Tablet computer purchases suspended

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly believe these schemes the PTP kept trotting out were nothing more than scams with only one benefactor in mind, the PTP.

This stupid "one tablet per student" nonsense was doomed to fail and the money could have been much better spent, but it was only ever going to be a vote buying scam.

In fact, the only "scheme" that the PTP ever operated that worked was the actual vote buying - the voters were actually paid, the PTP got their votes and were put into power and everyone was happy, until the rice pledging scheme hit the fan. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

A positive, long overdue move but there are those who want the scheme continued ! We could speculate why and it's not to better education.

I have yet to read a positive post on these tablets from parents on this forum who have children in school but, as is is be expected, previously govt officials hailed it as a raging success.

If you haven't read positive posts (plural) on the tablets, then you haven't read everything, which is understandable.

However. Could you speculate on why the ministry of education officials, who hated the tablet deal, are thrilled at the coming "smart classroom" complete with sweet, exclusive deals with Microsoft which stipulate there will be no competition allowed? Of course, even if it saves just one child from failure, the gigantic increase in costs and finders fees will be worth it, I'm sure, right?

For Microsoft is an honorable firm.

I suspect that while the Army under General Pracha didn't seem to do much, what they seem to have done a lot of is observing, thinking how things could have been done better and a whole lot of forward planning.

I presume you mean Prayuth? I'm sure glad I never make typos, 555. I only ask in case you're talking about another general.

I fear, I mean as a taxpayer I sure do fear you are absolutely spot-on correct. Last time they only got a 27% increase in the military budget, hardly anything else. I'm sure that thinking carefully about all the other possibilities, such as how to finance the tens of thousands of "smart classrooms" is going to mean a lot more calls to Benz dealers in the next year or so. And it's only one week in!

Edited by wandasloan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The free tablets which didn't happen in the main, is somewhat akin to the first "village fund" money introduced under Thaksin.

In the Thaksin scheme, many bought mobile phones only to realise they could not afford the monthly fees to make calls.

With tablets, an internet connection is needed, and that costs extra money which many cannot afford.

Look around the villages though...There is no shortage of tablets and smart phones with the kids. No need for a government scheme!

The village fund was a brilliant scheme as many of the recipients gladly went about buying handphones & motorbikes from those in power at the time. IMO this was policy corruption on a grand scale.

The village fund - first time out. The mother of a good friend of my son was appointed to the highest level initial committee tasked to oversee the distribution of the funds along with a set of regulations as to how it could / could not be used, what records had to be maintained and lodged. 'Mother' was a high ranking official in the finance ministry.

She resigned on the spot (within a few days) after one discussion whereby it was dictated from above what the specific regulations would be, with blatant benefits for ..... along with no transparency.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Now can we see a full investigation from the NACC into what actually went on with this policy, the movement of money and exactly the amount lost.

Let's see what Chaturon has actually been up to with this scheme, and they already have the toad banged up, I doubt he will be leaving prison for a long time.... Just nice to see ALL the corruption from the Thaksin buddies getting exposed for the whole world to see.

This seems somewhat unfair considering Chaturon was tasked with cleaning up a mess engendered by rather less able colleagues. I guess some people are pleased that the "toad" is "banged up" and will be the first Thai civilian to face a military court for 30+ years. Some might object, were they able. And that's all I'll say for now...

A positive, long overdue move but there are those who want the scheme continued ! We could speculate why and it's not to better education.

I have yet to read a positive post on these tablets from parents on this forum who have children in school but, as is is be expected, previously govt officials hailed it as a raging success.

If you haven't read positive posts (plural) on the tablets, then you haven't read everything, which is understandable.

However. Could you speculate on why the ministry of education officials, who hated the tablet deal, are thrilled at the coming "smart classroom" complete with sweet, exclusive deals with Microsoft which stipulate there will be no competition allowed? Of course, even if it saves just one child from failure, the gigantic increase in costs and finders fees will be worth it, I'm sure, right?

For Microsoft is an honorable firm.

I suspect that while the Army under General Pracha didn't seem to do much, what they seem to have done a lot of is observing, thinking how things could have been done better and a whole lot of forward planning.

I presume you mean Prayuth? I'm sure glad I never make typos, 555. I only ask in case you're talking about another general.

I fear, I mean as a taxpayer I sure do fear you are absolutely spot-on correct. Last time they only got a 27% increase in the military budget, hardly anything else. I'm sure that thinking carefully about all the other possibilities, such as how to finance the tens of thousands of "smart classrooms" is going to mean a lot more calls to Benz dealers in the next year or so. And it's only one week in!

I am beginning to think that Wanda4 works for Apple, always running Microsoft down and it's founder, Bill Gates. Or maybe just can't get her head around Windows. giggle.gif

If she has an axe to grind with Microsoft why not contact Bill himself ?

• Like 1

Now can we see a full investigation from the NACC into what actually went on with this policy, the movement of money and exactly the amount lost.

Let's see what Chaturon has actually been up to with this scheme, and they already have the toad banged up, I doubt he will be leaving prison for a long time.... Just nice to see ALL the corruption from the Thaksin buddies getting exposed for the whole world to see.

This seems somewhat unfair considering Chaturon was tasked with cleaning up a mess engendered by rather less able colleagues. I guess some people are pleased that the "toad" is "banged up" and will be the first Thai civilian to face a military court for 30+ years. Some might object, were they able. And that's all I'll say for now...

If Chaturon didn't do anything wrong, he's got nothing to worry about.

As I understand it, he was called to report and refused. Probably not a smart thing to do.

And if there's more going on with the tablets and he is involved, he should answer for that as well.

I am beginning to think that Wanda4 works for Apple, always running Microsoft down and it's founder, Bill Gates. Or maybe just can't get her head around Windows.

I'm beginning to confirm my initial and second impressions that mikemac can't address an issue, and thinks that shooting a messenger will make the issue go away, even if it does force him to have to buy a cap another size larger.

Let's say you are completely, totally correct, Mr Mac, not even a comma out of place in judging me. Assume you are spot on and drilled the messenger right in the heart, shot me dead-eye to the ground. Assume that in shooting messengers you are a total machoman success top Grade-A prime.

Therefore, the effect on tablets, students, smart classrooms, corruption, under-the-table graft and more bureaucratic control than ever over the already abysmal education standards of Thailand will be what?

So far as Microsoft, my opinion is that the company is excellent at what it does, but that "what's good for Microsoft is good for Thailand" is not a terrific slogan for the new, military-approved classroom regime in Thailand. In fact, I'm pretty sure that "We get your children early and teach them good stuff no expense spared" by a new military-approved classroom regime isn't a fabulous slogan as our new masters settle in, either.

The number of people who think the military is a genius group in education policy is really creeping me out. The number of people unable to detect mutual back-scratching, ditto.

FINALLY some humour in this thread. About time.

Edited by wandasloan

I am beginning to think that Wanda4 works for Apple, always running Microsoft down and it's founder, Bill Gates. Or maybe just can't get her head around Windows.

I'm beginning to confirm my initial and second impressions that mikemac can't address an issue, and thinks that shooting a messenger will make the issue go away, even if it does force him to have to buy a cap another size larger.

Let's say you are completely, totally correct, Mr Mac, not even a comma out of place in judging me. Assume you are spot on and drilled the messenger right in the heart, shot me dead-eye to the ground. Assume that in shooting messengers you are a total machoman success top Grade-A prime.

Therefore, the effect on tablets, students, smart classrooms, corruption, under-the-table graft and more bureaucratic control than ever over the already abysmal education standards of Thailand will be what?

So far as Microsoft, my opinion is that the company is excellent at what it does, but that "what's good for Microsoft is good for Thailand" is not a terrific slogan for the new, military-approved classroom regime in Thailand. In fact, I'm pretty sure that "We get your children early and teach them good stuff no expense spared" by a new military-approved classroom regime isn't a fabulous slogan as our new masters settle in, either.

The number of people who think the military is a genius group in education policy is really creeping me out. The number of people unable to detect mutual back-scratching, ditto.

Wanda. What do YOU think would be more beneficial to students (now and future ) tablets or smart classrooms with interactive boards etc?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

They also could choose to relocate many of the money spent on education for better purposes, because half of the Thai students do not do a thing in school, but sleep.

Ummm electric pulse chairs with head motion detector!

It could possibly be said that Khun Chaturon was only put in the position as some sort of recompense for his 5 year ban from politics.

Tell us what he did to farther education in his short time as minister in the 6 reshuffle revolving chair cabinet of best people for the job.

Attempting to defy the army does not seem to be the move of a wise man, even if he did it on orders from above with a reward promised it will take a large sum to make up for the years of his life he is more than likely to lose.

Wanda. What do YOU think would be more beneficial to students (now and future ) tablets or smart classrooms with interactive boards etc?

I am a big fan of laptop-tablet giveaways, especially in lower grades. (Except the very original "one laptop per child" project mostly for Africa that had its heart but not its head in the right place.) So I would take tablets in your choice.

Actually, the Thai education system is so abysmal that overall, anything that is child-centric is good, which is another good thing about the tablets - the kids can go off on their own without some pooyai breathing down their necks.

I don't think most "wat schools" are going to benefit from the smart classrooms. Certainly a lot of schools can, but so much depends on the teacher, and how many good ones are there? Rhetorical question. The interactive stuff in smart classrooms demands a lot from the teachers. That is a BIG problem, no?

But a lot of kids in wat schools end up teaching themselves, even accidentally, with the tablets. And the teachers also like them (I'm sure the teachers also do Facebook and more, which is fine) meaning a certain very useful symbiosis between the kids and the teachers. To me, the tablet programme is way ahead. Plus this smart classroom thing is going to be really expensive, especially with the close military supervision it's getting.

My problem with Microsoft has nothing to do with its material and everything to do with its business methods, which I guess they *also* stole from Apple - rapacious, exclusive, opaque and then it starts getting bad. I'd be stunned if Microsoft wasn't selling Microsoft Office AND Surface 3 tablets at exceptional cost as opposed to free open-source office suites and excellent Chinese (or Thai-assembled) tablets at a third the cost.

It could possibly be said that Khun Chaturon was only put in the position as some sort of recompense for his 5 year ban from politics.

It definitely is said. Chaturon is an interesting person, exceptionally smart and actually he did quite a lot to TRY to reform education, which no one has accomplished in 100 years. He was extremely active and eventually stymied.

I think he was made education minister as some sort of punishment, possibly a knock-on. Education is usually where you put a bag man to bring in money for the party. That's not Chaturon at all. I think he was put in there to block one of the minor parties in the coalition who wanted the very, very lucrative post. Or maybe he really thought he could knock heads with the dreadful bureaucrats, that's possible. It's a thankless position, win OR lose in education reform.

Attempting to defy the army does not seem to be the move of a wise man, even if he did it on orders from above with a reward promised it will take a large sum to make up for the years of his life he is more than likely to lose.

Seems like the move of a self-declared martyr. My theory here is that after the next army massacre, when politics resumes, Chaturon is going to claim a reward for martyring himself. Just for example, he is an old Thai Rak Thai loyalist of the first order. And Pheu Thai or whatever the next version of the party is called will need a political leader and PM candidate. For example. Twice martyred, maybe he might make a demand there. Maybe.

As the high-paid men on TV always say, only time will tell.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

I am a big fan of laptop-tablet giveaways, especially in lower grades. (Except the very original "one laptop per child" project mostly for Africa that had its heart but not its head in the right place.) So I would take tablets in your choice.

Actually, the Thai education system is so abysmal that overall, anything that is child-centric is good, which is another good thing about the tablets - the kids can go off on their own without some pooyai breathing down their necks.

I don't think most "wat schools" are going to benefit from the smart classrooms. Certainly a lot of schools can, but so much depends on the teacher, and how many good ones are there? Rhetorical question. The interactive stuff in smart classrooms demands a lot from the teachers. That is a BIG problem, no?

