Mozzies in house

watgate

Growing lemon balm works quite well to keep them away.

By "lemon balm" do you mean Melissa officinalis? I'm skeptical. Do you mean citronella?

When you say it works quite well. Are you speaking from personal experience in Thailand or another tropical country?

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) is what citronella is extracted from.

My experience is not from Thailand but a region of Europe which actually has a big mosquito problem, nothing like the few you see around here, I'm talking clouds of them.

You can buy powdered lemon balm in some markets as well as all sorts of citronella products from pure extracts to incense sticks. I use these products in Thailand and I find they work very well and obviously don't carry the same health risks as their chemical counterparts. As citronella is working well on Thai mozzies, I presume Lemon Balm will too.

I recommend growing it on your window sills to deter them from entering.

We bought a new house adjacent to a ginormous tree-selling business that waters their stock every day. Initially there were gazillions of mozzies day and night. Being a tender skinned farang I was permanently wielding the zapping tennis racquet and spraying incomers. I should add that every door and window has a screen. After many months and many bites despite using repellent on my skin I found a device that has, over a year drastically reduced the problem.

It uses odour pads that emit an attractant and then sucks the mosquito's into a bag where they are dehydrated and die. My Thai partner was utterly sceptical but is not now. Every two months when I change the pad I empty an amazing quantity of mosquito corpses. The machine requires an electrical supply and runs 24/7. I bought it from the agent here from their website www.bio gents-thailand.com and it was delivered in three days by EMS.

The black lights and U/V zappers do not work but kill many benign insects. Mosquitoes are not attracted to light, in fact go to the darkest place. Humans emit odours and CO2 which the females home in on and extract your blood for the egg making process. Males do not bite.

Dengue is spread by the smaller ones that are active morning and evening. Their activity periods are getting longer thanks to global warming, and there is no cure for dengue yet available. And of course malaria is spread by the night duty!

Get a house with screens. Eliminate standing water wherever possible and get a Biogents machine. Use a natural skin lotion as well and you will hardly ever be bitten if my experience is anything to go by.

I have no financial interest in this business.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You misspelled the web site ... it's www.biogents-thailand.com.

The site says "Biogent’s mosquito traps target the Mosquitoes that carry deadly Dengue Fever and Chikungunya" so do you know for sure that it also attracts/kills other kinds of mosquitoes ... esp. malaria-carrying ones?

According to the site it has been specially designed to target the Tiger Mosquito. It may catch some malaria carrying mosquito's but I certainly wouldn't count on it. Of course it is not much of a problem in the majority of Thailand.

WT, on the Thai website shop the CO2 one is not available. I bought the larger model the Mosquitaire. The dengue carrying mosquito is not attracted to CO2, unlike the malaria carrying one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the info, I think the mozzies at night here are attracted o CO2 Edited by WhiteTrash

We have a mosquito net to cover the whole bed.

Since last november its not been needed though.

Mosquito season may well be upon us from now to october buy so far I think its too hot for them.

We do have at least a dozen jingjok security guards living in the house and they are kept in check by a monster gekko aswell.

The most annoying at the moment are the flying ants,termites which love to play kamikaze into everything we cook.

....would that be extra protein, carbs or fat? I never did check.

The flying ants are extra fat... according to my gf they are high in cholesterol.... But maybe fried in your rice would give a nice addition? Our cat is loving them.

But to the mosquito question: we have a small house and every window has a mosquito screen. We sleep with ventilator in the night time and the wind keeps them away, if there is any in the house. In the livingroom we have this electrical device (don't know if it works) and in the bathroom we have a small bottle with those dried plants and citronella vapours... it keeps them away.. and if not, it gives a nice smell.

If you have an ac in your bedroom, you should turn that on... they don't like cold...

Good luck!

By "lemon balm" do you mean Melissa officinalis? I'm skeptical. Do you mean citronella?

When you say it works quite well. Are you speaking from personal experience in Thailand or another tropical country?

My experience is not from Thailand but a region of Europe which actually has a big mosquito problem, nothing like the few you see around here, I'm talking clouds of them.

You can buy powdered lemon balm in some markets as well as all sorts of citronella products from pure extracts to incense sticks. I use these products in Thailand and I find they work very well and obviously don't carry the same health risks as their chemical counterparts. As citronella is working well on Thai mozzies, I presume Lemon Balm will too.

On my commercial herb farm in USA we grow thousands of plants of Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis). Citronella is not extracted from Lemon Balm. Citronella is a separate plant know botanically as Cymbopogon winterianus which is a close relative to the Lemon Grass used in Thai cooking.

What these plants, and others like the lemon fruit, have in common is the chemical compound, limonol, which has the characteristic aroma of lemons. Limonol is indeed a mosquito repellant but the small amounts in these plants is way too low to have any significant any effect against mosquitos. That is why the very concentrated steam-distilled essential oil of citronella is used as a topical application or in incense sticks. You could also use essential oil of Lemon Balm, but it is far to expensive for such use.

