Australian drug smuggler sentenced to 23 years in Cambodian prison

webfact

Australian drug smuggler sentenced to 23 years in Cambodian prison
Lindsay Murdoch
SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

A tip-off from Australian authorities has led to a Cambodian court sentencing an Australian woman to 23 years' jail for attempting to smuggle 2.2 kilograms of heroin to Australia.

Ann Yoshe Taylor, 41, wept on Wednesday before being sent into Cambodia’s overcrowded jail system where conditions are harsh.

Taylor was convicted along with 19-year-old French national Charlene Savarino and Nigerian national Precious Cheme Nwoko following their arrest after a three-month police operation in Phnom Penh last September.

Nwoko was sentenced to 27 years in jail and Savarino 25 years. All three denied the drug belonged to them.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/australian-drug-smuggler-sentenced-to-23-years-in-cambodian-prison-20140528-zrr12.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-05-28

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 years old and 25 years in jail. Her family live in PP and she fell in with the wonderful Nigerian community who frequent the Heart Of Darkness and the old lakeside etc...that is <deleted> up.

The more publicity cases like this attract the less chance some other foolish people will end up in a similar nightmare.

I don't think so, stupidity cannot be eradicated.

all the while, makers and producers of alcohol get a free pass...

Ah, the old "alcohol is worse" argument. We are not talking about an ounce of weed, we are talking 2.2 kilos of heroin. Like it or not, alcohol is legal both in Cambodia and Oz; heroin is not.

These idiots have made life so terrible for an average Nigerian.

I have a good friend in Phnom Penh who is Nigerian. He works as a teacher and he stays faaaar away from his fellow Nigerians. Fact is that most of the Nigerians in PP are involved in nefarious activities; giving the honest few a bad name.....

• Like 2

Does this lack of tolerance extend to users of the globally endemic and legal drug called alcohol - or does that happen to be a drug that you enjoy and therefore not subject to the same condemnation?

Have you any idea at all of the social and economic cost of alcohol compared to any other soft or hard drug you would care to mention?

It's a rhetorical question, by the way.

Stop swallowing the mass media propaganda and do some research. This should enable you at least to take a more balanced view of drugs and their effects before publicly flaunting your ignorance and prejudice.

I think we are on the same page, I was only calling out the hypocrisy of having legal alcohol all the while having a drug such as marijuana be prohibited almost all across the world when alcohol clearly does more damage

• Like 1

The more publicity cases like this attract the less chance some other foolish people will end up in a similar nightmare.

Unfortunately, I doubt that is true. If only it was.

They do it because they convince themselves they can get away with it.

If you believe something strongly enough, you are immune from rational thought.

Living in Cambodia free is already hard. In jail in Cambodia for 23 years, better ask for the death penalty mate.

What's hard about living in Cambodia?

Standard of living. But don't worry Thaskin will be running there to help the country soon enough. Just like he did for Thailand.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

Does this lack of tolerance extend to users of the globally endemic and legal drug called alcohol - or does that happen to be a drug that you enjoy and therefore not subject to the same condemnation?

Have you any idea at all of the social and economic cost of alcohol compared to any other soft or hard drug you would care to mention?

It's a rhetorical question, by the way.

Stop swallowing the mass media propaganda and do some research. This should enable you at least to take a more balanced view of drugs and their effects before publicly flaunting your ignorance and prejudice.

You are on H ?

Unfortunately this will continue as the prospect of a few thousand dollars to a young Aussie girl, is a risk she was prepared to take.

I guess after serving 10 years or so she'lll be given a prisoner exchange back home

Living in Cambodia free is already hard. In jail in Cambodia for 23 years, better ask for the death penalty mate.

What's hard about living in Cambodia?

Standard of living. But don't worry Thaskin will be running there to help the country soon enough. Just like he did for Thailand.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

I have everything I need here. And BKK is a short hop away for the things I cannot find heresmile.png.

• Like 1