Royal Thai Police to undergo major reform

webfact

This maybe a big lifetime opportunity to reform the Royal thai Police but I am putting my fingers crossed. There is no shame of duplicating a good system of another country if the Thai authority is serious about this reform. My main concern is the ordinary people along the streets whereby they have been harassed by these protectors of the rich for generations. A good start would be to seek assistance from the Singapore Police Force.

• Like 1

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want a professional police force they (government) need to treat them like one.. provide uniforms, vehicles and hand guns (currently they buy their own, except special cases highway patrol cars etc) also a more reasonable wage ONLY then could you plausible stop corruption in the force.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You haven't mentioned the huge "membership fee" either for new recruits.

New recruits should have to go through a central training college, do away with regional recruiting. All applicants to be processed by the training college. Then no recruit will be able to buy his job.

Umm I think they do already .. Samphran Police Academy.

Reform Police? Gee, here's a idea for you. Fire ALL of them, let troops take over for a while. Bring in REAL police from, oh, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, places like that, have them train all new recruits on what it really means to be a cop and how to do the job they are supposed to. Then give them a raise so they can make a decent living. Also institute a law that ANY RTP caught asking for, or taking a bribe, is fired immediately and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

You'd find that acceptable in America would you? Having the troops police the streets? Bringing in foreign police officers?

Of course you wouldn't. so why suggest something like that for Thailand?

The police are corrupt and need reforming, but not by a military junta that is maintaining power by force and has no democratic legitimacy.

So who else will do it?

Would you trust the Bonanno family to reform the Colombo Family? for the good of the country.

I have no idea what your talking about. And can't be arsed Googling.

First off, I think that most of us here on TV support what the general is trying to do. It has only been a week, so lets cut the man some slack. At the moment he has quite a few irons in the fire and is having to shuffle them around constantly. The man has done more in 1 week than I have seen in the 10 years I have been here, I applaud you sir. We have our tv's back working for the most part, while the internet is slow and some sites not available, it has not stopped. We all like to live our lives as we see fit, but we made the decision to live in Thailand, so we should accept the curfew for the little while it is in force.

We all have our ideas about what needs to be done, but lets cut the man some slack.

Not criticizing, but what exactly has he done so far?

Unless you are applauding cutting media outlets etc

If you don't know there's no point telling ya..

Actually there is.

I haven't seen anyone applauding cutting media outlets and most of the main ones have been restored.

1. No large groups of protestors on the streets.

2. Actually gone after violent killers (& caught some of them) that CAPO and the police refused to do.

3. Removed Thaksin shoe-horned biased and corrupt police.

4. Abolished the finger-pointing and peace-destroying CAPO and removed the chameleon head of DSI.

5. Allowed some newly appointed top police to at least start a reform process.

6. Very quickly started paying the unpaid farmers.

7. Sent a middle-finger message to western hypocrites who only selectively support and instigate coups.

All in a week.

Oi ! you forgot to mention, that he removed the Fascist Suthep, the mouth from the south who the police were completely unable to control. All his thugs are off the streets, a job well done thumbsup.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

This is great news, and something I saw coming. Be interesting to see the outcome

of the reform . Do not think it is possible to make them worse, so I look forward to

a positive result.

The police have always been solidly behind Thaksin as his sort of strong man

on the ground here .I suspect the military clipping the wings of the police is just

another in the many moves to rid Thailand of the Thaksin cancer...

You are making a very good point. I think nobody in the military gives a flying "you know what" about police corruption. They are regarded as supporters of Thaksin the Horrible. So, they must go. In addition, as a few people said here before, it tames the competition.

Please correct me, if I am wrong: you also do not care about police corruption as long as it does not benefit "the wrong people"?

I read the foreigner posts and hang my head in shame.

The only word I can think of is "collaborators".

Are you a supporter of corruption in the name of "democracy"?

I'm a supporter of "Kissing the jackboots of your oppressors does nobody any good"

But it seems many foreigners have failed to learn from their own history, and are condemning Thailand to repeat it.

