Google is to start building its own self-driving cars

webfact

Google is to start building its own self-driving cars

US: -- Google is to start building its own self-driving cars, rather than modifying vehicles built by other manufacturers.

The car will have a stop-go button but no controls, steering wheel or pedals.

Pictures of the Google vehicle show it looks like a city car with a "friendly" face, designed to make it seem non-threatening and help people accept self-driving technology.

Co-founder Sergey Brin revealed the plans at a conference in California.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27587558

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-05-28

• Like 1

So now we know why Google have been plowing billions of $ s into getting Google Earth together.

I don't think it is wise to remove the pedals and steering wheel though, sensors and things actually do go wrong and human intervention should always be there. Many other consequences to cause problems on top of this.... satellite signal loss etc....

But as far as Thailand is concerned, they maybe should develop self-driving trucks and buses, to eradicate the need for Thai bus and truck drivers.

Edited by thumper101

I think this is a great idea when it has been fully developed. No more needless deaths on the road. No traffic jams because of accidents. No need for lorry drivers just program the lorry at the start of the journey and re program it at the destination. No more speeding tickets as speed will be controlled by satellite(I guess). Just image the seats could fold down to a bed so you can sleep on long journeys. But not going to happen before I get my free bus pass.

I hope I live long enough to get one. Hopefully Mercedes Benz brings out their own version so I don't have to look like the douchebag riding In this ridiculous looking cart.

Edited by neverdie

I think this is a great idea when it has been fully developed. No more needless deaths on the road. No traffic jams because of accidents. No need for lorry drivers just program the lorry at the start of the journey and re program it at the destination. No more speeding tickets as speed will be controlled by satellite(I guess). Just image the seats could fold down to a bed so you can sleep on long journeys. But not going to happen before I get my free bus pass.

I think you still need a driver. Things will happen. A deer runs out on the road and there is an accident.

I think you still need a driver. Things will happen. A deer runs out on the road and there is an accident.

From the OP

"The car will have a stop-go button but no controls, steering wheel or pedals."

So I am guessing it can all be done from a base anywhere in the world. No need for a driver. No need for a driving licence. A microphone and speaker can give insurance details.

When I first read this I thought is this an April fool prank. But now I am thinking this is so futuristic it take time to get to grips with what is possible in the future.

Scott, You are thinking with your old head. There are already cars on the road TODAY that see the deer and brake and stop the car to avoid these types of accidents. The car will do it all without any driver input, if it has to. It does give an audible warning first but if the driver fails to react, the car takes over.

Mercedes Benz developed this type of technology years ago, it's an option now on virtually every model they sell.

Edited by neverdie

I was waiting for someone to write about roads here, but nobody has, so I'll bite. Is it soi dog proof (the ones that run out 2 ft in front of you at full tilt because it's being chased, or vehicles that come out of blind alleys looking where they want to go and not what's coming at them?

"Are you the driver of this vehicle sir?". "Er, no. Will this affect my no claims bonus, or the amount that chicken is worth now that it turned into a valuable prize fighting cock 1 nanosecond before it scrunched itself?".

Motorway driving I think it might have a chance though.

I have been driving for over 40 years in many countries, driving left-hand drives, right-hand drives, and even driven for 5 years in India without ever having an accident. Just like some people on TV don’t like others’ driving, I don’t trust a computer driving me. I don’t call this innovative and progressive technology, I call it TOTAL CONTROL! Whoever is at the ‘helm’ to dictate the car’s destination can easily take you wherever they want or even obstruct access, and if you are politically incorrect (as this is becoming unacceptable by many governments today), the ‘car operator or helmsman’ can easily cause your demise – what an easy way to assassinate someone! – and then the excuse will be “faulty software”, a regrettable accident. No, I am not exaggerating, anything is possible with this technology.

I know, I know, some will be commenting now that I am a conspiracy theorist or some will say “I have not done or said anything wrong so it should not affect me”, but the reality is that no-one will be excluded from the hidden agenda. And no, I am not a conspiracy theorist, I am a conspiracy factist!

Think about it, look around you, scrutinize the technology that has already been given to us and the new technologies they are publicised for the near future, and tell me what you see. Can you not see what is happening and where this is going? How convenient and attractive all this new technology has been for us today, and yet… Behind this silver lining, there is a dark cloud!

The problem with the masses today is that they look but they do not see, they listen but they do not hear, they think but they do not realise! Anyway, just wanted to warn you, especially for those open-minded people.

No, Neverdie, that's not how it always happen. I had a deer run into my car, once, It appeared to have tried to jump over the hood. This was at highway speed. Perhaps it was being chased by something, but no front end damage to the car, just the hood, the windshield and the top of the car. The deer did not fare well either.