Edited by HerbalEd

We have 5 of the plug-in units purchased from Tesco. They work great and our home is mosquito free. You will need to replace the cartridges every 60 to 90 days.

There are many different styles of "plug-in units." Can you be more specific with a name or photo?

There is only one brand of mosquito plug-in at the Lotus we use and this is it:

post-64057-0-63936400-1401251033.jpg

On my commercial herb farm in USA we grow thousands of plants of Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis). Citronella is not extracted from Lemon Balm. Citronella is a separate plant know botanically as Cymbopogon winterianus which is a close relative to the Lemon Grass used in Thai cooking.

What these plants, and others like the lemon fruit, have in common is the chemical compound, limonol, which has the characteristic aroma of lemons. Limonol is indeed a mosquito repellant but the small amounts in these plants is way too low to have any significant any effect against mosquitos. That is why the very concentrated steam-distilled essential oil of citronella is used as a topical application or in incense sticks. You could also use essential oil of Lemon Balm, but it is far to expensive for such use.

Sorry, you are right. I have just checked it out and nothing I said was actually true.

The 'citronella' sold in markets in Thailand is actually made from Lemon Grass, Cymbopogon nardus, citronella grass (In Thai language ตะไคร้หอม (ta-khrai hom)

It is not expensive and does seem to be quite effective in its concentrated form.

Nous avons 5 des unités de plug-in achetés auprès de Tesco. Ils travaillent beaucoup et notre maison est moustique libre. Vous aurez besoin de remplacer les cartouches tous les 60 à 90 jours.

Il ya beaucoup de différents styles de «unités de plug-in." Pouvez-vous être plus précis avec un nom ou une photo?

Il n'ya qu'une seule marque de moustique plug-in à la Lotus nous utilisons et ce qu'il est:

Poducts these are expensive because it must renew and they are harmful.

We have 5 of the plug-in units purchased from Tesco. They work great and our home is mosquito free. You will need to replace the cartridges every 60 to 90 days.

There are many different styles of "plug-in units." Can you be more specific with a name or photo?

Thanks for the photo.

At my local Lotus there are several plug-in anti-mosquito units. Ones like you picture where the whole unit plugs in, and others larger units that plug in via a power cord. The one I purchased ... with cord ... did not work well, but based upon your positive story, I'll definitely try the one you use.

Edited by HerbalEd

Nous avons 5 des unités de plug-in achetés auprès de Tesco. Ils travaillent beaucoup et notre maison est moustique libre. Vous aurez besoin de remplacer les cartouches tous les 60 à 90 jours.

Il ya beaucoup de différents styles de «unités de plug-in." Pouvez-vous être plus précis avec un nom ou une photo?

Il n'ya qu'une seule marque de moustique plug-in à la Lotus nous utilisons et ce qu'il est:

Poducts these are expensive because it must renew and they are harmful.

Not at all harmful unless you get undiluted essential oil in your eye or mouth. For sure, these oils are a lot less harmful than poisonous chemical sprays. But whatever poison you prefer, I guess.

My solution is not letting the family but any more dark coloured furniture

All the stuff apart from the TV in our bedroom is white, so few mozzies

Sofa downstairs is dark red. Bastard things are everywhere. But can't afford a new one yet :(

Seems to be moxie season. Here is the story of my wifes two houses which are identical and side by side.

House 1 - no air-conditioning has screens on 95% of the windows. The bathroom floor is dry most of the time. We have a separate stand alone shower room. NO MOSQUITOS

House # 2 Air conditioning. Cloth screens mosquito proof but only half the windows. Despite major plumbing the bathroom floor is damp most of the time. TONS OF MOSQUITOS.

For your own health you must protect against mosquitos as this is the source of Dengue fever ( research this on Google) . I had Dengue fever twice and it is no fun - ended up in ICU. Ensure that there is no standing water near your home - turn over any object that may hold water and regularly empty water from even very shallow items.

We have been using one of those electric rackets and we regularly patrol house #2 . I will research one of those UV electric bug zappers that Lotus has over their entrances but only I will buy a household size.

I saw on youtube or Google a very inexpensive mosquito trap and I would like to make 2 or 3 for around the house. You cut a 2 litre soda pop bottle in half. You remove the cap and turn the spout down and insert it into the bottom half. Join them together with tape or glue. Put water and brown sugar and yeast into the bottle. Wrap the bottle with black cloth or black paper. Voila mosquito trap. Strategically placed these should help.

I lived in Northern Alberta and believe me the mosquitos there are far worse than here. The mosquitos there make thailand look like a picnic. However the presence of Dengue Fever makes mosquitos in Thailand far more hazardous. In Canada there is occasionally an incidence of mosquito borne encephalitis but in Thailand over 60,000 people are infected by Dengue fever every year. If there is Dengue fever in your neighbourhood there is a real risk of the virus being carried to you by a mosquito from a neighbour.