• Like 1

Did I miss that? Was that in the news somewhere? The first Farmers actually hold money in their hands????????????

If they want a professional police force they (government) need to treat them like one.. provide uniforms, vehicles and hand guns (currently they buy their own, except special cases highway patrol cars etc) also a more reasonable wage ONLY then could you plausible stop corruption in the force.

You haven't mentioned the huge "membership fee" either for new recruits.

New recruits should have to go through a central training college, do away with regional recruiting. All applicants to be processed by the training college. Then no recruit will be able to buy his job.

Umm I think they do already .. Samphran Police Academy.

Do they have to go there for recruitment, or can they join with help from their regional police commander ? Just wondering. If its regional, then money will be involved for sure.sad.png

Reminds me of the joke where a Thai father asked his 10 yr old son what he wanted to be when he grows up. "A policeman!" the boy replies. Father smiles and says to the son: "I think it's great that you want to be an upstanding part of the society and contribute to their safety and well being." The boy looks at his father strangely and finally says: "What are you rambling about? I'm going for the money. Everyone knows that if you're a cop, you retire as a millionaire."

• Like 1

Not criticizing, but what exactly has he done so far?

Unless you are applauding cutting media outlets etc

If you don't know there's no point telling ya..

Actually there is.

I haven't seen anyone applauding cutting media outlets and most of the main ones have been restored.

1. No large groups of protestors on the streets.

2. Actually gone after violent killers (& caught some of them) that CAPO and the police refused to do.

3. Removed Thaksin shoe-horned biased and corrupt police.

4. Abolished the finger-pointing and peace-destroying CAPO and removed the chameleon head of DSI.

5. Allowed some newly appointed top police to at least start a reform process.

7. Sent a middle-finger message to western hypocrites who only selectively support and instigate coups.

All in a week.

Oi ! you forgot to mention, that he removed the Fascist Suthep, the mouth from the south who the police were completely unable to control. All his thugs are off the streets, a job well done thumbsup.gif

Did you miss item 1: protestors off the streets?

I don't have to use stupid names to call any protestors, thugs or otherwise in all camps.

• Like 1

Did I miss that? Was that in the news somewhere? The first Farmers actually hold money in their hands????????????

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729233-thai-rice-farmers-rejoice-after-junta-head-orders-immediate-cash-payment/?utm_source=newsletter-20140526-1527&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

1. Pay police a decent wage.

2. Supply all their equipment and uniform, instead of making them buy their own.

3. Stop the practice of buying promotions and promote on merit only.

4. Stop using transfers as punishment. Start using dismissals and court action.

5. Give all policeman clearly displayed badges with name AND number.

6. Set up a robust Internal Affairs department and encourage the public to report wrong-doing to an action line.

7. Sent fast-track personnel for specialized training in Western countries.

Yes to all this plus do not allow any policeman to remain at one station for too long, maybe 2 years in one post.

Late 90's an international company was commissioned to make recommendations into how to improve the Thai police force. I looked for the source, but couldn't find it (it was a long time ago)... but I remember the gist of the key recommendations. At the time I think there were in the vicinity of 300,000 police (a huge number)... the first point was reduction in size by more than 2 thirds, down to 70,000. Secondly, endeavour to draft and train degree level police members. The principle being that, they would be better paid, (because of the shedding of the 230,000 other bums), and that those of education are less likely to be corrupted. And although this is not always true, as a general rule it holds up.

So there were the 2 main points. Fewer, smarter cops with degrees, who could communicate with the people like adults, and be trusted by the people, and improve the systems and generally stop the crime/accident before it happens, rather than just picking up the spoils of someone else's grief, like they do now... (as it is now, and in very simple terms, "crime pays in Thailand")

• Like 2

Reform Police? Gee, here's a idea for you. Fire ALL of them, let troops take over for a while. Bring in REAL police from, oh, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, places like that, have them train all new recruits on what it really means to be a cop and how to do the job they are supposed to. Then give them a raise so they can make a decent living. Also institute a law that ANY RTP caught asking for, or taking a bribe, is fired immediately and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Further to that, make all police accountable for false arrest, illegal apprehension, assault etc. Ensure they respond appropriately to call-outs.

