Royal Thai Police to undergo major reform

webfact

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they really want a reform, then they should start building a system with absolute transparency on spending, income and hireing routines on all employees and departments from the bottom all the way to the top. It would be harsh, but the corruption is real and a problem, from the coffee money that the low ranks take, via organized extortion by more high ranking officers, to the cut taken from various sources that is rumored to take place all the way to the top. Hireing and promotions should come from standardized routines, not from someones uncle writing a letter of recomendation to an old class buddy.

And while the army is in charge, maybe a similar reform could be undertaken there?

I don't think regaining its image would be what the public wants. It needs to revamp its image. And somehow, having ministry and internal in its title doesn't engender confidence. Though, as a prefix for Thai entities, the acronym has a lot going for it.

the Royal Thai Police will be called the Ministry of Internal Safety

Maybe "Ministry of Internal Security" would be better, or would that sound just a tad too much like a dictatorship?

Not necessarily. Have you ever heard the term "police state"?

Is it similar to "state police "?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First off, I think that most of us here on TV support what the general is trying to do. It has only been a week, so lets cut the man some slack. At the moment he has quite a few irons in the fire and is having to shuffle them around constantly. The man has done more in 1 week than I have seen in the 10 years I have been here, I applaud you sir. We have our tv's back working for the most part, while the internet is slow and some sites not available, it has not stopped. We all like to live our lives as we see fit, but we made the decision to live in Thailand, so we should accept the curfew for the little while it is in force.

We all have our ideas about what needs to be done, but lets cut the man some slack.

Not criticizing, but what exactly has he done so far?

Unless you are applauding cutting media outlets etc

1). So far, he has removed the entire political teams due to the problems they have caused throughout the country and that appears to be a sensible activity.

2). The media outlets were cut off because many of them were controlled by the removed politicians

hence the closure.

If they actually paid the police a decent wage, supplied them with vehicles (and gas money, many cops pay for their own gas to get to assignments!), and created an atmosphere of service to the country, then, and only then, would they ever expect to see some reform.

The majority of cops want to give service to their fellow Thais, but under the current structure it is impossible. You cannot expect current Thai police to take a stand and move beyond the corruption when on their salary they can't even afford to pay their kids school fees.

I disagree that the majority of police want to give service to their fellow Thais. I think the majority of Thai police want the cash they'll make through corruption plus the power that comes with their authority.

I was of the impression that the Thai government covered government employees children's basic educations. The private schools I've visited are full of children of RR employees, police and school teachers . . . the public schools had children of a few school teachers but I never saw any children of Thai police or RR employees in a public school and why should they be if the government is covering the tuition to attend a private school. And maybe I've been misinformed regarding the Thai government covering government empoyees children basic education costs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Reform Police? Gee, here's a idea for you. Fire ALL of them, let troops take over for a while. Bring in REAL police from, oh, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, places like that, have them train all new recruits on what it really means to be a cop and how to do the job they are supposed to. Then give them a raise so they can make a decent living. Also institute a law that ANY RTP caught asking for, or taking a bribe, is fired immediately and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

You'd find that acceptable in America would you? Having the troops police the streets? Bringing in foreign police officers?

Of course you wouldn't. so why suggest something like that for Thailand?

The police are corrupt and need reforming, but not by a military junta that is maintaining power by force and has no democratic legitimacy.

I've been around, worked on every continent, Thai police is one of the best I had to deal with. As far as I'm concerned they are doing a good job.

shock1.gif

Ahhh you're been a bit sarcastic

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually not at all.

Clearly if you meet the police in a residential area or in a touristic area, they will have a different attitude. Now if it is a place well known for prostitution and drug business, what do you expect ? If you have friends in the force, you know their job is not easy.

Saying their job is "not easy" and saying they are the best in the world is not the same conversation. Now that you have defended your first post makes you look even worse. Should have let people believe you were joking

• Like 1

Reform Police? Gee, here's a idea for you. Fire ALL of them, let troops take over for a while. Bring in REAL police from, oh, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, places like that, have them train all new recruits on what it really means to be a cop and how to do the job they are supposed to. Then give them a raise so they can make a decent living. Also institute a law that ANY RTP caught asking for, or taking a bribe, is fired immediately and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

You'd find that acceptable in America would you? Having the troops police the streets? Bringing in foreign police officers?

The police are corrupt and need reforming, but not by a military junta that is maintaining power by force and has no democratic legitimacy.

So who else will do it?

• Like 1

I did wonder why the police were working so hard today. In 20km of Bangkok I passed at least 5 policemen trying to constructively motivate (that's what I call it) traffic and 2 roadblocks where they were ensuring people had the right paper-work in their wallets.

I wish our new leaders much luck with this task. I fear they might want to also try to herd cats and roll jelly uphill.