But a lot of kids in wat schools end up teaching themselves, even accidentally, with the tablets. And the teachers also like them (I'm sure the teachers also do Facebook and more, which is fine) meaning a certain very useful symbiosis between the kids and the teachers. To me, the tablet programme is way ahead. Plus this smart classroom thing is going to be really expensive, especially with the close military supervision it's getting.

My problem with Microsoft has nothing to do with its material and everything to do with its business methods, which I guess they *also* stole from Apple - rapacious, exclusive, opaque and then it starts getting bad. I'd be stunned if Microsoft wasn't selling Microsoft Office AND Surface 3 tablets at exceptional cost as opposed to free open-source office suites and excellent Chinese (or Thai-assembled) tablets at a third the cost.

One smart classroom costs the same as 40 of the tablets and can service more than 40 kids!

I'm not against tablets for students BUT I think smart classrooms would be far better at this time!

• Like 1

Nice!!! This was the stupidest allocation of money I have ever heard of. All these kids would do with them is play games on them. All you need is a good solid computer lab for kids to do their work IF they didnt have a computer at home. Tablets are not a proper device for writing big papers anyways.

One smart classroom costs the same as 40 of the tablets and can service more than 40 kids!

I'm not against tablets for students BUT I think smart classrooms would be far better at this time!

They can take away our 2am discos. They can take away our 3am khao thom. But they can't remove our right to think.

You could be right. I think (heh) smart classrooms are fine but that the smart teachers required aren't generally available. I saw smart classrooms in quite excellent schools in the United States that were nothing but really neat whiteboards that you don't need to have dusty erasers, because of teachers that weren't up to the task.

I admit my prejudice, too. I don't like stuff that puts the bureaucrats MORE in control because I am 100% convinced that the bureaucrats are problem No. 1 in education. The top-down nature of the coming Thai smart classrooms will try to micro-manage every minute of class time, and thus encourage teachers to be terrible in smart classrooms.

I'll bet you this, though: That no smart classroom in Thailand is installed for the same price as 40 tablets. But for me it's not the cost, it's the {cough}extracosts{cough}.

They can take away our 2am discos. They can take away our 3am khao thom. But they can't remove our right to think.

You could be right. I think (heh) smart classrooms are fine but that the smart teachers required aren't generally available. I saw smart classrooms in quite excellent schools in the United States that were nothing but really neat whiteboards that you don't need to have dusty erasers, because of teachers that weren't up to the task.

I admit my prejudice, too. I don't like stuff that puts the bureaucrats MORE in control because I am 100% convinced that the bureaucrats are problem No. 1 in education. The top-down nature of the coming Thai smart classrooms will try to micro-manage every minute of class time, and thus encourage teachers to be terrible in smart classrooms.

I'll bet you this, though: That no smart classroom in Thailand is installed for the same price as 40 tablets. But for me it's not the cost, it's the {cough}extracosts{cough}.

Your so cynical!

I know a school whose principal decided NOT to have the tablets .. she requested the money be spent on interactive whiteboards.

6 classrooms done (6 P1 classes) but all grades use them.

I do agree about bureaucrats!

Ever done any teaching?

The tablets were the wrong tool for the job in hand. They were ok for games and that resulted in many small home businesses closing where kids no longer needed to go to someone's home and play games on their computers (we're talking rural villages here). The poster who mentioned interactive whiteboards: way to go ..... but will teachers be trained to use them? Will the software be available?

Your so cynical!

I know a school whose principal decided NOT to have the tablets .. she requested the money be spent on interactive whiteboards.

I disagree. I am convinced almost every day I am not nearly cynical enough.

I hope it was a successful programme and she wasn't just another anti-tablet fanatic, afraid that children couldn't possibly handle technology. I've seen too many of those. Children aren't *better* than adults at technology, it's just that children have no built-in prejudices and just accept it for what it is and handle it perfectly.

I'd note either way that just like my experience in the US, anecdotes are not data. I have no doubt there are dozens of schools where smart classrooms will be fantastic successes - but out of tens of thousands of classrooms.

Edited by wandasloan

Thaksin called, he's wondering where his lackey is.....found her!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

How about relocating the funds into a decent teacher training scheme that actually produces proper teachers. Thailand may then at last be able to move forward in a meaningful way with properly educated children.

