Junta mulls pricey transport projects

Lite Beer

Doomsayers constrain Thailand's development. This is visionary and is a wonderful investment in the future

not saying that the proposed infrastructure is not necessary or not a good investment but this amount of spending/allocation of the ppls money should necessarily be overseen by the ppls representatives not some forcedly imposed entity.

Edited by 4dyg
  • Like 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doomsayers constrain Thailand's development. This is visionary and is a wonderful investment in the future

Your other post on this subject, applauding the prospect, now visionary,

Why would anyone buy a rail ticket to get to CMai, at more than the price of a flight ??? 6hours or 1 and a half hour.

Who would use the rail ??? business NO time is money so to many hours wasted on the train.

A similar standard rail of UK is more than adequate for here. At a fraction of the cost. the lines first, standard gauge after years of running invest if necessary bullet style. The tracks are in place then--only rolling stock to replace.

Walk before run.

me for one. i go to great lengths and would also incur costs to avoid the gestapo stamping ground that is todays airports. sleeper trains are a fine way to travel. free shaking massage included. time is not in short supply for most retirees.

Edited by 4dyg

I can't see how the current system can be upgraded to compete with the excellent if risky bus service Thailand has.

The narrow gauge used pretty much limits anything bigger than the current cars and their speed.

Tell that to Queensland Rail.

I understand that system has a maximum of 100mph which is not high speed.

It's a bloody lot faster than "the current cars and their speed" of the Thai system which average ~60km/h BKK-Surat Thani.

Thailand has problems paying the farmers yet is looking at high cost infrastructure.

Remember the ill fated Hopewell rail project in Bangkok?

Thailand needs a huge amount of investment in infrastructure.

Hopewell failed mainly due to the Asian financial crisis.

Thailand has problems paying the farmers yet is looking at high cost infrastructure.

The problems with Hopewell were under a Democrat administration. While I understand a level of apprehension about the cost of these proposals, they represent the kind of forward thinking that Thailand has lacked in the past. Becoming a transpot and logistics hub is central to Thailand's economic development. I hope they are not thrown out just because they originated under PTP.

Your other post on this subject, applauding the prospect, now visionary,

Why would anyone buy a rail ticket to get to CMai, at more than the price of a flight ??? 6hours or 1 and a half hour.

Who would use the rail ??? business NO time is money so to many hours wasted on the train.

A similar standard rail of UK is more than adequate for here. At a fraction of the cost. the lines first, standard gauge after years of running invest if necessary bullet style. The tracks are in place then--only rolling stock to replace.

Walk before run.

me for one. i go to great lengths and would also incur costs to avoid the gestapo stamping ground that is todays airports. sleeper trains are a fine way to travel. free shaking massage included. time is not in short supply for most retirees.

But were talking about Extra high speed or 125 style UK, European width tracks--dual. Especially, BKK--Korat--K.Khen--Udon--Nong Khai--I call the big city line, freight to Laos. more important than a bleeding high speed to C.Mai for who ??? Inter city link, NOT BKK -C.Mai.

The problems with Hopewell were under a Democrat administration. While I understand a level of apprehension about the cost of these proposals, they represent the kind of forward thinking that Thailand has lacked in the past. Becoming a transpot and logistics hub is central to Thailand's economic development. I hope they are not thrown out just because they originated under PTP.

Your last sentence ---oooohhhh Please.

Perhaps the memory is fading, but I thought the high speed train plans were originally proposed by the Democrat Party, and so may have supporters across different colours.

Your memory is not faulty

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced during her inaugural policy speech to parliament that three routes would be constructed linking Bangkok with urban centres in the north, northeast and upper south.

The plan differs from that of the previous Democrat Party-led government, which wanted one high-speed line connecting Bangkok with Nong Khai province bordering Laos, some 615 km (382 miles) away, followed by a second line stretching 980 km south of the capital to Padang Basar at the Malaysian border.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/uk-thailand-rail-idUSLNE77M04B20110823

• Like 1

I wish the Junta well and hope they decided to progress with this infrastructure bill transparently. Though after seeing the Junta's rule so far I am sure this will be the case. No debt for the grandkids if this progresses.

General Prayuth needs to "re-educate or replace certain staff that do not understand maintenance being a key issue in the reliable and safe running of trains though. State Railways of Thailand (SRT) governor Prapat Chongsanguan has been on record as saying the SRT was looking for an artist to restore a 48-year-old painting at its headquarters amid rumors that the damaged artwork was a bad omen that had caused accidents. They wanted to restore a painting, as it is bad luck?

