Royal Thai Police to undergo major reform

webfact

Does that mean an internal affairs department ? Corruption has to be stopped in order for the police to ever gain the respect of the Thai people. Clears lines need to be set regarding what is acceptable and what is not and the police and public need to be aware. Reward system put into place to report bad behavior.

Never happen as the entire country accepts corruption and the will is not there. Dream on .... Hahaha

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are richer the "higher ups" in the armed forces or the police?

From what I can can tell both have more money than 99% of their counter parts serving in first world countries. If it were up to me I would sack anyone that had more than 1 million bath in the bank as it is impossible to become that wealthy without corruption.

Are you saying that its impossible for someone earning in excess of 60,000 baht per month to save 1 million baht!

(Approx $1,800 per month..and $28,000)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

Hong Kong police force has gone from one of the most corrupt in the world, to one of the cleanest. Singapore is also pretty faultless. It can be done with the right strategy.

Like to support your assertions on the two forces you mention?

Police forces world wide have had problems with corruption, laziness and not bothering to do their duties. There is no quick fix or universal panacea. The police service usually reflects social norms of the communities they serve. The endemic corruption in Thailand and it's acceptance as long as it "benefits me" mindset has to change as well. Otherwise any positive changes to the police will be eroded.

Good luck to those leading the changes - they are badly needed.

For once PrBkk is right. I lived in HK for 13 years. Never ever any shakedown. Almost all people, incl taxi drivers, follow the rules. The ICAC rooted out the corruption.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The police is doing a good job. Streets are safe, there is no major gang problem..

The main problem as I see it is the government inability to order the police to clear some major protest site, but that is more a political problem than a police problem. That a deranged monk be able to hire a private army, block a major road and create mayhem for 6 month is not acceptable.

Sorry but the police can't be held responsible for that, we are not idiots !

Obviously you don't drive here or walk along Sukhumvit.

The traffic police here are useless. They never patrol the streets looking for people who are breaking traffic laws. The only thing they do is set up checkpoints which never gets anybody for serious moving violations. Instead it's not driving with seatbelts on, out of date registration stickers, talking on the phone. Small stuff. But speeding? Running red lights? Driving aggressively? Feel free!

I don't even need to say much about the Nana area with the Nigerians dealing drugs in the open and people setting up illegal bars on the sidewalks and the rampant sale of counterfeit goods. Not to mention the streetwalkers.

+1 I just wanted to post the same about Nana (Soi 3) where the Nigerians deal in all kind of drugs and at night they run those street bars with their pimped ladies.

• Like 2

no-one would deny that the police need reforming, but isn't this is just the army clearing away opposition?

Opposition to what? A hint is in the Bangkok Post, Sunday, p3 article on the individuals being summoned and detained.

Paraphrasing; Academics, especially those who support repeal of lese majeste laws.

This is great news, and something I saw coming. Be interesting to see the outcome

of the reform . Do not think it is possible to make them worse, so I look forward to

a positive result.

The police have always been solidly behind Thaksin as his sort of strong man

on the ground here .I suspect the military clipping the wings of the police is just

another in the many moves to rid Thailand of the Thaksin cancer...

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

I did wonder why the police were working so hard today. In 20km of Bangkok I passed at least 5 policemen trying to constructively motivate (that's what I call it) traffic and 2 roadblocks where they were ensuring people had the right paper-work in their wallets.

I wish our new leaders much luck with this task. I fear they might want to also try to herd cats and roll jelly uphill.

By the right paperwork, do you perchance mean pictures of HM the King? In red, pink and bronze? I believe the green and blue ones are no longer valid for the paperwork checks.

Edited by eddie61
  • Like 1

The police is doing a good job. Streets are safe, there is no major gang problem..

The main problem as I see it is the government inability to order the police to clear some major protest site, but that is more a political problem than a police problem. That a deranged monk be able to hire a private army, block a major road and create mayhem for 6 month is not acceptable.

Sorry but the police can't be held responsible for that, we are not idiots !

what i have seen Police control all major crime ,maybe your not in the same thailand as me

• Like 1

1. Pay police a decent wage.

2. Supply all their equipment and uniform, instead of making them buy their own.

3. Stop the practice of buying promotions and promote on merit only.

4. Stop using transfers as punishment. Start using dismissals and court action.

5. Give all policeman clearly displayed badges with name AND number.

6. Set up a robust Internal Affairs department and encourage the public to report wrong-doing to an action line.

7. Sent fast-track personnel for specialized training in Western countries.

8. Raise taxes through the roof... for those that are good enough to pay any.

jb1

• Like 1

The newly appointed Pol Gen appears to have some pedigree and involvement of past moving the deck chairs in 2010. Call me cynical but the transfers relate to the elite being put into position of power?
To understand what is going on I find myself Googe-ing to understand some of the changes. If I am not on track I will probably hear about it. These Directors positions are very important and influential. But we don't hear about nepotism in this area as I suspect this is a closed shop in high society. The main thing working in this area is 'Mum's the word', say nothing to the westerners.
Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit Independent Director and Member of Audit Committee
KSK Group is an investment holding company with a vision to be a diversified conglomerate The Group's current core business is general insurance. Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit is a Director
"The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) on Saturday ordered the removal of national police chief General Adul Saengsingkaew, Department of Special Investigation director-general Tarit Pengdit, and Defence Ministry permanent secretary General Nipat Thonglek. They will be transferred to the PM's Office.
Watcharapol defended his decision to appoint eight new acting commissioners on Saturday, saying it was normal to rotate officials for suitability.

