Ram For Macs

deanow

If it uses the same memory type as the new IMAC intel duo core (it think it does) you would need to check to be sure.

I have a 1gb Module I wish to sell and could EMS it to you in koh samui if you western union the funds. I sold the imac to another user on thai visa and have 1 module left that he didnt want.

Thanks

D.

Does anyone know where I can some RAM for my new Apple Macbook. I am in Koh Samui but if there is an online shop in English I could order and have it delivered.

You can get the memory specs from Crucial.com; don't know about ordering online, but you want:

DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V

They have a list price of $177 for a 1GB module.

I would be surprised if it was the same one as the iMac, but you can check that for yourself.

Just checked on crucial.com.

It is the same spec as the Imac intel duo as the macbook and also the macbook pro.

I guess that makes sense since all 3 machines use the same intel chipset and also the same cpu's.

I will sell the 1gb module for 5000 baht including shipping.

Cheers.

You can get the memory specs from Crucial.com; don't know about ordering online, but you want:

I would be surprised if it was the same one as the iMac, but you can check that for yourself.

There is an Apple dealer here in CM.

I went there today to check about RAM for myself.

It was approx 4000 baht for a 512 chip and a bit under 8000 for a 1 gig chip.

I believe they are different from the previous range of chips which worked OK unbalanced. I have seen it written, and it seemed authoritatively, that they work MUCH better in matched pairs, ie 512 + 512, or 1 gig + 1 gig, than say 256 + 1 gig. Can't guarantee it.

Do the cut price US suppliers send here? Anyone have experience? How does the Macbook run with just the 512 total? Does Parallel run OK? I don't like the idea of having to restart and use Bootcamp just to do a quick job in Windows.

cheers Sleepyjohn

I would interested but can you please confirm what the RAM is i.e the model number etc so I can check for myself that it will work. Many Thanks

It is the same spec as the Imac intel duo as the macbook and also the macbook pro.

I guess that makes sense since all 3 machines use the same intel chipset and also the same cpu's.

Cheers.

The ram is DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V

as provided for the macbook at crucial.com and also www.owc.com

cheers

D.

I would interested but can you please confirm what the RAM is i.e the model number etc so I can check for myself that it will work. Many Thanks

Cheers.

I had this problem a month ago.

I wanted 1Gb for my HP NX8220 Intel notebook.

My local shop quoted me for a DIM listed as being for MAC.

The web confirmed the DIM was for MAC.

When I queried it, they said don't worry, it will work.

It does!!

It was Kingston and cost $137.

Sorry I canot locate the part number.

How does the Macbook run with just the 512 total?

I have 1GB in my MacBook Pro (single bank), and no complaints. The biggest issue I have had as far as speed goes is that Rosetta (for non-universal binaries) is a bit on the slow side with very large files.

Does Parallel run OK? I don't like the idea of having to restart and use Bootcamp just to do a quick job in Windows.

I have no problems with Parallels myself, using AutoCAD on some fairly large files. I don't use it for much else. If you play graphics-intensive games, it won't work (doesn't have access to the 3D acceleration).

Personally, I see Boot Camp as a last-ditch effort - I know I can go that route if I have to-- insurance of sorts. Parallels maintains much better flexibility.

How does the Macbook run with just the 512 total?

I have 1GB in my MacBook Pro (single bank), and no complaints. The biggest issue I have had as far as speed goes is that Rosetta (for non-universal binaries) is a bit on the slow side with very large files.

Does Parallel run OK? I don't like the idea of having to restart and use Bootcamp just to do a quick job in Windows.

I have no problems with Parallels myself, using AutoCAD on some fairly large files. I don't use it for much else. If you play graphics-intensive games, it won't work (doesn't have access to the 3D acceleration).

Personally, I see Boot Camp as a last-ditch effort - I know I can go that route if I have to-- insurance of sorts. Parallels maintains much better flexibility.

Thankyou TJO O

I actually emailed Pichak at Apple Chiangmai yesterday to ask if I could get a new Macbook ready loaded with extra RAM without having to throw away the 256s. Apple Store US does this and gives 2 x 512 for $100 extra. Well it wasn't quite that good but he did say if I bought the book from him he'd charge me 6000 baht which I think I'll go with.

Wait though...you say you have 1 gig single bank....does that mean one slot is empty? Can it run like that?

Wait though...you say you have 1 gig single bank....does that mean one slot is empty? Can it run like that?

Don't know if it is just the MacBook Pro that doesn't require matched banks, or if an empty bank is OK vs. a bank of different size.

I read once that having two DIMMs basically doubles memory speed for shared video memory access. I can't put my finger on the article, but this could make sense because the MBP has dedicated graphics.

Hope it helps, and good luck with your purchase!