Thai farmers unearth 2.5 million Baht in gold under orchard

webfact

The Department of Fine Arts should have been called in immediately to cordon the entire orchard off and confiscate any items found so far to be examined. This could well be something more significant than Japanese loot from WW2. And even if it is, it could still be of historical importance and the pieces would deserve to be exhibited instead of being pawned for some cheap rice whisky and a new motorcycle. In the end, the owner of the plantation should be fairly compensated for the find - and if he then still wants to share his new-found wealth with hundreds of his neighbors, so be it.

But it is actions like this by legions of money-hungry people (or should I say 'looters'?) that cause countless historical artifacts all over the world to be destroyed forever.

crazy.gif on too many levels to reply more

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mr. Rawee said he has not barred neighbours from digging up the gold because he sees the gold rush as "a way to distribute wealth" among the local community."

or a good way to get his land cultivated

This gold could be quite valuable.

There were Japanese in the South of Thailand centuries ago.

I believe Nakhon Si Thammarat actually had a Japanese governor at one stage.

I hope they don't sell it to the local Chinese lady at a discount to weight price (not being Thai gold).

Now that make sense! Checking the goldrushers for helmults wasn't lucrative enough !

was talking to my Thai wife about this in which she already heard the story..she told me in her broken English that certain gov't personel have basically blocked off the land from everyone including the owner and gave him some BS about having rights to whatever gold is left and then must return it to the Japanese....

TIT!

• Like 1

Now that make sense! Checking the goldrushers for helmults wasn't lucrative enough !

was talking to my Thai wife about this in which she already heard the story..she told me in her broken English that certain gov't personel have basically blocked off the land from everyone including the owner and gave him some BS about having rights to whatever gold is left and then must return it to the Japanese....

TIT!

"t certain gov't personel" who are about to become rich once the locate a good metal detection set.

"Mr. Rawee said he has not barred neighbours from digging up the gold because he sees the gold rush as "a way to distribute wealth" among the local community."

or a good way to get his land cultivated

I'd rather have the gold and pay someone 2k to do it after

Maybe he needed his fields plowed and figured out this method was cheaper?

Or maybe he feels he has enough for his needs and is happy for the neighbours that he works alongside and grew up with to share his good fortune? At the end of the day, wealth is no substitute for friendship.

• Like 2

Locals asked to refrain from gold digging
Kanya Khamnurak
The Nation, Phatthalung

BANGKOK: -- The Fine Arts Department has asked people to stop digging for gold on a plot of land where giant gold sheets, very likely from ancient times, were discovered earlier this week.

Locals, however, continued to look for gold at the plot yesterday.

Arnat Bamrungwong, who heads the Fine Arts Office 14, said the gold sheets found at a palm plantation in Khao Chaison district were of a similar size of those used to adorn the Phra Borommathat Chedi -- a historical site and sacred religious structure in the province.

"We wish to cordon off the area for experts to conduct proper explorations and excavations," he said.

He said the historical significance of the items could be worth much more than any financial value.

Supakorn Chuaiporm, 32, said he had found several gold sheets on Tuesday and each could fetch more than Bt40,000.

"I hope I can find some more," he said as he continued digging.

Several local villagers were also seen looking for gold at the plot. No one was willing to divulge whether they discovered gold yesterday.

However, word spread that at least two gold pieces were obtained from the plot yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-29

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Kudos to the guy.

But I'd have held the information back until I had parlayed the gold into a couple of metal detectors and searched my whole property a few times over.

Then I'd have allowed the 500 others to have a look.

I'm selfish like that.

Only a complete idiot would let the press or anyone know about such a thing. He'll lose this just as fast as he found it.

I would have let my neighbours grab a few pieces each, but I certainly couldn't have told anyone from the state about the find. If anyone believes that the super-clean anti corrupt military dictatorship wouldn't like to get their hands on some easy money, they are deluding themselves. I bet some officials from the 'fine arts dept' are salivating as we speak as well.

This find is much, much better:

A TREASURE trove of rare gold coins that were discovered by a California couple out walking their dog last year are set to go on sale.

The nearly 1,430 coins date from 1847 to 1894 and have been valued at more than $11 million. One will be auctioned at the Old San Francisco Mint on Tuesday at 8:30pm. Most of the rest will go on sale on Amazon.com and Kagins.com later in the evening. Here are five things to know about the coins and their origin:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/california-couples-buried-gold-coins-to-go-on-sale-valued-at-11-million/story-fnagkbpv-1226934406935

Maybe he needed his fields plowed and figured out this method was cheaper?

Or maybe he feels he has enough for his needs and is happy for the neighbours that he works alongside and grew up with to share his good fortune? At the end of the day, wealth is no substitute for friendship.

Just going to be a shame once they start pulling up his trees/crops to look underneath

BANGKOK: -- The Fine Arts Department has asked people to stop digging for gold on a plot of land where giant gold sheets, very likely from ancient times, were discovered earlier this week.

Several local villagers were also seen looking for gold at the plot. No one was willing to divulge whether they discovered gold yesterday.

Plot twist, and then reality sets in.

Maybe it wasn't Japanese. Or maybe calling it "ancient" puts it into different pockets?

Could get interesting. If I were selling household gold smelters, I know where I'd be making a sales call. Shame really, because it could be a significant historical find.

I read on Thai news report that if any one surrenders those gold plates they will be given 1/3 of the its actual value. Also the department of artifact asked for military assistance to keep people off the land not to let any one dig for gold any more because those gold are considered national artifact treasure. The department will send search team to search for treasure themselves.

TIT!

My experience is never ever believe anything that a Thai tells you. The things that my wife misinterprets from the news is astounding,half listened to and then embellished beyond all recognition,often even the country where a certain incident has taken place is wrong.

• Like 2

Kudos to the guy.

But I'd have held the information back until I had parlayed the gold into a couple of metal detectors and searched my whole property a few times over.

Then I'd have allowed the 500 others to have a look.

I'm selfish like that.

Then I would have told them that they have to plant a plam tree shoot in every hole they dig. Sit back and drink a cold Singha while all the work gets done.