Artists don't keep trains running safely. Maintenance crews do. Well trained crews with expat supervision and money for continuous improvement and training.

And NO, Prapat, hiring mechanics that resemble Pablo Picasso does not count!

• Like 1

Perhaps the memory is fading, but I thought the high speed train plans were originally proposed by the Democrat Party, and so may have supporters across different colours.

Two big differences. The Democrats plan included a high-speed train to Nong Khai, not Chiang Mai, to link through to China, and the money was to come from the yearly budget, so would have had proper oversight, not like the 2.2 trillion baht plan of the PTP.

That is correct and in fact I would not be surprised if the Junta follow the model that the Dem's had put forward recently.

Financially responsible, transparent, funded out of the yearly budget and it was to be democratically scrutinized by parliament. All the things the PTP bill was not.

See below.

post-140765-0-05218000-1401356226_thumb.

Really, failed under a Democrat administration? Maybe you should do some checking first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Elevated_Road_and_Train_System

yes...try reading the atricle you linked.

Really, failed under a Democrat administration? Maybe you should do some checking first.

What were the problems "under a Democrat administration"?

Two big differences. The Democrats plan included a high-speed train to Nong Khai, not Chiang Mai, to link through to China, and the money was to come from the yearly budget, so would have had proper oversight, not like the 2.2 trillion baht plan of the PTP.

That is correct and in fact I would not be surprised if the Junta follow the model that the Dem's had put forward recently.

Financially responsible, transparent, funded out of the yearly budget and it was to be democratically scrutinized by parliament. All the things the PTP bill was not.

See below.

Parliamentary oversight would be one of the 15 key principles of democracy? Tell us again what the other 14 are

It would seem pretty obvious that if anything is to be done that the budget will have to rise from the previous year and in subsequent years as well.

PT did not budget for any of the improvements to transport because they assumed they would be able to get their hands on the 2.2 trillion so any "spending" could be hidden off budget.

If any of the much needed (without HS) projects are now going to go ahead they will now have to be done within budget which will allow a measure of scrutiny.

Hopefully the measures the military are now putting in place will increase the scrutiny of all these projects and most other things.

We hear that there are something like 30% kickbacks that must be paid on most contracts, if this can be stopped then it will mean the country gets 30% more for its baht.

What were the problems "under a Democrat administration"?

I thought it was under the "buffet" government of Chatchai Choonavan.

• Like 1

The Hopewell project failed miserably in August 1997 and was terminated in 1998 under the new Democrat party led coalition government which had started November 1997 and had inherited the mess left by the previous Gen. Chavalit government.

Try reading again maybe?

• Like 1

I wonder if the alleged under table drop revert from 30% back to 10%?

And putting the money in their/right pockets.

That is what it is all about.

The transport project as well as the water management are "mulled".

The unmasks one of the real purposes of the coup.

Removing a "bad" government was not one.

If it is true, thaen Thailand is saving 20% of tax payers money.

Bravo.

Picture two families:

One makes Bt.1 million annually

the other makes Bt.100,000 annually

The family which makes the big money (think; Japan), can afford bullet trains.

The family which makes smaller amounts (Thailand), cannot afford bullet trains.

So the poorer family should fix up its existing rail system, perhaps add double tracks in places, and a few upgrades on coaches, infrastructure, safety, etc. Perhaps later, the poorer family will make a lot more money. But with Thai tourism shooting itself in the foot (tougher visa-on-entry restrictions, etc) ...more eggs from the golden goose are not imminent.

The Hopewell Project was mired in the corruption and skimming that is endemic in Thailand.

Perhaps if the military adopted the Chinese system of dealing with corruption there would be a greater deterrent?

• Like 2

"Prime Minister Thaksin refused to endorse SRT's plan to revive the project and SRT governor Saravut Thammasiri said"

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok-masstransit-hopewellmain.html

It was the bad Thaksin that stop the project.

Else Thai people will be riding a modern transportation with Pride to out great Don Mueang Airport.

Don Mueang International Airport is the only airport inside the capital city of Bangkok.

all other airports in Thailand are located in other provinces such as Chiamgmai, Phuket, Samut Prakarn, etc).

Edited by chotthee