Will that mean you can't buy your promotion and will have to earn it on merit? You will actually have to be professional and corruption free? That is great news and I hope the military apply the same reforms to themselves and lets not forget the courts and judges buying their positions also.

• Like 2

Do they have to go there for recruitment, or can they join with help from their regional police commander ? Just wondering. If its regional, then money will be involved for sure.sad.png

Organizational reform alone won't do it. There is always the chance to make some money. I remember a case in the Afghanistan when a teacher at the Police Academy sold the final exams to his recruits (The questions were impossible to answer without knowing the answers in advance).

The first step must be to guarantee a decent living for police officers. Otherwise, what are they supposed to do? They must take a second or third job or they take bribes.

Btw. I remember vaguely that Thaksin (yes, THE Thaksin) once said in a public speech that, if they want the police not to be corrupt, they will have to pay them more money. What I found interesting was that no politician picked up that line and started a public discussion (what would have been done in any western country). Seems that nobody saw the need to change anything.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729233-thai-rice-farmers-rejoice-after-junta-head-orders-immediate-cash-payment/?utm_source=newsletter-20140526-1527&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Thanks for the link!

(still wondering though, why it worked the years before but not his year, anyway, different topic)

Whatever structure they propose it will be the same crookes police on the streets extorting money from the average joe.

As for the acting commisionera comment about making the police free from government influence? His idea is a joke in itself. Politicians and police dont have a common goal. Unless of course he is talkinf about taking money from the people to benefit themselves.

True the police have a job to do by enforcing laws. This in itself if done legally and without briberies, payoffs, and extortion. The politicians job of ensuring peace is througj making laws and improving peoples lives. As shown in the past even recent past the police follow blindly what a politician says without regard to their real job of catching bad guys and law breakers. Instead it took an Army to help them do in days what they failed or didnt want to do in months. Finding the bombers and shooters who killed those kids. Should they make the RTP a ministry is an invitation for the politicians to take control of the polices actions. This is not reform. This is an opportunity for any Gov to dictate who the police should go after.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

no-one would deny that the police need reforming, but isn't this is just the army clearing away opposition?

Army has no opposition. Good thing is we all agree the police force is mess and it needs to change. Lets be positive. It can't get worse imo.

I did wonder why the police were working so hard today. In 20km of Bangkok I passed at least 5 policemen trying to constructively motivate (that's what I call it) traffic and 2 roadblocks where they were ensuring people had the right paper-work in their wallets.

I wish our new leaders much luck with this task. I fear they might want to also try to herd cats and roll jelly uphill.

And since the coup, less evidence of cops collecting tea-money sorry, doing rego & safety checks, on the stretch of 311 that they usually haunt daily.

IF and that is a mighty big if, the Generals can shape the RTP into a modern police force between now and the next election (should give them some time whistling.gif ) with merit based promotion and maintained professional standards, they will have done the Thai populace a huge service.

Come on, someone tell me I'm dreaming.

Definitely dreaming: Sorry.!!

Will those who wish to remain in leadership have to disavow their patron saint who's currently on holiday in the middle east?

Anyone who has ever been overseas to meet with Dear Leader for any reason since he became exiled should be first out the door. (or talked on phone or skype to him.)

Not only the Royal Thai Army but also the entire armed forces, security agencies, independence agencies, judicial system, privy council, and the senate so that they are freed from political intervention. They are supposed be neutral.

Huh??? You were all Pro government until about, oh, one week ago. What happened?

This announcement is wonderful news. The cities and provinces have had little influence or control over the police forces under the centralized RTP.

The police appear to be free agents, with little regard for local government and certainly no fear of being held accountable by the very people they are supposed to be serving.

As for the naysayers. They were criticizing the RTP before the coup and most likely will continue their negativity with any changes that take place. Their lot seems to reside in a house built of discontent, ill will and pessimism.

Edited by Benmart