No Helmet? Then You're Not Going Anywhere!

george

No helmet? Then you're not going anywhere

Local inventor patents device linking ignition to headgear

BANGKOK, THAILAND: --Forget your safety helmet? Then you won't be able to start your motorcycle if you're using a newly invented device designed to promote road safety as well as deter thieves.

The new device, invented by a Rajamangala University of Technology lecturer, prevents a motorbike's engine from starting without a "signal of approval" from the helmet, which is turned on only when it is worn by the rider.

At a cost of Bt2,500 to install, careless motorcyclists might dismiss the need for the new device, as long as the helmet law continues to be ineffectively enforced by Thailand's traffic police. But given the helmet's dual role as an anti-theft device, the money could be well spent.

Inventor Damrong Sengmanee said he had registered his award-winning device for patent protection, but it has not yet been given a name.

He has sold a licence to a Honda motorcycle dealer in England for further development and possible eventual mass production in the UK.

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation, which has been campaigning on several road-safety issues, including the use of safety helmets, has provided Bt600,000 to support the production and development of the device.

It also granted an award to Damrong for his invention, which won the Bt100,000 first prize in the health-related category of Thailand's Innovation Awards.

Damrong is looking for motorcyclists who want to install the device in their helmets, at the cost of Bt2,500 each and a few hours of their time. Installation can be completed at the university's Nonthaburi campus.

"All brands of motorcycles and standard helments are acceptable," he said.

Sixty motorcyclists have also had free devices installed in their helmets as part of an evaluation test that will eventually involve 300 motorcyclists before September next year.

The device, a small sensor installed in the helmet, is linked to a receptor attached to the motorcycle's dashboard and then to the engine's ignition system.

Nirut Phram-anong, a freshman at the Nonthaburi campus who helped Damrong with the project, said there was no way a motorcycle's engine could be started without the "approval signal" from the helmet. "Unless, of course, the thieves carry away the whole motorcycle or dismantle it."

--Nation 2006-06-16

Does the helmet have to be worn to pass the signal to enable the engine to start, or just be near enough for the signal to pass? Because most bikes I see being ridden here have the helmet in the front basket or looped over the handlebars. And parked bikes very often have the helmet left with the bike.

...and for fifty baht, the kid at the local motorbike repair shop will disable/bypass the control unit on the engine for you. Next.

And at 2500Bt it's worth more than some of the bikes we are loaned by our relatives when we visit....LOL

Best way to steal a motorbikes is with a pickup, guess they don't know that one.

I could see installing that ... since my helmet is larger than most .... it would slow things down .... only problem is like an idiot ... I often fail to put mine on if not hitting a major road

<<Maybe hitting was a bit of a freudian slip>>

Edited by jdinasia

An intersection near my house always has cops checking for helmets so everyone either dodges that place or wears one. 10 meteres down the road nobody wears a helmet.

Education is what is needed.

When I was a kid I got caught riding my pushbike (Bicycle) without a helmut. I had to sit through a police video showing the aftermath of accidents where to cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet. They then showed what can happen when one does wear a helmet.

It really opened my eyes.

Is it a possibilty here?

umm...yes jd...that's the point :o if you dont have the helmet, you can't hit the road with the bike, and if you have it on (and the bike can start) it doesn't matter as much if you do "hit the road"...hehe...

I agree too - at least it may slow down thieves...that little bit of added difficulty will hopefully make them go away and steal someone elses bike...

Edited by Greer

This is all well and good but you simply can't save people from themselves,

They're pushing for mandadtory seat belt laws both nationally and locally in the west,

still it's not a matter of law, but a matter of attitude, :o

Where I live 99% of the m'cyclers take off their helmet as soon as they are outside "downtown". If the bike doesn't shut off when you take off the helmet, this "invention" is useless.

Tuky is right- education is what is needed. I have NEVER seen a helmet safety ad on Thai TV. With no education and as long as the police only enforce the laws in daylight hours, or in certain parts of town, things won't change. When I was a teenager (long time ago) in the US hardly anyone wore a helmet. Enforced laws helped, but even in states where helmets are not mandatory, most bikers now wear a helmet. Most bikers I know in the states think you're a fool to get on a bike w/o a helmet- and that includes passengers.

If the law doesn't require it in the US (it is state by state) I DON'T wear a helmet anywhere except in the city. I ALWAYS wear eye protection whether req'd or not ...

My reasons for not wearing a helmet on a big bike at highway speeds are reduced visibility ... reduced aural acuity (hearing) and hel_l ... reduced FUN ...

Pop the noggin on the pavement at 75 miles an hour and you don't WANT to live through it :o

Helmets do not reduce visibility, unless you're wearing the wrong helmet., or wearing the helmet wrong. I only see from one side, and have had some amazing crashes on my full face helmets, and the crashes were not caused by failing to see anything.

It costs 2,500 baht to buy and install this gem of an invention? What percent of Thais spend over 500 baht for their helmet?

Assuming that you wear it, your head and brain are worth no more than what you pay for the helmet.

Broke 2 bike helmets in my day. You never know when you will need one.

That said, I also rolled an ATV and ended up with a open skull fracture. I got lucky and had a full revovery.... I did not have a helmet on that day. I suspect things would have turned out much better if I had.

I spent 5 yrs working as a medic on a tourist island in Thailand,With no drs and sea state stopping evacuations at least 3mths of the year.

Seen drownings from people who forgot that they cannot swim while on Holiday.

But the biggest waste of life is f%^&^&wits that dont wear helmets especially after a few beers.

Personally im sick of phoneing embassies and dealing with families whos son or daughter are dead,Due to the im on holiday it wont happen to me attitude.I dont need a helmet etc.

The average age of the kids that are dead is 24 yrs old what a fu76757g waste.

People seem to flout these laws as they are not enforced in LOS,however the physics of head hitting concrete rocks taxis remains the same.

The last fatal I dealt with a 22yr old Swedish girl had one impact from a low speed tumble.Yup a blow to the temple 100% a helmet would of saved her.

My point ANYTHING that forces or encourages helmet use is great. P

Yup I wear a helmet as do all of my staff Thais included we get people take the pi34s!!

So if you are one of these people who goes without dont be surprised if the medical staff have little sympathy for you.

If you are one of these people that ride around with your precious child on your bike ( no Helmet) stop being so Fuc^%6g selfish,There is only one thing worse than being killed from a Bike induced accident thats surrving it as a dribbling mess that cant move.

The only living thing that beneifits from non helmet wearers is ANTS,they love to run of down the road with bits of grey matter at the scene.

sorry all end of rant. :o