3bb Puzzling Problem

khastan

3bb tech's came today. The problem was that some idiot cut the line on Friday and it would seem that they had not joined it properly so they tried again today. Now my speeds are maximum 5Mbps d/l and 1 Mbps u/l and he said that that is the correct speed for my package. He said that the d/l speeds of up to 13 was a mistake by 3bb and has now been corrected. I strongly suspect that without my knowledge I was converted to the normal package not the premier for some reason..

You mentioned in your opening post you had the premier package and have had it for 6 years...and above you mention you now have 5Mb down/1Mb up. According to the 3bb webpage the Premier package is a 5Mb/1Mb plan at Bt2,500/mo.

It's a pity 3BB don't use telephone lines for their service. When I had other ISPs that used the telephone line you could simply listen to the line to hear if there was a problem.

Why listen to the handset? I use the ADSL diagnostics of my router to read out the attenuation. After the relocation of the line it went from 58dB to 6dB down.

Because it's quick and easy. And if there IS noise you can call the ISP using that line and say "Hear that? That's why I can't connect at high speed." And they can't argue.

If you talk about diagnostics to them, you may be talking to someone who doesn't understand what that is or to someone who says that you need to change your router or check your connection, etc.

I had a noisy line some years ago and they couldn't argue about it. I've also has shower heaters interfere with ADSL lines - they produced a buzzing noise on my speakers and my speed dropped from ~11 Mbps to ~2 . Once I realised the problem occurred only when my g/f was getting ready for bed, I realised the source. Still took a long time to fix - had to get an earthing pole hammered into the ground and one side of the telephone line connected to it.

Having a good quality UPS also helps.

3bb tech's came today. The problem was that some idiot cut the line on Friday and it would seem that they had not joined it properly so they tried again today. Now my speeds are maximum 5Mbps d/l and 1 Mbps u/l and he said that that is the correct speed for my package. He said that the d/l speeds of up to 13 was a mistake by 3bb and has now been corrected. I strongly suspect that without my knowledge I was converted to the normal package not the premier for some reason..

You mentioned in your opening post you had the premier package and have had it for 6 years...and above you mention you now have 5Mb down/1Mb up. According to the 3bb webpage the Premier package is a 5Mb/1Mb plan at Bt2,500/mo.

That's a lot to pay for good international speeds, which is what the Premier package is for, if I recall correctly.

So it looks like he WAS changed to a normal fast package with lousy (1.5Mbps ?) international speed. Now he's back on 5/1Mbps Premier (which I thought they'd discontinued ages ago.)

On Monday a massive lightening strike hit right near me and knocked out my internet. I tried 3bb call centre a dozen times over the next two days, but they didn't bother to ring me back, the sods. I went to their office Tues and again today. They just told me to wait for the tech. Finally at 5pm the techs called and came around. Same two guys as came before. Nice guys. They tested and said it was my router. So I went to Tukcom and bought a new TP Link router and installed it, but zilch. I can connect to TP's site (192.168.1.1) but I can't find my 3bb account. But because 3bb call centre refuses to talk to me (jeez, even drunks in a bar talk to me, so what's their problem?), I'm now at a loss. BTW, posting this from a bar using my ipad.

On Monday a massive lightening strike hit right near me and knocked out my internet. I tried 3bb call centre a dozen times over the next two days, but they didn't bother to ring me back, the sods. I went to their office Tues and again today. They just told me to wait for the tech. Finally at 5pm the techs called and came around. Same two guys as came before. Nice guys. They tested and said it was my router. So I went to Tukcom and bought a new TP Link router and installed it, but zilch. I can connect to TP's site (192.168.1.1) but I can't find my 3bb account. But because 3bb call centre refuses to talk to me (jeez, even drunks in a bar talk to me, so what's their problem?), I'm now at a loss. BTW, posting this from a bar using my ipad.

You are not actually reaching TP's website as 192.168.1.1 is just the routers IP address on your "local/in-home" network. The 192.168.1.1 is the usual address for accessing the router's firmware/setup menu.

You are not actually reaching TP's website as 192.168.1.1 is just the routers IP address on your "local/in-home" network. The 192.168.1.1 is the usual address for accessing the router's firmware/setup menu.

