Southern Atrocity

oldsailor35

In light of the recent atrocity where a 3 yr old girl had her legs blown off. Are the military taking any new measures to stop these terrorists in the south. If not, they need to take a leaf out of the books of the Brit admin in Malaya back in the 50's.

There are many things that we did back then which really need to be implemented in the south of Thailand. But as usual the RTA will not listen to any outside advice. And so it will go on. rolleyes.gif

"...they need to take a leaf out of the books of the Brit admin in Malaya back in the 50's."

Some would say that it was what the Brit admin did do that started this mess in the first place!

Wrong! have a look at the Communist incursion into S Asia, Thailand included.

"...they need to take a leaf out of the books of the Brit admin in Malaya back in the 50's."

Some would say that it was what the Brit admin did do that started this mess in the first place!

Don't get me wrong, I despise the people that inflict death and injury on innocent people, but Pattani and Yala were annexed to Thailand from Malaysia, by the Brits.

I have no idea how the "communist incursion" has anything to do with it. I'd be happy to be enlightened by you...always willing to learn.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I despise the people that inflict death and injury on innocent people, but Pattani and Yala were annexed to Thailand from Malaysia, by the Brits.

I have no idea how the "communist incursion" has anything to do with it. I'd be happy to be enlightened by you...always willing to learn.

Forget it ! i think you are getting too confused.

yeah we noticed how well the brit methods worked in afghanistan against islamists!! lol

The US is providing counterinsurgency training for the Thai Armed Forces. I do not know whether other countries are involved (e.g. Israel training the Singaporean special forces) There is a correlation to the UK experience in Afghanistan in that after learning some bitter lessons in Iraq & Afghanistan they studied the US Field Manual 3-24 & implemented some changes to the British Army COIN doctrine, previously based on Northern Ireland, and had a radical overhaul. At the heart of this change are the concepts of understanding the ‘Human Terrain’ and securing the population, a shift away from focusing on the insurgent, I guess you could say very similar to the successful Malaya campaign. Are the Thai armed forces implementing this strategy?

http://www.stabilisationunit.gov.uk/component/docman/cat_view/163-thematic/164-counterinsurgency.html?limit=10&limitstart=0&order=name&dir=ASC&Itemid=230

Edited by simple1

As i understand it it was mainly chinese communists in Malaya,and the British army started a hearts and minds campaign turning the malay population against the minority chinese,whist this was successful,i doubt it would work in the current situation as the majority of people in the south are muslim,and no doubt the insurgent's are unlikley to lose their support base as did the chinese communists in Malaya.

As i understand it it was mainly chinese communists in Malaya,and the British army started a hearts and minds campaign turning the malay population against the minority chinese,whist this was successful,i doubt it would work in the current situation as the majority of people in the south are muslim,and no doubt the insurgent's are unlikley to lose their support base as did the chinese communists in Malaya.

Ahh, thanks. I have been educated. I guess that was too hard for the OP to mention, though I get where was coming from now. I still don't get the reference to communist incursion into Thailand though.

Ahh, thanks. I have been educated. I guess that was too hard for the OP to mention, though I get where was coming from now. I still don't get the reference to communist incursion into Thailand though.

It has been claimed that upon their defeat communist guerrilla fighters from Malaysia crossed over to the deep South provinces to assist the Thai Malay insurgency with training & arms

If not, they need to take a leaf out of the books of the Brit admin in Malaya back in the 50's.

Um. The Brits aren't in Malaya any more.

That should be an indication of how well it worked for them.

I think the OP wrote this wearing a white suit drinking a gin and tonic on his verandah reminiscing on the days when the Brits could tell the locals how to run things.

Typical english; they criticize the US but really think that their forgotten little island should run the world.

Edited by Eliot Rosewater

I think the OP wrote this wearing a white suit drinking a gin and tonic on his verandah reminiscing on the days when the Brits could tell the locals how to run things.

