Royal Thai Police to undergo major reform

webfact

Set up a NEW Police force:

* Set up a project with the help of a reputable foreign Police corps.

* Retrain the Police man and woman and ask them for a new vow according to the new principles

* Change all uniforms to something more comfortable in hot weather. Also more visible, e.g. G4S style.

* Automate fines: the whole process should be accountable. Send people a bill for a fine at home.

* Increase the salary of the Police

* Give a one time pardon for past corruption

* Establish a complaint Centre for anonymous complaints regarding corruption and abuse of power.

* Create a police of police, internal affairs

* As Police is supposed to give the good example, punish hard in case of misbehaving e.g. drinking while still carrying a gun, corruption, extortion, torture, human trafficking... Send wrongdoers to jail.

* Open the books. SHOW ACCOUNTABILITY.

Khun Prajut has a fantastic opportunity to become the hero of all living in Thailand. We wish him lots of success and many That and Expatriates are ready to help.

Edited by Travel Dude
  • Like 1

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hong Kong police force has gone from one of the most corrupt in the world, to one of the cleanest. Singapore is also pretty faultless. It can be done with the right strategy.

South Korea did the same transformation - their police are now well respected and effective - but it started with paying them a living wage followed by zero tolerance mass sackings to prevent corruption.

• Like 2

The police is doing a good job. Streets are safe, there is no major gang problem..

The main problem as I see it is the government inability to order the police to clear some major protest site, but that is more a political problem than a police problem. That a deranged monk be able to hire a private army, block a major road and create mayhem for 6 month is not acceptable.

Sorry but the police can't be held responsible for that, we are not idiots !

May I ask who this 'Deranged Monk' is of whom you speak? Just wondering.

The police is doing a good job. Streets are safe, there is no major gang problem..

The main problem as I see it is the government inability to order the police to clear some major protest site, but that is more a political problem than a police problem. That a deranged monk be able to hire a private army, block a major road and create mayhem for 6 month is not acceptable.

Pardon?????

I don't know where you live or how long you have lived there, but your lack of understanding what is going on in Thailand is sheer obvious. Safe??

Ask any Thais and they would disprove your idle story.

Do you think the police is only there to sort out gangs and demonstrations? Safe streets??

Ask any Thais that if they would go anywhere alone late night??

• Like 1

Anyone can say 'reform' the proof will be in the pudding.

I dont really see how making it a ministry would make much difference.

Lets wait and see, hopefully its not just talk.

"...the proof will be in the pudding."

What does that mean?

It's an expression that means broadly the same as 'time will tell' or the results will speak for themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No, I don't think so, the one you're referring to is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".

• Like 1

Here's a real pipe dream: police actually are transformed into a legit arm of government, well trained, not corrupt etc. This new honest force for law then goes after the corruption in military and succeeds. Ha! May I suggest books by John Burdett "Bangkok 8" etc. In every book there is the competition between police and army over who gets bigger slice of corruption pie.

Sounds Like Northern Ireland. Dropping the ROYAL and calling it something else. It will make no difference but it will be called reform and every one will be happy. What a joke this country is. The corruption is too engrained and nothing but a complete clean out,starting at the top is the only way forward.

Yes and no.

The corruption is certainly engrained but they have removed some of the Thaksin loyalist and appointed police at the top. It's a start.

I agree that changing the name is window dressing but there is a chance that it will be more than that. It is a two pronged necessity - removal of at least some of the worst of the corrupt offenders and making the force independent - as far as possible - of the government.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just having some kind of reshuffle to become a ministry is not really major reform. Changing the structure is one thing but changing the mindset of the police actually do the job they are paid for is another thing altogether. However, it is positive they are talking about reform although the cynic in me suggests this proposal has come out before something else is forced upon them. We should wait & see the exact nature of the proposal.

Agree, there must be a chance of mindset to gain and hold any real change and real benefits for Thailand.

The new mindset would need to be well discussed with transparency and ultimately an actual definition drafted and published, no secrets.

Changes in the police recruitment process, plus very severe punishment for any attempts to offer employment / positions for bribes. Mandatory jail, perhaps one year for offenders in both directions.

Situations where police can as security in gold shops etc., (which should employ their own security staff) with some pay off to their superiors totally outlawed and severe punishment for all involved.

Plus aim to have a much better educated police force. Not for etitist purposes, but to ensure all police are better equipped to do better quality work in line with more worldly thinking and standards.

Appropriate levels of reward.

Proper equipment, better computerization to world standards, same with communications equipment etc.

Police strictly not allowed to use police vehicles to take wives etc., on shopping trips, etc.