Thanks for that. But does it indicate that my internet connection is ok? And that I'm just hamfisted about digging up my 3bb connection (done it before, so don't know why this time)?

Thanks for that. But does it indicate that my internet connection is ok? And that I'm just hamfisted about digging up my 3bb connection (done it before, so don't know why this time)?

If you can't reach website like CNN, ThaiVisa, Bangkok Post, etc., then you don't have an internet connection. Sounds like you just have a connection between your computer and the router....but the router has no IP connection to the internet. Assuming you have a DSL modem you will need to set it up to work with the 3bb network like entering your 3bb user id, password, along with some other settings, etc., to make your 3bb connection work. If you don't know how to do this or don't know your user id/password, then it time to call 3bb for assistance.

If you can't reach website like CNN, ThaiVisa, Bangkok Post, etc., then you don't have an internet connection. Sounds like you just have a connection between your computer and the router....but the router has no IP connection to the internet. Assuming you have a DSL modem you will need to set it up to work with the 3bb network like entering your 3bb user id, password, along with some other settings, etc., to make your 3bb connection work. If you don't know how to do this or don't know your user id/password, then it time to call 3bb for assistance.

Very grateful for your help. But as you will see in my original post, the 3bb call centre is not functioining - it's like they've all deserted their posts. I'm like a piece of pork in a vegeterian's stew - totally unwanted. I'll try again tomorrow, meantime enjoy another beer before the curfew. Thanks again.

It's a pity 3BB don't use telephone lines for their service. When I had other ISPs that used the telephone line you could simply listen to the line to hear if there was a problem.

Why listen to the handset? I use the ADSL diagnostics of my router to read out the attenuation. After the relocation of the line it went from 58dB to 6dB down.

Because it's quick and easy. And if there IS noise you can call the ISP using that line and say "Hear that? That's why I can't connect at high speed." And they can't argue.

If you talk about diagnostics to them, you may be talking to someone who doesn't understand what that is or to someone who says that you need to change your router or check your connection, etc.

I had a noisy line some years ago and they couldn't argue about it. I've also has shower heaters interfere with ADSL lines - they produced a buzzing noise on my speakers and my speed dropped from ~11 Mbps to ~2 . Once I realised the problem occurred only when my g/f was getting ready for bed, I realised the source. Still took a long time to fix - had to get an earthing pole hammered into the ground and one side of the telephone line connected to it.

Having a good quality UPS also helps.

I used the diagnostics to print them out and supply 3BB with the results. And more: I do not have a handset for the land line. Sorry!

[...] I went to Tukcom and bought a new TP Link router and installed it, but zilch. I can connect to TP's site (192.168.1.1) but I can't find my 3bb account. But because 3bb call centre refuses to talk to me (jeez, even drunks in a bar talk to me, so what's their problem?), I'm now at a loss. BTW, posting this from a bar using my ipad.

The new modem needs to be configured (using the 192.168.1.1) with your account info and PVC-0 set to VPI/VCI of 0/33 in order to connect to the Internet.

Can you still connect to 192.168.1.1 on your old modem to read the configuration?

If it was the same model as before you might be able to SAVE the configuration to your computer and then RESTORE it to the replacement.

If not the same model then you, or someone, will need to configure the box.

Another option: IF your new modem/router supports TR069 you can select that in one of the pull-down connection menus and it will attempt to fetch the correct configuration info automagically. Sometimes it even works.

That's a lot to pay for good international speeds, which is what the Premier package is for, if I recall correctly.

So it looks like he WAS changed to a normal fast package with lousy (1.5Mbps ?) international speed. Now he's back on 5/1Mbps Premier (which I thought they'd discontinued ages ago.)

To be honest I have no idea. I only know it works much better now (fingers crossed) than it did when I had the fast download speed. What I have noticed since they fixed the wire is that if I d/l a torrent of up to 500mb, which appears to be the limit of d/l speed now and I try to access another website it now opens quickly with no problem. Although before I had much faster download speeds of over 900mb it would not open another website at the same time, nor could the missus use her computer to surf the net but she can now. All this leads me to think either that I have had a faulty connection for years ie cut cable or that the Premier connection is better than the normal connection for foreign websites after all.