"Reshuffle and transfer are normal. No one has any flaw in performance,'' he said.

The eight new commissioners yesterday reported to Watcharapol, who was appointed to the top police post by the NCPO.

Watcharapol said he had not been given any special orders from the NCPO and still regarded Adul as his superior.

Former Bangkok police chief Lt-General Camronvit Toopkrajank, one of the eight officers transferred, was in a relaxed mood when he talked to reporters.

He said he only had four months left before retirement so he had never thought of resigning." The Nation 26.05.14
"The UDD's propagandists have claimed that the military is split along pro- and anti-Thaksin lines and that the national police force is largely allied to their cause. They have claimed that any violent suppression of their demonstrators will be met by a mutiny among sympathetic soldiers and cops. Top-ranking police were negligent in maintaining order during last April's riots and Abhisit has reportedly worked closely with Police General Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit to identify and sideline officials known for lingering loyalties to Thaksin, himself a former police official. The upcoming rallies, some analysts suggest, will put to the test the effectiveness of those maneuvers" Shawn W Crispin Asia Times. Feb 2010

Sounds Like Northern Ireland. Dropping the ROYAL and calling it something else. It will make no difference but it will be called reform and every one will be happy. What a joke this country is. The corruption is too engrained and nothing but a complete clean out,starting at the top is the only way forward.

• Like 1

Things are bound to change sooner or later. But this will be a tough nut to crack.

Here's a Wikipedia excerpt from an article on the Knapp Commission, a five-member panel initially formed in April 1970 by Mayor John V Lindsay to investigate corruption within the New York City Police Department.

The commission issued its preliminary report on August 15, 1972, and issued its final report on December 27, 1972. In its final report, the commission found widespread corruption in the New York City Police Department, and made the following recommendations:

* commanders should be held accountable for their subordinates' actions.

* commanders should file periodic reports on key aspects that would breed corruption.

* field offices of the Internal Affairs division should be created at all precincts.

* undercover informants should be placed in all precincts.

* improve screening and selection methods and standards.

* a change in police attitudes.

"Grass Eaters" and "Meat Eaters"

The Knapp Commission Report on Police Corruption identified two particular classes of corrupt police officer, which it called "Grass Eaters" and "Meat Eaters". This classification refers to petty corruption under peer pressure ("eating grass") and aggressive premeditated major corruption ("eating meat").

The term "Grass Eaters" is used to describe police officers who "accept gratuities and solicit five, ten, twenty dollar payments from contractors, tow-truck operators, gamblers, and the like but do not pursue corruption payments." 'Grass eating' is something that a significant number of officers are guilty of, but which they learned to do so from other cops or from imitating the deviants they watch and investigate every day. The commission even concluded that 'grass eating' was used by police officers in New York City to prove their loyalty to the brotherhood, and with that came incentives like side jobs. One method of preventing cops from becoming corrupt is to eliminate this step by removing veteran cops who do this, without any veteran cops to learn this from, new officers might decide to never 'eat grass'.

"Meat Eaters" are officers who "spend a good deal of time aggressively looking for situations they can exploit for financial gain." An example of this is shaking down pimps and illicit drug dealers for money, not only for the material profit to the officers, but for the relief from guilt that the officers derive by convincing themselves that their victims deserve such treatment. They justify taking advantage of these kinds of criminals because they are considered the dregs of society."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapp_Commission

really, implemetation of the first rule would solve 90% of th problems

Reform Police? Gee, here's a idea for you. Fire ALL of them, let troops take over for a while. Bring in REAL police from, oh, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, places like that, have them train all new recruits on what it really means to be a cop and how to do the job they are supposed to. Then give them a raise so they can make a decent living. Also institute a law that ANY RTP caught asking for, or taking a bribe, is fired immediately and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

As far as I know, that's exactly what they did in South Korea and turned out very well.

• Like 1

It's the people in the system that are corrupt, not necessarily the system itself. If it was just 1 or 2 bad apples, they would of been routed long ago by the majority straight arrows. Not the case. It's permeated into nearly every fiber of Thai society, including monks.

• Like 1

Anyone can say 'reform' the proof will be in the pudding.

I dont really see how making it a ministry would make much difference.

Lets wait and see, hopefully its not just talk.

"...the proof will be in the pudding."

What does that mean?

Anyone can say 'reform' the proof will be in the pudding.

I dont really see how making it a ministry would make much difference.

Lets wait and see, hopefully its not just talk.

"...the proof will be in the pudding."

What does that mean?

It's an expression that means broadly the same as 'time will tell' or the results will speak for themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand