Applicants urged to take note of new licensing process for Thai drivers' license

webfact

Applicants urged to take note of new licensing process for drivers' license

PNECO570530001000101_30052014_092523.jpe

BANGKOK, 30 May 2014 (NNT) – Those looking to renew or apply for their driver's license are advised to take note of the new issuing process coming into use by the Land Transport Department starting on June 2.

Under the new licensing process, the number of questions each applicant will be tested on has been increased to 50. Importantly, the passing mark has been adjusted to 90%, meaning that test-takers need to get 45 questions correct. Previously, applicants were given only 30 questions, and the passing mark was 75% – getting 22 out of 35 questions correct would result in a pass.

The 50 questions produced for each applicant will be drawn from a set of 1,000 questions. Previously, the questions bank comprised just 300 questions. All of the 1,000 questions will be available for study on the Land Transport Department's website, so that applicants can prepare for the test beforehand.

The written test test aside, other aspects of the licensing process remains unchanged. License applicants must be at least 18 years old, and the driving test will be carried out either on the day after the written test or within 90 days. Persons with physical deformation such as those with only one arm or one leg, the hearing impaired, or those with only one good eye, must first seek counseling from Land Transport Department officials before they can apply.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-30 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good thing is they really thought this through, not

If it becomes hard or too time consuming simply less people will have license , as penalty for driving without one remains unchanged .

If you get caught, 500 and keep on driving

• Like 1

The new licencing process will help to reduce the amount of new drivers that do not understand the regulations. It will also increase the quantity of drivers without licence. I have a permanent drivers licence, there for I never have to be retested. Overall it looks like a good start.

Last time I renewed my 5 year license , had to sit through a couple hours of traffic videos.

There were hundreds of others in there doing the same as well

If everyone had to retake the driving test.. Not how long it would take

As it was, showed up at 09:00 and didn't leave until about 16:30.... This was in BKK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was making my car and motorbike license test I found that there are a few errors in the program/computer box which can make it impossible to pass as foreigner (should you happen to get those questions), as the translation is wrong or not understandable. This test I made in Nakhon Nayok last year. I told the staff there but they understandably don't know what to do as they are given those machines.

Edit: Typo

Edited by sedeflonga

does this apply to ONLY new drivers?

I have not taken the written test/driving test since 1988

Only Color, brake and distance

Yes only new drivers. You will have to refresh it every 5 years (in my case).If you already have a license then they only make a visual test (eye test with pulling a rope an item to the right place), brake and color and have to look a 45min Traffic-movie which explains traffic rules. Be advised that you will have to make all the examination if you license expires.

Edit: Typo

Edited by sedeflonga

According to this article every time we renew our license we will need to do a written test.

I doubt this is the case now either.

Your question is relevant and no one did answer.

I have to write it one more time: Are you sure that this measure regards the renewal of license?

• Like 1

Yes only new drivers. You will have to refresh it every 5 years (in my case).If you already have a license then they only make a visual test (eye test with pulling a rope an item to the right place) and have to look a 45min Traffic-movie which explains traffic rules. Be advised that you will have to make all the examination if you license expires.

I guess you are right but the article mentions "renew". Is this another excellent and accurate piece of journalism?

• Like 1

Yes only new drivers. You will have to refresh it every 5 years (in my case).If you already have a license then they only make a visual test (eye test with pulling a rope an item to the right place) and have to look a 45min Traffic-movie which explains traffic rules. Be advised that you will have to make all the examination if you license expires.

cool;

I have never seen the movie :-)

am sure u need do color and brake as well as it seems i need do those every 5 years

cool;

am sure u need do color and brake as well as it seems i need do those every 5 years

yes you are right, I forgot to mention color and brake. I am quiet sure that owners of license do not have to make a wriiten test,. It would be infeasable to make it mantatory for eveyone WITH a license.

TW and Daughter fronted up yesterday to get theirs at Sawan Daeng Din, Sakon Nakhon before the new requirements. Queues a mile long - told to come back so left today at 05:00, still there as I type this.

Licenses or not they will not be driving my car solo until they can fulfill the benchmarks I have set.

• Like 1

According to this article every time we renew our license we will need to do a written test.

I doubt this is the case now either.

Yes when I renewed my license I did not have to re take my test the story says that we have to check if we want to renew

But the article does not mention it

So when my 5 years is due for rental so I had to re take the test ?!??

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

cool;

Depends on which Vehicle Department you have to go to. Last time I went for my renewal, in Takua Pa/Phangnga, they only made me read a small booklet about traffic rules, no tests carried out whatsoever.

Edited by keestha

The new licencing process will help to reduce the amount of new drivers that do not understand the regulations. It will also increase the quantity of drivers without licence. I have a permanent drivers licence, there for I never have to be retested. Overall it looks like a good start.

And how do you get a permanent drivers license ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

And how do you get a permanent drivers license ?

You got one before 2005.

I hope this has no impact on my life-time licence obtained prior to 2005 by virtue of having permanent residence. Never took any test to get it, apart from eye sight test. Just showed UK driving licence. After that no more life-time licences were issued but they started issuing 5-year licences instead of 3-year ones which were previously the lorm, short of life-time licenses. Needed to get one 1-year licence, then one 3-year licence before you could apply for a life-time one.