Promotion strictly by proven capability, and proven high performance, with all mooted promotions having to pass through an arms length body for checking in regard to capability and performance. Annual / 6 monthly audit / random audit of all recruitment & promotions etc., by a mixed state / public audit committee.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

In his 'long march' towards unfettered state power Thaksin was attempting to peel off the state institution leaderships. The police were widely regarded as being one of those already in his pocket, so the reform designed to weed out and reverse the process. Not easy but a job to be done.

• Like 2

Anyone can say 'reform' the proof will be in the pudding.

I dont really see how making it a ministry would make much difference.

Lets wait and see, hopefully its not just talk.

"...the proof will be in the pudding."

What does that mean?

It's an expression that means broadly the same as 'time will tell' or the results will speak for themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No, I don't think so, the one you're referring to is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Chill out pointdexter

So what will we do when we need a policeman. Shout MIS!!! My brain hurts. George Orwell must be laughing in his grave. Whatever. The policeforce need reform badly, starting from the top down. No more buying positions, but putting the person into the position on his or her ability. No kowtowing to older officers just because they are older. Ability and trustworthiness are the key words. I hope these reforms will be adopted. Too long have the police been manipulated and threatened by so called influential people, including Thailand's elected servants, politicians.We can only wait and see.

Edited by Gandtee

First off, I think that most of us here on TV support what the general is trying to do. It has only been a week, so lets cut the man some slack. At the moment he has quite a few irons in the fire and is having to shuffle them around constantly. The man has done more in 1 week than I have seen in the 10 years I have been here, I applaud you sir. We have our tv's back working for the most part, while the internet is slow and some sites not available, it has not stopped. We all like to live our lives as we see fit, but we made the decision to live in Thailand, so we should accept the curfew for the little while it is in force.

We all have our ideas about what needs to be done, but lets cut the man some slack.

Not criticizing, but what exactly has he done so far?

Unless you are applauding cutting media outlets etc

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Reform Police? Gee, here's a idea for you. Fire ALL of them, let troops take over for a while. Bring in REAL police from, oh, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, places like that, have them train all new recruits on what it really means to be a cop and how to do the job they are supposed to. Then give them a raise so they can make a decent living. Also institute a law that ANY RTP caught asking for, or taking a bribe, is fired immediately and sentenced to 5 years in prison.

That would be the best Reform/ result that you have outlined, reforms will not,I am afraid, take the path that we would take, with some positive training , they could change there mind set for a certain time then lapse into old habits , the way I would go, i would second senior police from the top police nations and bring them in to administer the department and major centres. Other than that , it's business a usual. coffee1.gif

The corruption we see in the RT Police is simply a symptom of a larger problem in the social fabric of the nation. It is accepted that being corrupt is OK. It starts in the school system when children are young. There are virtually no institutions that are not touched through corruption and bribery.

Reforming the police will always be worth a try, but a systemic problem requires something more drastic than reform.

+1 (Used up my 'likes' for the day)

There are plenty of gang problems in Thailand. Just not as large scale and organized as in the US for example. The reason is that the biggest organized crime syndicate in this country (the BIB syndicate) won't allow the competition.

Read this very inspiring interview with the Georgian president who was fed up with police corruption in his country.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4849472

The similarities with the Thai police force are apparent, so a similar solution should work here.

After reading the interview with NPR I totally agree. The problem is that in order to do the same thing Thailand needs an intelligent, smart leader with big brass ones and the backing of some key people and a willingness to reach out to other countries for help. Unfortunately, I do not see that happening. I hope I am proven wrong.

First off, I think that most of us here on TV support what the general is trying to do. It has only been a week, so lets cut the man some slack. At the moment he has quite a few irons in the fire and is having to shuffle them around constantly. The man has done more in 1 week than I have seen in the 10 years I have been here, I applaud you sir. We have our tv's back working for the most part, while the internet is slow and some sites not available, it has not stopped. We all like to live our lives as we see fit, but we made the decision to live in Thailand, so we should accept the curfew for the little while it is in force.

We all have our ideas about what needs to be done, but lets cut the man some slack.

Not criticizing, but what exactly has he done so far?

Unless you are applauding cutting media outlets etc

If you don't know there's no point telling ya..

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the Royal Thai Police will be called the Ministry of Internal Safety

Maybe "Ministry of Internal Security" would be better, or would that sound just a tad too much like a dictatorship?

Not necessarily. Have you ever heard the term "police state"?

one man, one man !!!! could have it in against us all expats if he does not like them for any reason ... next thing is, we are all on the way .out ..

next thing is, we are all on the way .out .. That could also be of our own choosing... I left what is fast becoming a Police state (UK) to come and live here.

jb1