Looking for out of the ordinary (strange, interesting, bizarre) activities to do

Fredward

Hi guys,

I've done all the typical things you do in CM, woodworking, visiting farms, elephant riding, bamboo rafting, kayaking etc. I'm looking for new interesting things to do, bizarre is fine, just something most people don't really know or hear about in general. I guess this is directed to all the older guys who've been here long enough to possibly have seen, come across it.

An example I could give you would be a guy who arranged his trees into different shapes by bending the branches to make seats, it was overheard not quite sure if it really does exist, but things like that, or farmers who grow their fruit in frames to change their shapes? I know they've done square and heart shaped watermelons in Japan.

However I'm into anything, so whatever ideas you guys have please do tell!

• Like 1

If you're going to be here for a while, the Chiang Mai Fencing Club is always welcoming new players. Male and female, any skill level from beginner to expert, any age. We have members from age 11-67. We're sending a delegation down to compete in the Royal Thai Navy's international tournament next month. The more, the merrier!

PM me for more information.

Caving isn't on your list and there is a crazy variety of caves in the north.

Plenty of places to wild fish if that interests you, though the pay ponds are fun, easy to hook something and so affordable.

Thai national parks offer accommodations from tenting to large comfortable houses, plus all sorts of opportunities from caves, nice swimming waters, hiking, natural hot springs, bird and flower watching. The further away from the city the quieter the park, I've stayed in a couple dozen different parks and some our real gems.

You mentioned kayaking; have you floated the remote regions of the Ping and other neighboring streams, which is a great way to spend a day and not see another soul, have you enjoyed a night away on the floating cabins on nearby reservoirs?

Depending on your interests local clubs from all different types of hobbies are extremely welcoming of people with similar interests (far more so than the clubs in the town I live now); ie RC's planes, flying real ones, 4x4 exploring, mountain biking, fly tying, etc etc list is huge.

Softball, golf, and ultimate frisbee are not out of the ordinary, only if you consider the challenge of doing these activities in 40c plus weather bizarre.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, you are asking both the wrong people and in the wrong language. There is a planet, TI87623x to be exact, that speaks, well, not English. We, I mean they, communicate via certain tree patterns on doi suthep. For only $100,000 Baht, I can help you speak our, i mean their, language and have you find the special trees that allow you to communicate with the rarest species this side of the Universe. To me, communicating with aliens isn't that crazy, but you might enjoy it. Note: if you cannot see our species or tree patterns, sorry no refunds. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Walking up to Wat Doi Suthep is a really good hike. Head up to the top of the Suthep Road and look for the sign "Palad Nature Trail." Once you get to Wat Palad it can be a bit difficult to find the trail heading up to Wat Soi Suthep, so ask anybody you see for directions.

Why not try the Chang Mai, 3 day Rain Forest Trek,3 days away from the Bars,some pleasant company,basic meals,together with camping style accomodation,see the hill tribe people,Elephant riding,Rafting,sleep by the waterfalls. This is a 20+mile rugged trip,so don't think it's a walk in the park! And it goes without saying,some Beutiful Scenery. switch off and enjoy,it's not expensive,considering you will remember it for the rest of your life! available from Travel Agents near the moat!

PS. Don't forget to bring a bottle of whiskey or whatever,you can buy beers at the overnight camps,but it's not cheap considering the guides carry the bottles in a ruck sack for miles,wouldn't we all want a decent profit?

Brilliant! You guys have been amazing, thanks so much, well, maybe apart from you opalred..guess it was a suggestion nontheless! Cheers and keep em coming guys, if u so wish I'll definitely be checking every now and then :)

Peace.

Come join us on our night out of adventurous dining around CM soon. Basically we have a few set places to try and will hunt out others that are serving extreme exotic foods. Not for the squimish or picky eaters. Only cost is your own food and drink bills. I'll drive and plan on a progressive diner which is eating a course or two at a restaurant and moving onto the next.

Come join us on our night out of adventurous dining around CM soon. Basically we have a few set places to try and will hunt out others that are serving extreme exotic foods. Not for the squimish or picky eaters. Only cost is your own food and drink bills. I'll drive and plan on a progressive diner which is eating a course or two at a restaurant and moving onto the next.

And a few roadkill nibbles on the way w00t.gif

• Like 1

You can rent a big ball

Sit inside and roll down the hill!

Check before your stomage is emty!

Or slide down into a dark would

On a old rope that proberbly not strong enough for heavey farangs!

Or you can join a helicopter propeller tour Gide and fly over big city's !

You might want to visit the Museum of Insects and Natural wonders on Srimankalajan. It's a throwback to 19th century museums which reflected the interests of the owner. In this case she's a mosquito research expert. But, as I recall, there's other stuff including souvenirs from vacations. It's bizarre and bizarrely entertaining.

• Like 2

Pro-gres-sion a night of climbing and conversation about sustainability, personal growth and adventure at CMRCA Bouldering Wall 55/3 Ratchapkhinai Road Hosted by Chiang Mai Rock Climbing Adventures, Creative Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai University Science and Technology Park 4pm FREE climbing on the bouldering wall 6pm FREE Thai food (craft beer for sale) 7pm TED talk video screening FREE ADMISSION 053-207-102

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

All very relevant as to what you think "unusual," of course. Both decent and indecent suggestions above. Depends upon your age and proclivities, I suppose. But there ar some 'different" sorts of things to do that are family pursuits.

There's a traditional "tourist route," which can be quite pleasant but can get "old" if overdone. Depends how interested and knowledgeable --- that is, preparation you do --- you are. Then, there are the "attractions" of bungee jumping, sedated tigers, caged monkeys, snake "farms," and other such "attractions"such as churning up the local landscape on ATVs that do indeed draw an appalling number of tourists from what I can gather.

All in all, if you are really serious, study Northern Thailand before you get here and learn a diffrent place when you get here, not one sometimes regretably polluted by tourist interests for a "fun time."

And for many, come to think of it, eating Lanna food would be an adventure --- and not an unpleasant one. Nevermind the resident western food restaurants who only offer a "taste of home." What kind of adventure is that ?!

• Like 2

A "must" for bizarre seekers is the hot foot massage at Hang Dong Thai Massage School. You'll need to call ahead so they can get the coals ready. That's all I'm going to say...

except

Here's a link

http://www.cosozo.com/sources-listing-silver/hang-dong-thai-massage-school

Well, there is also the foot sucking fish massage for bizarre.