.

Up to you.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The last time I checked the rate here in Bangkok (a few years ago) it was about 2.3 baht per unit. If that has changed to a higher rate, I'd like some authoratitive evidence from somebody. So far, the answers have been conflicting, to say the least.

In my apartment, when I moved in 17 years ago, the landlady charged 3 baht per unit, which was fine. Then suddenly it shot up to 5 baht a unit, but I liked the apartment and the rent level so I didn't argue. The rent and the unit price remain the same after all this time, so of course I'm still not arguing, even though monthly elec bills can nudge 5,000 baht in the hot season (I'm home nearly all the time, working most of the time, so using a lot).

But I'd stil like to be pointed at the tariffs in place by somebody who knows.

Someone asked what they do in other countries.

In Oz if they have separate metering to the apartment your contact is with the electricity company directly. If unmettered then it is a flat rate paid within the rent.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app