You have no idea what you are talking about, trying to be smart and only making a fool of yourself. The Malayan emergency was a Police action carried out by the Malayan police using the British armed forces. I was there as a young foot soldier and every patrol had a Malay Policeman with it. One thing for sure, no gun toting terrorist on a motorbike would have got more than a couple of hundred yards. And they certainly were not allowed to move about freely in the jungle, we had them sewn up very tightly. Here in the south, they can go anywhere they like and do anything they want, completely out foxing both the police and the army, both appear to be useless, have no idea what is going on and only appear after the event. Even when the terrorists are 'bottled' up they always manage to get away. It really is pathetic, the army appear to have no idea what to do about it. I guess that their 'forte' is in having coups ! coffee1.gif

Typical english; they criticize the US but really think that their forgotten little island should run the world.

If the yanks had been involved in the Malayan insurrection, it would either still be going on, or Malaya would have been bombed to obliteration............that's the yank way when they loose control.

Might i remind you......Viet Nam !

Edited by oldsailor35

It has been claimed that upon their defeat communist guerrilla fighters from Malaysia crossed over to the deep South provinces to assist the Thai Malay insurgency with training & arms

Quite possible as the communists were very strong in southern Thailand. I was in Perak,Central Malaya, but when they fled from us, they took the jungle route north where the Aussies were waiting for them along the border region, those lucky enough to get away fled over the border into Thailand where they could not be followed. One of their main camps was in the caves of Khao Sok national park where they could regroup in safety.

Edited by oldsailor35

yeah we noticed how well the brit methods worked in afghanistan against islamists!! lol

Nothing to do with the Malayan emergency. wake up !rolleyes.gif

islamists are a different kettle of fish than malaya was . u wake up

You have no idea what you are talking about, trying to be smart and only making a fool of yourself. The Malayan emergency was a Police action carried out by the Malayan police using the British armed forces. I was there as a young foot soldier and every patrol had a Malay Policeman with it. One thing for sure, no gun toting terrorist on a motorbike would have got more than a couple of hundred yards. And they certainly were not allowed to move about freely in the jungle, we had them sewn up very tightly. Here in the south, they can go anywhere they like and do anything they want, completely out foxing both the police and the army, both appear to be useless, have no idea what is going on and only appear after the event. Even when the terrorists are 'bottled' up they always manage to get away. It really is pathetic, the army appear to have no idea what to do about it. I guess that their 'forte' is in having coups ! coffee1.gif

well britain must have forgotten something because they were useless in afghanistan

The US is providing counterinsurgency training for the Thai Armed Forces. I do not know whether other countries are involved (e.g. Israel training the Singaporean special forces) There is a correlation to the UK experience in Afghanistan in that after learning some bitter lessons in Iraq & Afghanistan they studied the US Field Manual 3-24 & implemented some changes to the British Army COIN doctrine, previously based on Northern Ireland, and had a radical overhaul. At the heart of this change are the concepts of understanding the ‘Human Terrain’ and securing the population, a shift away from focusing on the insurgent, I guess you could say very similar to the successful Malaya campaign. Are the Thai armed forces implementing this strategy?

http://www.stabilisationunit.gov.uk/component/docman/cat_view/163-thematic/164-counterinsurgency.html?limit=10&limitstart=0&order=name&dir=ASC&Itemid=230

the amricans are no better at handling islamism than thais or brits.

That is not correct. The hearts and minds campaign, came into being when all remote dwellers were relocated into Kampongs by the Malayan Police, both Chinese and Malay together. This was to deny the CT's from getting food etc., from frightened locals. Of course they did not like being relocated, but the Malayan govt., gave them many benefits to compensate, hence the "hearts and minds" campaign. You really do need to get the facts right if you want to continue to educate the likes of Seastallion, then it should not be too difficult as he appears not to know very much. The Kampongs (villages) were under strict curfew surrounded by barbed wire with Malay Police guard posts to protect them from CT attack. What they could take out in the morning was strictly controlled so for example no rice or food could be taken out for the CT's. One of our jobs was to assist the Malayan Police in vetting them out in the morning.