100% correct. Thailand would be transformed in years to come if kids were not taught by rote but rather were encouraged to think and question.

That should upset Thaksin, since it seemed he was the middleman brokering the deal and taking his salesman's cut.

I looked up the requirements for the tablets and found the same thing online for cheaper than what Thailand was being forced to pay.

Just another Thaksin lining his pockets scheme I am guessing.

Putting the brakes on spending more on this worthless tablet scam comes just in time.

The Education Ministry was just days ago asking for FOUR BILLION BAHT more.

Posted 2014-05-27 06:22:49

BANGKOK: -- THE OFFICE of Basic Education Commission (Obec) is pushing for the One Tablet Per Child project to continue.

"We will seek a budget of more than Bt4 billion for purchasing tablets for the 2014 academic year"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729403-thailands-obec-wants-to-continue-with-tablets-for-students/

Which department of the ex-administration was responsible for the essential follow-up assessments ?

Surely, no government would spend so much money on such a "flagship" project without also planning an ongoing cost-effectivess evaulation ?

Unless of course, they were awash with spare funds ................ and justifying expenditure didn't matter.

A rice-farmer assured me this must be the case, because he knew that all their other schemes were fully costed and funded.

whistling.gif

Your so cynical!

6 classrooms done (6 P1 classes) but all grades use them.

I do agree about bureaucrats!

Ever done any teaching?

In one of the schools I used to teach they installed 3 smart classrooms (2years ago), up to date no-one use them as intended! The teachers haven't received any training. The information about the hardware and software isn't in one language it's mixed Chinese,Thai and English!? Now the company that did the installation is gone/closed (about 1 month after installation) and I know that they did atleast 5 more schools.

I'm for smart classrooms but Thailand need to get rid of the corruption first otherwise it will be like this in more schools!!!

It definitely is said. Chaturon is an interesting person, exceptionally smart and actually he did quite a lot to TRY to reform education, which no one has accomplished in 100 years. He was extremely active and eventually stymied.

I think he was made education minister as some sort of punishment, possibly a knock-on. Education is usually where you put a bag man to bring in money for the party. That's not Chaturon at all. I think he was put in there to block one of the minor parties in the coalition who wanted the very, very lucrative post. Or maybe he really thought he could knock heads with the dreadful bureaucrats, that's possible. It's a thankless position, win OR lose in education reform.

Seems like the move of a self-declared martyr. My theory here is that after the next army massacre, when politics resumes, Chaturon is going to claim a reward for martyring himself. Just for example, he is an old Thai Rak Thai loyalist of the first order. And Pheu Thai or whatever the next version of the party is called will need a political leader and PM candidate. For example. Twice martyred, maybe he might make a demand there. Maybe.

As the high-paid men on TV always say, only time will tell.

"Education is usually where you put a bag man to bring in money for the party." Yes, and with that in mind, it's actually interesting that the last two ministers PT put there, Pongthep and Chaturon, were probably their two most capable cabinet members. Of course, that isn't saying a great deal, given that most cabinet members seemed decidedly unfit for their roles, Chadchart excepted too, perhaps. Yet Pongthep and Chaturon were at least talking about reforming the curriculum to encourage critical thinking rather than rote learning and blind acceptance of whatever the teacher says. I believe that the reform plan was pretty much finished and some of it will be implemented by the new government. Yet I expect any intention of promoting critical thought might be superceded now by demands to instill "ethics". which is the opposite of critical thought. As you say, no different to what they've been doing for the last century.

As for Robby's remark about Chaturon being unwise, well, yes. Needless to say self-preservation and commitment to principles aren't generally in accord during times like this. The vast majority of the other politicians are looking to do deals and save their own skins. Not many would be willing to take a stand on principle. Chaturon is probably one of the few exceptions from either party. Those who will stand on principle, academics, student leaders, journalists, activists etc are the ones who have most to fear at the moment, but spineless self-serving politicians, not so much. Even corruption cases can be made to go away if you're willing to "do the right thing".

Edited by Emptyset