Interesting, I noticed the same as you did. The police seem to do what they should have been doing (police work). This tells me at least one thing, and that is that they are aware that they know how they should be doing their job correctly, this is a refreshment for the time being and maybe a promise for a better future in Thailand.

Train them on policing, starting with traffic. No kids on motor bikes, all to be licenced and teach road rules.

So who else will do it?

Would you trust the Bonanno family to reform the Colombo Family? for the good of the country.

"Reform". Is that what they are calling it? wink.png

Money is the issue, pay them better and put high penalties for corruption, it may work but I thing is too deeply rooted and will take years to have any effect

So who else will do it?

Millwall you are full of what hit the padlom here in Thailand.

I did wonder why the police were working so hard today. In 20km of Bangkok I passed at least 5 policemen trying to constructively motivate (that's what I call it) traffic and 2 roadblocks where they were ensuring people had the right paper-work in their wallets.

I wish our new leaders much luck with this task. I fear they might want to also try to herd cats and roll jelly uphill.

Interesting, I noticed the same as you did. The police seem to do what they should have been doing (police work). This tells me at least one thing, and that is that they are aware that they know how they should be doing their job correctly, this is a refreshment for the time being and maybe a promise for a better future in Thailand.

I think you'll find that draftvader was being sarcastic. The right paperwork is brown notes. Or were you being sarcastic too?

"Reform". Is that what they are calling it? wink.png

Money is the issue, pay them better and put high penalties for corruption, it may work but I thing is too deeply rooted and will take years to have any effect

Eeeeeeeer, folk are being paid, thats why they signed up for the job. Taking money from folk under the table is another thing don't you think.

I see zillions of folk breaking the law every day cos there is NO BiB.............BiB can make bundles of cash if they go out there, but they don't want to go out there, they want to do their own thing and those who control don't control..........

UNtil the police are paid a good wage, nothing is going to happen. Pay them high but be ruthless, sack any found to be corrupt in any way. They will soon learn to value their jobs. No second chances, and ban the system of buying promotion and postings. Anyone found to be doing this, immediate dismissal. These old ways have to stop. Good wages and instant dismissal will go a long way to sort the police out.

Hong Kong police force has gone from one of the most corrupt in the world, to one of the cleanest. Singapore is also pretty faultless. It can be done with the right strategy.

hong kong had to disband the complete police force but offered amnesty to those who owned up to their crimes after which they were told they might be considered to rejoin the force again,

Those who did,nt own up to their crimes would face heavy prison time and loss of assets.

If they want a professional police force they (government) need to treat them like one.. provide uniforms, vehicles and hand guns (currently they buy their own, except special cases highway patrol cars etc) also a more reasonable wage ONLY then could you plausible stop corruption in the force.

You haven't mentioned the huge "membership fee" either for new recruits.

New recruits should have to go through a central training college, do away with regional recruiting. All applicants to be processed by the training college. Then no recruit will be able to buy his job.

If they want a professional police force they (government) need to treat them like one.. provide uniforms, vehicles and hand guns (currently they buy their own, except special cases highway patrol cars etc) also a more reasonable wage ONLY then could you plausible stop corruption in the force.

You haven't mentioned the huge "membership fee" either for new recruits.

New recruits should have to go through a central training college, do away with regional recruiting. All applicants to be processed by the training college. Then no recruit will be able to buy his job.

In fairness to them, they have recently clamped down on the entrance testing to avoid cheating, and recently threw out the entire results of the first round in Nakhon Ratchasima province, and started again. So, they have been coming under increasing scrutiny, but obviously not enough.

• Like 1

1. Pay police a decent wage.

2. Supply all their equipment and uniform, instead of making them buy their own.

3. Stop the practice of buying promotions and promote on merit only.

4. Stop using transfers as punishment. Start using dismissals and court action.

5. Give all policeman clearly displayed badges with name AND number.

6. Set up a robust Internal Affairs department and encourage the public to report wrong-doing to an action line.

7. Sent fast-track personnel for specialized training in Western countries.

Yes to all this plus do not allow any policeman to remain at one station for too long, maybe 2 years in one post.

I've been around, worked on every continent, Thai police is one of the best I had to deal with. As far as I'm concerned they are doing a good job.

I've worked on almost all continents and Thai police are nowhere near the top. The continent I missed working on was Antarctica. How was it?

• Like 1

Who are richer the "higher ups" in the armed forces or the police?

From what I can can tell both have more money than 99% of their counter parts serving in first world countries. If it were up to me I would sack anyone that had more than 1 million bath in the bank as it is impossible to become that wealthy without corruption.

It is important to just start with police reform. When they are running straight, then there will be a weapon to start reforming the army...............RTP first.

Real Police...Korea... You must be joking... right? w00t.gif