Those working in the rubber were allowed just enough food and water for their own consumption. I still remember stopping a gentleman of Indian'Malay appearance leaving the Kampong, he had a large glass jar in his bicycle basket,containing rice. He pointed it out to me saying that he was a school teacher and this was the food for the 15 children of his class for the day. I lifted it up and quickly realised it was too heavy, "accidentally" dropping the jar which shattered, 2 Mills bombs rolled out ! Later we found out from the police that he was a local CT cell leader as well as a school teacher.

CT= Our term for Communists Terrorist.

Kampong = Government built village surrounded by a barbed wire safety fence with Police guard posts..

I hope that you understand all this Marco and can explain it to poor ole Seastallion as you continue to educate him.

Edited by oldsailor35

well britain must have forgotten something because they were useless in afghanistan

Another war started by American interference, by training and supplying the Afghans with weapons, to fight the Russans.

Another war started by American interference, by training and supplying the Afghans with weapons, to fight the Russans.

i dont give a stuff who started it, britain, usa, etc etc have no ability to stop it and are not equipped to teach anyone how to combat muslim extremism.

i dont give a stuff who started it, bitain, usa, etc etc have no ability to stop it and are not equipped to teach anyone how to combat muslim extremism.

Do you mind clarifying your comment?

I guess you're aware that Philip Hammond, UK Sec of Defense had stated on the public record in relation to UK forces deployed in Afghanistan that "We can only ask them to expose themselves to risk for Britain's national security, which is what they signed up to do." Britain had "not come here to defeat the insurgency".

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

i dont give a stuff who started it, bitain, usa, etc etc have no ability to stop it and are not equipped to teach anyone how to combat muslim extremism.

Do you mind clarifying your comment?

I guess you're aware that Philip Hammond, UK Sec of Defense had stated on the public record in relation to UK forces deployed in Afghanistan that "We can only ask them to expose themselves to risk for Britain's national security, which is what they signed up to do." Britain had "not come here to defeat the insurgency".

lol! a politicians load of codswallop! if you didnt go to defeat the insurgency , when u leave the insurgents will come right back. so why did you go there in the first place if everything will return to the way it was before you went there??lol

lol! a politicians load of codswallop! if you didnt go to defeat the insurgency , when u leave the insurgents will come right back. so why did you go there in the first place if everything will return to the way it was before you went there??lol

Because the idiot George w Bush said, "If you aint with us, you're against us" and politically forced dozens of countries to enter the fray. Those countries, including Britain, then had to sell the idea to the people by whatever propaganda they could devise, from "Our country will be next", to "Afghans force their women to wear Bhurkas and don't let them go to school!" (and thus we have to go over there and sort it out).

Because the idiot George w Bush said, "If you aint with us, you're against us" and politically forced dozens of countries to enter the fray. Those countries, including Britain, then had to sell the idea to the people by whatever propaganda they could devise, from "Our country will be next", to "Afghans force their women to wear Bhurkas and don't let them go to school!" (and thus we have to go over there and sort it out).

it doesnt matter what the reason was, the fact is the methods used DID NOT WORK! and britain would be just as incapable of suppressing the islamists in thailand

If the yanks had been involved in the Malayan insurrection, it would either still be going on, or Malaya would have been bombed to obliteration............that's the yank way when they loose control.

Well, perhaps you can get a job as a history revisionist since you seem to know so much about what could have happened but didn't.

Also, there are plenty of soldiers in the US army who are from southern states; and are not considered "yanks."

Well, perhaps you can get a job as a history revisionist since you seem to know so much about what could have happened but didn't.

Also, there are plenty of soldiers in the US army who are from southern states; and are not considered "yanks."

theyre all yanks to anyone who isnt one