Spray foam filler to stop the damn birds from building nests.

bankruatsteve

So, I've searched and found some threads on spray foam insulation. But, what I want to do is fill in the cracks and gaps in the roof over our outdoor cooking area to stop the f-cking birds from trying to make nests. They try in the electric cable, the fan, and the cracks between the house and the roof. Every day there is nest 'stuff' all over the floor and the counter-top. Whenever I open the door, they fly away b/c they know my sling-shot is not far behind.

But - nothing works and they still try to build a nest.

So, maybe the good folks on this forum can tell me if I'm on the right path (IE: using a spray foam filler) or what other ideas?

Cheers

Home Pro sells the foam, it's not cheap....

It's also very messy and hard to apply in a confined area... been there tried that! facepalm.gif Make sure to use disposable gloves too if you try it! wink.png

If you do try the foam wait a few days then cut the foam as it will bulge out.... but it also leaves a stain on paintwork.... just be aware of that!

Perhaps some light wire fencing folded up to plug the holes?

Edited by samuijimmy

We have a few birdies making their homes, most I leave alone as they are no trouble.

The spaces where we want them to avoid living I've filled with some scrunched up wire netting (wear strong gloves) which is cheap, mess free and easily removed if necessary. I initially tried shaping the mesh, but gave it up as a bad job and just rammed it into the space.

The stuff I used is about 1cm square mesh, quite fine galvanised wire. I originally used it to make gutter screens to keep the pigeons from bunging up the downspouts with their home building activities but had a load left.

We have a few birdies making their homes, most I leave alone as they are no trouble.

The spaces where we want them to avoid living I've filled with some scrunched up wire netting (wear strong gloves) which is cheap, mess free and easily removed if necessary. I initially tried shaping the mesh, but gave it up as a bad job and just rammed it into the space.

The stuff I used is about 1cm square mesh, quite fine galvanised wire. I originally used it to make gutter screens to keep the pigeons from bunging up the downspouts with their home building activities but had a load left.

Yep that works....and to take it a little further, mix up some cement and sand and trowel it into the mesh.....

• 2 weeks later...

we used the standard blue screening material. Believe it or not the birds are afraid of getting tangled up in it. Mesh would work the same. Later I put a couple skim coats of cement & that ended the bird nesting problem

What I ended up doing was jamming some mesh into the hole, removing the shield from the fan (high enough so not need), and taping around the edges of the flashing between the roof and the wall. That stopped them from getting into those places, but the idiots keep bringing the straw, etc. thinking they are going to. Just a matter of time, I guess.

we get them trying to build at the blank ends of the guttering,so has I had been skewered by those sharp needle like thorns on a kaffir lime tree I tied a few lengths together bingo,even now the branches are dead the thorns are still there.

• Like 1

we get them trying to build at the blank ends of the guttering,so has I had been skewered by those sharp needle like thorns on a kaffir lime tree I tied a few lengths together bingo,even now the branches are dead the thorns are still there.

Using nature to fight nature.

That's using your head.