What you use works but there is something even better that a local pointed out and even out on the back porch it keeps them away outside! Inside, you will never see a mosquito. It is a unit that plugs into any electrical socket with a replaceable little jar of liquid that screws into the bottom of the small device.

One replacement jar of liquid costs 69 baht and lasts a month or more even outside. Haven't seen a mosquito for over a year!

You will find this device with the mosquito repellants and insect sprays at Tesco Lotus. Had it over a year now and cannot remember the device packaging but the replaceable little jars come in a small red box with thin yellow lightning bolts. The little box has a hang tag but the product is always displayed on a shelf. The only English on the box is a tiny version of the logo on the upper left of the left side panel and it says Shieldtox Power Gard, Actually, just noticed this tiny English version of the logo is on the rear of the hang tag as well.

BTW, what attracts mosquitos is the carbon dioxide when mammals exhale.

attachicon.gifshield.jpg

What exactly is the active ingredient in the liquid?

In Indonesia, they sold one brand in 5 litre tins for pump spraying around the house.

The active ingredient was VERY nasty.

I keep the bedroom doors closed, and my wife does too.

That room is quite well sealed, UVPC windows and I put a draught excluder and rubber seal around the main door.

AC at night. Rarely have a mossie problem in there.

Main lounge is always open and I do not have screens, and I keep the mossie problem down by applying repellent to ankle areas at sunrise/sunset.

Also a fan blowing on you helps keep them off.

The zapper bat is always handy.

Matter of management, I do get the odd bites but it is tolerable, the body seems to adapt too and I seem to react less to them now.

Next to the zapper bat is the Tiger Balm! :D

Screens for windows and doors is a must. In our area the municipality send people to spray the streets and for an energy drink the guy sprays around our house. Although mozzies aren't attracted to UV there is a zapper on the market with a suction fan and UV that works well. We had mozzies hidding under our desk area (dark) and this zapper sorted them out, no more itching ankles.

If I'm really annoyed by them, I use a plug in thing with small mats. Very cheap and effective, but the screens are a worthwhile investment, or a deal breaker on a new rental.

What you use works but there is something even better that a local pointed out and even out on the back porch it keeps them away outside! Inside, you will never see a mosquito. It is a unit that plugs into any electrical socket with a replaceable little jar of liquid that screws into the bottom of the small device.

I used these bottles when we lived in Australia, didn't know you could get them here (never looked to be honest). When we were travelling around Asia, we didn't want to carry liquid in case the plastic bottle broke so started using pads. Haven't had a problem so far. I have it plugged in next to the bed - the only real problem is forgetting to turn it off in the morning.

One replacement jar of liquid costs 69 baht and lasts a month or more even outside. Haven't seen a mosquito for over a year!

You will find this device with the mosquito repellants and insect sprays at Tesco Lotus. Had it over a year now and cannot remember the device packaging but the replaceable little jars come in a small red box with thin yellow lightning bolts. The little box has a hang tag but the product is always displayed on a shelf. The only English on the box is a tiny version of the logo on the upper left of the left side panel and it says Shieldtox Power Gard, Actually, just noticed this tiny English version of the logo is on the rear of the hang tag as well.

BTW, what attracts mosquitos is the carbon dioxide when mammals exhale.

attachicon.gifshield.jpg

What exactly is the active ingredient in the liquid?

In Indonesia, they sold one brand in 5 litre tins for pump spraying around the house.

The active ingredient was VERY nasty.

The fermenting sugar produces carbon dioxide which attracts the mosquitos.

what a pity this entire house house has power outlets fitted vertically. This means the bottle would be fitted sideways!

I've used the permethrin impregnated mats in Australia, where power outlets are fitted horizontally. The first batch of mats came with a mosquito printed on them. They worked well.

The second packet I bought must have been made by Chang, as they had an elephant logo on each mat. There were 100% effective. Never had an elephant near the house!~

I've not used this type of mosquito control before, so this afternoon I went to Tesco Lotus and bought one of each: Shieldtox (in the red box) and Baygon (in the blue box).

• The Shieldtox comes with a 45 mL bottle for 129 baht.
  • The Baygon is 21.9 mL for 114 baht.
  • Both items come with a swivel plug so that can be adjusted to outlets either vertically or horizontally.

The active ingredient in Shieldtox is Esbiothrin 2.6% w/w More here: http://www.who.int/whopes/quality/en/Esbiothrin_spec_eval_Oct_2004.pdf

The active ingredient in Baygon is Prallethrin 1.6% w/w. More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prallethrin

post-55993-0-02770200-1401283124_thumb.j post-55993-0-27429700-1401283158_thumb.j

we have screens on all the windows but they seem to get in by the hundreds every day. no doubt from opening and closing the doors many times during the day. however i'm fortunate. they don't bother me at all. i may get one mosquito bite a year; if that. the wife has fans on in the bedroom, even with the a/c on. it helps to keep them away. but she gets bitten like crazy, not only here but when she goes anywhere. they are definitely attracted to some people's scent and not others.